AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2009-08-29, 13:43   Link #1201
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
Does anyone know about the Japanese Corporate structure?
Old 2009-09-11, 11:02   Link #1202
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

NY Times story on Americans growing use of obento

Quote:
It might seem like silly kids’ stuff, but that sense of fun has helped make bento boxes — obentos as the Japanese call them — increasingly popular with grownups in the United States, too.

For dieters, they are an eye-popping form of portion control. Artistic preparation of ingredients can act as a pleasant distraction for health-conscious parents. For others, bentos are a way to make lunch pretty or indulge their love of things Japanese.
This article has ranked in the top-three most e-mailed links on the NY Times site all week now.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-11, 12:59   Link #1203
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guernsey View Post
Does anyone know about the Japanese Corporate structure?
Not sure what you're asking for..... Most Japanese corporations are outgrowths of the old powerful family clan structures and even named after the families that spawned them.

Basically, they're *structured* somewhat like American corporations but the culture is more clan/feudal/oathbound. They took a lot of what a guy named Deming said in the mid-20th century to heart (and whupped up on US corporations that weren't listening to Deming's philosophy). Most of the recent problems they've had are a direct result of being *too much* like the short-sighted management and planning that plague American corporations. The decision to drop "lifetime employment" has damaged employee loyalty and left the government a mess in dealing with the laid-off labor pools that resulted (formerly they used a system somewhat like Intel Corp. has -- an internal labor pool for transitioning employees with an active task).

Whatever... an answer to such an open-ended question could fill books and invite a lot of debate over the analysis.
Old 2009-09-11, 15:29   Link #1204
Xion Valkyrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Not sure what you're asking for..... Most Japanese corporations are outgrowths of the old powerful family clan structures and even named after the families that spawned them.

Basically, they're *structured* somewhat like American corporations but the culture is more clan/feudal/oathbound. They took a lot of what a guy named Deming said in the mid-20th century to heart (and whupped up on US corporations that weren't listening to Deming's philosophy). Most of the recent problems they've had are a direct result of being *too much* like the short-sighted management and planning that plague American corporations. The decision to drop "lifetime employment" has damaged employee loyalty and left the government a mess in dealing with the laid-off labor pools that resulted (formerly they used a system somewhat like Intel Corp. has -- an internal labor pool for transitioning employees with an active task).

Whatever... an answer to such an open-ended question could fill books and invite a lot of debate over the analysis.
So all those shows with extremely rich super elite sons and daughters of super powerful corporations is more or less on spot?
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-12, 02:10   Link #1205
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion Valkyrie View Post
So all those shows with extremely rich super elite sons and daughters of super powerful corporations is more or less on spot?
Yep. Definetely. But a good number of them could be scion of powerful political families. Remember Rozen Aso?
Old 2009-09-13, 06:04   Link #1206
killer3000ad

Interesting OSS (Office of Secret Services) report on Japanese culture during WW2. Uses alot of Japanese film as source material. Especially interesting is the part on ladder hierachy in Japanese society. Granted it's old and more than likely to be biased.

http://www.realmilitaryflix.com/public/204.cfm?sd=56

Last edited by killer3000ad; 2009-09-13 at 09:53.
killer3000ad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-13, 10:50   Link #1207
Tri-ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShimatheKat View Post
Yep. Definetely. But a good number of them could be scion of powerful political families. Remember Rozen Aso?
The Aso family is relatively new to politics, he was the CEO of the Aso Cement Company a family business far longer in history than Yoshida.
Tri-ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-13, 11:44   Link #1208
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-ring View Post
The Aso family is relatively new to politics, he was the CEO of the Aso Cement Company a family business far longer in history than Yoshida.
Oh yeah, that reminds me. Hatoyama is the grandson of LDP's founder, no?
Old 2009-09-13, 12:58   Link #1209
Shadow Kira01

Quote:
Oh yeah, that reminds me. Hatoyama is the grandson of LDP's founder, no?
And what does that have anything to do with Aso Cement Company or Japanese corporations in general?
Shadow Kira01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-13, 23:23   Link #1210
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

I been looking at some videos about North Korea and Japan recently and found something interesting. It seems that North Korea is called Chosen(this was what Korea was called before) and South Korea is called Hanguk. Anyone knows why they are called like this?
Old 2009-09-13, 23:31   Link #1211
Shadow Kira01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial Dream View Post
I been looking at some videos about North Korea and Japan recently and found something interesting. It seems that North Korea is called Chosen(this was what Korea was called before) and South Korea is called Hanguk. Anyone knows why they are called like this?
Generally, the term "Hanguk" means Korea while "Chosen" is the ancient name of Korea during the time of its unity. Perhaps, there is a deeper meaning which I am unfamiliar with.
Old 2009-09-14, 06:20   Link #1212
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Kira01 View Post
Generally, the term "Hanguk" means Korea while "Chosen" is the ancient name of Korea during the time of its unity. Perhaps, there is a deeper meaning which I am unfamiliar with.
Aha.
That's true. But in modern usage...

