AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-01-25, 02:10   Link #241
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Spoiler for ep3:

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-25, 02:24   Link #242
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Just as a side note, mythologically Japanese Sorcerers are suppose to be able to animate paper cut-outs as golems, by attaching charms to them. You see the paper golems in the battle, but also the same charms used to animate choppers and tanks.

It is only surreal if you haven't seen that portrayed before. And frankly there aren't that many anime that portrayed Shinto magic. Abenobashi Shopping Arcade was one, but I can't think of another.
Old 2013-01-25, 02:43   Link #243
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

So Tama is anti-spiritual weapon while Kagami is anti-conventional weapon

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-25, 02:45   Link #244
Kakkou
Tch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Just as a side note, mythologically Japanese Sorcerers are suppose to be able to animate paper cut-outs as golems, by attaching charms to them. You see the paper golems in the battle, but also the same charms used to animate choppers and tanks.

It is only surreal if you haven't seen that portrayed before. And frankly there aren't that many anime that portrayed Shinto magic. Abenobashi Shopping Arcade was one, but I can't think of another.
Being a very Japanese belief, it's impossible for Shinto magic and customs to not have been frequently used in anime and other mediums. There are plenty of series featuring onmyouji and Shinto magic, such as Shounen Onmyouji, Tactics and Nurarihyon no Mago off the top of my head. Even last season's Kamisama Hajimemashita has the main character using paper charms as a meduim for her powers.
Kakkou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-25, 02:48   Link #245
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakkou View Post
Being a very Japanese belief, it's impossible for Shinto magic and customs to not have been frequently used in anime and other mediums. There are plenty of series featuring onmyouji and Shinto magic, such as Shounen Onmyouji, Tactics and Nurarihyon no Mago off the top of my head. Even last season's Kamisama Hajimemashita has the main character using paper charms as a meduim for her powers.
Well, I stand corrected. Guess it proves I haven't been watching many new shows.

On a different note, can someone translate Kagami's battle puns in ep 3? I know it is shrine-related, but I like to know more detail than what subs offered.
Old 2013-01-25, 03:44   Link #246
DorkingtonPugsly

Definitely too much to take in all at once. Going to have to re-watch. And so with this episode we finally know about all the characters, and some background info, so I guess we're moving on (guessing that was the end of the first volume of the LN's). I like yagami a lot more, even than before, after this episode.
Old 2013-01-25, 04:56   Link #247
Divini
Senpai!

Ep 3 wasn't all that hard to take in at once. Pretty straightforward for me. Though I'm used to Shinto so I dunno if that played a factor.

So the first three episodes was the 'prologue' huh. The 3 episodes so far could stand alone as an excellent 3-part OVA, as it seemed like this episode wrapped all the plot lines up and answered every question I had. Hope the rest of the series will keep things interesting.
Divini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-25, 05:58   Link #248
Silverwyrm

Ok this show is weird, but whatever, something about it amuses me.
Silverwyrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-25, 06:06   Link #249
sirn
田舎者言うな

Quote:
On a different note, can someone translate Kagami's battle puns in ep 3? I know it is shrine-related, but I like to know more detail than what subs offered.
I don't get the first one, but the rest are:

「血祭りなのです」
Pun on "Matsuri" (祭り, festival) and "Chi-matsuri" (血祭り, bloodshed).
Since Shine is where a Matsuri is held.

「惨敗なのです」「惨敗と参拝をかけたのです」
Pun on "Zanpai" (惨敗, crushing defeat) and "Sanpai" (参拝, shrine visit).

Apparently these puns are anime original.
sirn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-25, 09:57   Link #250
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Tons of exposition in this episode. Perhaps a little too much, this episode was no more than a giant info-dump with some (nice) action to spice things up. Now we know everything there is to know about Sasami and the Yagami sisters... or maybe not?

I'm curious to see where the story is going to go now. Given Sasami's powers, it could literally go anywhere. It could have just as easily ended there too, since Sasami's troubles were resolved.
Old 2013-01-25, 10:07   Link #251
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

So here comes the development.
Well , not bad atm.
I don't really like dumb incest anime but this one is different with the religion/cultural setting.
Don't know what's up next , hope for better content.
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-25, 10:45   Link #252
Midonin
Last Engage

Sasami-san@Ganbaranai 03 - Quantum Sister

A lot of information, but the setup of the world has been almost completely demystified. Or rather, completely mystified. Now that we know the boundaries set up by the end of the story, it's a matter of playing within them. I think there's more of Japanese mythology that can be explored, though a cursory glance at Wikipedia informs me that the author starts moving onto myths from around the world beginning at Vol. 5. Though I don't know if the anime will reach there.

The third arm sequence is proof that if one wants someone to handle weird and surreal animation, there's no better choice than Shaft. Some of the things Sasami did with that arm (like drinking while using both hands to type) was a little odd, but I know that was the point. The fractured fairy tale at the start set the tone and theme for the rest of the episode creatively, as well. The show's off to a good start, and I'm curious to see where it will go from here. Even moreso now that the ED's been properly animated. But not properly sung.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-25, 11:47   Link #253
Elestia

It's always been bugging me, but in the first episode where Kamiomi seems to be walking around in a giant warehouse, is that suppose to be Costco? I wasn't aware Japan had those.
Old 2013-01-25, 17:25   Link #254
Xion Valkyrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elestia View Post
It's always been bugging me, but in the first episode where Kamiomi seems to be walking around in a giant warehouse, is that suppose to be Costco? I wasn't aware Japan had those.
I'm pretty sure most houses in Japan don't have rooms the size of hotel lobbies either. It's just a Shaft art style to make everything bigger.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-25, 17:33   Link #255
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elestia View Post
http://www.costco.co.jp/p/
Old 2013-01-25, 18:09   Link #256
zeniselv
Staring into your soul.

i didn't expect this series to have this kind of story or any story at all, but hey, you cannot not expect anything in a shaft show, at least for me these past two episodes had gotten me really interested, im also pleasantly surprised for the great action animation.
Old 2013-01-25, 19:24   Link #257
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Am I just a pervert or am I just starting to watch this for the ecchi. The female MC just capture my soul in the first half.... I'm so fascinated by her character... I need more of her!!!! More skin!!!!

She's one of the hottest girls this season!!!
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-25, 19:59   Link #258
HandofFate

At least the introduction episodes are full circle. Still not sure if this is a series I like, seems it just depends on "hey check out this weird premise, isn't it weird? Keep watching please!"

It isn't the first time I seen these japanese gods play a part in anime and games, so just their names alone isn't gonna keep me tied to the story.
Old 2013-01-25, 20:44   Link #259
Dark Faith
Often Disappointed

This one's hanging between "I'll keep watching..." and "Wow, I've had enough of this crazy stuff!". Episode 2 almost had me stop watching but episode 3 was somewhat enjoyable (minus the part at the shrine. That was just silly).

Seems like we're done with explaining the setting and onto the actual.. eh.. story now? Gonna need another episode or two to decide..
Dark Faith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-25, 21:56   Link #260
Elestia

Quote:
Thanks. This may be the first time I've actually seen a Costco reference in an anime. Lord knows how many times I go there, the hotdogs they sell are also a good reason to go there just to get something cheap and delicious to eat.

Tags
fantasy, romantic comedy, shounen