AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Macross - Episode 9 Rating
Perfect 10 25 22.94%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 44 40.37%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 21 19.27%
7 out of 10 : Good 9 8.26%
6 out of 10 : Average 6 5.50%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 1.83%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.92%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.92%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-06-01, 17:27   Link #161
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerrian View Post
How do you guys come to the conclusion that Leon is actively taking measures against Ranka and that he's responsible not only for her losing out the Miss Macross crown, but also for canceling her performance on the tv show?

I've yet to see Leon do anything that makes him a scumbag...except for banging Cathy. All we've been shown so far is that he is interested in Ranka and has his subordinates actively monitoring her.
Due to my lack of time, I'm not really all up to date, so I've not heard of Leon being responsible for Ranka not making it for Miss Macross.

But he has directly said he has interest in Ranka and in episode 8 cancelled her performance on tv. Watch the parts from between 16:00 -17:00 of episode 8 to see Ranka's disappointment and Leon's conversation with the observers he placed on Ranka.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2008-06-01, 17:35   Link #162
zalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipernorris View Post
Did you guys see the same episode as me?!?
Alto made one of the VF-27's legs going boom, all on his own. It's quite a remarkable achievement imho, considering how much superior the VF-27 is!!!
Yeah, and Brera shook that off as if it was nothing. Hence, why I wouldn't say it was a sound beating at all. Again, it took Michel's hit to make Brera consider pulling back.
Old 2008-06-01, 18:39   Link #163
Wesley84

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerrian View Post
How do you guys come to the conclusion that Leon is actively taking measures against Ranka and that he's responsible not only for her losing out the Miss Macross crown, but also for canceling her performance on the tv show?

I've yet to see Leon do anything that makes him a scumbag...except for banging Cathy. All we've been shown so far is that he is interested in Ranka and has his subordinates actively monitoring her.
This is true. Aside from a few Kukuku-moments, he's mostly as a mouth piece for status quo updates. Well, that and he seems to have a hard-on for the Vajra for some reason.

Someone actually mentioned Grace being the culprit behind Ranka's bad run of luck, which isn't any less likely than Leon sabotaging Ranka's efforts. It could easily be that there are two plots against Ranka, three if you want to count whatever the Vajra have in mind for her. Four if Bresra isn't connected to one of the other three.
Old 2008-06-01, 19:11   Link #164
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Leon working to keep Ranka from being famous so that he can dispose of her as need be or make her disappear does have some precedent in real life; a few months ago a celebrity teen mag in Australia noticed that there was no news of Prince Harry and began speculating that he was in Afghanistan. Being a celeb gossip rag, nobody took it seriously.

Then Mike Drudge of the Drudge Report dug up the story, plastered it on his website, drew the attention of the mainstream media, and the MoD was forced to admit that yes, Prince Harry was in Afghanistan, no, nobody knew him as Prince Harry, he was Widow-Six-Seven, a Forward Air Controller, yes he was retrained as an FAC and infantryman and he's out of the country 4 weeks short of finishing his planned deployment thank you very much.

The MoD and Harry have admitted that it would have been so much easier to keep things more under wraps if he weren't so famous or high profile. (And the reason he was yanked out was due to being a bullet magnet...)

Hmmmm. Could it be that Leon sees Ranka as a Vajra magnet and is intent on sidelining her singing as much as possible so that she doesn't draw the Vajra to her?

I believe in miracles.

Old 2008-06-01, 21:37   Link #165
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
Hmmmm. Could it be that Leon sees Ranka as a Vajra magnet and is intent on sidelining her singing as much as possible so that she doesn't draw the Vajra to her?
Not to her, but to Frontier itself.

He probably doesn't care about Ranka's safety, he would be thinking of something like this instead:

Send Ranka to an uninhabited planet, lure away as many Vajra as possible. So that Frontier can take out the weakened remaining forces and maybe reaction bomb away the Vajra along with the uninhabited planet. (cookies to whoever can guess the exact anime I got this inspiration from)

Or he would be thinking of using Ranka's voice as a weapon or a device to manipulate the Vajra.

Old 2008-06-02, 01:54   Link #166
ani_d

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post

I don't see how Ranka has no backbone. She's working hard towards her goals and she's doing it with her own efforts. You don't see singers selling vegetables or giving out their music on the streets like that, no one would or dare to do such. No one would want to be placed in such embarrassing situations.
You just described her as a hardworker. She's optimistic and hardworking. That's what Ranka is, and I totally am for it. When I said I wanted her to have a backbone, I meant for her to be more assertive in dealing with people. Just like in episode 6 when Alto deliberately lied to her and she didn't say anything. Or when she was pushed around by those contestants from Ms. Macross. When she gets aggravated, she should speak up and not put on a puppy dog face. It's not like I hate what she is right now. I'm just waiting for her character to evolve.

