AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2012-09-29, 18:02   Link #141
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Final Fantasy 8. As far as I'm concerned, Rinoa and Squal are a Final Fantasy couple that will never be matched (among main characters at least; FF 9 had a number of surprisingly good side-character romances). While the fangasm over the doll-like Yuna and six-year old Tidus is something I can objectively understand, it doesn't stop me from puking silently.

Final Fantasy 4 was the most life altering, in that I'm pretty sure it was the prime catalyst that got me interested in JRPGs. I had played FF 1 on the NES as a little boy, but didn't care for it due to its lack of anything really resembling a story. FF 4 was the first JRPG I played that, to my 10? 11? 8? year old brain seemed like an epic fantasy. I was hooked.

I actually think FF 12 was the closest to being the most complete package of all the FF games. If only its story had been able to live up to the epic scope of the SNES/PS 1 days. Even if the story had remained the somewhat aborted thing it was pushed out to market as, but they had never included Vaan (and Penelope), and kept Basch as the main character (and, while we're wishing for unicorns and rainbows...never put Asch in a pink miniskirt), it's quite possible I'd hold FF 12 as the greatest FF game ever.

Certainly, the meta-world of Ivalice is-by far-the best setting Square has had for any of their games. No other FF game came remotely close in the voice acting front either.

That said, I thoroughly enjoyed every FF game that came out from FF 4 through 9. 10 was the first crack in my blind love affair with the franchise, as I wanted nothing more than to stick my penis into dead people rather than try to find some way to empathize with Tidus, and thought Yuna was like taking the JRPG female that wasn't exactly a shining beacon of progressiveness to begin with and taking a thousand steps backwards.

I've slowly become resigned to the probable fact that I am likely too old/cynical/etc to enjoy any new FF games. Not only did I think FF XIII was the hands down worst game Square has ever made (and probably the worst game ever made by any company from a dollars spent:how good the game was ratio), that Square continued to embrace that monstrosity with FF XIII-2 (second worst game they've ever made), and now a third FF XIII game has pretty much removed any doubts in my mind that the franchise is just not for me anymore.

Though, there remains this little voice within my head that says the traditional method of having two teams work on subsequent FFs (assuming we take all three FF XIII games as being the 'same' game), means perhaps FF 15 will be done by the "other" FF team. The one that gave us 12. So, maybe it'll be good?
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-29, 23:39   Link #142
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
Just curious

what is everyone first Final Fantasy Game?

Started with Final Fantasy 1
Mystic Quest was my first FF game, followed by FFIV. I didn't really come love the series until FFVI though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
First Final Fantasy game I played, like many, was 7. Favorite though is definitely 9, I really, really don't understand why everyone else seemed to dislike it.
The game is pretty will liked among the community, just not talked about a whole lot since it's one lesser controversial games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
just a guess, i think most of the criticism came form older game who like me started with ff1. imo it was ok but there wasn't anything really outstanding about it.
I found FFIX to be pretty mediocre too. The plot starts off really well, but then after Disc 1 it deteriorates bit by bit (including ripping off plot points from earlier FF particularly FFIV and anticlimactic confrontation with Garland) until it cumulates into the most poor built up final boss in series. Doesn't help that half cast (Freya, Amarant, Quina) either becomes irrelevant later or was so at the start. Only Vivi, Garnet and possibly Eiko get any real character development. Zidane has interesting backstory, but has little to no effect on his character, instead it does far for Kuja's growth.

Unfortunately the gameplay isn't much better, aside from the fact there is little to no strategy in most of boss fights, the battle system itself is ridiculous slow which makes it difficult to replay at least for me, especially after FFIV DS, and FFX-XIII. The Growth system is interesting, but becomes rather botched because you can actually miss skills. Trance is also pretty useless due it's uncontrollable nature, so it normally end ups being triggering when you don't what it to. The mini-games are okay most ranging decent (Chocobo Hot & Cold) to terrible (Tetra Master).

That said, the game has its positives, the art direction is fantastic, the writing is among stronger ones in the series, there are quite memorable moments (like Alexander's reveal) and has the best side characters in the series (Beatrix, Marcus, Lani etc). It also has the most well developed villain out all the games aside from FFX (no I'm not taking about Seymour).

So in end, it's just middling entry into series for me.

Last edited by Iron Maw; 2012-09-30 at 01:07.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-04, 02:31   Link #143
Ceral
はりゃほれうまうーっ!

My first FF experience was with FF II (IV JP), I remember watching my brother play when I was a wee little kid and thinking, "That game is so cool! it's just like a movie!"

I've played all of them, even the Japanese versions of II and III on the nes on rom before they ever get remade on PS. Before moe anime there was only FF ... .

As for my favorite FF, I have two answers to this, VI I had the most fun with, it was the coolest and most addicting. FF VII was the more artistic one, and probably my most favorite one, but my feelings about VII are mixed, the first disc is probably the best gaming experience I ever had, but I feel the 2nd and 3rd discs have a drop-off in attention to detail towards the story. FF VII was life, it wasn't just fun, it was angsty, every character had a sad story to tell, the story was sad and frustrating, but in that way it was amazing, no other game told such a complex storyline with such a wide array of emotions at the time.

The actual game was kind of easy though, I never had to spend time leveling, and I never felt the greed for wanting better gear, gil never felt like it had a value, and only being able to use a weapon (Which everyone had their unique versions of and never shared.) and a bracelet, felt like there were no gear choices to be made. FF VI had great itemization, the story and music, the bosses and the gearing up had a unique flavor to it that just made it so much fun.

Come to think of it, I miss having to make the choices about gearing up in the NES and SNES versions of the game, but I don't mind the more (emo) storylines. I love a good storyline, even though I feel like they've sort of dropped the ball in this aspect in recent years. When I think of FF, it has always been a pioneer in graphics, music and storyline IMO, nowadays, it is just a pioneer in graphics, sadly. As far as music and storyline I think Anime and VNs are superior... but that's another topic.

To get back to the topic, my favorite FF would have to be VII just because of the storyline and characters being so modern, FF VII breathed life and emotion into the characters while telling a wild plot. I think FF VI was the better game though, it was more polished, fun, and possibly more satisfying in that I have absolutely no complaints about it, it was just the more complete game.
Ceral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-04, 06:55   Link #144
Kizoku Keenan
ばか =)

I love & will always love final fantasy 7 it was the first game I bought for my PS when I was like 11 and have played it at least once every year or so ever since for nostalgia reasons it is almost like visiting an old friend.

Top 5 FF list would be...

1. FF7
2. FFX
3. FF6
4.FF9
5.FF3
Old 2012-10-04, 10:01   Link #145
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Definitely Final Fantasy 6. It has one of the best soundtracks in video game history and probably the best developed characters and story out of the entire series.

Not to mention I find Kefka to be the best villian out of all the games. He is so widely different from all other FF villians. Everyone else kinda had the pieces just fall into place. "Oh, he's a demigod, or faceless ruler of all the kingdom, you'll HAVE to fight him. Kefa was just a plain guy, a plain sadistic guy in an empire's army who backstabbed and manipulated his way into becoming ruler. Not to mention he has that great laugh. Kefka was so damn evil and crazy that he made people want to commit suicide instead of facing his wrath.

There were tons of epic moments and twists in FF6, the most striking is the moment when the heroes fail to stop Kefka from literally tearing the world apart killing millions and almost all lfie on the planet. The heroes failing in a FF game, who'd a thunk it.

GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote