AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Macross - Episode 2 Rating
Perfect 10 76 44.97%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 57 33.73%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 28 16.57%
7 out of 10 : Good 4 2.37%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 0.59%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.59%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.59%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.59%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-04-15, 02:38   Link #201
Mandoric

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquigleone View Post
Why would it be on purpose? I thinks it's more a mistake on the japanese end of things, than on purpose, and that it should be kept standard in the fansubs
We (Gattai) do the same thing. It's fairly obvious that his proper name is Mikhail, and his nickname Michel---maybe a parent or grandparent was French?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
Agreed. Personally, Gattai's version worked fine for me. Again, the thing is with the lack of song subtitles. Hopefully SOMEONE out there will make a good HD feed AND put in song subtitles.
I'll songsub a) as soon as the album releases or b) as soon as someone shows me an example, anywhere, of a fansubber getting a serious OP/ED's lyrics -right- before there's an official source. There's enough I'm becoming postemptively wrong on just with names (at the time of ep 1, for example, JP Wiki had long established Lanca rather than Ranka---this held until ep 2's ED animation) to have the temptation to assume that, for pretty much the first time ever, there are no strange or deliberately incorrect word uses involved; I'm certainly not arrogant enough to assume that I can succeed where every fansub I've watched has failed.
Old 2008-04-15, 04:15   Link #202
Westlo
Lets be reality

It would've made no sense to send out Alto with SMS since he would have no idea about their tactics and formation so I'm glad Ozma did what he did. Alto clearly has the potential and skill to be a top notch pilot but I'm hoping he goes through training before joining up with SMS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZODDGUTS View Post
Looks like I was a wrong about the girl staring at Alto she only stared at him after she heard from another classmate "that was Alto wasn't it?" Though I still wonder what's her relationship with Alto if she's concern about him a close friend? BTW... what's her name?
She's Nanase and she's probably just classmates/friends with him, the relationship chart shows her linked with Ranka, Alto & Michael.

Can someone please translate this?
/beg
Old 2008-04-15, 08:39   Link #203
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandoric View Post
We (Gattai) do the same thing. It's fairly obvious that his proper name is Mikhail, and his nickname Michel---maybe a parent or grandparent was French?

I'll songsub a) as soon as the album releases or b) as soon as someone shows me an example, anywhere, of a fansubber getting a serious OP/ED's lyrics -right- before there's an official source. There's enough I'm becoming postemptively wrong on just with names (at the time of ep 1, for example, JP Wiki had long established Lanca rather than Ranka---this held until ep 2's ED animation) to have the temptation to assume that, for pretty much the first time ever, there are no strange or deliberately incorrect word uses involved; I'm certainly not arrogant enough to assume that I can succeed where every fansub I've watched has failed.
As for Michel, maybe it's due to the boundaries of Japanese pronunciation.

As for the subbing effort, I think it's very reasonable that you guys are going to go for perfect subbing if possible. I don't mind imperfect translations before transitioning, but I can see the reasoning. It's not like the girls will stop singing all of a sudden.
Old 2008-04-15, 09:02   Link #204
Mandoric

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
As for Michel, maybe it's due to the boundaries of Japanese pronunciation.
But Mikhail, when used, is already adjusted to Japanese pronunciation by dropping the hard ch sound to h, just like in pretty much every other German, Scottish, or Russian word that uses it.
Old 2008-04-15, 09:35   Link #205
D a m i e n
permanentely bored

Send a message via ICQ to D a m i e n
please please kill the little boy flying the radar type valkiri.
god did i cringed at the cliche of the SMS staff talking like they are hotshit compared to the regular military during the scramble sequence. (btw why did they need to add a new leeron in the staff, doesnt the show already reached its quota of gay/girlish looking characters?)
Old 2008-04-15, 09:40   Link #206
Westlo
Lets be reality

Odds are Luca will die.
Old 2008-04-15, 09:42   Link #207
D a m i e n
permanentely bored

Send a message via ICQ to D a m i e n
luca = little boy with pink on his cheeks?
if yes and if he indeed dies i ll be most happy.
Old 2008-04-15, 09:46   Link #208
Calder
Innocent Bystander

Luca's chances of living are a little bit higher thanks to the fact he hasn't been shoved inside the Brown VF yet, but my bets are that he's going to get a pretty pathetic death.