Quote:
And why is she in such a pathetic situation? Producer's fault? lol

He mentioned himself that he already tried the internet and everything about Ranka was hacked and deleted immediately. Have you forgotten that Leon is observing Ranka?

Just last episode he ordered a cancelling of Ranka's performance on tv. He doesn't want Ranka to be famous, he suspects Ranka's song or even herself to be the reason why Vajra is attacking Frontier. Leon has surveilance keeping an eye on her progress and is actively going against her. That is why his producer has been giving her pathetic jobs, not that he doesn't know what he is doing. All the interviews, performances, internet promotions and other efforts have been put to waste by Leon. Probably another reason for people to hate Leon more.

Well, her little stage is just what you get from small event organisers. It doesn't look too bad to me.
Well, it's not for certain if Leon has anything to do with the hacking. It's also not confirmed that Leon was behind the cancelling of Ranka's performance. I thought she just had bad luck because Sheryl's show was in her field. As for her not winning Macross because of Leon, it's not really clear if it was really Leon. The possibility IS high, but it doesn't mean that it's really Leon's fault. He could've been whispering other things to the judges when Cathy gave him the evil eye. Plus, Ranka clearly messed up. How can that make her win the contest? The others must have sucked terribly. :|

And yes the mini-stage Sucked. A lot. Period. Why would Bobby, an agent of beauty lol, look so unhappy watching Ranka? He is clearly not seeing any beauty in it. So was I. The only positive thing about it is that, Ranka's will to get famous is admirable. So what if they got hacked? There are more appealing alternatives to promote her other than what the manager made her do. I'm starting to think the manager is the only staff member in his talent agency. Ranka was just standing there on her own. Any help distributing flyers from his nonexistent staff would be nice. He could've helped too instead of watching from the sideline. That was the lousiest debut ever. Poor poor Ranka.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
Not to her, but to Frontier itself.

He probably doesn't care about Ranka's safety, he would be thinking of something like this instead:

Send Ranka to an uninhabited planet, lure away as many Vajra as possible. So that Frontier can take out the weakened remaining forces and maybe reaction bomb away the Vajra along with the uninhabited planet. (cookies to whoever can guess the exact anime I got this inspiration from)

Or he would be thinking of using Ranka's voice as a weapon or a device to manipulate the Vajra.
I agree. She's more likely to be a bait material, honestly, but with Brera in the mix, everything becomes complex.

Oh yeah, I'm in the "Brera&Grace are not in cahoots" camp. First, the woman who gave orders to Brera sounded nothing like Grace. Second, if Grace really were after Ranka, then why is she always with Sheryl? She even came from Galaxy. Unless Sheryl and Ranka are half sisters separated from birth and she's just keeping an eye for any dormant abilities from Sheryl, I don't see enough reason why Grace would be involved with the Vajra. She prolly has other objectives in mind.

Last edited by ani_d; 2008-06-02 at 21:53.
Old 2008-06-02, 03:22   Link #167
karasuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquisidor View Post
The voice commanding Brera, sounds like a third voice for Kuwashima Houko.
I think you are correct there. She got 2 credits in the end.
Old 2008-06-02, 03:37   Link #168
ipernorris

Quote:
Originally Posted by karasuma View Post
Are you saying Nanase is commanding Brera?
Old 2008-06-02, 04:17   Link #169
Inquisidor

Send a message via MSN to Inquisidor
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipernorris View Post
Are you saying Nanase is commanding Brera?
I know that Kuwashima Houko is credited as Canaria and Nanase. But, in that radio com the female voice sounded just like Kuwashima's voice and it isn't unusual for her to dub multiple voices in a single series.
Old 2008-06-02, 06:21   Link #170
CaptGloval
New Macross soon

If it was two credits, then these would be for Canaria and Nanase. They both spoke in this episode.
Old 2008-06-02, 08:03   Link #171
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
I havent had much time lately but i finally got around to episode 9 which was not too bad. Ranka continues her embarassing acts to get promoted. I really enjoyed the back story on Michale since I like him as a character. I had no idea his past with his sister was so tragic. I am was surprised by he and Alto's altercation their personalties are kind of polar opposites. Looks like we are going to get SherylxAlto time next week.

