AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

View Poll Results: Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans - Episode 50 [END] Rating
Perfect 10 23 23.71%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 16 16.49%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 9 9.28%
7 out of 10 : Good 9 9.28%
6 out of 10 : Average 6 6.19%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 2.06%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 4 4.12%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 1.03%
1 out of 10 : Painful 27 27.84%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2017-04-02, 09:46   Link #121
Key Board
Carbon

The ending seems to mirror a lot about what Japan feels about itself and its position in the world
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-02, 09:59   Link #122
Fairy Water

calm down guys, Almira didn't even make her appearance, such a waste, she might have become a fine lady by now.

Tbh, the day Mika killing people around with no mercy in his eyes I already prepared to see him pay for it but this ending is still quite sad for me eventhough in his imagination, he already reunited with Orga.

It IS quite frustrated that Rustal is doing what Mcgillis wants to do after putting up a war with hundred loss. But with this kind of smart villain, only Lelouch's strategy level or an assassinate event could kill him off. If not, we have to put up with this government.

IBO is so logical or should I say 'realistic' that it's sometime such a pain in the foot. *sigh*
Fairy Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-02, 10:01   Link #123
TheForsaken
Winter is coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon1412 View Post
well I still don't think anyone in this series could possibly trump over Idiok's level of plot armor.

I did said that I understand that is the nature course in point 2 above. Point was how he win, I mean, I do understand that it impossible to do anything to Rustal the moment the result was decided, He was the one who keep the entire forces together. It was mostly the bad aftertaste and the whole level of plot armor and dumb bomb on McGillis to make team Rustal win. Heck I even knew of a novel about a bad guy as MC, and trust me, his level of evil put even those guy from Overlord to a kiddy play, but he is smart, and he trial and test his plan over and over until he success, at any case, while still acknowledge him as evil, I still admit the guy plan deserved the victory.

P.S: Was Trump that bad ?? not an American so I don't know, but my teacher back in school said he was amazing
Rustal had more troops, better weapons and better strategy. Of course it's logical that he won.

The only time Tekkadan could be a threat to Rustal was when Shino shot at his ship. People cry that Julieta got lucky and made Shino miss. But why don't they ask the questions: Why was Julieta the only one who reacted? What were other mobile suits and battleships doing? Why did they only shoot at Shino after he missed but not before?

Let's face it: That scene happening that way is for dramatic effect. If it had happened realistically then Tekkadan would haven't been able to remotely threaten Rustal. So it's not plot armor that saved Rustal, it's plot armor that allowed Tekkadan to scare him a little, similar to how Leonidas failed to kill Xerxes.

By the way, Rustal didn't need Iok and Julieta to win. Without them, the result is the same. The only reason he sent them to fight is to help them get achievements. It's blatantly obvious in this episode: Shooting the two gundams from the orbit so that Julieta or Iok could last hit them. Iok was just too dumb to realize that.
Old 2017-04-02, 10:03   Link #124
Ernietheracefan

The LOL moment is when you realized that Mika & Akatsuki are named after IJN's destroyers..

While comparing Tamayura with Aria is more like comparing Vividred with SW.
Ernietheracefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-02, 10:05   Link #125
xeviouses

Da hell!? Julietta winning against Mika!?

Great, so Rustal gets away with everything..at least Kudelia now heads Mars and Atra has a kid.

This--this can't be the ending, I know it was said that IBO was always a Mafia story but still..

Season 3 or sequel perhaps? What do guys think?

EDIT:

Just rewatched it, yup Mika was already dead by the time Julietta got to him. A Yukimura Sanada homage it seems.

Last edited by xeviouses; 2017-04-02 at 10:41.
xeviouses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-02, 10:08   Link #126
Butagami

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Just saw it on YT.

Hooooo.........what an ending....... I actually like it

They went with the Braveheart ending where main bad guys win and got what they wanted while most of the protags got screwed but Mars actually got liberated in the end and got economical boost and no more human debris, no more stinky aristocratic rulers like Iok and Nobliss offed without dignity. All the bad omens sprinkled throughout the series for Tekkadan have come true where Tekkadan as an organization is perished, but some of the remaining members got second chance at life. They keep moving forward in different ways to survive and being successful in life just like what Orga wanted. Tekkadan is a means of an end, and the end is pretty much achieved now. And Mika’s child is the symbol of hope just like William Wallace’s unborn child in Braveheart.

Also, so many people confuse bad/grim/bitter ending with bad writing. I’m glad they went all the way. Everything is following on what’s already established before. There’s no random deus ex machina like MAs suddenly appear just so that Tekkadan can finish off Rustal, or Gali suddenly betraying and shooting Rustal like many have predicted and wanted. You want an example of bad writing in Gundam? Look no further than Gundam Wing where Zechs want to blow up Earth for no good reason or Gundam Age last arc that is outright insulting your intelligence. Not even Destiny is that bad when it comes to story aside from recycling some SEED elements and retconning Mwu’s death.

