bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Or he can just go and make his own.
Old 2013-12-13, 13:36   Link #4722
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

He'll have to, because of the known Servants in all of the Fate/stay night franchise and its spinoffs, there's only two Servants with non-European and non-Asian backgrounds (and even one of those is debatable):

Arcueid Brunestud (from Fate/Extra) and Pestilence (from Fate/strange fake).
Old 2013-12-14, 12:00   Link #4723
maximilianjenus
[E]

so, for a full non european/non asian servant it's got to be an american or african servant (well australia too), i am of the ide that one of the aztecs gods was amde into a servant but maybe I am remembering incorrectly.
maximilianjenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-14, 14:56   Link #4724
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

After having just looked through the list I can safely say there are no western hemisphere Servants of any kind from the canon of Fate/stay night and its extended spinoffs. Every Servant has origins dating back to Europe (and in that case, mostly Greece) or Asia (fairly even split between middle eastern and far eastern). There are a few god-types in there, particularly from Fate/Extra CCC, and of those two, they're amalgamations of Greek, Norse, and Hindu deities.

As I mentioned before, the ONLY Servants who haven't had origins from Europe or Asia are Arcueid (who is a True Ancestor), and Pestilence (who is a disease).
Old 2013-12-15, 01:39   Link #4725
Stanfoo

What exactly is a leyline? I'm guessing it's places that contains lots of mana?
Stanfoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-15, 09:17   Link #4726
GDB

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ley_line

Has both real world and common fictional definitions of it.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-17, 12:34   Link #4727
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Even the asian legendary souls are rare. But at least they exist.

And to be fair, the other regions don't have very well-known legends. I'm not saying they -don't- have legends, they are likely to have a lot of them even, but you'll have to search a bit to find them.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-18, 22:24   Link #4728
Stanfoo

In episode 22, what did Saber mean when she said "Perhaps I will divine Shirou's fortune"? I've never heard that saying before.

I've added screens below for context.

Spoiler:
Old 2013-12-18, 22:43   Link #4729
TwilightsCall

Send a message via MSN to TwilightsCall
When she was alive, she learned Astrology (mystical, not scientific) from Merlin (I think). "Divining his fortune" basically means reading his fortune from the stars, in the same way one would from Tarot Cards or a palm reading.
TwilightsCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-18, 23:05   Link #4730
Stanfoo

Wow, neat. I never would have guessed that.
Old 2013-12-19, 15:34   Link #4731
Cherry_Lover

I'm not sure that's true, but she probably does believe in that sort of stuff due to the nature of the time she lived in.
Old 2013-12-19, 16:35   Link #4732
Stanfoo

Is the Einzbern castle in the intro ep of FZ the same castle as Illya's castle in FSN where Archer and Berserker fought?
Old 2013-12-19, 17:46   Link #4733
TwilightsCall

Send a message via MSN to TwilightsCall
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherry_Lover
I'm not sure that's true, but she probably does believe in that sort of stuff due to the nature of the time she lived in.
Day 15 or so of Fate route

Spoiler for Space:
TwilightsCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-19, 17:47   Link #4734
chaos_alfa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanfoo View Post
Is the Einzbern castle in the intro ep of FZ the same castle as Illya's castle in FSN where Archer and Berserker fought?
It is a different one. The Einzbern only use the castle in Fuyuki around the time of the Holy Grail War.
The Fuyuki castle is where Kiritsugu fought Kayneth and where Archer fought Berserker.
chaos_alfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-20, 21:40   Link #4735
Cherry_Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos_alfa View Post
It is a different one. The Einzbern only use the castle in Fuyuki around the time of the Holy Grail War.
The Fuyuki castle is where Kiritsugu fought Kayneth and where Archer fought Berserker.
Well, when in the intro episode are you talking about?

Certainly there is more than one castle. The one Iri was created and where Ilya lived is in Germany or some other German-speaking country (possibly Switzerland, because I recall Ilya having Francs in the original VN), and is their normal living location and the Eiiinzbern family base. The one in Fuyuki is indeed only used as accomodation for their nominated master in the Grail War. Ilya says it is empty the rest of the time. I don't remember if the one in Fuyuki is shown in the first episode or not, but I'm pretty sure the one in Germany is.
Old 2013-12-20, 23:09   Link #4736
GDB

I don't think the Fuyuki one is shown, since if I recall the episode ends with Saber being summoned, and they still had to fly into Fuyuki after that.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-21, 07:47   Link #4737
chaos_alfa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherry_Lover View Post
Well, when in the intro episode are you talking about?

Certainly there is more than one castle. The one Iri was created and where Ilya lived is in Germany or some other German-speaking country (possibly Switzerland, because I recall Ilya having Francs in the original VN), and is their normal living location and the Eiiinzbern family base. The one in Fuyuki is indeed only used as accomodation for their nominated master in the Grail War. Ilya says it is empty the rest of the time. I don't remember if the one in Fuyuki is shown in the first episode or not, but I'm pretty sure the one in Germany is.
The only castle which appears in the first episode is the main castle where the Einzbern family lives in, the one in the "German-speaking country".

The castle in Fuyuki appears for the first time in episode 7, if I checked correctly.

Last edited by chaos_alfa; 2013-12-22 at 17:19.
Old 2013-12-24, 03:11   Link #4738
Stanfoo

Is it the lesser grail or the greater grail that allows servants to stay in the real world? I've always thought that without the lesser grail, servants wouldn't be able to stay in the real world, as was what happened in FZ when Saber destroyed the lesser grail (cup). Someone I'm talking to claims the lesser grail has no part in servants being able to stay in the real world.

If I'm wrong, then what caused Saber's disappearance?
Old 2013-12-24, 03:16   Link #4739
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Saber disappeared because she was caught in the blast of Excalibur. Gilgamesh survived on account of his armor and Independent Action skill.
Old 2013-12-24, 12:18   Link #4740
chaos_alfa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanfoo View Post
Is it the lesser grail or the greater grail that allows servants to stay in the real world? I've always thought that without the lesser grail, servants wouldn't be able to stay in the real world, as was what happened in FZ when Saber destroyed the lesser grail (cup). Someone I'm talking to claims the lesser grail has no part in servants being able to stay in the real world.

If I'm wrong, then what caused Saber's disappearance?
I don't think a Grail is needed to keep a servant in the world. Only a prana source and a master(anchor) is needed.

Spoiler for Fate/Stay Night Visual Novel Endings:

A Servant without a master has to have the Independent Action skill to stay in the world for a certain amount of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
Saber disappeared because she was caught in the blast of Excalibur. Gilgamesh survived on account of his armor and Independent Action skill.
Saber wasn't caught in the blast, she used up all her prana to create the blast, she also lost the will to stay in the world and Kiritsugu didn't let her stay.

Spoiler for Light Novel Quote: