AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-07-22, 10:04   Link #401
HandofFate

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardf29 View Post
I guess I can't see any reason behind why there would be doubts that the anime would treat it as a serious issue. Sure, most anime don't, but already this show is proving to not be like most anime.

And I also think that Taichi's helping Yui might cause some problems between him and Iori. He did, after all, nearly get caught by Class Rep in thinking that he was "cheating".
Probably, Iori seemed cold to him at the end of the episode upon seeing them rather close. Where usually as mentioned before, she's usually all energetic and touchyfeely with Taichi.
Old 2012-07-22, 11:42   Link #402
Marina2

This show deserve more popularity, really!

The peace is good. It has a good balance between Slice of life and drama. The creative usage of "Body switch" plot.

Yui and Taichi scene in ep.3 is one of best scene I have seen in this season.

I actually own the novel but I don't have a time to read it. There are too many interesting light novels in these days...I bought them a lot but almost have no time to read them LOL. So, I will stick with anime version for now.

Can someone tell me how far is the story compared to novel? Are we almost finish vol.1???
Old 2012-07-22, 12:14   Link #403
larethian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina2 View Post
This show deserve more popularity, really!

The peace is good. It has a good balance between Slice of life and drama. The creative usage of "Body switch" plot.

Yui and Taichi scene in ep.3 is one of best scene I have seen in this season.

I actually own the novel but I don't have a time to read it. There are too many interesting light novels in these days...I bought them a lot but almost have no time to read them LOL. So, I will stick with anime version for now.

Can someone tell me how far is the story compared to novel? Are we almost finish vol.1???
You sound like me
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-22, 12:27   Link #404
Arya

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
Comparing Aoki to Wien will be a bit unfair for Aoki. Wien is annoying while Aoki might be dumb on some part like what he did in episode 03 which is spelled that they will be busted. At least he is thoughtful and can feel the others problem. Aoki unlike Taichi which is pretty much clueless in the matter is observing the others and also observing the one he likes. He even notice that when he is in Yui's body. He is shaking in near presence of a man. While Wien is plain idiot annoying that needs to buy a new guide in learning Japanese.
I intended to say that they are out of place so far in their shows respectively. But I agree, Aoki has shown some depth, even if I'm considering him more like one of those dumb side character friends of the MC than a full protagonist for now. I can't see why Yui should ever start thinking about him in that way.
Totally agree on your Wien's description, nothing more to add.

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-22, 12:27   Link #405
desrtsku
Nympholept

More importantly, how many volumes are out already? It facilitates my task of looking for the raws, and trying to improve my (poor) Japanese reading skills in the process.
Old 2012-07-22, 13:16   Link #406
Arturia Polaris
Good OP Hunter

Well I just crunched through the first 3 episodes.

REALLY interesting plot, really interesting characters. Good animation, good voices (IWASAWA-SAMA!).

Kudos to the people behind this. I'll be seeing this through to the end.

Cheers
Arturia

My fanfiction works include:

Tari Tari: Past and Present, As the Gentle Breeze Blows
Little Busters: Bird's Song
Sword Art Online: Vanquishing of the Laughing Coffin

My own works include: Social Fact
Arturia Polaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-22, 13:33   Link #407
Kirito
Enjoying Snack Time!

Send a message via MSN to Kirito
Quote:
Originally Posted by desrtsku View Post
More importantly, how many volumes are out already? It facilitates my task of looking for the raws, and trying to improve my (poor) Japanese reading skills in the process.
There are currently 8 volumes for the novel. Volume 1 is currently being translated though.
Old 2012-07-22, 14:33   Link #408
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Taichi said he had never thought of Iori "that way." Yui said she didn't fear Taichi because he was Taichi (and therefore not threatening or exciting, I inferred).

So I think Taichi and Inaba may well end up together. They are kind of similar, serious about helping other people, and willing to go against their own desires (Inaba pushing him toward Iori when she semi-unconsciously likes him herself).

Aoki seems like a nonentity, but at least he is serious toward Yui, and trying to do the right thing. He's not anywhere near as bad as many silly sidekick characters. Maybe she will warm to him once she gets a chance to kick him in the nuts, lol.

I like all the female characters. Inaba of course. Yui for this episode. But Iori is pretty fascinating, too. Her sudden switch to smiling agreement when her mother told her (she was getting remarried?) was chilling and sad. She holds herself under strict control, to avoid heartache. There was something both charmingly humorous and also a bit ominous about her talking about charging for a peek.

I loved the highly dangerous cliffhanger at the end. I'm guessing Inaba has lost her consciousness without getting anyone else's in return.

