AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2003-12-07, 13:47   Link #1
Shift_

Ai Yori Aoshi manga discussion

I'm getting VERY conficted answers here...but I was told from start to finish that the AYA manga is 11 volumes long.

Other people tell me that's it is still going, and others say it's 12 volumes.

I cannot find anything on the internet except for 11 volumes. Even Tokyopop says it's 11.
Old 2003-12-07, 18:11   Link #2
Maveric
Aimai 3 cm

Send a message via AIM to Maveric
Tokyopop says there are 11 volumes, and that they were originally published starting in 1995. Since 11 volumes in 8 years seems a little extreme, I believe that the manga has finished it's run.

Kinda wonder why they only have listings for 9 volumes on their site though...
Old 2003-12-08, 02:18   Link #3
Ookla The Mok

Nope, volume 12 just came out within the last month. I saw it in the bookstore a few days ago. The manga is still running in Young Animal every month. Also flipped through the most recent issue of that in the bookstore.
Old 2003-12-08, 02:27   Link #4
Maveric
Aimai 3 cm

Whelp, I guess that answers your question then!

*wishes he lived in Japan*
Old 2003-12-08, 02:56   Link #5
Shift_

Are you serious? So it ISN'T finished? Damnit Karou and Aoi have to get hitched already ><
Old 2003-12-08, 23:45   Link #6
Maveric
Aimai 3 cm

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Small One
At the end of the first anime Kaoru and Aoi already slept together...
Uhh, if you are refering to the part in episode 4 where Aoi gets into Kaoru's bed to keep him warm when he had a cold, I'd say yes.

If you are refering to when they were at that house way near the end, I'd say no. I don't think they had sex. The rest of the show was so fanservicy (not that that's a bad thing ) that they would have at least implied it a bit heavier.
Old 2003-12-09, 00:39   Link #7
Shift_

Acctually At the end of the 1st anime Aoi and Karou sleep together, but not sleep as in have sex with eachtother together, as in most asian cultures that would be deemed bad, evil, inapproperiate, espically for aoi as she comes from a VERY traditional family, and honour is almost everything, although due to western influence (which can be good and bad) it's slowly changing.

The anime follows the manga VERY VERY closely. The published volumes however, are QUITE behind the manga published in Young Animal, apparently Young Animal is like on volume 20 something or maybe even 30 something....according to someone in japan. However the printed version of Volume 13 should be out spring or something like that.

From sources in japan, for some WIERD reason the published volumes come 4 years AFTER it's been published in young animal.

Quoted from another forum
----------------------------
From Hakusensha's online store, Ai Yori Aoshi comic list and release dates:

Vol 1 - 1999/05/28
Vol 2 - 1999/12/17
Vol 3 - 2000/05/29
Vol 4 - 2000/10/27
Vol 5 - 2001/03/29
Vol 6 - 2001/07/27
Vol 7 - 2001/11/29
Vol 8 - 2002/03/29
Vol 9 - 2002/07/29
Vol 10 - 2002/11/29
Vol 11 - 2003/05/29
Vol 12 - 2003/11/28

Vol 13 (preview page at end of 12) - 2004 (will guess late spring-ish)

As for the orignal release dates in Young Animal, I can't confirm that, but it seems strange that the graphic novels would have been released 4 years after the first release in Young Animal. But I thought I would clear this up.
-------------------------------------
Old 2003-12-09, 03:06   Link #8
bluemist
i am the mist

Young Animal is the 'magazine' where AYA is running right? Just making sure... cause it's indeed weird for the graphic novels to be soooo behind like that. Maybe it's not selling well?
Old 2003-12-09, 03:17   Link #9
Ookla The Mok

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemist
Young Animal is the 'magazine' where AYA is running right? Just making sure... cause it's indeed weird for the graphic novels to be soooo behind like that. Maybe it's not selling well?
Um, next time I'm at the store I'll check the chapter numbers in YA and in volume 12. That does sound really odd. I don't think the other YA series (Berserk, etc. I said Hellsing but now that I think about that, I think that's a Young King series) would be that far behind like that... It just doesn't make good business sense. With weekly mangas the magazine is often 4 volumes ahead of the tankobons, but I think the margin would be a little smaller than that for monthlies.
Old 2003-12-09, 03:56   Link #10
Setonai

