AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > K-On!

Notices

Old 2010-04-20, 18:51   Link #261
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy Lechance View Post
Simple, look for the person who's always huggin onto her.
Sorry but I'll have to represent Mio-chan's fanclub on this one and place her as the most cute and talented on the show.
Old 2010-04-20, 20:52   Link #262
GreatTeacherKen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
hmmm, thread decay double post: An interesting review of K-On! that seemed to hit some notes I've also noticed that many naysayers seem to miss.

http://www.japanator.com/is-k-on-empty--14327.phtml
This was quite a fascinating article, certainly the most interesting one I've read about K-ON!. I think I see the show in a new light now.
GreatTeacherKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-21, 04:49   Link #263
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogie View Post
is it just me or does yui act a lot more dumb and clueless in this season than in the first.
We're only 3 episodes into the new season. I'd like to preserve proper judgment till the season is over with.

Right now, I don't really see much of a difference. I even think she's grown up a little bit. However, she's still quite forgetful and childish at heart and I think she won't outgrow that anytime soon.
Lord of Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-22, 06:14   Link #264
krko
The Movie is Coming

How many concert episodes will we be getting? Based purely on episode count I'd expect 6, since this has twice the episodes of season 1. But...

Spoiler for manga:
krko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-22, 12:40   Link #265
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Because of the extra cost of doing a proper concert (or music video)... any would have to be keyed directly to a "show stopping" single that they expect to do well in the Japan record charts to pay for it.
Old 2010-04-23, 16:33   Link #266
Sparvid
*hic*

Interesting that three episodes in, there's been not a single appearance of this or that. Maybe they try to keep it (relatively) less over the top. So far in the second season, Mio's reactions reminds me of the way it was done in the Live House episode, where she was standing in the back, quivering slightly. Much more subtle than usually done in the first season.

Also, here's hoping that 20+ episodes means that pretty much every character gets a episode focusing on them, with at least some slight development.
Old 2010-04-29, 11:29   Link #267
Velsy

Hey, I wanted to ask, if the K-On band has improved and is or is almost as good as the band in Angel Beats musical wise. It may give me some motivation to watch this 2nd series.

How they doing so far ? Less tea parties and more musical focused ? Or is it pretty much the same as the first series ?

Donated by Om Nerabdator
Velsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-29, 11:50   Link #268
DJLowrider
Ahou ga

K-ON!! is slice-of-life about a bunch of high school girls who happen to be in a band together. Music is a part of their lives, but it isn't their entire lives. So I doubt you'd be much interested in this second season.
DJLowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-29, 11:52   Link #269
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJLowrider View Post
K-ON!! is slice-of-life about a bunch of high school girls who happen to be in a band together. Music is a part of their lives, but it isn't their entire lives. So I doubt you'd be much interested in this second season.
It is still music. They bring their antics wherever they go. Plus they are cute (with Azunyan being the cutest of them all).

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-29, 11:54   Link #270
DJLowrider
Ahou ga

Not debating the musical aspect to the show, it's certainly there. But Velsy seems to be looking for a series where music is the focus of the show and at least as far as we've seen the HTT girls (with the exception of Azusa) don't seem to view music as Serious Business™.
Old 2010-04-29, 11:58   Link #271
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velsy View Post
Hey, I wanted to ask, if the K-On band has improved and is or is almost as good as the band in Angel Beats musical wise. It may give me some motivation to watch this 2nd series.

How they doing so far ? Less tea parties and more musical focused ? Or is it pretty much the same as the first series ?
Okay, remember that you initiated this with basically "This sucks, should I watch it?"
Since I find the music in Angel Beats to be about as "generic anime pop" as it gets (albeit some nice voices, e.g. Lia) and pretty hard to listen to for more than a minute ... you're probably not going to find K-On!'s music any more enjoyable this season if that's what you like. K-On is a different genre of music, more j-rock than j-pop. Very different sounds... the level of technical virtuosity in the AB tunes is just far simpler (including the solos) and I've not found a tune yet where the AB singers use more than an octave of range or even sound that interested in what they're singing. (Granted, the same is true for Yui's voicing imo - though she's portrayed as a neophyte anyway, but Mio, Ritsu, and Mugi's VAs exercise their voices and throw passion into it).

And no, K-On! continues to be about people who are in a band, not so much about what they play particularly. I'd certainly *like* to see more music and will probably get a few more tunes out of this season.

Last edited by Vexx; 2010-04-29 at 12:14.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-29, 11:59   Link #272
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Not debating the musical aspect to the show, it's certainly there. But Velsy seems to be looking for a series where music is the focus of the show and at least as far as we've seen the HTT girls (with the exception of Azusa) don't seem to view music as Serious Business™.
Music is their business. I think the show gives more insight into how a band actually operates and what their members really are (normal human beings with an extra touch of moe in this case ).

For purely music, I think he would have a better chance at Broadway. But then again you can't tell real story with details with just music : this is no longer the 12th century where you write Canterbury tales and ballads.

Quote:
Since I find the music in Angel Beats to be about as "generic anime" as it gets (albeit some nice voices - Lia) and pretty hard to listen to for more than a minute ... you're probably not going to find K-On!'s music any more enjoyable this season.

