AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2009-04-25, 07:15   Link #181
seaghyn16
Translator Level 4/10

It's not really a recommendation but...as I've posted tons of times about that site I made, I decided to use this forum

I'm going to be tearing down my site. I don't feel like paying 3$ a month or whatever it is, and I don't have the time to upkeep and work on stuff like that. So, I'll just be using the db.lightnovel.org site or whatever, to do synopsis and stuff if I want, and for the big stuff, (teasers, prologues, novels) I'll just do what every body else and their mother does, and use LiveJournal. It'll be up for a few more months, because I paid ahead...O_o, but after the time is up, I'll be shutting it down. Hope it was enjoyed to the small extent it was.

-NeoSam: If you want to take the synopses for the novels before I trash the website, you've got a little bit of time. I'll probably keep it backed up for a bit, but after you have them and they are set to be put up on the database, I'll be getting rid of it.

What do they call this in the governement? "overspending" or something, where they try to cut back on their budget everywhere. Well, I'm saving myself some 3$ a month. 10 cents a day, which can get me an on sale fish entre to make up as dinner every week. ^_^
seaghyn16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-25, 11:19   Link #182
Ryuou
進む道は武士道のみ

Location: Dying to get back to Japan (but currently near Chicago)
That's too bad to hear, seaghyn16. But I guess it allows for more focus to be directed on one site.
Ryuou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-25, 19:15   Link #183
seaghyn16
Translator Level 4/10

Yeah...but in the long run, it really does make sense to put them all up on a wiki version of a database or something, you know. Much, much easier to handle, and free updates from others...there's no comparison. As for the teasers though, I'll still be doing them, it's just I'll probably end up using some LJ account for it.
Old 2009-04-25, 19:58   Link #184
Ryuou
進む道は武士道のみ

Yeah I'd have to say the same. You don't think there can be a teaser section on the wiki?
Old 2009-04-30, 18:33   Link #185
apr
Pedestrian

Finished 9S volume 1. It was entertaining, but in the end there was too much action and too little, er, thinking, for my taste. It also seemed overly dragged out. Postponing reading v2+ until later.

Then I went for Kubikiri Cycle by Nishio Ishin, and it was fantastic. Absolutely loved it. I do have a thing for mystery novels, however, and one of my all-time favourite books is And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie, which this had a lot of similarities with. The writing is sharp, the dialogue is witty and always interesting, and the ultratwist at the end was satisfyingly amusing. I still can't believe the guy was only 20 years old when he wrote this. Definitely going to buy the rest of his stuff, and I've already got the next two parts in my bookshelf, but I'll wait a bit, since the double-page format can be pretty exhausting.

Currently reading Ben-too volume 1 by Asaura. It's... strange, to say the least. After 95 pages I've concluded that yes, it really is about a high school club where people go into supermarkets and fight viciously for half-priced lunches. While amusing, the setup is just so bizarre that I can't quite get into it.
Old 2009-05-02, 06:56   Link #186
seaghyn16
Translator Level 4/10

@NeoSam:

These are all the synopsis for the light novels from the site, which you can use on the db.lightnovel.org site.

Spoiler for Light Novels and Synopses:

As for the images, google image search with the japanese titles will get you what you need. Anyway, I look forward to seeing these up on the DB .

Though, what else do you need to do to finish the DB for wiki editing?

::::EDIT::::

How many times am I going to move my site.../sigh...O_o

Anyway, if your interested in reading prologues of japanese light novels, check out http://orenotokei.livejournal.com, where you will have a novel dangled in front of you before you realize you'll never get to read the rest unless I translate it or you learn Japanese O_o

Last edited by seaghyn16; 2009-05-02 at 10:34.
Old 2009-05-06, 12:06   Link #187
apr
Pedestrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apr View Post
Currently reading Ben-too volume 1 by Asaura. It's... strange, to say the least. After 95 pages I've concluded that yes, it really is about a high school club where people go into supermarkets and fight viciously for half-priced lunches. While amusing, the setup is just so bizarre that I can't quite get into it.
I eventually got into it, and suddenly it became awesome and spectacular. What begins as a feeling of confused incomprehension at silly supermarket games gradually grows into an elated respect for the author, who somehow, inexplicably, manages to turn this twisted concept into something impressive and exciting. Great characters, hilarious humour, superb battle scenes, and at the core of it all, I must say there's something deeply interesting hidden. It started out very slow, but by the end I was loving it.

Currently halfway through Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu volume 1, and it's simple and stupid so far. Kind of funny, I guess, but I hope there's more to it than that.
Old 2009-05-08, 09:22   Link #188
NeoSam

Thanks seaghyn I'm still waiting for the site to be updated though >_< Eclipse (the site's admin) seems to be very busy lately >_<
Old 2009-05-09, 00:57   Link #189
apr
Pedestrian

Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu volume 1 turned out to be a comedy all the way through. It's pretty funny, but on the whole it just feels too shallow to be anything but a "meh, what's next?" There's no particular plot to speak of (not really), it's way too game-y, and with the heavily stereotyped characters it feels like the author decided to dump a bunch of cliches into a box and see what comes out. It's not bad, and seemingly very popular in Japan, but to me it just feels like a sit-com I've already seen sixty times before.