Hanguk 韓國 means South Korea and
Chosen 朝鮮 means North Korea. (I'm using Korean Chinese, Hanja for this.)

Basically, it's just how each side wants to be called.

Hanguk is a more modern term and reflects a sense of equality amongst all Koreans (One Korea) when unity is achieved under ROK.

Chosen, on the other hand, is more historical, and represents DPRK's wish to return to the old united Korea.

Bascially, both want unity, but in different structures.
Old 2009-09-15, 07:20   Link #1213
LiberLibri
(`◉◞౪◟◉´)

Send a message via AIM to LiberLibri
Quote:

Correct. It is apparent from their state names in kanji:
NK: 朝鮮民主主義人民共和国
SK: 大

The English name, Korea, comes from the ancient dynasty 高麗 (Goryo), and does not always suit to Korean people's own identity.
LiberLibri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-15, 09:17   Link #1214
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiberLibri View Post
Correct. It is apparent from their state names in kanji:
NK: 朝鮮民主主義人民共和国
SK: 大

The English name, Korea, comes from the ancient dynasty 高麗 (Goryo), and does not always suit to Korean people's own identity.
I thought 高丽 was the name of a vegetable, as in 高丽菜.
Old 2009-09-15, 22:07   Link #1215
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Well I pretty much wrote that and I don't know why you are restating something that I already wrote.

Quote:
Aha.
That's true. But in modern usage...

Hanguk is a more modern term and reflects a sense of equality amongst all Koreans (One Korea) when unity is achieved under ROK.

Chosen, on the other hand, is more historical, and represents DPRK's wish to return to the old united Korea.

Bascially, both want unity, but in different structures.
Interesting so I guess that is why Japanese have two different names instead of just having South Hanguk or North Hanguk.

And I have another question that is more on topic, who would say is the most renown Japanese historical figure?
Old 2009-09-16, 06:48   Link #1216
LiberLibri
(`◉◞౪◟◉´)

Send a message via AIM to LiberLibri
Quote:
And I have another question that is more on topic, who would say is the most renown Japanese historical figure?
In what aspect? Some people would name Tokugawa Ieyasu, the founder of unified Japan as it is today. Others might prefer Murasaki Shikibu, one of the earliest female novel writer in the world. There are so many figures in Japanese history each of whom would be worth being named as "most renown" from an aspect. I would say Seki Kowa should be spotlighted.
LiberLibri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-16, 14:41   Link #1217
Shadow Kira01

Quote:
I would say it is Date Masamune, a legend from the Sengoku era.

And also, I would say that Eisaku Sato, the founder of the three non-nuclear principles is quite impressive as well.

Of course, the answer to your question depends on the individual.
Old 2009-09-16, 22:48   Link #1218
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiberLibri View Post
In what aspect? Some people would name Tokugawa Ieyasu, the founder of unified Japan as it is today. Others might prefer Murasaki Shikibu, one of the earliest female novel writer in the world. There are so many figures in Japanese history each of whom would be worth being named as "most renown" from an aspect. I would say Seki Kowa should be spotlighted.
I suppose in general, I know the question was vague so sorry about that part. But I guess what I was trying to ask would be one historical figure that any Japanese would know and about similar to all American knowing about Washington and Lincoln, but again the question would still be vague so apologize for it.

Quote:
I would say it is Date Masamune, a legend from the Sengoku era.

And also, I would say that Eisaku Sato, the founder of the three non-nuclear principles is quite impressive as well.

Of course, the answer to your question depends on the individual.
Well I suppose it does depends on individuals but I wanted to really ask the historical figure in Japan, that all would know even a child who is not familiar with history.

Also would Hideyoshi fit in that type of category?
Old 2009-09-16, 23:02   Link #1219
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Hideyoshi was a well-known warlord of the Sengoku Era, but his adventures beyond Japan, especially the failed attack on Korea, undermined his rule.
Old 2009-09-17, 04:50   Link #1220
JMvS
Rawrrr!

Jimmu Tenno perhaps? altough he's borderline a mythological figure.

Tags
culture, discussion, japan, japanese culture