Also, That fucking Iok Kujan is dead in one of the most miserable ways possible. Thank fucking god! I'm a happy man!

Wrong. Dainsleif is banned, not impossible to reproduce once you study it. Even Teiwaz can make one. And it’s already established since Iok’s massacre that Gjallarhorn have a warehouse full of them (maybe even more).

No, not even close. Delta is half-ass in almost every way. It has half-ass male MC, half-ass romance, half-ass villains, half-ass battles, and even half-ass ending that threatened the Macross franchise.

IBO goes all the way.
Glad I'm not the only one who liked it. It was brutal and sad, but in the end things did get better.

One thing I liked about Rustal, is that he never suffered Villain Decay/Villainous Breakdown. Throughout the entire conflict he used his superior resources properly, instead of mindlessly sending in grunts to die wave after wave. The only way Tekkadan & McGillis could've won is if Gaelio suddenly switched sides and murdered Rustal, Macky had a mole inside Rustal's ship and he killed him, or if Rustal went full Iok retard and got himself killed that way. So this was the expected outcome.

I did hate how McGillis suffered some decay over the season. It's somewhat understandable that his experiences have left him with a warped view of how the world works, but I expected more from him. A nice Chessmaster-to-Chessmaster battle between him and Rustal would have been nice.

I was sort of hoping that Kudelia and Eugene had a plan to whack Rustal after that meeting in the epilogue, but I guess they chose continuing their path over getting revenge.

Nobliss got Tyriowned! Nice going Ride, fat bastard had it coming after everything, that man deserved to die even more than Rustal.

Also, adulthood hit Atra like a Dainsleif...
Old 2017-04-02, 10:10   Link #127
mickbis

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeviouses View Post
Da hell!? Julietta winning against Mika!?

Great, so Rustal gets away with everything..at least Kudelia now heads Mars and Atra has a kid.

This--this can't be the ending, I know it was said that IBO was always a Mafia story but still..

Season 3 or sequel perhaps? What do guys think?
No, it empty victory on her part
Mika already died at that point and she isn't responsible for his death
Mika is wound and already a beast at death door during his final moment fight against her and a lot of grunt
all she did is stab and Hung Babartos head and declared victory against "Devil"

realized at the very end that those Devil are more human than her and everyone else she know
and acknowledge those human in her heart
mickbis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-02, 10:38   Link #128
AswgLaghima08

The people complaining that Julietta beat Mika are clearly blind, he died or was unconscious already on his last charge and the taking of Barbatos head is more for symbolism

And Dainsleif are OP asf and i love it, way better than beams, literally why i cant finish any UC series is because in a battle where human resources dont mean a thing against a beam is stupid, entertaining but stupid. But them Dainsleif baby them thangs is beautiful, but seriously i know it was said to be a banned or illegal weapon but in all honesty i think the Gundam Dainsleif which use two ahab reactors will oneshot most anything in IBO , but the Graze Dainsleif need multiple units to do damage, like that Orbital bombardment on about 4-5 shot but they demolished most of the battlefield .

Beggers cant be choosers. But people who feel entitled will always begg and choose
AswgLaghima08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-02, 10:48   Link #129
akumaten

Well down the line, Jullieta does die of old age and her consciousness is put in a robot body. Giving her a second chance to shine as
Spoiler for Seiyuu Joke:

Also was hoping Ride would take Cookie as his wife or as his maid (Maid Dragon Seiyuu joke)
akumaten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-02, 10:52   Link #130
TheDoctor324

gonna have to agree with everyone about how fucking crappy that ending was.....jesus christ how can rustal's ship stay in orbit with all that armor?

when mika was getting up i almost thought it was another mobile armor and not him for a sec....that last rage of the beast was awesome and space guts getting his revenge was the perfect way to go out

but yeah for those three to get off scott free, and don't you come to me about gali gali's legs, is total bullshit. mika was already done before the cockpit was ripped off....not even a kill in my book....fucking horse shit......but on the other hand if you look at it from rustal's side that was a smart move.....but i'm still pissed off you high hell.

ride getting back at the fat man was nice, and that little kid....looks just like him but the hair and the smile....i think that's the smile atra always wanted to see mika have.

but still just plain pissed off.....wouldn't be surprised if a few people try to pull a ride and go on a killing spree....but still fuck those plot armored bitches
TheDoctor324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-02, 10:53   Link #131
Ryuuoh DeltaPlus
A Random Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
The ending seems to mirror a lot about what Japan feels about itself and its position in the world
Well, one could think of it that way too
Old 2017-04-02, 10:58   Link #132
DMurphy

Maybe hold off on the 'ooh, maybe it's about how Japan sees itself' psychoanalysis. It's a bit reductive, and a bit -- you know, weird.

