AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-10-23, 16:48   Link #341
vansonbee
❤Ichigo 100%❤

Just saw episode 4, its getting good and interesting, especially due to how long ago, I saw the original series.

Memory ain't so good now.

Last edited by vansonbee; 2011-10-23 at 17:12.
vansonbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-23, 17:09   Link #342
noktown

No Manga spoilers,when there is another version of the anime,eh,ok...
noktown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-23, 17:21   Link #343
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by noktown View Post
Well there are a lot of people who have neither read the manga or watched the first anime. I am sure these viewers want to experience the series for the first time without knowing what is going to happen next.
Old 2011-10-23, 17:23   Link #344
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
I haven't seen the original myself, nor do I wanted to be spoiled on it. It's simple courtesy.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-23, 17:26   Link #345
noktown

I didn't spoil any anime content,we were only talking about Killua's personality differences in the 1999 ver and 2011,speaking of which,i don't even know what i spoiled.

Last edited by Daniel E.; 2011-10-23 at 18:02.
Old 2011-10-23, 18:05   Link #346
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
I didn't spoil any anime content,we were only talking about Killua's personality differences in the 1999 ver and 2011,speaking of which,i don't even know what i spoiled.
Comparisons are free game as long they only cover what has already been shown in this version. For everything else, you are gonna have to wait for the anime to show it.

In the end, this is a thread for the 2011 version and the main focus of the thread must always be centered around that.
Old 2011-10-24, 20:23   Link #347
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
I really liked the way they had Gon and Killua right behind Satotsu at the end of the tunnel run and then started fighting. I thought it was much better than the original anime(where, by helping Leorio, they ended up near the end and didn't fight/make a bet at all =0\). Hisoka didn't hesitate to kill the fake examiner either(thus, no build-up of the examinees rallying against Satotsu), and even let the Satotsu-transformed accomplice get away =0(. Not a big deal though, since the Gon/Killua part at the end of the tunnel was MORE than satisfying to offset the Hisoka part.
frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-24, 21:48   Link #348
Ishe

Well, there wasn't really any reason for Hisoka to kill the Satotsu-look-alike monkey. The only reason he killed the fake examiner is because he couldn't stop his attack . It was just more expedient to attack both "examiner"s.
Ishe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-24, 23:23   Link #349
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishe View Post
Well, there wasn't really any reason for Hisoka to kill the Satotsu-look-alike monkey.
I don't think you understand Hisoka...
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-25, 08:36   Link #350
jcdietz03

Does this version go faster than the original series? I think I like it like that way more. Stuff tends to actually happen.

For example, I watched the first episode of the original series which covered events up to Gon defeating the king fish (or whatever) while the first 2011 episode covered that in the first half while it covered the ship trial in the second half (which I presume was a separate episode in the original).

However, this most recent episode 4 was pretty slow paced by comparison. They ran through a tunnel and climbed stairs in a test of endurance. If they can't make it more interesting than that, then...I will drop the show.
jcdietz03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-25, 08:40   Link #351
Toto y Moi
Amor Fati

So far, it's twice the speed of the 1999 series. That's a good thing. And this episode was an endurance test, but it also introduced the reasons as to why the protagonists want to become Hunters.
Toto y Moi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-25, 08:41   Link #352
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

^This adaptation will indeed move faster then the original. Even though the pacing from episodes 3 and 4 seemed slow, it's completely different in the original. Not a bad thing of course, because i'm a huge fan of both versions.
Old 2011-10-25, 08:59   Link #353
noktown

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdietz03 View Post
Does this version go faster than the original series? I think I like it like that way more. Stuff tends to actually happen.

For example, I watched the first episode of the original series which covered events up to Gon defeating the king fish (or whatever) while the first 2011 episode covered that in the first half while it covered the ship trial in the second half (which I presume was a separate episode in the original).

However, this most recent episode 4 was pretty slow paced by comparison. They ran through a tunnel and climbed stairs in a test of endurance. If they can't make it more interesting than that, then...I will drop the show.
The Manga is still on-going,so they will have to drop the pace sooner or later(assuming that they're going to finish the anime this time and not drop it half-way through),I'd rather watch it with a decent pace than a really fast one where it will catch up with the manga in a few months.

