AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Shin Sekai Yori

Notices

View Poll Results: Shin Sekai Yori - Episode 19 Rating
Perfect 10 33 49.25%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 21 31.34%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 9 13.43%
7 out of 10 : Good 1 1.49%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 2.99%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.49%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2013-02-11, 05:11   Link #121
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
On the subject of Squaler's actions...

Freedom Fighter or Terrorist? War Criminal or Savior? History is written by the victors and certainly whoever is good or bad is often subjective to one side.

So yea, I guess that makes sense that war will see some rather questionable and brutal actions. However, there are certain lines that often do get crossed, and there are definitely many cases where both sides are in the wrong and one might consider both societies in this conflict to be somewhat evil. Though strangely enough it might still be the humans that are still worse.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2013-02-11, 07:28   Link #122
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
But Triple R I am saying I don't see that as Yakomaru's motives. I disagree with DragonZero that is what the ultimate outcome is.

Granted Dragon is giving him the benefit of the doubt and I am not. Of course it is open to interpretation at this point.

If it comes out that we still don't know in the end then it will still be open to interpretation like it is now.

I am not saying I am 100% right, I am just saying I interpret Yakomaru differently, so when it is said he has just motives, well to me he doesn't.
That's fine. I'm just saying that the anime may never spell it out to us what his motives are.

To be fair, I myself think his main goal is good, old-fashioned "I'm going to take over the world!" Yes, I think he wants power, prestige, control.

But whether that is his only goal, I'm not sure. It's possible that he really does want to bring freedom for his people (freedom from humans, anyway).
Old 2013-02-11, 10:56   Link #123
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Yakomaru's motives are indeed unclear, but like Kirarakim, I have a hard time seeing an underhanded coward like him as a selfless fighter for freedom. He strikes me more as an egotistical individual who wants more power and uses freedom and equality as pretexts to wage war against everybody else in order to finally become the top dog. I think his motives are purely personal but I might be wrong.

Either way, he's definitely the kind of person who would go to any length to accomplish his goals, whatever they might be. Humans should have never underestimated him. He's smarter than he looks.
Old 2013-02-11, 11:02   Link #124
Diveman

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
OMG.....

NSFW
Reaction
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
That's kinda what I imagined, Yakomaru being present to see they don't trick him. Even raising the posibility of them not being able to have a kid at the first try and Yakomaru to witness every attempt they make...

but that'd be kind cruel isn't it?

Of course another theory which is kinda unlikely is that Maria and Mamoru found another human village, then Yakomaru followed them, stole a random kid and used him to kill all.
Old 2013-02-11, 11:36   Link #125
kuromitsu

Er, guys, it's not like a bakenezumi can force a human to do anything, well, unless it's the same way how Squealer forced Satoru to fight for him but making babies doesn't exactly work like that...

Maria and Mamoru are both gentle kids who wouldn't want to hurt anyone, but even so together they can pretty much level an entire colony if they want to.
Old 2013-02-11, 12:50   Link #126
ChronoReverse

It was noted already that any one of the teens could have leveled an entire queerat colony, even Mamoru. The queerats can do significant damage with a surprise attack and a load of planning but even with that, they actually can't win which was why the humans were so complacent and in disbelief that the queerats would rebel.

What the humans didn't account for is the possibility that the queerats have subjugated a human as their weapon.
Old 2013-02-11, 12:54   Link #127
kuromitsu

No, I was talking about the theory that Maria and Mamoru were somehow forced into having a child.

(And before anyone mentions, yes, of course there are ways to force humans into doing things but that's not what I'm talking about here...)
Old 2013-02-11, 13:12   Link #128
Dark Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
No, I was talking about the theory that Maria and Mamoru were somehow forced into having a child.
I agree that there is no way the queerats could've forced Maria or Mamoru to do anything. It's actually more possible for the queerats to have been watching the and waiting to take them out as soon as Maria gave birth.
Old 2013-02-11, 19:48   Link #129
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
I agree that there is no way the queerats could've forced Maria or Mamoru to do anything. It's actually more possible for the queerats to have been watching the and waiting to take them out as soon as Maria gave birth.
I don't the couple will like it either...

