AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > Mahouka [LN/M]

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-12-07, 09:12   Link #1741
bludvein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Himmel View Post
How are you so sure about this? I don't think physical effect will have any meaning as long as his eidos has backup.
I don't think his limits have ever been tested(for obvious reasons), but it makes sense that anything instantly and catastrophically fatal would render him unable to use his magic. After all, his magic can't bring the dead back to life, and his brain(which controls his magic) being rendered into bloody gibbets is way beyond survivable, even for him.

Anyway, the chances of him taking a direct shot are almost nil anyway. Magicians are unconsciously resistant to direct magic targeted at their bodies, and this effect seems proportionate to their power. Could still make the air around him explode though.
Old 2012-12-07, 09:22   Link #1742
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

Coming from someone who got hit by a sniper bullet right in the heart and then instantly regenerated back... no, I believe that he might still survive on that one. For example, what if we say that by the delay of a couple minisecond while his body getting ripped to pieces, he regenerated piece by piece of his body until the explosion stop (which also happen almost instantly since his regeneration speed as shown in this chapter is beyond human cognition)?

Still I don't think we're going to get a conclusion of this without getting more additional information about this particular technique.

Old 2012-12-07, 18:35   Link #1743
pampz21
ShipCore

I think if his brain was blown off he'll die but if its a fraction of 0.2 sec, he can regenerate even if hes shot in the heart! cuz as long as the brains functioning magic will still flow, its like a pc, if the mother board is fried then its time to buy a new one!.....

to Believe is to Live,
to Ship is to Believe,
the best part of believe is the Lie,
to Lie to oneself is to Live
and that is the Essence of Life

Old 2012-12-07, 20:47   Link #1744
blackwhite67
Banned

That 0.2 sec only applies when he's restoring anything besides himself. His self-restoration is much, much faster. It's not said how much faster, but trained military eyes couldn't catch it.

Magicians have a section in their brain called a magic processing zone (MPZ). As long as that's okay, then Tatsuya can survive. If it's destroyed then he'll die.
Old 2012-12-07, 22:58   Link #1745
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

Quote:
Magicians have a section in their brain called a magic processing zone (MPZ). As long as that's okay, then Tatsuya can survive. If it's destroyed then he'll die.
Oh I wouldn't be surprised if he pulled another trick to bypass that (for example: his enemy need to directly influence his MPZ part to actually kill him). But even without that, just like bludvein said, it'll be almost impossible for him to get hit by anything that lethal.

Still it's nice to see that there's a normal limitation even for his regeneration ability.

Old 2012-12-08, 01:07   Link #1746
bloodyclaws

as someone else stated, it takes tatsuya only 0.2 seconds to regenerate something else OTHER than himself.

It has never been stated how fast he can regenerate himself, but we must think a bit. The reason it takes tatsuya 0.2 seconds is for him to read, understand, and analyze the information structure of that object and then restore it. Tatsuya's comprehension of his own informational structure does not need to be discussed. (obvious) It is his own self, thus there is no need to comprehend.

0.2 seconds is the limit of human reaction and there are things fast enough to bypass it. But I guarantee that his speed of restoring himself surpasses that 0.2 limit by leaps and bounds. Especially if he is unsealed.

To conclude, we haven't got enough information on his self restoration just yet so I cant make any claims. Though I have a gut feeling... that without restrictions, his restoration is fast enough to survive his own material burst.
Old 2012-12-08, 02:06   Link #1747
Misstee

I'm curious to find out whether Tatsuya can actually get old. I can imagine a scenario where his body reaches its peak age and his subconscious refuses to let it break down and age.
Old 2012-12-08, 02:46   Link #1748
azziz

when will we finally get next novel,with new content?
Old 2012-12-08, 02:56   Link #1749
cyberdemon

Is it ever mentioned what kind of person Tatsuya was like before they messed with his brain?
Old 2012-12-08, 03:29   Link #1750
Iamis

No I don't think it is ever mentioned yet

The youngest we see him is 3 years ago When he first meets Miyuki and By then he has already lost most of his emotions

I remember reading the volume 8 comes out on December 10th but not sure
Old 2012-12-08, 06:11   Link #1751
kazzuya13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Himmel View Post
How are you so sure about this? I don't think physical effect will have any meaning as long as his eidos has backup.
There is a duration in when it has cool down and he was hit at that time he could die.
Old 2012-12-08, 06:18   Link #1752
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

Is that the phantom pain that was mentioned in the summary?

