AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2013-09-07, 22:32   Link #621
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

@Pocari: I admitted, Code Geass does have a lot of holes in it. But what could you expect from an Anime that twisted everything? Senseless, yes, but not a comedy. More like a Romanized Sarcasm Laught. The character is just another could-be-products of our rotten world.
Fireminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-07, 22:32   Link #622
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuelGundam2099 View Post
When first episodes air nowadays the opening theme is not present in the beginning and is shoved into where the ending theme is. Question: Where did this start?
I'm not sure when it started, but I think the reason for this is to be a bit more "cinematic" in the opening episode. It makes the opening episode seem more like a prologue, and the Opening Theme is the culmination, as if "he's what you have to look forward to; stay tuned". Of course, it also means that the production team has one extra week to finish the ED.

Personally, I like it when anime mess with the timing and placement of the OP/ED, and place them where it flows best in the episodes. Having the OP/ED in the same place week after week is boring, and I'm the sort of person who doesn't prefer to skip them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireminer View Post
@Pocari: [...]
Note that you just replied to a post from three months ago.
Old 2013-09-07, 23:51   Link #623
KanbeKotori
失礼、噛みました

Quote:
Originally Posted by judasmartel View Post
I know you would say that. I only wish people just stop flaunting how shallow they are.

I'm not talking about you of course. If you like thin MC's, that's fine. I like thin MC's, too. What I don't like is too perfect MC's with flaws that do not affect him whatsoever.
I think it's not that but more of how people are already accustomed to your "typical" MC traits. Once they see something out of the norms, they just cannot accept it(which is one reason why so many people hate AW, and hence show that they are very shallow). I got sick and tired of people commenting "Eww...the MC is short and fat, I'm dropping the anime". There must be a reason why the MC is created that way and they don't even bother finding out why by watching the anime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
Well, it's a criticism against Accel World that is valid but completely overplayed. I'd think people would get over it after a bit but hey.
I don't really think it's valid. The story of AW did end up explain why was he designed like that. Imagine your typical MC instead of him. The story wouldn't have flow well.

Note: I know I'm replying to people who have posted months ago but it's okay. I just felt compelled to reply them.
Old 2013-09-08, 04:14   Link #624
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
I'm not sure when it started, but I think the reason for this is to be a bit more "cinematic" in the opening episode. It makes the opening episode seem more like a prologue, and the Opening Theme is the culmination, as if "he's what you have to look forward to; stay tuned". Of course, it also means that the production team has one extra week to finish the ED.

Personally, I like it when anime mess with the timing and placement of the OP/ED, and place them where it flows best in the episodes. Having the OP/ED in the same place week after week is boring, and I'm the sort of person who doesn't prefer to skip them.

Note that you just replied to a post from three months ago.

Also some stories has spoiler type material in the openning theme animation and the directors want to sae it an episode or two until whatever it is is shown, then show the OP as normal.

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 did this with the first two episodes because the title ship doesn't launch until episode two and that sequence is in the OP. So they didn't want to show it until after it happened. So the ED for the first episode was the normal ED while that of the second episode was the OP. On episode three it returned to normal. Aside from episode 20 which was 3 minutes longer and they had to cut the OP for time.
Old 2013-09-08, 11:17   Link #625
DuelGundam2099
Disabled By Request

Quote:
That is kind of the point of themes, to let us know when something starts or ends.
DuelGundam2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-08, 12:41   Link #626
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuelGundam2099 View Post
That is kind of the point of themes, to let us know when something starts or ends.
That's one way of looking at it, but if you look at movies, it isn't always the case that the title credits play right at the start -- sometimes they do, sometimes they don't (they particularly don't if the movie has a cold open). And if you look at non-anime TV shows, not all of them even have "opening themes" at all -- sometimes just a very quick title call, and they're usually after the teaser (which could be 5 or more minutes long). They do serve a purpose and send signals to the viewer, but I appreciate a director who knows how to bend/break the rules when it adds extra impact -- in other words, when they treat the credits like a part of the show, and not just obligatory bookends.

Of course, it's just a preference either way.

(I can tell you another thing I like that you may hate for a similar reason: when the episode title is shown at the end of an episode as a sum-up, instead of at the beginning as a precursor/identifier. If it's done properly, it can make the title that much more meaningful.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Also some stories has spoiler type material in the openning theme animation and the directors want to sae it an episode or two until whatever it is is shown, then show the OP as normal.
Yeah, this is true -- particularly if the show has a particular "hook" that doesn't get revealed until a little ways into it. The most famous example of this that I could think of would be Kimi ga Nozomu Eien; there's an extremely good reason why the OP animation didn't start until Episode 3. But there are a ton of other examples too, of course.
Old 2013-09-08, 13:04   Link #627
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by KanbeKotori View Post
I don't really think it's valid. The story of AW did end up explain why was he designed like that. Imagine your typical MC instead of him. The story wouldn't have flow well.
Sure, but it's not just either "typical MC" or Haru. There's a lot of things in between and even if the anime wants to portray him as a over the top loser, they could have made him look like that without going for the Cartman approach that looks out of place for the rest of the story.

It's a stylistic choice that decides to prioritize emphasis and that is subject to disagreement. I understand the choice, but I'm not the only one that noted that the story had to hammer in this thing about Haru. Then again I wouldn't blame the studio too much, from what I've viewed of the writer's adaptations, the stories are about as subtle as a piano being thrown out of a building.

At least it's not SAO, though. Accel World is actually good to me though little of it has to do with Haru, lol.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-08, 14:08   Link #628
Echoes

Quote:
(I can tell you another thing I like that you may hate for a similar reason: when the episode title is shown at the end of an episode as a sum-up, instead of at the beginning as a precursor/identifier. If it's done properly, it can make the title that much more meaningful.)
I also like that device, it can really leave an impact when it's used in the right show.

Sort of related to that topic, I think Shin Sekai Yori was really effective in its choice to omit an opening theme altogether and skip straight to narration/action at the beginning of each episode. I didn't even think about it at first, but I really started appreciation the choice as the series progressed, and now I can't imagine it being done differently.
Old 2013-09-08, 16:30   Link #629
scineram

Twins. Japan has no clue whatsoever about twins. Maybe they are confusing because the japanese all look the same anyway, but still.
scineram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-08, 16:50   Link #630
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
From what I've seen of twins in anime, they seem to just go by the old standard of being mirror images of each other, with nigh-identical personalities. Which does reflect some real life twins, of course, as some twins are identical twins.

I don't think anime is any significantly better or worse here than fiction in general is.

Mind you, as the older brother of two sisters that are twins (to each other), and those two sisters being very different in appearance and mannerisms from each other, I've always found it funny how you rarely see twins like my two sisters in fiction.
Old 2013-09-08, 17:11   Link #631
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Mind you, as the older brother of two sisters that are twins (to each other), and those two sisters being very different in appearance and mannerisms from each other, I've always found it funny how you rarely see twins like my two sisters in fiction.
Well, I think that's mostly because at that point there's no real functional difference from any other siblings, unless you make it a special plot point for some reason. What seems to be more fun as a plot point is when the twins look similar but have opposing personalities (like the Hiiragi twins (Lucky Star) -- who are fraternal, but still look similar enough so you can tell).
Old 2013-09-08, 17:27   Link #632
scineram

My gripe has nothing to do with personalities actually. Just the looks and the voices.
scineram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-14, 07:24   Link #633
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
One of the worst cases of spoiler ops was the 2nd op of valkyria chronicles anime.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-14, 13:07   Link #634
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocari_Sweat View Post
One of the worst cases of spoiler ops was the 2nd op of valkyria chronicles anime.
But, as with all such cases, it was made worse by the fact that game players were going OMG LOOK AT ALL THE SPOILERS IN THAT OP. Source readers/viewers always tend to over-estimate the amount that other people will pay attention to and notice the little things (or even big things) that are obvious to them since they know the source, and it's only when it's pointed out that unexposed people now give it a second look now that they know it's suspicious. (Granted that perhaps in this case it was a bit more blatant than others, but I still wish source readers/viewers would keep their mouths shut in these sorts of cases.)
Old 2013-09-14, 19:42   Link #635
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Oh, one more thing I hate: Yandere! While they could be fun sometime, what they have got is clearly no love!
Old 2013-09-18, 18:34   Link #636
peskylemur25

I dislike how some anime change from there manga and make the main idea of the story become totally different.
peskylemur25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-18, 18:47   Link #637
EscapeReality

An unextraordinary person encounters some epic event that changes his/her life forever. This just gives me false hope.
EscapeReality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-19, 09:49   Link #638
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
But, as with all such cases, it was made worse by the fact that game players were going OMG LOOK AT ALL THE SPOILERS IN THAT OP. Source readers/viewers always tend to over-estimate the amount that other people will pay attention to and notice the little things (or even big things) that are obvious to them since they know the source, and it's only when it's pointed out that unexposed people now give it a second look now that they know it's suspicious. (Granted that perhaps in this case it was a bit more blatant than others, but I still wish source readers/viewers would keep their mouths shut in these sorts of cases.)
This isn't limited to west side fandom either, every other anime there's slew of I-read-the-original-woopiedoo fans in Japanese threads that jump up and down excitedly screaming SPOILERS! OP IS SPOILER GALORE! TOO MUCH REVELATION!

Without stopping to think, without CONTEXT they're just random imagery that, for the most part, does not give anything away to the virgin viewers. *sigh*

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeReality View Post
An unextraordinary person encounters some epic event that changes his/her life forever. This just gives me false hope.
Might as well give up on half the fiction out there all together.
EDIT: Oh lol, did not notice your username. IRONY MUCH? Ahaha.
Old 2013-09-19, 14:21   Link #639
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Fate of the world decided solely by the protagonist. For example, the One Year War was not won just by the Gundam or White Base crew, but by the whole ESF army.
Old 2013-09-19, 18:39   Link #640
EscapeReality

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
Might as well give up on half the fiction out there all together.
EDIT: Oh lol, did not notice your username. IRONY MUCH? Ahaha.
I only said that I hate it, not that I would give up on it. I love this aspect as much as I hate it - I love it because it gives me the power to "escape reality", a way to counteract everyday boredom, because sometimes I can forget that all this is make-believe, but I hate it when I realize that these spectacular things are what I inevitably cannot experience. I don't see irony.

Another thing I find needs some change - girls with incredibly low weights, and it's extremely prevalent. I understand that it is meant to make the female protagonists attractive, but the writers could really create a more diverse cast.

Last edited by EscapeReality; 2013-09-19 at 20:06.
EscapeReality is offline   Reply With Quote