AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-04-15, 15:47   Link #1
Redman321

Question Looking for Anime with large-scale wars

Hi, I'm currently looking for a new anime, preferably one with large-scale wars (any genre is fine [ sci-fi, fantasy, modern, futuristic, historic, etc. ]. I am hoping to find something that has a level of intelligence and violence fitting for an 'older' viewer.
I am not picky about this, but I have found that these types of anime have been most enjoyable.

Animes I have watched and highly enjoyed include: TYTANIA, Code Geass (including R2), Death Note, Berserk, Gundam (all series, especially 00 and SEED), UtawareRumono, Pumpkin Scissors, Rouroni Kenshin, Samurai Champloo, GunXSword, Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in the Shell, rahxephon

Ones that are currently airing that I am enjoying: Phantom ~ Requiem For The Phantom~, 07-Ghost, Valkyria Chronicles,

Anime I am possibly considering watching: Murder, Blassreiter, Crest of the Stars, and Trinity Blood

And Anime that I have found to be not to my liking: Bleach, Naruto, (generally anything where people tend to live after being stabbed thousands of times.)

If anyone could recommend an anime that seems to fit my tastes, I would greatly appreciate it. And I will bake you my special cookies.
Old 2009-04-15, 15:57   Link #2
Smithsky

I'll suggest Crest of the Stars (sci-fi, large scale wars and level of intelligence is quite high). [edit]: Just noticed you're planning to watch this one ;p

The other one that fits your criteria is (I think) Legend of the Galactic Heroes (as I haven't watched this anime, but seen a lot of people recommending it)
Old 2009-04-15, 17:35   Link #3
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
The now airing Sengoku BASARA might fit the bill as well
Old 2009-04-15, 18:37   Link #4
james0246

You might like Saikano. It is a mature title with heaps of angst, warfare (most taking place off screen), and a fun ending (for those who like tragedy at least).

You might also like:

Eureka 7
The various Ghost in the Shell series (SAC or otherwise).
Berserk

I will second Legend of the Galatic Heroes. It is massive (with something like 500 named character), intricate, and thourough in its approach to interstellar warfare.
Old 2009-04-15, 19:56   Link #5
Redman321

Thank you for the suggestions, I have just looked into legend of the galactic heros and sengoku basara and both of them seem very appealing. I greatly appreciate your help, and if you all or anyone else have any more suggestion, well, I thank you. Thanks again.
Old 2009-04-15, 20:48   Link #6
Kushi

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann has a world / universe war... but it doesn't really fit into the content of more matured violence / intelligence. But tbh if you liked the gundams, you should like this
Old 2009-04-15, 22:09   Link #7
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

In Noein, a war between two "parallel universes" spills over into "our" universe, involving a bunch of middle school students in Hokkaido. That said, the war is pretty abstract, with most of the conflicts resolved through one-on-one confrontations among the protagonists. The scale of the struggle is epic, but the execution is very personal.

A more traditional portrayal of warfare with large armies takes place in Junni Kokuki (Twelve Kingdoms). It's an important event in the story, but there are many other threads in this complex fantasy work.
Old 2009-04-16, 01:36   Link #8
Tier3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushi View Post
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann has a world / universe war... but it doesn't really fit into the content of more matured violence / intelligence. But tbh if you liked the gundams, you should like this
While it doesn't fit in with mature violence... I would second this suggestions. Check it out!
Old 2009-04-16, 03:42   Link #9
astranagun

I'll say Heroic Age and Fafner are good, too.
Old 2009-04-16, 04:06   Link #10
daragez

I'd say SAIKANO....too good for you....
Old 2009-04-16, 08:01   Link #11
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

I recommend Legend of galactic Heroes if you like seinen.

Simoun is also set in a large scale war scenario that lasts for the whole duration of the series.

Closed Thread

Tags
anime