AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2010-09-16, 16:05   Link #61
Kafriel
Senior Guest

True emo got purple/black hair and Ulquiorra's tears and a real sad look with eyes down to match them
Quote:
While most male protagonists in Japanese video games all seem to be the stereotypical pretty boy bishonens and most aren't even out of their teens seen in so many of their JRPGs. As for the new Dante, he ain't exactly a muscular old man nor is he a bishonen.
New Dante fits the badass deliquent type, see Hibino Hareluya, Beelzebub, KKOW, etc. By that, it means he seems normal but is actually a beast. Pretty common theme, been going around for almost 30 years now.
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-16, 16:14   Link #62
tyranuus
Team Spice and Wolf UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
Well to me he doesn't look emo and shame on you for judging people by thiier hair. Btw ibelive the old dante was made fun of at the beginning.

But like zekori said, people will change their minds.
I've had long hair on and off for quite a few years, so Im in a position where I can take the laughs, and can make the comments, although typically I use a more conventional style. I don't generally judge people by thier looks (you should see some of my friends, college friends and exes), but the new character design screams the stereotypical emo look.
Im not the only one who's said so, and I've seen the same unhappiness and thoughts about the new look elsewhere, so even if you don't draw that from the new look, I, and a lot of other people do.
Reading: None at the moment
tyranuus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-16, 16:17   Link #63
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

What ever then, Enjoy that stick up your butt like the others. while im enjoyin the new look with plenty of others. btw, don't judge him until we see more info.

We'll have the last laugh when the gameplay and mroe info turns up and everyone changes their minds.

They KNOW what their trying to redo, their not gonna half ass it...

Quote:
Language
Who me? I think you missed the bunch of other people who cursed much worse than "prick"
Old 2010-09-16, 16:24   Link #64
DingoEnderZOE2

Send a message via AIM to DingoEnderZOE2
Quote:
What ever then, Enjoy that stick up your butt like the others. while im enjoyin the new look with plenty of others. btw, don't judge him until we see more info.

We'll have the last laugh when the gameplay and mroe info turns up and everyone changes their minds.

I'm open minded enough to still play the game despite this insane look of Dante. However even if the gameplay is excellent and everything if Dante continues to look and act "emo" the way he appears to be right now and they still claim this is the real dante, then ALOT OF PEOPLE are still gonna hate this new look myself included.
Anime evaluating:None
Manga in progress:None at the moment
DingoEnderZOE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-16, 16:28   Link #65
Kafriel
Senior Guest

He tries to act Dante-ish in the trailer, the only part where he breaks character is his psychotic jail-flashback breakdown...so yeah the story is bound to suck, that much I admit, but I really don't think there's any other game of this kind that can best the DMC3 story and character development.
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-16, 16:32   Link #66
tyranuus
Team Spice and Wolf UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by DingoEnderZOE2
I'm open minded enough to still play the game despite this insane look of Dante. However even if the gameplay is excellent and everything if Dante continues to look and act "emo" the way he appears to be right now and they still claim this is the real dante, then ALOT OF PEOPLE are still gonna hate this new look myself included.
Thats pretty much what I'm trying to get at, its not about 'stick up the butt' seriously, its about the characterisation (if I was a completely unopen-minded stick up the butt would I be on a ****ing manga/anime site, given how niche the manga/anime scene is overall in the UK, seriously?).

The new look as we've seen it so far, doesn't suit the well established character that is Dante (he's popular enough he's made it out of the DMC games into cameos elsewhere, he's become pretty recognisable amongst gamers). That'd be fine if its a new series, but it's not, it's DMC, and that isn't the Dante and doesn't convey the Dante we've come to know and like.

What's so hard to understand about that? We don't like the new look and don't think it suits Dante, it doesn't convey what the character is about.