Latest Review: Psycho-Pass 2 and Legend of Korra
DMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-02, 11:02   Link #133
quagmire

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDoctor324 View Post
gonna have to agree with everyone about how fucking crappy that ending was.....jesus christ how can rustal's ship stay in orbit with all that armor?
Iok and Julietta surviving their last battles against McG and Mika respectfully is plot armor.... Rustal staying in the ship is just being a smart commander and staying in the ship since there was no reason for him to leave it. Him leaving and heading to the surface while the battle was still raging on would be out of character for him. He was also never pushed to the edge of defeat for him to do a reverse McG and charge out in a desperate attempt to win. Rustal was in control the whole series. Played the right moves, stayed calmed, and collected. The closest he came to death was Shino's failed shot.

I think once people give it some time and get over their initial reaction of this not being a traditional good guys win Gundam series, people will hold IBO to be one of the best Gundam series. It may not get Seed admiration due to the bad ending, but the story telling was good and better than Seed, IMHO.
quagmire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-02, 11:08   Link #134
TheDoctor324

oh i understand the tactical strategy that rusty had....i'm not bashing on that in the least......maybe if you read my full comment you'd even see that i said that he was using a great plan to deal with mika.

i'm just hating on them from a tekkadan point of view....because i would rather see ghallerhorn just burn.....
Old 2017-04-02, 11:11   Link #135
Raviel

I think Rustal is the closest we'll ever get to a Gundam villain that actually plays smart and pushes his overwhelming advantage.

Whatever else may be said about the show, Rustal's methods are actually pretty refreshing considering the franchise he's a villain in.

If this had been any other Gundam AU Rustal would've whipped out the Elion family's Gundam and gotten a mutual kill on Mika or Akihiro.
Raviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-02, 11:13   Link #136
Shawdawg

I didn't completely hate this episode myself. But the mass using of Dansleif's by Rustal really rub me the wrong way. It's what Naze was killed for supposedly shipping.

Then they get used against Macky's forces and finally used against Mars. Nobody documents this down and reports this? The fact Tekkadan wasn't given a chance to surrender was never released to the Mars Public at least? People say Gjallarhorn got reformed in the end because of what Mcgillis did, but it still has a corrupt bastard at the helm.
Shawdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-02, 11:16   Link #137
Key Board
Carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMurphy View Post
Maybe hold off on the 'ooh, maybe it's about how Japan sees itself' psychoanalysis. It's a bit reductive, and a bit -- you know, weird.
well, how about I rephrase that..
Sometimes you have to accept loses and compromise with powerful but shady people in order to push your own agenda?
at the very least, I don't see this kind of story coming from Hollywood who is so used to winner and ideological purity narrative
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-02, 11:18   Link #138
TheDoctor324

that's cuz we don't need hollywood to do that.....we just need to turn on the news....
Old 2017-04-02, 11:20   Link #139
quagmire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawdawg View Post
Then they get used against Macky's forces and finally used against Mars. Nobody documents this down and reports this? The fact Tekkadan wasn't given a chance to surrender was never released to the Mars Public at least? People say Gjallarhorn got reformed in the end because of what Mcgillis did, but it still has a corrupt bastard at the helm.
How do we know McG would have turned GH into a better organization? All he wanted to do was what Rustal ended up reforming GH into. Yeah McG didn't use the Dainslelf himself, but he also pulled some shady stuff too ( orchestrating Carta's death, using Ein to expose GH corruption and ability to gain the AV himself, etc). Only reason why we like McG and not Rustal is because McG hid his shady self with his charm and demeanor ( and he was aligned with Tekkaden). Rustal was extremely open of his shady self. McG could be just as shady. He was just very good at hiding it.
quagmire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-02, 11:23   Link #140
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raviel View Post
I think Rustal is the closest we'll ever get to a Gundam villain that actually plays smart and pushes his overwhelming advantage.

Whatever else may be said about the show, Rustal's methods are actually pretty refreshing considering the franchise he's a villain in.

If this had been any other Gundam AU Rustal would've whipped out the Elion family's Gundam and gotten a mutual kill on Mika or Akihiro.
Actually, Gilbert Durandal from Destiny is quite shrewd too. Heck, some fans even genuinely supported him. But he had shitty luck fighting Lacus the Mary Sue and her companies . Strike Freedom + Infinite Justice + Akatsuki + Triple Doms + TSA + METEOR + Yzak's squad were just too much for Gil even though he remained in the safety of his stronghold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawdawg View Post
Then they get used against Macky's forces and finally used against Mars. Nobody documents this down and reports this?
No use since Nobliss owned the Mars media, and he worked with Rustal.