Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2007-05-02, 13:03   Link #81
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Sadly, it means that many works will just remain "our little secret" as foreign readers. OTOH... it may be that a very small outfit like SevenSeas might be interested (given some of their other recent niche acquisitions).
I was also thinking that a small company might want to license it... my first thought came to CMX, which made me shudder (they got a hold of my beloved Hitsuji no Namida!). But still, it'd be better than nothing.

Actually, I vowed some years ago that I would never buy Englishified manga again. (The original Japanese counterparts are cheaper, and they force me to translate.) The only reason I care whether titles get licensed or not is... I need to rant about series to people. It really sucks knowing one great series and not having anyone to talk about it with (see my thread: Posutaru WORK - I bet you anything that there are no replies). Anyways, that's my lame reasoning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPianoBoy View Post
I'm 90% sure an anime by Square Enix was licensed just recently. I wanna say it was Higurashi, but I know that's not it. Grr... I can't remember which one it was...
Recently, I don't know (I don't keep track of that stuff ). But wasn't Kingdom Hearts a Square Enix title? It drew popularity from the games, of course, but the fact remains that it's SE, so I would suppose that KH would open the window to other SE titles? Non?

Edit: Alright alright, CMX isn't that bad. I just have an unreasonable, irrational grudge against it. :P
Risaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-02, 15:27   Link #82
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risaa View Post
I was also thinking that a small company might want to license it... my first thought came to CMX, which made me shudder (they got a hold of my beloved Hitsuji no Namida!).
Edit: Alright alright, CMX isn't that bad. I just have an unreasonable, irrational grudge against it. :P
For what it's worth, CMX is by far the largest company of the manga publishers - they're owned by DC Comics, which is owned by Time Warner. They simply have one of the smallest catalogues of material. So feel free to dislike them as much as you want.
Quote:
Recently, I don't know (I don't keep track of that stuff ). But wasn't Kingdom Hearts a Square Enix title? It drew popularity from the games, of course, but the fact remains that it's SE, so I would suppose that KH would open the window to other SE titles? Non?
You're correct, Kingdom Hearts is a Square Enix title, but there's actually a better example: Fullmetal Alchemist is a SE title and last I checked, it's reasonably popular.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPianoBoy View Post
I'm 90% sure an anime by Square Enix was licensed just recently. I wanna say it was Higurashi, but I know that's not it. Grr... I can't remember which one it was...
Well, SE doesn't actually do the anime, but I'd guess you mean a spin-off of a SE manga was licensed. My guess would be that you mean Pani Poni Dash! However, the manga for PPD! hasn't been licensed either. Hare + Guu and Spiral are two more series that are based off of SE manga properties that have been licensed and released in the states.
I would guess that Vexx's guess holds best true though, if it's going to be released it'll probably be Seven Seas that does it. Since they've already acquired He Is My Master, that makes them somewhat logical to look at the rest of SE's library. CMX would be another possibility since they stated a while ago that they were mostly interested in short, completed, non-fanservice series (after the whole Ten Ten debacle).
Old 2007-05-02, 23:08   Link #83
robertness

I'm going to join the general chorus of disbelief. Why hasn't this series been licensed? I think Mahoraba is one of the best series in ages. The comedy is good, the cuteness is heartwarming, and the drama works.

What I like best about Mahoraba is a complete lack of "throw away" characters. Nobody is there because an editor said, "You need a <stereotype du jour> character." All of the characters have a background and many of them could have been the star of their own series if the "camera" had been pointed in their direction.

Can it really be that Mahoraba hasn't been picked up because the humor isn't crude, there aren't scantily clad women with gravity defying breasts, or there isn't ultraviolence? I think Mahoraba could be a surprise hit if translated and marketed properly.
robertness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-21, 15:31   Link #84
ellifeedn
Thinker

I just want to say that this is one of the best manga that I have ever read. My only regret is that I'm a noob when it comes to finding translated material and being able to read it. Somehow I managed to get up to ch.56 and I'd like to know where I can find the rest. By the way, how many chapters are there in all and is the anime considered worth watching?
ellifeedn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-21, 15:42   Link #85
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellifeedn View Post
I just want to say that this is one of the best manga that I have ever read. My only regret is that I'm a noob when it comes to finding translated material and being able to read it. Somehow I managed to get up to ch.56 and I'd like to know where I can find the rest. By the way, how many chapters are there in all and is the anime considered worth watching?
Welcome to the club of Mahoraba lovers. As far as I can tell, chapter 57 has been released by the same group who's done up to 56, but that's all... I guess you'll just have to be patient and wait for them to release more..

My volume 12 is at home, so I can't tell you how many chapters there are, but I'll say it does end with 12 volumes. (Approved by the Department of Redundancy Department ne.)