Munched my way through Bungaku Shoujo volume 1 after that, and was disappointed after the insane hype. It's just too bloody convenient. There's a section in the middle where part of the mystery is revealed, and it's a long line of unprovoked confessions where characters just fall over each other trying to explain everything to the smallest detail. The twist was nice, but again it got all convenient with wrapping things up. It's also the first book I've come across where the way people talk actually gets on my nerves -- all the girls speak like overly cutesy stereotypes which makes me want to strangle them, and at times half the page is filled with ~~~~~~~~~~~~~, plus the abusive way Tooko spreads around her girly "wa". In spite of this I did enjoy the book, and will continue to read the series, hoping it gets less neatly put together and artificial, because the chemistry between the main characters is very nice to behold.
Old 2009-05-09, 10:52   Link #190
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Tri-ring has already helped me out with part of what I'm looking for, but is there anyone out there who has read the entire Moribito series by Uehashi Nahoko? If so, please PM me as I'd love to ask you something...
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-16, 07:46   Link #191
apr
Pedestrian

Mwahaha.
Old 2009-05-16, 19:39   Link #192
seaghyn16
Translator Level 4/10

HOLY S***

That has to be the most godly stack of books I've ever seen O_o

Whats the one to the right of Spice and Wolf Volume 7?
Old 2009-05-16, 20:44   Link #193
apr
Pedestrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaghyn16 View Post
HOLY S***

Whats the one to the right of Spice and Wolf Volume 7?
Sora no Kane no Hibiku Hoshi de - 03, if you mean that one.
Old 2009-05-16, 23:21   Link #194
Ryuou
進む道は武士道のみ

Wow, apr that's pretty cool. 113? Did I count right? I’d like to do something like that but my collection is only about half yours.

You own every series I have except for Kurenai it looks like.

I take it you read all of those right? Man, I haven't even finished one of mine yet, haha.
Old 2009-05-17, 03:21   Link #195
seaghyn16
Translator Level 4/10

My gosh O_o. My "collection" is only 5 books...I literally am so broke it's not even funny...

Spice and Wolf 1+2
Puipui! 1+2
Bird Heart Beat 2
Old 2009-05-17, 03:56   Link #196
meh

Quote:
Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu volume 1 turned out to be a comedy all the way through. It's pretty funny, but on the whole it just feels too shallow to be anything but a "meh, what's next?" There's no particular plot to speak of (not really), it's way too game-y, and with the heavily stereotyped characters it feels like the author decided to dump a bunch of cliches into a box and see what comes out. It's not bad, and seemingly very popular in Japan, but to me it just feels like a sit-com I've already seen sixty times before.
Then it's probably a bad idea for you to continue reading. What you've described sums up the entire series. There is indeed no plot to speak of. Everything serves as fodder for more jokes. But very high in terms of the LOLmeter for me. So I loved it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaghyn16 View Post
HOLY S***

If you think about how long some of these series are, it's actually not difficult o pile up such a number.

Off the top of my head, I've bought 50+ books just from Shakugan no Shana(17), Zero no Tsukaima(13), Suzumiya Haruhi(9), To Aru Majutsu no Index(7), and Nogizaka haruhi no himitsu(7). And this doesn't even include shorter series or series I've dropped.

These novels are usually quite short and quick reads in general.
meh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-17, 06:24   Link #197
apr
Pedestrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuou View Post
Wow, apr that's pretty cool. 113? Did I count right? I’d like to do something like that but my collection is only about half yours.

You own every series I have except for Kurenai it looks like.

I take it you read all of those right? Man, I haven't even finished one of mine yet, haha.
I, er, only read about 40 so far. I seem to be addicted to ordering new novels when I find something that looks interesting, and now my bookshelf looks like this: http://img.muri.se/jp-books.jpg

And I have another order of 28 coming next week, probably.
Old 2009-05-17, 06:31   Link #198
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
I, er, only read about 40 so far. I seem to be addicted to ordering new novels when I find something that looks interesting, and now my bookshelf looks like this: http://img.muri.se/jp-books.jpg

And I have another order of 28 coming next week, probably.
40 LN readed so far! it's good, better than me. I still have most of the ''ToraDora'' and ''Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora'' still waiting to be read on my bookshelf and with my fuck-up schedule than I have right now I barely read in Japanese.
Old 2009-05-17, 06:36   Link #199
Tri-ring

Quote:
Hey you still have PLENTY of space.
My bookself has books stashed on top of books with no space whatsoever so some that doesn't make it gets piled up on the floor.
I go to Book-off every 6 month to "Unload" my bookshelves before stashing up again.
Tri-ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-17, 07:36   Link #200
Solafighter
Hige

Quote:

Mwahaha.
This is an awsomeness collection.

If its true, you are from sweden, but can read the novels or are they in english(well since the titles are in jap, i think the whole bunch is jap lol)?

RESPECT!

Tags
light novels