Average amount of volumes compare to things like Ranma
that will take 4 ever
Old 2003-12-09, 12:05   Link #11
Shift_

Quote:
I'm pretty sure they had sex. The way they look at each other the next day implies some sort of "now nobody can divide us anymore", and actually the whole series was something like "going against the will of the family".
and I'm 100% sure they didn't, you CAN'T look at it from an Westerner's Point of view, because this takes place IN japan WITH a VERY VERY powerful and TRADITIONAL eastern family. You DON'T do things like that, she wouldn't, Karou wouldn't, why? Because family would disown her, throw her away like trash, because she would be a stain on the family's name.

Where is all this comming from? Because my family seems to be more traditional than other Chinese families here, but that's how it would be if I was in china or taiwan.
Old 2003-12-10, 19:00   Link #12
Shift_

Quote:
Well, isn't that what they want? To get her free from her father which wants her to leave him?
no...they want to get married with Aoi's family's approval...

Scandals are BAD in Asia, unlike in North America, Scandals go down with your family name, espically amongst traditional families.

But yea I found out that Young Animal is on volume like 20...and no conclusion in sight...*sigh*
Old 2003-12-20, 10:13   Link #13
Ookla The Mok

OKAY... I finally got a chance to look in Young Animal (December's was sold out last time I went).

The current chapter in January 2004's issue is chapter 108.

Volume 12 ends with chapter 102.

So whoever told you there were enough chapters to get to volume 20 was smoking something.
Old 2003-12-24, 22:20   Link #14
condi
Jonny-san

Send a message via MSN to condi
AYA enishi

what about this sequal?

I'm just wondering which chapter the anime is right now..
Old 2004-02-03, 16:29   Link #15
Kensuke

I just finished the first volume , and I have to say that I liked it. Anime is very similar to the manga, but their drawning styles are different, and it take me some time to get used to it. But Aoi is cute as ever.

Also positive side is that they used original honorifics like -chan and -sama, and also included a small glossary of different terms used in manga and information about kimonos, since AYA is very traditional series and if they have tried to "westernize" it, it would have ruined the entire manga.

I would have loved to see those omakes in anime, "Ai-Ao Theatre" of Aoi and Miyabi is like omakes in Kimi ga Nozomu Eien.
Old 2004-02-03, 16:49   Link #16
7thMethuselah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensuke
I just finished the first volume , and I have to say that I liked it. Anime is very similar to the manga, but their drawning styles are different, and it take me some time to get used to it. But Aoi is cute as ever.

Also positive side is that they used original honorifics like -chan and -sama, and also included a small glossary of different terms used in manga and information about kimonos, since AYA is very traditional series and if they have tried to "westernize" it, it would have ruined the entire manga.

I would have loved to see those omakes in anime, "Ai-Ao Theatre" of Aoi and Miyabi is like omakes in Kimi ga Nozomu Eien.
I just got the first volume also and I was pleasantly surprised as well. I was never bothered by the drawing style however ... I can't wait for the 2nd volume to be released (which is in march/april I believe).
Old 2004-02-03, 17:05   Link #17
Kensuke

I ordered it from Archonia (online store located in Belgium ) and according to their website vol. 2 will be released March 17. and vol. 3 May 12.
Old 2004-03-24, 13:58   Link #18
7thMethuselah

I just got me the second volume from Tokyopop. In this manga the story really gets going as Tina gets introduced (you gotta love that wacko chick). It's safe tp say this manga isn't really suited for minors since it has quite alot of nudity but i guess we could expect a thing like that As before the manga and anime are very alike, same stories and settings, cool characters etc... If you haven't seen/read any of this I'd recommend you try it out (anime is licensed btw)
Old 2004-03-25, 02:07   Link #19
kanazuchi

Send a message via AIM to kanazuchi
nevermind, why the hell cant I delete my post?
Old 2004-03-25, 07:03   Link #20
7thMethuselah

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanazuchi
nevermind, why the hell cant I delete my post?
only mods can do that, just pm one to delete it...
Closed Thread

Tags
harem, romance