I think the anime is great. It does leave out a chunk of the storyline, but the quality is quite nice and I find that I liked the ending of the anime more - it's open-ended and it leaves it up to the viewers to decide how everyone's life progresses. In the manga, it's settled and you can't use your imagination.

I'll PM you in a bit about how I know chapter 57 has been released...
Edit: Oops, uh.. nevermind
Old 2007-05-21, 18:22   Link #86
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Actually, I vowed some years ago that I would never buy Englishified manga again. (The original Japanese counterparts are cheaper, and they force me to translate.) The only reason I care whether titles get licensed or not is... I need to rant about series to people. It really sucks knowing one great series and not having anyone to talk about it with
aye... that's the only reason I care. It gets a bit lonely when you've got no one to share cool things with (on anime, I'm fine because usually SOMEONE in the house will watch it with me... but on manga I'm pretty much on my own.)

Last edited by Vexx; 2007-05-21 at 23:16.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-24, 11:17   Link #87
cangri23_

ok i found up to chapter 57... i finished the anime and want to continue reading from that point what chapter do i start with.
cangri23_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-24, 14:05   Link #88
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Just read the whole thing. The anime left out quite a bit simply because it had to, so it's worth going back for that.

It's not like the story isn't enjoyable enough to read again
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-24, 15:12   Link #89
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

aye.. there's enough deviation that you'd be missing a lot of the details by not starting from chapter one... plus there's some variation in how/when things are portrayed and some of the characterization is quietly different.
Old 2007-05-24, 15:47   Link #90
cangri23_

ok thanks for the advice and it does continue past 57 right it's that the other have not been translated??? right.
cangri23_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-24, 16:36   Link #91
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

@0@! There were even Mahoraba posts while I was gone! [*stabs finals and weeps*] All the good stuff happens when I'm gone, really! There were even a few releases I could've watched by now. /end rant

I know that it goes past chapter 57 because 57 is the last chapter of volume 11... and there are 12 volumes in Mahoraba. It goes with what FatPianoBoy and Vexx have both already said [*throws hearts at both of them*].... but there's a ton of omake and little things here and there included in Mahoraba as well as more information on each of the characters, and they're very much worth reading... unless you hate the series, I guess... but that's not possible.
Old 2007-05-24, 16:46   Link #92
Mueti
あ!

Send a message via ICQ to Mueti
I got the whole series about 3 weeks ago but I'm still only at volume 7. Yes, I'm slow.^^ But I LOVE it, the characters are awesome, the atmosphere is awesome and the humor is awesome. And on top of that it gives me satisfaction when I notice that I sometimes don't have to look up a single word in a whole volume (thanks to furigana).
Old 2007-05-24, 16:52   Link #93
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Ah.. furigana = love. I've been picking series out lately that have an abundance of kanji and furigana... I find that it's easier to read than a manga aimed at younger kids that includes very little kanji and all kana. It's really nice to be able to read a chapter without looking anything up ne.. Rarely do I get that, but when I do, I feel like the most fluent gaijin in the world... until I start the next chapter.
Old 2007-06-11, 11:06   Link #94
Mueti
あ!

Ok, I think reading the whole series took me about 7 weeks or so but yesterday I finally finished the last volume. And what a great ending it was! It left me with that slight sadness that I won't be seeing the characters again.
And the solution to where the souls of Kozue's alter egos disappeared to was absolutely awesome.

But now I need new stuff and still being a manga-newbie I was hoping for some suggestions here. I didn't put this in the "suggestions"-forum on purpose since I thought it'd be easier to reach you people with similiar taste this way. ^_^
Old 2007-06-11, 15:05   Link #95
UPR

how many chapters does this have?? i can only find 57 translated .
UPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-11, 15:48   Link #96
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mueti View Post
Ok, I think reading the whole series took me about 7 weeks or so but yesterday I finally finished the last volume. And what a great ending it was! It left me with that slight sadness that I won't be seeing the characters again.
And the solution to where the souls of Kozue's alter egos disappeared to was absolutely awesome.
The ending was the best Mahoraba could've ever gotten ne. The children were a good surprise. XD Ah, you don't know how much I'd love for Akira Kojima to do another Mahoraba-esque series... It's sad we won't see anymore Mahoraba, but I'd LOVE another similar series (and the artwork is so cute)... which brings me to the next point.

Quote:
But now I need new stuff and still being a manga-newbie I was hoping for some suggestions here. I didn't put this in the "suggestions"-forum on purpose since I thought it'd be easier to reach you people with similiar taste this way. ^_^
There really isn't anything quite like Mahoraba, IMO (and if there is, let me know about it! @__@ )... I'm a big fan of heartwarming slice-of-life series, especially the "heartwarming" part ... [*pulls a few series from her bookshelf*]

Posutaru WORK by Rei Izumi - Slice-of-life, heartwarming rating: 10/10!
There's no romance, but the comedy and warm fuzzies are on par with Mahoraba.

