AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

Old 2009-02-19, 15:01   Link #1661
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash_Hunter View Post
It was Ohnogiīs decision, in another interview in the Macross radio Show, Kawamori said that when Ohnogi send the script of episode 20 for revision Ohnogi told Kawamori that he had just wrote a scene that would certainly cause a huge reaction from fans.

Then after Kawamori read the script he said that in his opinion "that was the saddest scene that he had read in his career."

Kawamori commented the script with the entire production staff, and their opinion was that they didnīt want to kill Mikhai even Risa Ebata and Yasuhito Kikuchi tried to convince Kawamori to change the scene but Kawamori trusted Ohnogi and didnīt make changes.
Thanks, Dash Hunter.

And then, Kawamori screwed up the whole reason why Michael had to die, because in the end he did not show Alto making the final decision ( at least unambiguously on-screen, but letīs not get into that argument, I just had three days of discussion about that with Natsu. ^^ ). In my opinion, at least.

I mean, it seemed pretty obvious to me that Michael had to die, so that Alto would make a decision in regard to the girls. It came across pretty clearly when Klan was making her speech to Michael, before she kissed him.
Old 2009-02-20, 04:53   Link #1662
pinoy78
Yahk, DECULTURE!

Satelight wants feedback from its fans.

1. Pick your three favorite episodes.
2. Pick your favorite male and female character.

http://www.satelight.co.jp/animefair/vote.html
pinoy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-20, 06:27   Link #1663
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Some help with the rune language would be appreciated.

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-20, 06:33   Link #1664
Natsuki Hyuga
(☞゚∀゚)☞ロンパアアアア!! 

Send a message via MSN to Natsuki Hyuga
First section is voting for your favourite episodes of all Macross F Episodes. Maximum of 3 choices there.

The box under the first section is used for commenting about your favourite scene. (I think you can skip that part-I filled that up anyway.)

Second part on the left is "Mister Macross", or the voting for best male character in Macross F.

Second part on the right is "Miss Macross" Voting. Isn't the name already obvious enough? XD

You can only vote for one male/female character in Miss/Mister sections.

Click 送信する after you have finished choosing your votes, then choose the choice with ">>..." to complete the voting.

Does that help?

Top 3 of the votes for the episodes would be announced in TAF (Tokyo International Anime Fair) while the winner of Miss and Mister Macross would be MADE INTO A LIFE-SIZED PANEL PICTURE IN SATELLITE BOOTH IN TAF! Ooh! You can also take photograph of/with the panel later!

Natsuki Hyuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-20, 06:43   Link #1665
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Well, the episodes I can manage to identify (they have numbers, after all), but what about the characters?

Old 2009-02-20, 06:52   Link #1666
Natsuki Hyuga
(☞゚∀゚)☞ロンパアアアア!! 

Here goes...

Order of Male Characters:

1. Alto Saotome
2. Michael Blanc
3. Luca Angeloni
4. Ozma Lee
5. Henry Gilliam
6. Howard Glass
7. Leon Mishima
8. Geoffrey Wilder
9. Brera Sterne
10. Elmo Kridanik

Order of female characters

1. Ranka Lee
2. Sheryl Nome
3. Matsuura Nanase
4. Catherine Glass
5. Monika Lang
6. Meena Roshan
7. Ram Hoa
8. Grace O' Conner
9. Canaria Belstain
10. Klan Klan (Kuran Kuran... WHATEVER HER OFFICIAL NAME IS )
11. Nene Nora
12. Raramia Lelenia
13. BOBBY MARGOT ()
14. ALTO SAOTOME

Actually you can click the text for link of character picture

Old 2009-02-20, 06:56   Link #1667
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Holy shit! That made me ROFL!
Alto's in both categories...

Thanks, Natsu. You're not so ebil as you claim.

Edit ADD: The poor sucker here hadn't noticed the hyper-links for all the characters and episodes...

And what's at the "Thanks" page?

Old 2009-02-20, 07:11   Link #1668
Natsuki Hyuga
(☞゚∀゚)☞ロンパアアアア!! 

?_? Which "Thanks" page? The one that is generated after you finished voting? Nothing much but "please come and visit our booth" thingy...

Also HOLY--! Macross F 222 (Nyan-Nyan-Nyan) Launching ceremony celebration?! D:

And I don't have much time and kanji knowledge to translate this, but it seems an official fanbook would be released on April soon... Promotions there!