And no, the series continues to be about people who are in a band, not so much about what they play particularly. I'd certainly *like* to see more music and will probably get a few more tunes out of this season.
Agreed. It is not often that you come across visual entertainment with music as its theme. If not for the retro 80-ish nature of White Album, I would have loved it more......

*thinks again*

Well the music is great for that anime, though the storyline is a little too dramatic, otherwise well written. The songs are pretty nostalgic, but have pretty musical styles and lyrics. Ah heck, I loved that anime anyway.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-29, 12:25   Link #273
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I have to caveat that I find a *lot* of anime music annoying at the level of "shopping mall" or "gym resort" pop-disco-crapola (ala the kind of radio stations that play Britney Spears or that other Mouseketeer - Aguilera).

I found Sawa-chan's character CD hilarious in a "Spinal Tap" homage to metal-rock sort of way. One of the things I like about K-On! is that they've pretty much let the instrumental musicians run loose while still playing something highschoolers might actually have the skills for.

I'll not comment on the storyline in Angel Beats or its music further, I think that would be off-topic and more appropriate over in that subforum.
Old 2010-04-29, 12:56   Link #274
DJLowrider
Ahou ga

Quote:
I'll not comment on the storyline in Angel Beats or its music further, I think that would be off-topic and more appropriate over in that subforum.
Well, I was holding back from making mention of that series and its apparent QUALITY, but like you said we don't want to derail this thread too much further in that regard.

I guess what's really interesting about this show is that it feels kind of like a "Before They Were Popular" look at the girls, with the music video EDs (and also the one for Fuwa Fuwa Time in season 1) being their presumed future. I'm curious to see if Kakifly takes the timeline past high school for HTT and shows them hitting the big time.
Old 2010-04-29, 16:12   Link #275
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Well, I was holding back from making mention of that series and its apparent QUALITY, but like you said we don't want to derail this thread too much further in that regard.

I guess what's really interesting about this show is that it feels kind of like a "Before They Were Popular" look at the girls, with the music video EDs (and also the one for Fuwa Fuwa Time in season 1) being their presumed future. I'm curious to see if Kakifly takes the timeline past high school for HTT and shows them hitting the big time.
I know this might be a spoiler but
Spoiler for possible spoiler:
Old 2010-04-29, 17:15   Link #276
drsypher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
I know this might be a spoiler but
Spoiler for possible spoiler:
Spoiler for reply to spoiler:
drsypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-29, 17:28   Link #277
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

For whatever reason..probably the band composition..I keep seeing HTT as the Beatles in 1960 or so (though these girls are not as wild as a bunch of Brit teenage boys in Germany). Their style...at least for some of the songs seems almost like some early Beatles songs in the way they sound, not so much the effects in the music. "Our Magic"'svocals sound very Beatles style from the early 60s.

It also helps that Mio is a lefty bassist.

Of course songs like "Don't Say Lazy" and "Listen" might be from their later albums (timeline wise) we just get to hear them early. Not quite 1966-67 Beatles, but one assumes Mio's not on anything while writing either (aside from Mugi's "cakes").

Go Go Maniac sounds rather like something you'd get from the Electric Mayham in some ways...the music I mean rather than the vocals. Can you picture that?
Old 2010-04-29, 20:31   Link #278
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsypher View Post
Spoiler for reply to spoiler:
Ok, thanks for clearing that up. With the current pace we're seeing in the anime I was starting to think we might get to such a situation sooner rather than latter.
Old 2010-04-29, 21:21   Link #279
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I think a lot of manga fans are on pins and needles about the "graduating moment" and what colleges the crew ends up at. A lot of fans *want* to see this story through to the "big time".

The timing of the end of the animated season and the state of the comic make me think they're trying a "Toradora" synchronized milestone moment. Whether that is to wrap both up... or to signal a move to the "college years" is unknown.

I'd *like* to see the story move into a college phase simply because so few anime/manga stories *do* that. I almost fell off my chair at Honey&Clover having the audacity to be set in college rather than "yet another high school drama" and would like to see more of that.
Old 2010-04-30, 00:25   Link #280
Velsy

Quote:
Okay, remember that you initiated this with basically "This sucks, should I watch it?"
no..... I didn't say it sucks. What did frustrate me in the first series is that they wouldnt take things seriously and just sit around having tea parties. I thought Azusa was going to quit at one stage. I was really suprised she stayed in the band. I actually hoped she did quit for them to wake up.

Quote:
Yes, pretty much.

Kinda why I was asking if its improved in this direction. I dont mind if they arn't really that good as newcomers. I mean I like watching people grow and become better. But only if they are really trying. They dont have to become musicians for there lives, just as long as they take the light music club seriously while they're in it.

I just was hoping for some motivation to watch it. You can say I am music inclinded. Not to bring up Angel beats again, but it took 1 episode for me to been blown away O_O. GirlsDeMo also rehearsal, but I dont want to say anymore since its spoilish and not really K-onish ^_^

Donated by Om Nerabdator

Last edited by Velsy; 2010-04-30 at 00:54.
Velsy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
seinen