I bet kuromitsu is just smiling on us speculating knowing that he already knew everything from cover to cover....
Old 2013-02-11, 21:12   Link #130
Rosalena
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

What most intrigues me is how this kid came to be in her/his current condition. Unless I'm misunderstanding how akki/gouma work, one isn't simply born as one. It's a process of one's mental health breaking down/altering (for lack of a better way to describe it), right? I am very interesting in know how the bakenezumi came to control such a powerful force. How do the bakenezumi prevent her/him from turning on them? Mental conditioning perhaps?
Old 2013-02-11, 21:54   Link #131
Dawnstorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosalena View Post
What most intrigues me is how this kid came to be in her/his current condition. Unless I'm misunderstanding how akki/gouma work, one isn't simply born as one. It's a process of one's mental health breaking down/altering (for lack of a better way to describe it), right? I am very interesting in know how the bakenezumi came to control such a powerful force. How do the bakenezumi prevent her/him from turning on them? Mental conditioning perhaps?
Well, that depends how the conditioning/genetics work, here. But let's say you raise a human child as a bakenezumi. He'd probably consider himself (or she herself) as one of them. This could then mean that death feedback kicks in if he kills a bakenezumi, but he can kill humans with impunity. In that case, we don't have a fiend at hand, but a pissed of human cantus user who thinks he's a bakenezumi.

If there had been more time between the bakenezumi attack and their arrival at the hospital, and if the screams of the "fiend" didn't sound so much like queer-rat bellows, I'd consider the possibility that what we're dealing with here is actually just a villager who snapped and not the "secret weapon" at all. In fact, I expect that may happen if they can't get the situation under control soon.

I'm also not sure if the "fiend" condition allows for storing victims for later torture, or chasing fugitives. What we've seen in the backflash looked more like a walk-and-kill to me. But then a sample of one is hardly representative.

Wait and see.
Old 2013-02-12, 00:07   Link #132
CJ_Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosalena View Post
it was obvious that they got info from a false minoshiro (its been hinted at that for a while) so they probably found out about how to make a fiend or whatnot out of marias baby
Old 2013-02-13, 01:48   Link #133
Dawnstorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikvod00 View Post
Do you any of you think the the queer rats can "gain" PK abilities, or is it something you can only be born with? If it is a possibility, I wonder if that's actually Yakomaru's final goal in order to be "equals" with humans. The only thing that could worsen the current situation is if a creep like Yakomaru had those powers of his own...
You know, when I read this post I thought the idea was interesting, but I thought it was a bit far-fetched. I still think you have to be born with it, but I'm no longer sure whether a queerrat couldn't be born with it (maybe they're sufficiently close to humans?).

I was reading the Yakomaru thread, and people were wondering about why Yakomaru started the war, and why now. Would a single cantus wielder be reliable enough for Yakomaru to risk all out war? What if their superweapon accidently falls down a hole and breaks his/her neck?

So maybe we're looking at the first generation of cantus-wielding bakenezumi? It's more likely than I, at first, thought:

1. Origins. Thinking back to the tarantula arc, the tarantula colony had frog bakenezumi, and mole bakenezumi, and twig bakenezumi (?!). What if the tarantula colony had access to gene tech and Yakomaru gained access to it? And then Yakomaru acquired a sample of Divine DNA from Maria and Mamoru...

2. Biology. People are debating whether a child could be developed enough. Maybe Bakenezumi mature more quickly?

3. Strategy. Yakomaru stages an attack at the festival, but does not use his "secret weapon". Instead he sends it to a hospital at nearly the same time. What sort of strategy is that? Why risk revealing your secret weapon at a secondary target? Or maybe the festival attack is a diversion? Or maybe Yakomaru is counting on "no survivors"? Counting on survivors being incoherent?

Maybe. But what if it's no strategy at all? What if the bakenezumi weren't actually attacking the hospital at all? What if they were hunting the first runaway bakenezumi fiend?

I didn't think I could be any more frightened by this episode, but this szenario...
Old 2013-02-13, 19:12   Link #134
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawnstorm View Post
So maybe we're looking at the first generation of cantus-wielding bakenezumi? It's more likely than I, at first, thought:

1. Origins. Thinking back to the tarantula arc, the tarantula colony had frog bakenezumi, and mole bakenezumi, and twig bakenezumi (?!). What if the tarantula colony had access to gene tech and Yakomaru gained access to it? And then Yakomaru acquired a sample of Divine DNA from Maria and Mamoru...

