AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2009-06-14, 22:59   Link #1
Kudryavka

Super Smash Bros. On Virtual Console

So SSB 64 got released on the Wii's Virtual Console some time ago in the NTSC-J and PAL regions. Sounds awesome, I've been waiting to get it ever since I got hooked on SSB Brawl, and ever since my N64 (apparently?) died.
Only one problem - I'm NTSC. No SSB on Virtual Console for me.
Any NTSC-J'ers or PAL'ers download it yet? How is it?
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-15, 09:06   Link #2
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

More importantly (for me), does it have progresive scan in PAL? (probably not, but doesn't hurt to ask)
Old 2009-06-15, 22:41   Link #3
Kudryavka

Can't see why it wouldn't be.
Old 2009-06-16, 03:19   Link #4
User91411
Disabled By Request

SSB was awesome when I was a kid, played it all the time with my brother back in 1999/2000. I still have my original N64 and SSB game too, so I see no need in getting a Virtual Console version.
User91411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-16, 05:57   Link #5
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komari View Post
Can't see why it wouldn't be.
I can. Most PAL Virtual Console games/emulators don't support progressive scan. While not a Virtual Console game, Mega Man 9 doesn't support progressive scan either.
Old 2009-06-16, 13:10   Link #6
Tamad
デゲソ!! ( ・_・)ノ

The real question is did they have the gall to add an online feature?
Old 2009-06-16, 20:13   Link #7
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamad View Post
The real question is did they have the gall to add an online feature?
No. But just releasing it at all on VC is awesome enough, no?
And benoit, I heard that some PAL games don't have progressive scanning, but I didn't know that a lot of them didn't. That sucks.
Old 2009-06-16, 20:46   Link #8
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

The old Super Smash Bros brings back memory, although I wasn't able to unlock 2 hidden characters besides Jigglypuff and Capt. Falcon... Although I already own a N64 copy, I doubt I will download it since the newer games are better.
Old 2009-06-16, 22:55   Link #9
sekihoutai

My friend owns a japanese wii and was able to download it. Another friend has the n64 copy. We usually get together and play melee but have 64 smash on the side. I love melee.
sekihoutai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-16, 23:22   Link #10
Kudryavka

Bleh. Maybe I can find a N64 copy on eBay or something. If my N64 isn't totally dead.
Old 2009-06-17, 00:38   Link #11
plmko

Get the Homebrew channel and then change the region of your Wii so you can download SSB from the shop. Alternatively you can just download the game illegally. And no being NTSC will not affect the game at all.
plmko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-17, 01:31   Link #12
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by plmko View Post
Get the Homebrew channel and then change the region of your Wii so you can download SSB from the shop. Alternatively you can just download the game illegally. And no being NTSC will not affect the game at all.
You can do that with HBC? Awesome beyond belief indeed. I'll be getting HBC soon, too.
But isn't PAL a beotch on NTSC TVs? And I don't want SSB64 that much where I'll accept the language barrier and download the NTSC-J version.
Old 2009-06-17, 08:05   Link #13
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Changing the region of the Wii is very risky and you may lose access to the shopping channel in your region or even brick your Wii which will most likely void your warrenty. I advise strongly against doing it and just wait a few more months.
Old 2009-06-17, 08:07   Link #14
plmko

Well then you can just download the European pal version . With the homebrew channel you can force many games to run on PAL, so that might solve your concern. In my experience I have never noticed any visual defects when playing pal games on NTSC and this even applies to actual wii games not just wiiwares and Virtual consoles games.

Homebrew channel is your friend and you'd be crazy not to install it.
Old 2009-06-17, 08:10   Link #15
plmko

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikorita157 View Post
Changing the region of the Wii is very risky and you may lose access to the shopping channel in your region or even brick your Wii which will most likely void your warrenty. I advise strongly against doing it and just wait a few more months.
Well no actually its very simple, you just run a certain program in the homebrew channel select the region you want and bam it re writes many of your files. It will only brick if you turn off the power during the process.
If you are locked out of your shopping channel ( you will know if you have two of weather and news channel), you can just install any firmware higher than your current from your original region.
Old 2009-06-17, 09:45   Link #16
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komari
And benoit, I heard that some PAL games don't have progressive scanning, but I didn't know that a lot of them didn't. That sucks.
To be clear, almost all Wii games released in the PAL region support progressive scan. It's the Virtual Console games/emulators that don't support it. Most WiiWare games, from what I hear, support progressive scan as well, but not Mega Man 9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by plmko
Well no actually its very simple, you just run a certain program in the homebrew channel select the region you want and bam it re writes many of your files.
Just because it's simple to do doesn't make it any less risky.

By the way, the Homebrew Channel is just a gate for homebrew applications that do the actual work.
Old 2009-06-17, 17:21   Link #17
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Quote:
Well no actually its very simple, you just run a certain program in the homebrew channel select the region you want and bam it re writes many of your files. It will only brick if you turn off the power during the process.
If you are locked out of your shopping channel ( you will know if you have two of weather and news channel), you can just install any firmware higher than your current from your original region.
Anything that involves modifying the Wii System Files is risky regardless how safe it is, regardless since Nintendo didn't intend people to modify the files using a program. This can apply to any device you do unauthorized modifications with (PSP hacking, iPhone jailbreaking, etc.)
Old 2009-06-17, 20:35   Link #18
Kudryavka

Thanks for the info on moding my Wii, but yeah, I'm not gonna risk it; a release as prominent as this is no doubt gonna get a North American release someday soon anyways. I'll save the NTSC-->PAL/NTSC-J for when Earthbound comes out. Since it ain't coming over to the States ever again.