Humour. Yes, it's there. But it is not the kind of humour you laugh at, more the kind that gives you a painful and ironic smile. Kicking in the nuts: painful. Filmed confessions: awkward. Not happy humour, but still humour of a kind. Not as hilarious as Ebiten...but let's not go there, lol. Senses of humour differ. In any case, I find this a show where any humour there may be is just there to help keep us from crying.

I had hopes for this show before the season started, and it is fulfilling them.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2012-07-22 at 15:43.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-22, 14:47   Link #409
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I don't see how Taichi's selflessness is such a problem tbh. It's not like he's been overly active in his pursuit of selflessness. He only seems to deal with the problems that he happens to notice so I'd say he's been mostly passive about it.

The only problem I can see arising is if there is a deeper problem with him that's the cause of his selflessness and it's not like that necessarily has to be the case.

I suppose there is the possibility that his selflessness is giving him a too narrow or inappropriate viewpoint to deal with certain and important situations and may even be doing more harm than good, but I can't yet think of any convoluted situation like that. And like above that doesn't necessarily have to be the case either so it's not an inherent flaw in his selflessness.

If anything it's his denseness that's most likely the issue. I don't see how that's linked to his selflessness though I guess the story has been hinting at it.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-22, 16:18   Link #410
Blaat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
I don't see how Taichi's selflessness is such a problem tbh. It's not like he's been overly active in his pursuit of selflessness.
Maybe I've seen too much House but when a guy kicks himself as hard as possible in the nuts just to help someone else I think by that point you have a problem. And I do hope it is a problem because honestly it's kind of boring that it's only the girls that's having emotional problems while the guys seem perfectly normal.
Old 2012-07-22, 16:47   Link #411
HandofFate

Yea, not sure if the Inaba's criticism of his selflessness will bring anything to the surface.

Don't think its anywhere at all on the level of Emiya Shirou (F/SN)
Old 2012-07-22, 16:51   Link #412
ReddyRedWolf

So Taichi could be a Peter Parker or Gary Hobson, a moment of selfishness gets somebody hurt resulting to Dulcinea Effect. (I wont call it yet a Chronic Hero Complex as he volunteering for girls he knows not strangers.)
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-22, 16:57   Link #413
JediNight
キズランダム

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandofFate View Post
Probably, Iori seemed cold to him at the end of the episode upon seeing them rather close. Where usually as mentioned before, she's usually all energetic and touchyfeely with Taichi.
I assume she's going to be afraid Taichi is going to migrate towards hanging out with Yui more and leaving her more isolated and alone.
JediNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-22, 16:58   Link #414
Arya

I just re-watched the episode and I was a bit too harsh to Aoki. And the fake confession was a great idea and I bet it was Aoki's Inaba reaction was really sharp anyways

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
Maybe I've seen too much House but when a guy kicks himself as hard as possible in the nuts just to help someone else I think by that point you have a problem. And I do hope it is a problem because honestly it's kind of boring that it's only the girls that's having emotional problems while the guys seem perfectly normal.
Well, so far it seems that girls will have deeper issues and boys will be involved in the process. From one side it would be realistic, sort of, as Aoki as already said depicting himself. Girls are indeed more reflective, boys more carefree and clueless. But it's a bit early to be sure about that. And I agree that it would be a bit unfair.

About Taichi selflessness I don't know if it will be a problem or his main problem. A hypothesis is that he will follow, willingly or unwillingly, Inaba's designed path to Iori due to his selflessness alone, despite what he really want is somewhere else. A bit predictable. But it depend on how much Inaba is reliable on her judgment about Iori's weakness. I was taking it for granted (inaba reliability), even if she admitted she could be wrong on the bodyswitching bad effects. The way Iori has been shown so far should confirm that, but I'm not so sure now. Iori could be the strong one and Inaba the "weak". Because from another perspective Inaba statements on Iori weakness and taichi freakness fit quite well her character, too. Like she was mirroring her weakness on them.
Well, anyways whoever will be the stronger or the weaker I'm enjoying the ride and it's a good sign.

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-22, 17:16   Link #415
HandofFate

Is there any screenshots or translation shot of the Opening with all the characters in front of the chalk board and what all the misc. writing behind them says?
Old 2012-07-22, 17:33   Link #416
Flawfinder
Loves the Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
I don't see how Taichi's selflessness is such a problem tbh. It's not like he's been overly active in his pursuit of selflessness. He only seems to deal with the problems that he happens to notice so I'd say he's been mostly passive about it.
I don't mind a character being selfless, but not to the extent that they remind me of a Da Capo protagonist. Even if I did ignore the fact that it's only the females who have problems, they still have more well-rounded personalities. Taichi seems more like a plot device than an actual character.