Last edited by Natsuki Hyuga; 2009-02-20 at 07:36. Reason: LOL booth becomes "boot" rz
Old 2009-02-20, 07:31   Link #1669
CaptGloval
New Macross soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsuki Hyuga View Post
Here goes...

Order of Male Characters:

1. Alto Saotome
2. Michael Blanc
3. Luca Angeloni
4. Ozma Lee
5. Henry Gilliam
6. Howard Glass
7. Leon Mishima
8. Geoffrey Wilder
9. Brera Sterne
10. Elmo Kridanik

Order of female characters

1. Ranka Lee
2. Sheryl Nome
3. Matsuura Nanase
4. Catherine Glass
5. Monika Lang
6. Meena Roshan
7. Ram Hoa
8. Grace O' Conner
9. Canaria Belstain
10. Klan Klan (Kuran Kuran... WHATEVER HER OFFICIAL NAME IS )
11. Nene Nora
12. Raramia Lelenia
13. BOBBY MARGOT ()
14. ALTO SAOTOME

Actually you can click the text for link of character picture
LOL I felt like trolling by choosing Alto for both... but nah, I'm too kind.
CaptGloval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-20, 07:32   Link #1670
raile
Retired Toaster
*Author

Alto in both categories is just win! XD

Quote:
OMG. Sheryl and Minmay are hot! *Nosebleed*
Old 2009-02-20, 07:50   Link #1671
magnuskn

Quote:
Top 3 of the votes for the episodes would be announced in TAF (Tokyo International Anime Fair) while the winner of Miss and Mister Macross would be MADE INTO A LIFE-SIZED PANEL PICTURE IN SATELLITE BOOTH IN TAF! Ooh! You can also take photograph of/with the panel later!
Wut? SHERYL X ALTO ARMY... mount UP!!!

I already voted, and couldnīt resist to leave a comment supporting Sheryl X Alto ... in English. I hope that doesnīt disqualify me automatically. ^^

I voted for episode 5, 22 and 23... those had the best Sheryl X Alto scenes after all. ^^ Iīd have liked to vote for 6 and 24, too, but since we only have three votes...
Old 2009-02-20, 08:30   Link #1672
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post

I already voted, and couldnīt resist to leave a comment supporting Sheryl X Alto ... in English. I hope that doesnīt disqualify me automatically. ^^
Why? Do it in German, they like you more. I don't want people to think that only Yanks (aside from the obvious East-Asians) are watching the show overseas!

- Tak (Shoot, I did mine in Latin!)

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-20, 08:44   Link #1673
Natsuki Hyuga
(☞゚∀゚)☞ロンパアアアア!! 

... You know Takky, I hate you for appearing at the wrong time, after I pretty much fatigued after translating the infos >.>; WHY MUST YOU KILL MEIN BRAIN BY NOT TRANSLATING THE JAPANESE LANGUAGE?! D:

Old 2009-02-20, 09:03   Link #1674
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Why? Do it in German, they like you more. I don't want people to think that only Yanks (aside from the obvious East-Asians) are watching the show overseas!

- Tak (Shoot, I did mine in Latin!)
Well, I thought writing in English would be more likely to be understood over there. I did note however that I was writing from Germany.
Old 2009-02-20, 09:04   Link #1675
Tak

Quote:
... You know Takky, I hate you for appearing at the wrong time, after I pretty much fatigued after translating the infos >.>; WHY MUST YOU KILL MEIN BRAIN BY NOT TRANSLATING THE JAPANESE LANGUAGE?! D:
Because you didn't call.

- Tak (I am always on standby, for you)

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2009-02-20, 09:28   Link #1676
Natsuki Hyuga
(☞゚∀゚)☞ロンパアアアア!! 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
- Tak (I am always on standby, for you)
... Am I thinking that statement can be used by "certain someone" delusional shipping fodder? D:

And you'll not translate it if the info is only a trivial info! D: *smacks Takky to go to Image Thread to do translation. NAO!*

Old 2009-02-20, 12:34   Link #1677
zalem

Quote:

I already voted, and couldnīt resist to leave a comment supporting Sheryl X Alto ...
Alas, for the mister macross I voted Michel. I really don't like Alto. I did vote for Sheryl though. Maybe I should have voted Michel/Klan so they could get the life size panel together. Alto will probably win anyway though, from all the magazine polls he seems to be the most popular among the male characters for some weird reason.
Old 2009-02-20, 21:13   Link #1678
magnuskn

I have gotten permission to translate and post the liner notes for the episodes of Macross Frontier. Shaloom from the Spanish language Macross Generation did those, so all credit goes to him.