Old 2012-12-08, 07:03   Link #1753
sandhy88
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻)

^^ I think phantom pain is the prize that Tatsuya get for using Self-regen or Regrow.
Old 2012-12-08, 09:44   Link #1754
bludvein

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazzuya13 View Post
There is a duration in when it has cool down and he was hit at that time he could die.
There is no cooldown, or at least I couldn't find mention of one in any of the summaries or comments I've read.

There is however a mental trauma involved. Even if his body is perfectly fine his brain knows he got shot and that it should hurt. That is the "phantom pain" that was mentioned in the summaries. Kinda like when you are hypnotized to think there is an open flame under your arm. Most people would still describe a burning sensation and in extreme cases a welt rises on the skin even with nothing physically wrong. This perception would only be reinforced by the conviction that it really happened.

Theoretically a mental trauma severe enough could disturb his ability to use magic, but Tatsuya is pretty stoic though so that seems unlikely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandhy88 View Post
^^ I think phantom pain is the prize that Tatsuya get for using Self-regen or Regrow.
The "price" he pays for regrowth is slightly different though. In order to reboot somebody else he needs to read their eidos history with his body, and all the pain they experienced in the time up to the point they got injured is felt by him in the space of a fraction of a second. Not a huge deal with minor injuries, but you can see the problems.

Last edited by bludvein; 2012-12-08 at 09:56.
Old 2012-12-08, 19:34   Link #1755
blackwhite67
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodyclaws View Post
as someone else stated, it takes tatsuya only 0.2 seconds to regenerate something else OTHER than himself.

It has never been stated how fast he can regenerate himself, but we must think a bit. The reason it takes tatsuya 0.2 seconds is for him to read, understand, and analyze the information structure of that object and then restore it. Tatsuya's comprehension of his own informational structure does not need to be discussed. (obvious) It is his own self, thus there is no need to comprehend.

0.2 seconds is the limit of human reaction and there are things fast enough to bypass it. But I guarantee that his speed of restoring himself surpasses that 0.2 limit by leaps and bounds. Especially if he is unsealed.

To conclude, we haven't got enough information on his self restoration just yet so I cant make any claims. Though I have a gut feeling... that without restrictions, his restoration is fast enough to survive his own material burst.
There's no way he can survive Material Burst. That's the whole point of him using the Third Eye CAD. Tatsuya said that his Restoration couldn't keep up with Lina's laser and a nuclear explosion is probably just as fast.

Concerning the phantom pain, it's an actual medical term for those who don't know. When Tatsuya Restores himself, he still feels pain from the injuries he had due to phantom pain. When Tatsuya Restores something alive besides himself he feels 50 times the pain. He can still go on with his pain as he went through two major battles using Restoration on his allies with no evident show of discomfort.
Old 2012-12-08, 20:36   Link #1756
bloodyclaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwhite67 View Post
There's no way he can survive Material Burst. That's the whole point of him using the Third Eye CAD. Tatsuya said that his Restoration couldn't keep up with Lina's laser and a nuclear explosion is probably just as fast.

Concerning the phantom pain, it's an actual medical term for those who don't know. When Tatsuya Restores himself, he still feels pain from the injuries he had due to phantom pain. When Tatsuya Restores something alive besides himself he feels 50 times the pain. He can still go on with his pain as he went through two major battles using Restoration on his allies with no evident show of discomfort.
haha yea I definitely cant claim anything right now. But I'm just going by the amount of information we have at this moment. For me, there are 2 reasons why he uses his third eye CAD.

one is of course, he may not be able to survive his material burst. But if he can, then the only reason he would use the third eye is so everyone he cares about doesn't get disintegrated in the blast radius (especially miyuki) as well as the collateral damage. For someone as intelligent as tatsuya, having the power to generate nuclear scale explosions casually should be used carefully even if he or she can survive it.