Kanon & AIR also by Rei Izumi - Slice-of-life, heartwarming rating: 9/10!
The characters from Kanon and AIR interact with each other... it's very lighthearted, so if you got annoyed crying while watching both the anime, this is for you. XD There are also comedic moments spread out here and there.

For something a little more off-the-wall, try Rikujou Boueitai Mao-chan, by Ken Akamatsu. It's not slice-of-life.. err, not really, IMO. I haven't read very much of it yet, but I've seen all of the anime, and.. how could you go wrong assigning kindergarteners to fight against cute aliens? The girls are very cute and cry easily (inducing a few warm fuzzies here and there), but they always do their best to protect their homes and family whom they believe in (even though their grandfathers are all nuts ). Very cute and funny, but beware of the random panty shots...

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPR View Post
how many chapters does this have?? i can only find 57 translated .
Johnny tells me that there are 62 chapters.

Edit, edit, EDIT: I forgot about Momo at the end.
Spoiler:

Last edited by Risaa; 2007-06-11 at 16:02.
Old 2007-06-11, 20:16   Link #97
UPR

can anybody supply me the last volume if this in raw or translated as i can only find up to chapter 57
UPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-12, 03:51   Link #98
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

Well chapter 57 is the last chap of v11 also the latest scanlated chapter out and v12 is the final volume. So there should be about 4/5 chapters left.

It's a great series. The pace of the romance is also good. Of course it's slower the real life situations, but for such naive people in manga it's pretty nice. :O I also like how this is non harem, but still keeping it fresh and light hearted.(seems like all the non harem shounen/seinen always go over the top with way too much wtf)
2H-Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-12, 12:06   Link #99
Mueti
あ!

Quote:
The ending was the best Mahoraba could've ever gotten ne. The children were a good surprise. XD Ah, you don't know how much I'd love for Akira Kojima to do another Mahoraba-esque series... It's sad we won't see anymore Mahoraba, but I'd LOVE another similar series (and the artwork is so cute)... which brings me to the next point.
Hmm, Mahoraba was finished about a year ago. Maybe there'll be something new coming up soon. :O Or not, but I definitely expect him to release a new series some time. *crosses fingers*

Quote:
There really isn't anything quite like Mahoraba, IMO (and if there is, let me know about it! @__@ )... I'm a big fan of heartwarming slice-of-life series, especially the "heartwarming" part ... [*pulls a few series from her bookshelf*]

Posutaru WORK by Rei Izumi - Slice-of-life, heartwarming rating: 10/10!
There's no romance, but the comedy and warm fuzzies are on par with Mahoraba.

Kanon & AIR also by Rei Izumi - Slice-of-life, heartwarming rating: 9/10!
The characters from Kanon and AIR interact with each other... it's very lighthearted, so if you got annoyed crying while watching both the anime, this is for you. XD There are also comedic moments spread out here and there.

For something a little more off-the-wall, try Rikujou Boueitai Mao-chan, by Ken Akamatsu. It's not slice-of-life.. err, not really, IMO. I haven't read very much of it yet, but I've seen all of the anime, and.. how could you go wrong assigning kindergarteners to fight against cute aliens? The girls are very cute and cry easily (inducing a few warm fuzzies here and there), but they always do their best to protect their homes and family whom they believe in (even though their grandfathers are all nuts ). Very cute and funny, but beware of the random panty shots...
Posutaru WORK and Kanon & Air are both only one volume, right? I think it won't hurt to invest the ~1500¥ when I place my next order (even though I'm not quite sure about the Kanon+Air theme but I'll trust you on that one ). ^^
Rikujou Boueitai Mao-chan sounds really cheesy. Also not all volumes are available on amazon.jp, so I think I'll skip that. :P
*still in need of a new great ~10 volume series to spend some weeks on*
edit: It's not like I didn't look for myself. ^^ I thought about ordering ARIA, you don't happen to know it? If you do: is it good (and finished or still ongoing)? =D

Quote:
Edit, edit, EDIT: I forgot about Momo at the end.
Spoiler:
Yeah, I was kinda mad at her as well. But then again, I really liked her story, how she got to know the guy (whose name I don't even remember right now though... meh, that's one thing I suck at, memorizing Japanese names ^^). And it was foreseeable that she wouldn't stay forever, she was waiting for him since the very beginning. Well, he might have come to stay at the narutakisou as well, but you can't have everything, right? :F

Last edited by Mueti; 2007-06-12 at 12:28.
Mueti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-12, 12:40   Link #100
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The only constant is that things change... buddhism embraces this idea. There is no permamence other than impermamence.

Spoiler for comment about ending:

It remains completely baffling to me that neither the manga nor the anime to this has been licensed. Its just a really damn good story with wonderful art style.

Tags
romantic comedy, shounen, slice of life