Hereīs a little preview, Iīll begin translating the interesting things tomorrow. Itīs really a bit much material to translate completely.

A few things:

- Many interactions between Sheryl, Alto and Ranka were homages to the Macross light novels, written by Ohnogi. The really interesting part? Basically always when that happened, Sheryl was the stand-in for Misa and Ranka for Minmay. Link Link Link Link Link

- Altos last name is a homage to Ranma 1/2 Link

- The scene between Monica and Captain Wilder in episode 14 is a homenage to Hirochi Ohnogi and his wife Yuki Kinoshita, who got together in a somewhat similar fashion. Link

Thereīs more stuff, but as I said, tons of material. I was really surprised how many references to past materials were put into the series, much more than we ourselves realized. More info is coming over the weekend to you. ^^

Please try to keep this stuff here on this forum. If anybody takes this anywhere, which I do not hope, then, for Gods sake, please attribute this to Shaloom on the Macross Generation forums and include the links. They are very touchy about this over there. We do not want this source to dry up, because some people were behaving like dinks. [/B]
Old 2009-02-21, 03:50   Link #1679
Tak

Quote:
The scene between Monica and Captain Wilder in episode 14 is a homenage to Hirochi Ohnogi and his wife Yuki Kinoshita, who got together in a somewhat similar fashion.
I somehow find myself relating more to fictional romances written by a married family man than one from a single, 49 year old hippie who never had a girlfriend in his entire life (and who is still high... on something).

- Tak

Old 2009-02-21, 08:19   Link #1680
magnuskn

For the first episodes, I wonīt be going into too much detail, because the liner notes were not that exhaustive. Later episodes get much more detail from Shaloom.

Here goes:

All credit goes to Shaloom from the Macross Generation forum. http://www.http://macrossgeneration....ex.php?act=idx

Episodes 1 - 3
( Link Link Link :

- Ranka shows signs of disassociative amnesia as soon as she enters the shelter. A particularity of that sickness is that under great pressure, control of ones limbs is lost, as is the case for Rankas hands.

- The place where Alto and Ranka encounter each other, looks like the Griffith Observatory in Los Angeles.

Episode 4: Link :

- Rankas valkyrie backpack is based on a design by the Macross Attack Team, and was proposed to be a product to be on sale in 1982, but wasnīt put into production.

- The girl who wins the Miss Macross contest, Miranda Melin, has the same last name as the actress who participated in the first Miss Macross contest, but who lost to Minmay.

- Alto, when taking off with his valkyrie for his qualifying mission, has the same dialogue as Hikaru in DYRL.

- Rankas hand movements during her interpretation of "My boyfriend is a pilot" are the same ones as Minmays, when she debuted the song in the original TV series.

Episode 5 Link :

- Sheryls line "Donīt you like being with me?" to Alto in the locker room is the same as the one Minmay utters in DYRL, when Ikaru comes to meet her in the park in disguise. The intonation was exactly in the same tone as uttered by Mari Iijima.

- The amulet Alto is always wearing is a "o-mamori" amulet, which is supposed to protect the heart from bad ( emotional ) influences. As Alto is an onnagata actor, it is believed that for him to show his best interpretation of innocence and an easy-going personality, which are characteristic of princess, his heart must be well protected against violence and the corruption of his innocence.
In the same scene where Sheryl takes his amulet and hides it in her bust, it is a clear reference to a shinto "emmusubi" ( of lovers ) festival, where a woman takes the amulet of a man who interests her. She guards it in her heart, so the man stays "protected" with the love of the girl who loves him. More information here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omamori

- Elmo has the same last name as Vlritwhai, which is Kridanik.

- During the song "What about my star", sung by Ranka, you can see the guitar of Basara, which is a slighty modified Stratocaster from Fender.

- The Zentraedi products in the mall have the word "price" on the price tags, written in Zentraedi.

Episode 6 Link :

- Elmos Vector Promotions is a parody of Victor Music Promotions, who casted Megumi Nakajima.

- Elmos card has the DYRL versión of Lynn Minmays silhouette on it.

- In Ozmas house are a pair of Tanuki, which represent the protection and good luck of the house. They are discreetly censured, as they normally display, uh, certain exaggerated characteristics.

- Macross Quarter was designed by Kazutaka Miyatake, who created the SDF-1 in 1982.

Episode 7 Link :

- Kawamori did the storyboard for this episode. The last time he did that was for episode 4 of Macross Plus.

Sorry, not much of interest in this episode.... mostly stuff about who designed what, etc.