I've already said I'm going to wait with an open mind on the game itself, I'm specifically talking the artstyle and character design as we've seen it so far!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyeroFox
Have you seen ANY remakes in recent years? Most have been AWFUL, even with a design team that should know the characters/universe. Call me sceptical, but well...the trend for remakes/redesigns of pre-established characters isn't exactly positive over all.
Reading: None at the moment

Last edited by tyranuus; 2010-09-16 at 16:45.
tyranuus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-16, 16:45   Link #67
Kazu
Flowing

I'll go with what shiroth said about them pulling a MGS2

then in next DMC the original dante will be the main character and then the other dante will turn into badass you want him to be like Raiden in MGS4 LOL

jokes aside

If the game is as action packed as the rest I don't mind the new dante

I just really hope there will be a boss fight like mundus, honestly the first game puts a fight like that and they don't do something like that for the others
Old 2010-09-16, 16:46   Link #68
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
He tries to act Dante-ish in the trailer, the only part where he breaks character is his psychotic jail-flashback breakdown...so yeah the story is bound to suck, that much I admit, but I really don't think there's any other game of this kind that can best the DMC3 story and character development.
well we don't know why he's in jain =\ so can't go that far and say the story sucks...
Old 2010-09-16, 18:28   Link #69
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

Quote:
Dmc4 had the best gameplay, with changing styles on the go
DMC4 was a lackluster IMO.

Not enough weapons, Dante, and too much whiny Nero.
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-16, 18:58   Link #70
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

I think that you should wait for more info instead of already judging
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-16, 19:36   Link #71
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Sho- View Post
I think that you should wait for more info instead of already judging
Well all the fans love the way Dante originally looked.. Unless there was some sort of plot that explained why he looks different, and theres a chance to make his look come back. Then its impossible for people not to judge

Oh wait... Are you talking to GN0010 Nosferatu and his thoughts on DMC4?
Old 2010-09-16, 20:00   Link #72
Royal_Devil
Powder Hunter

Disregarding Dante's awful new look, Ninja Theory is a developer that has yet to make a game even remotely in the same league as Devil May Cry gameplay wise.

Kung Fu Chaos - outright sucked

Heavenly Sword - Good cinematography but clunky gameplay that often struggled to keep things at 30 fps

Enslaved (based on the demo so far) - see Heavenly Sword (I'll be back on this after I rent the full version but that demo left me less than impressed)

They've yet to make a 30 fps action game that runs smoothly. Devil May Cry needs to stay at 60 fps to be the same beast. So far, Ninja Theory's action games have been more like God of War. While I also like God of War it fulfills a different niche in the action genre . While it excels at set pieces, spectacle, and easy satisfaction, it's combat system lacks the speed, fluidity, and depth that makes game like DMC (sans 2) and Bayonetta great. NT's games haven't even been as good as GOW, which further increases my skepticism.

I have more confidence in their ability to tell a story as to how the thing in that trailer becomes like the Dante from previous games. However, I have little confidence in their gameplay prowess

Last edited by Royal_Devil; 2010-09-16 at 20:34.
Royal_Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-16, 22:28   Link #73
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Spoiler for Compare:
Old 2010-09-16, 22:32   Link #74
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

They have not... OMG THEIR HAIR IS THE SAME...... yea,nothing
Old 2010-09-16, 22:54   Link #75
Royal_Devil
Powder Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjiharima View Post
Spoiler for Compare:
More like

The guy on the right is chief of design/art for this game

It should also be noted the head of Ninja Theory said the following

“In Heavenly Sword I thought, “Actually, let’s try and do a story.” Working with Andy and everyone else, working with Weta and having people talk about story as something serious – not something throwaway like we do in games – was quite eye-opening to me,” he explained.

“I still see a prejudice, actually. I still come across a lot of people who say, “it’s a game and it doesn’t need a story.” You’re trying to make a particular point of storytelling, trying to refine it, and somebody says “it’s just a game, it doesn’t matter.” What’s more important – the gameplay or the story? If you’re doing a game, it’s got to be the story, actually.”

Honestly, I can't see why Capcom chose this developer. Like I said, nothing in their portfolio paints them as the ideal people for such a game.
Old 2010-09-16, 23:03   Link #76
ZODDGUTS

^ Director Tameem Antoniadesreally model Dante based on himself.

ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-16, 23:40   Link #77
colorles
kid

kinda feelin' the darker, cyberpunk feel....this is the coolest Dante has been since DMC 2, which is ill by the way
colorles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-16, 23:44   Link #78
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Ohh...Jesus! No wonder... >_>

And true it has the cyber punk feel if you look at it in a way.
Old 2010-09-16, 23:53   Link #79
colorles
kid

cant match DMC 2 Dante, but this new punk Dante seems pretty cool
colorles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-16, 23:55   Link #80
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

I like the new Dante look. Looks like a teenage punk.

Until there's some gameplay footage, i withhold my judgment of whether or not the game is good or bad.