From the summaries I've read, Lina was stated to be able to bypass his restoration, but theres a lot of factors that hasn't be stated. Which is why summaries cant hold a candle to actual translations. We still haven't gotten enough information on what unsealing tatsuya does to his abilities, nor have we ever seen a limit to them either.

in conclusion, with the information we have so far, I definitely agree with you 100% that he theoretically cant survive his material burst; but the same can be said that there is no proof that he cant survive it either.

It just my gut feeling who knows, maybe we'll see it in future volumes as they delve deeper into his restoration and decomposition.

P.S: I believe the pain Tatsuya goes through when restoring someone else is 150 times stronger (not 50) in a fraction of second. Correct if wrong.

Last edited by bloodyclaws; 2012-12-08 at 20:41. Reason: correcting a statement
Old 2012-12-08, 20:41   Link #1757
Ddraig

Can anyone calculate what kind of explosive amount material burst will generate if Tatsuya aim it at planet earth itself? Will obviously no one gonna survive including himself >.>
Old 2012-12-08, 20:44   Link #1758
Mentar
Banned

I have always trouble to believe that people are seriously discussing the limits of magic in a purely fictional environment...
Old 2012-12-08, 20:56   Link #1759
SoloPanda
Not A Loli-con....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
I have always trouble to believe that people are seriously discussing the limits of magic in a purely fictional environment...
OK let's talk about the story, which is about magic, without discussing magic.... Miyuki is a brocon.... well I’m done here. Every story in anime manga and light novels is fictional and impossible, in most cases. Discussing it for fun is something people do to get more into the story. good stories like this one are so descriptive with the fictional magic that it's even more enjoyable to discuss the limits of these fictional possibilities. Why is this a problem?
Old 2012-12-08, 21:05   Link #1760
blackwhite67
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodyclaws View Post
haha yea I definitely cant claim anything right now. But I'm just going by the amount of information we have at this moment. For me, there are 2 reasons why he uses his third eye CAD.

one is of course, he may not be able to survive his material burst. But if he can, then the only reason he would use the third eye is so everyone he cares about doesn't get disintegrated in the blast radius (especially miyuki) as well as the collateral damage. For someone as intelligent as tatsuya, having the power to generate nuclear scale explosions casually should be used carefully even if he or she can survive it.

From the summaries I've read, Lina was stated to be able to bypass his restoration, but theres a lot of factors that hasn't be stated. Which is why summaries cant hold a candle to actual translations. We still haven't gotten enough information on what unsealing tatsuya does to his abilities, nor have we ever seen a limit to them either.

in conclusion, with the information we have so far, I definitely agree with you 100% that he theoretically cant survive his material burst; but the same can be said that there is no proof that he cant survive it either.

It just my gut feeling who knows, maybe we'll see it in future volumes as they delve deeper into his restoration and decomposition.

P.S: I believe the pain Tatsuya goes through when restoring someone else is 150 times stronger (not 50) in a fraction of second. Correct if wrong.
"Back at the restaurant, Tatsuya is thinking about the magic Lina just used, “Heavy Metal Burst.” It is a magic which takes disperses heavy metals and turns them into plasma. The transformation creates a strong shock wave. This is primarily done, he concludes, by Lina's weapon, which also forms a barrier to contain the shock wave and plasma to prevent extraneous damage (hence why the surroundings were not damaged by the attack). He also understands that its attack can move at an instant, perhaps fast enough that
his Regrowth cannot catch up."

The release of energy from Material Burst would certainly reach his brain and destroy his MPZ faster than his Auto-Restoration. You have to remember, Restoration doesn't block the attack. It just heals the damage taken. The speed of this restoration is proportional to the amount of damage taken..

No its 50. It said 150 in the summary because the guy who got his leg blown off was in that state for 30 sec and Tatsuya had to compress the pain into 0.2 sec.

@Ddraig: You mean if Tatsuya used MAterial Burst on the whole Earth? I'd try to figure it out, but damn there was a link somewhere in this forum to a site that would help me calculate the blast radius, but I can't find it.

@Mentar: If you're referring to Ddraig's question, it is merely a physics question based on fictional, but theoretically physical, circumstances.
Closed Thread

Tags
action, fantasy, harem, incest, mahouka, rettousei, school life, shounen, siblings