2. Biology. People are debating whether a child could be developed enough. Maybe Bakenezumi mature more quickly?

3. Strategy. Yakomaru stages an attack at the festival, but does not use his "secret weapon". Instead he sends it to a hospital at nearly the same time. What sort of strategy is that? Why risk revealing your secret weapon at a secondary target? Or maybe the festival attack is a diversion? Or maybe Yakomaru is counting on "no survivors"? Counting on survivors being incoherent?

Maybe. But what if it's no strategy at all? What if the bakenezumi weren't actually attacking the hospital at all? What if they were hunting the first runaway bakenezumi fiend?

I didn't think I could be any more frightened by this episode, but this szenario...
It's more likely that they (forgive me here) raped Maria and had her bear a hybrid. If that is even possible. They may have tried multiple times. Okay... that's enough from that line of thought.
Old 2013-02-13, 19:19   Link #135
CJ_Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
It's more likely that they (forgive me here) raped Maria and had her bear a hybrid. If that is even possible. They may have tried multiple times. Okay... that's enough from that line of thought.
I don't think it works that way. . .being that they(the rats) are born from the hive queens and what not -.-
Old 2013-02-13, 19:41   Link #136
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_Walker View Post
I don't think it works that way. . .being that they(the rats) are born from the hive queens and what not -.-
Yeah, I didn't think it was possible. I can't see them using genetics, so the fiend is likely directly related to Maria and Mamoru.
Old 2013-02-15, 17:26   Link #137
Raghar

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_Walker View Post
Actually the animals, they are loosely based upon (the only hive mammals), can reproduce when they are moved for several months away from the queen/king pair. However, they would block reproduction of all others in the new colony and become a new queen/king pair.
Old 2013-02-16, 19:40   Link #138
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

This episode was survival horror at its prime when properly executed.
Mood and environment creepily setup, sprinkled with severe psychological layer, keeping the visceral hidden and unknown to the audience, and matching up the soundtrack with the direness each one of the unknowing victims went through.

Bakenezumi are proving themselves terrifyingly intelligent; if Yakomaru found his way to set loose a Karma Demon, then his seemingly desperate actions to trigger a war against the village not only are reasonable now but also ceased to be desperate.

And, the horror does not end at the ruined hospital, since unidentified Karma Demon is trailing Saki and Satoru via the canal on boat.
Old 2013-02-18, 04:12   Link #139
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoReverse View Post
It was noted already that any one of the teens could have leveled an entire queerat colony, even Mamoru. The queerats can do significant damage with a surprise attack and a load of planning but even with that, they actually can't win which was why the humans were so complacent and in disbelief that the queerats would rebel.

What the humans didn't account for is the possibility that the queerats have subjugated a human as their weapon.
Not counting the Akki though...

I think it's actually possible for the Bakenezumi to win. Humans are in short supply and they are clustered in settlements. Very ripe targets for the ingenuous siege and assault engineer

Speaking of which...the humans possess the Minoshiro knowledge...yet decent weaponry is in short supply. No one has made indiscriminate killing methods like minefields and indirect artillery fire with which one can kill without even knowing what he killed.

Such would be of so much use against Akki or Bakenezumi

Compare against the Bakenezumi who have something resembling a thermobaric weapon albeit a biological one

Last edited by Cosmic Eagle; 2013-02-18 at 04:27.
Old 2013-02-18, 05:27   Link #140
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
Speaking of which...the humans possess the Minoshiro knowledge...yet decent weaponry is in short supply. No one has made indiscriminate killing methods like minefields and indirect artillery fire with which one can kill without even knowing what he killed.

Such would be of so much use against Akki or Bakenezumi
Well, it's not like they have wars or anything to use weapons for. The humans in this story are generally very peaceful, to the point where the idea of wars between humans, or their ancestors enjoying bloody "sports" upsets them a great deal. Plus, there are so few of them, a war would potentially wipe them out... And in any case, a minefield would be of no use anyway (it would be more dangerous to the general population than to an akki or gouma), and indirect fire still requires someone using it with an intention to kill (and someone else ordering this person to use it which also means ordering them to die... ).

And against bakenezumi they've always had their power.
Closed Thread