My Awesome Anime Blog: Standing On My Neck
Flawfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-22, 17:37   Link #417
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:
I'm sure that the guys have their own problems. It's just that they are guys, and they are handling their problems the way guys do. In my experience, guys tend to compartmentalize, more so then women.

This is different from Iori. Iori has a mask, and underneath there is turmoil. Men (in general) are more likely to have turmoil in one compartment of their life, but in others are fine- not just on the surface but all the way down. On the one hand this might appear to be a strength that allows men to deal with emotional crap more easily. On the other hand, remember how compartmentalizing worked for the Titantic? When men crack up it tends to be pretty catastrophic.

My guess on Taichi's problem:

Taichi is self-sacrificing, and this serves him very well in all aspects of his life save one. His love life. I think the hints are already there that Taichi has difficultly in his love life because he is so selfless. The hints are actually in the first episode that he's in a little unspoken love triangle with Inaba and Iori (remember who they asked to choose which one he'd prefer naked). It's also clear that in their class they are often together and form a "threesome" of friends. Comments on his love life are also the only things we've seen so far to get a rise out of him.

But why does Taichi care for Inaba and Iori? Is it because Iori needs him? Is it because Inaba needs him? It's pretty clear that both of them are actually the more emotionally fragile girls. Underneath her exterior, Yui is pretty strong emotionally, just traumatized. If both of them need him, how can Taichi choose one of them? (Hence his answer: "both"). And can Taichi even differentiate between his own personal desires and his white knight persona? How can Taichi choose? How will his choice know whether he choose her because he prefers her or because he judged her to have the greater need?

All those love life problems that it looks like he, Inaba, and Iori had put on the backburner are now starting to spread into other parts of his life (thanks to the mind swapping).

That's my bet for Taichi. It's a little early of course to be sure, so don't hold me too it, but everyone seems impatient to identify the boys' issues, so I'll put Taichi down for that. (Most likely to be resolved after Inaba's and Iori's issues).

Aoki's the real cipher here. Who knows what his issue is. He seems like a normal nice boy, just a little pervy, about normal maturity level for his age (not much), and in love with a girl who has issues.

Maybe his problem will simply be a love story between him and Yui, all about Aoki becoming the kind of guy who deserves Yui and can provide her what she needs. Right now I'd be betting that he's the final one to get resolved.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-22, 18:34   Link #418
Kirito
Enjoying Snack Time!

Send a message via MSN to Kirito
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post

Aoki's the real cipher here. Who knows what his issue is. He seems like a normal nice boy, just a little pervy, about normal maturity level for his age (not much), and in love with a girl who has issues.

Maybe his problem will simply be a love story between him and Yui, all about Aoki becoming the kind of guy who deserves Yui and can provide her what she needs. Right now I'd be betting that he's the final one to get resolved.
Aoki's sure is getting the short end of the stick when it comes to romance due to the fact of his "eccentric" behaviour. It's obvious before that he fancied Yui with a passion, and now looking at episode 3 with her issues, I wonder if he'll also see her as someone he also needs to protect when the time comes. I too wonder, what problems he has...woman troubles in the past, who knows.
Old 2012-07-22, 18:52   Link #419
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Maybe I've seen too much House but when a guy kicks himself as hard as possible in the nuts just to help someone else I think by that point you have a problem.
That's basically what I meant by Taichi being insane.

I don't think that his selflessness, per se, is a problem. I mean, it's not a problem that he wants to play "white knight", and is willing to make some sacrifices for others.

But I don't know if he cares enough about just his basic well-being.

The fact that he's a serious pro wrestling fan adds an interesting wrinkle here. A lot of pro wrestlers absolutely destroy their bodies in attempts to be as entertaining as possible for the fans (Mick Foley is a particularly notable example of this).

Imagine a scenario where Taichi really puts his body on the line to save another person, and while he's doing so... body-switch. It could be very interesting, and have quite a dramatic fallout.

Also, I like Sackett's idea about a potential Inaba/Taichi/Iori love triangle. The hints are there. You could even interpret Inaba's actions as her ironically being selfless - Her pushing Taichi towards Iori as Inaba doesn't want to cause any pain for her friend Iori.
Old 2012-07-22, 19:27   Link #420
AmeNoJaku
Franco's Phalanx is next!

Maybe Taichi is a masochist and just invokes altruism as a cover for his dirty little secret
AmeNoJaku is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
body swapping, comedy, drama, romance, shounen, slice of life