Did anyone else laugh when Klan bitch slapped Michale in his Valkyrie? He even made her cry and that i could not forgive Klan is the shit even though she got owned by the mr red baron pilot.
Old 2008-06-02, 13:51   Link #172
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
Did anyone else laugh when Klan bitch slapped Michale in his Valkyrie? He even made her cry and that i could not forgive Klan is the shit even though she got owned by the mr red baron pilot.
yeah, i did. nothing like getting the hand from a 1339m giant alien women. pwned.

:3
Old 2008-06-02, 14:40   Link #173
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

In-terms of the fight animation, this ep was mind-blowing...9/10...i think i like CG agian...
Old 2008-06-02, 17:21   Link #174
King Lycan
User Title eaten by ravenous bunnies
*IT Support

._. Finally watched episode 9
I must say i really loved it especially the alto and Micheal fight..didalto even try to fight back..but klan and micheal whould make a good couple only if Klan wasn't so tiny ...also man is ranka cute in her outfit :3
Praise the allmighty CG
8/10
Old 2008-06-02, 19:36   Link #175
grss1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by karasuma View Post
I disagree.

The voice commanding Brera to destroy the Vajra nest in this episode sounded more like Kikuko Inoue (Grace in MF). It sounded specifcally like the voice she used for her character, Miria in the anime Claymore.
Old 2008-06-02, 20:20   Link #176
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by grss1982 View Post
I disagree.

The voice commanding Brera to destroy the Vajra nest in this episode sounded more like Kikuko Inoue (Grace in MF). It sounded specifcally like the voice she used for her character, Miria in the anime Claymore.
I'm believing that Grace has something up her sleeves and is behind Brera as well.

Watch the part from 6:29 -> 7:08.

The Frontier presidency is discussing about a new nest and wanting to get samples to learn more about Vajra. Grace is there spying on them.

This directly corresponds to Brera's orders to destroy the new nest and not allowing Frontier to get any samples.

I'm quite certain that Grace is the one behind Brera and that's her real voice. She probably uses a higher pitched voice when she's around Sheryl.

Old 2008-06-02, 20:45   Link #177
herbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_d View Post
Just like in episode 4 when Alto deliberately lied to her and she didn't say anything.
When does Alto lie to her in ep4? or you mean ep6 instead?

If you do mean ep6, what do you want her to say? Ranka deliberately lies and Alto is forced to lie, but you think Alto is the only one should feel guilty? She doesn't deserves an honest answer in the first place.
Old 2008-06-02, 21:52   Link #178
ani_d

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbert View Post
When does Alto lie to her in ep4? or you mean ep6 instead?
Good catch. I did mean ep. 6. ^_^ I changed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbert View Post
If you do mean ep6, what do you want her to say? Ranka deliberately lies and Alto is forced to lie, but you think Alto is the only one should feel guilty? She doesn't deserves an honest answer in the first place.
Uh, yes, Ranka deserves an honest answer especially if it's something that's supposed to be no big deal. Everyone knows/will know he was with Sheryl eventually. He didn't really have to lie. I also don't see Why Ranka should feel guilty here. =/ Whatever did she do to Alto that should make her feel guilty? If you look at her POV, she had a fight with her brother, searched around for Alto's advice, pulled herself together believing Alto's on her side only to witness that her idol already got her hands on him. All she could do was back off, hence, why she never told him that she got discovered---despite the fact that it was because of him that she made it. If she could've straight up asked Alto why he was with Sheryl, then she could've felt better about everything. Afterall, they're just friends and Sheryl's her idol. It wouldn't be unnatural if she did ask. I wish she could've done that, but this just proves, Ranka lacks the initiative to express herself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A
I'm quite certain that Grace is the one behind Brera and that's her real voice. She probably uses a higher pitched voice when she's around Sheryl.
If Grace really is connected to Brera, then doesn't that mean Sheryl will be involved or already involved unknowingly in this Vajra business? Grace wouldn't hang out with her for no reason.
Old 2008-06-02, 22:15   Link #179
ReddyRedWolf

Well if indeed that Sheryl is a Nome or more specifically a decendant of Mao Nome then Sheryl is viewed as a pawn then.

In fact some speculate that Ranka and Sheryl has the same capabilities.

The only difference is that Ranka has whatever material is inside her that resonates with Sheryl's earing.

It could be that Ranka and Sheryl are two halves of the puzzle which the hidden factions served by Leon and Grace are trying to solve.
Old 2008-06-03, 02:42   Link #180
herbert

Long story short.

1). Ranka has deceived Alto in this case; 2). Alto wouldn't tell the lie if Ranka hasn't lied first.

Dishonest question doesn't deserve honest answer.