It's still much faster than the first anime where it took them like 2-3 episodes to reach the end of the tunnel.

When i first watched the 1999 anime version,i didn't read the manga before that,but i knew already that the tunnel episodes were fillers,cuz they were too obvious.
This time it was ok.
Old 2011-10-25, 09:04   Link #354
Toto y Moi
Amor Fati

Quote:
The Manga is still on-going,so they will have to drop the pace sooner or later,I'd rather watch it with a decent pace than a really fast one where it will catch up with the manga in a few months.

It's still much faster than the first anime where it took them like 2-3 episodes to reach the end of the tunnel.
It's actually not that fast. The series has covered 7.6 chapters in 4 episodes; that's not bad at all. Compared to the 1999 series, in which it took 7.3 episodes to cover the same material. The Hunter Exam's pacing was just slow in the original.

In the 1999 anime series, 38 chapters were done in the first 31 episodes--that's almost a 1:1 ratio. The second 31 episodes covered 63 chapters--they picked up the pace.
Old 2011-10-25, 09:15   Link #355
Vicious108

In the original anime the Hunter Exam arc had slow pacing in terms of moving towards the plot goalposts if you compare it to the manga, but watched on its own, without constant comparisons to the source material, the pacing was actually pretty enjoyable most of the time. They didn't really drag out the canon material, but simply added a lot of side filler stuff, which was so good it was basically indiscernible from the canon more often than not. That's why I (and many others) find it to be a very enjoyable adaptation, even if it's not the most faithful one out there.
Vicious108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-25, 09:19   Link #356
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Twilight View Post
That's why I (and many others) find it to be a very good adaptation, even if it's not the most faithful one out there.
I don't just call the original HxH a very good adaptation. It goes to show what can be done when anime only material is handled well, and professionally fused together with manga material. Personally, i'd say it's the best case of this happening, because filler material is most of the time looked down on.
Old 2011-10-25, 09:20   Link #357
Toto y Moi
Amor Fati

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Twilight View Post
In the original anime the Hunter Exam arc had slow pacing in terms of moving towards the plot goalposts if you compare it to the manga, but watched on its own, without constant comparisons to the source material, the pacing was actually pretty enjoyable most of the time. They didn't really drag out the canon material, but simply added a lot of side filler stuff, which was so good it was basically indiscernible from the canon. That's why I (and many others) find it to be a very good adaptation, even if it's not the most faithful to the original source out there.
Don't get me wrong--I don't think that it's a bad adaptation. But it tests your patience, especially when watching it weekly. Most of the US fans have the ability to watch several episodes in one sitting, or at least several episodes a week. However, in Japan, most consumers were forced to watch a fairly slow episode every week; if the Nippon Animation aired weekly alongside the Madhouse version, the most recent episode would have been the two-choice quiz exam. It took over a month for viewers to even see the protagonists reach the examination site in 1999.

The DVDs in Japan didn't fare much better--the first disc only contained two episodes. Following that, the made sure 5 were on every DVD (at 4700 yen a pop!).
Old 2011-10-25, 14:34   Link #358
mechalord
Deploying Funnel Cakes

The pacing will show down. They have a year to adapt the existing material. They are going to get the point where the manga material is 9-12 months ahead the anime. When that happens, they'll take a break or add filler.
mechalord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-25, 15:25   Link #359
Kirarakim

I am still wondering if the manga is actually going to conclude soon. I would be more willing to stick to the anime till the end if I knew it was actually going to animate the ending of the manga.
Old 2011-10-25, 15:26   Link #360
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechalord View Post
The pacing will show down. They have a year to adapt the existing material. They are going to get the point where the manga material is 9-12 months ahead the anime. When that happens, they'll take a break or add filler.
The manga has more than 300 chapters. Even going at the super-fast 2 chapters per episode this anime started with, it would take 3 years to catch up with where the manga is right now. Assuming the author doesn't take another hiatus, he'll have written 150 more chapters by then. Which would take another year and a half to animate at the same "fast" pacing. Which is another 75 chapters, so another year.

I don't want to bother getting into the calculus, but basically we have another 4-5 years before we even have to start worrying about the possibility of catching up and therefore having to slow down or add filler. Honestly, the series might even end within 4 years. This is not something we should be concerned about right now.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, shounen