Episode 8 Link :

- The plot of Sheryl searching for her panties and her subsequent rescue by Alto is a reference to the most difficult to reach ending of the hard to find dating sim "Super Dimensional Fortress Macross Love Stories".

The liner notes were very brief for this episode. ^^

Episode 9 Link :

- The miclonization chamber in this episode does its job much faster than the ones in the original series. What before took between four to five hours, now only takes a few minutes.

- The conversation between Michael and Klan, while Michael is practicing his sniping skills, is a subtle reference to one of the missions in the dating sim "Super Dimensional Fortress Macross Love Stories", where your mission is to "get with" a Zentradi girl. Obviously, Michael gets the worst possible outcome of that mission, a slap.

- Megumi Nakajima did a similar promotion of her single Neko Nikki in Akihabara as Ranka did in this episode, only in real life. Apparently, yes, with cat costume.

- The zone where Ranka is giving away her single to passer-bys is similar to the economic zone of the centre of Tokyo. She is in the entrance of the Bandai Visual building.

Episode 10 Link :

- The storyboards for this episode were done by Takao Abo, who was assistant to Dai Ota ( who did the storyboards for Macross Zero ).

- Megumi Nakajima was helped out by Yuuka Nanri ( the VA for Mao Nome in Macross Zero ), so that her lines would sound as accurate to Maos pronunciation as possible.

- The booklet "Tori no Hito" ( Bird Man ), which Ranka has when she obtains a role in the movie, is in reality the storyboard of OVA 5 of Macross Zero, of the same name. It even has the same illustration as the DVD.

- On the table at which the director and his two helpers sit, you can see the drink "Apple Genki", which got famous in Macross Zero.

- The actress "Yuu-chan", who originally is slated to play Mao, but gets driven off the road by the Hydra, makes reference to Yuuka Nanri, who originally portrayed Mao Nome in Macross Zero.

- The scene where we can see the marquee of the film on various buildings, is a replica ( with slight differences ) of the "Palazzo del Cinema" of Venice, Italy. Host of the International Movie Festival of Venice, the oldest movie festival in the world.

- When the director of the film take Rankas hand and she steps up the stairs, it is an homenage to a scene in the Super Dimension Fortress Macross novels, written by Sukehiro Tomita.

- In said novels, the director of the film Shao Pai Long also takes the hand of Minmay and says the same lines as the director in Macross Frontier. Tomita makes an analogy to the steps of Minmay "climbing the steps of fame". The cinema audience then gives thunderous applause and Hikaru Ichijo finalizes the chapter by saying "Congratulations, Minmay".

Episode 11 Link :

- When Alto and Yasaburo are in the lift, you can observe the replica of the Financial Centre of Tokyo, specifically the building "Tocho". Also a view of the bay of Yokohama.

- When Alto has his date with Sheryl on the observation deck, Sheryl surprises him from behind and he reacts in a particular manner. This reaction is a homage or gag about a typical scene in Ranma 1/2.

- Risa Ebata ( the designer of Sheryl and Alto ) commented on Megumi Nakajimas radio program that she is a great admirer of that manga and anime. She asked the director for the opportunity to include said gag, as she not only took the last name of Saotome from Ranma, but also made subtle reference to his masculine / feminine duality ( as Alto is an onnagata and is always confused with a woman ).

- In the manga and anime, as well Akane Tendo as numerous other "promised ones" of Ranma always surprise him from behind and he reacts in the way which Alto did. It is curious that Ranma, when he gets surprised this way, is always in the form of a woman.

- The dialogue Yasaburo recites about "the dream and the man", while he is thinking about Altos dreams, is a quote of the philosoph Matsuo Munefusa, better known as Matsuo Basho. The most important poet of the Tokugawa shogunate.

- The scene of Sheryl and Alto flying to Gallia 4 makes reference to the episode "Goodbye Girl" of the Macross TV series, where Misa parts for Earth, escorted by Hikaru.

- The scene with Ranka and her cookies seeing the fold in the distance makes reference to a short story. It is in the collection of shorts "Studio Nue Entertainment Bible", called "Today I wanted to give you...." In it, Minmay wanted to give Hikaru an autographed record of hers, for his birthday, but Hikaru has to escort Misa back to earth and canīt go on the date with Minmay. He sends Max Jenius in his stead.

That is enough for the moment, Iīll come back later with more liner notes.

As always, please keep this on this forum. If you canīt be bothered to be responsible about this, then at least link back to the Macross Generation forum and credit Shaloom for all his work.

Tags
action, romance