As for cheesiness, I don't think I need to remind some of you of some of the hilariously awesome things in SDF Macross (VF-1 wearing clothes anyone?). I think it's a pretty integral part of Macross though so if you're expecting a show void of cheesiness, I doubt you'll find it here.
Old 2008-04-15, 10:31   Link #209
Tabris

Quote:
Originally Posted by D a m i e n View Post
please please kill the little boy flying the radar type valkiri.
god did i cringed at the cliche of the SMS staff talking like they are hotshit compared to the regular military during the scramble sequence. (btw why did they need to add a new leeron in the staff, doesnt the show already reached its quota of gay/girlish looking characters?)
I like Luca. He's cute.

(no homo)
Old 2008-04-15, 10:39   Link #210
Westlo
Lets be reality

I don't mind Luca (pause) but he and Ozma have the highest chance of dying from the supporting cast.
Old 2008-04-15, 11:23   Link #211
Shouta
Infinite-Zero/Translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquigleone View Post
Why would it be on purpose? I thinks it's more a mistake on the japanese end of things, than on purpose, and that it should be kept standard in the fansubs
It's stated in scans for the show that his primary name is Mikhail with Michel in parentheses under that as a secondary name. As Mandoric already pointed out, the pronunciations are already adjusted to Japanese and are different as well.

Here's the source material I saw about this.

http://macrossworld.com/mwf/index.ph...=post&id=49836
Old 2008-04-15, 12:13   Link #212
rickshaw

Send a message via AIM to rickshaw Send a message via MSN to rickshaw
Good episode lucking forward to the next one!

I thought Alto was going to crush Ranka when he was picking her up :P
she'd end up like Gilliam lol and when Ranka let out that scream all the monsters when away so possible military future for her.

Sheryl being a typical famous divas and will maybe get destroyed by a Vajra in the next episode
Old 2008-04-15, 12:16   Link #213
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
Who's the serious looking blond-haired character with the hi-tech hair clip towards the end of the OP (to the right of the big action scene) who's not included on the character page of the official series site yet?

Visually the design reminds me a tiny bit of the awesome Meia from Vandread with the expression and hairstyle.
I don't think anything has been revealed about that person yet.
Old 2008-04-15, 12:57   Link #214
Friera

Send a message via MSN to Friera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
I don't think anything has been revealed about that person yet.
So it seems. He (or is it a girl?) seems important. Is it him on one of the fighters battling the main character at the end of the OP?
Old 2008-04-15, 15:40   Link #215
pinoy78
Yahk, DECULTURE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
I don't mind Luca (pause) but he and Ozma have the highest chance of dying from the supporting cast.
Alto driving into a pineapple truck?
Old 2008-04-15, 15:56   Link #216
hga

The "Ranka Defense"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickshaw View Post
[...]

I thought Alto was going to crush Ranka when he was picking her up :P
she'd end up like Gilliam lol
Hmmm, it just occurred to me that they'd indeed both just seen Gilliam's fate, and that ups my opinion of Ranka quite a few notches. Still the designated damsel in distress for episodes 1-2, but like Alto she didn't come apart emotionally until she could afford it. Tougher than she looks indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickshaw View Post
and when Ranka let out that scream all the monsters when away so possible military future for her....
Given the one proven method we know of obtaining the "Ranka Defense", perhaps we now know the key to Alto eventually getting his SMS VF-25 (I suspect Cathy made a mistake starting with the stick before she saw if the carrot would work...).

Which would Ozma prefer that he "grab" ^_^?

- Harold
Old 2008-04-15, 18:17   Link #217
squaresphere
Macross Lifer!

Really i think Michel has a high chance of death before Luca, mostly cause he seem a bit to awesome to have on the same screen time with Alto
Old 2008-04-15, 20:37   Link #218
Cadorna

Send a message via MSN to Cadorna
^ Blue valky pilot is the ace (Genius) of the show, so the posibility of him dying is almost 0
Old 2008-04-15, 21:09   Link #219
grss1982

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calder View Post
Luca's chances of living are a little bit higher thanks to the fact he hasn't been shoved inside the Brown VF yet, but my bets are that he's going to get a pretty pathetic death.

As for cheesiness, I don't think I need to remind some of you of some of the hilariously awesome things in SDF Macross (VF-1 wearing clothes anyone?). I think it's a pretty integral part of Macross though so if you're expecting a show void of cheesiness, I doubt you'll find it here.
Well actually, IIRC.......................
Spoiler:
Old 2008-04-15, 23:29   Link #220
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by squaresphere View Post
Really i think Michel has a high chance of death before Luca, mostly cause he seem a bit to awesome to have on the same screen time with Alto
It's not uncommon for the main character in Macross to not be the best pilot which is another reason why I like the franchise so much.
Closed Thread