AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Macross Frontier: Sayonara no Tsubasa Movie Rating
Perfect 10 40 42.11%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 33 34.74%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 12 12.63%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 5.26%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 3.16%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 2.11%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2012-04-10, 19:50   Link #3801
Darthtabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMeKags View Post
I never denied it in the first place. Don't you recall a certain time period where I blamed him for the plot of Frontier going downhill in the second half?
The part where you said that Kawamori didn't let him write Frontier is fresher in my memory, along with other denials that he had much influence in the project. But if you're willing to acknowledge that he was responsible for writing Frontier and did have significant influence maybe we can wrap up that debate.

Personally, I think the second half of Frontier showcased Yoshino's strengths as a writer fairly well (aside from the cop-out ending).

Quote:
Still, Yoshino had some say in the direction of Sayonara no Tsubasa too. He was invited back, as much as I hate to say it. However, I wonder if Kawamori disliked what he did in the series, because his role went down. He was no longer the composition...
Series Composer is a position that is generally associated with TV Series and episodic OVA series, not movies.

Last edited by Darthtabby; 2012-04-10 at 21:16.
Old 2012-04-10, 22:44   Link #3802
LoveMeKags
#1 Ranka Fan!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtabby View Post
The part where you said that Kawamori didn't let him write Frontier is fresher in my memory, along with other denials that he had much influence in the project. But if you're willing to acknowledge that he was responsible for writing Frontier and did have significant influence maybe we can wrap up that debate.
In our current discussion, I haven't. That is what I am referring to.

Quote:
Personally, I think the second half of Frontier showcased Yoshino's strengths as a writer fairly well (aside from the cop-out ending).
Actually, looking at Frontier as a whole, I noticed a few similarities to Guilty Crown in it. One example is the talk about Sheryl's illness via the V-type virus, which is much similar to the virus in GC, though without the crystallization deaths. However, despite that, Sheryl's earrings are also the same color of those crystals--purple. Also, quite a few scenes of Sheryl's personality is a lot like Mana's, though it isn't as heartless as the girl's.

It seems to me that Yoshino wanted to do something similar to GC with Frontier but was denied by Kawamori, and so he inserted this little details. It's odd, but those similarities are there.

Actually, the second half of Frontier only showcased his ability to write. It did not showcase his ability to carry a plot. And GC shows this very well, since he had even more involvement in that than Frontier.

A good example is how he handled the triangle in particular. Instead of going along with building the characters anymore, he decided to have Ranka leave Frontier, as if Sheryl wouldn't have won any other way. This was something that Kawamori disliked, as he spoke sadly of it in the commentary. Then came the absolute plotholes. How a lot of the war was solved left people both upset and confused. One minute they're going to kill the Vajra in cold blood because they are enemies then by a fluke, Alto sees the true enemy as Galaxy thanks to Ranka, lives to tell about it due to a fake death, and then they're all for killing Galaxy. Multiple times, people have stated that is a large, irritating plothole. However, a lot of what became of Ranka was a plothole itself, given that people felt her character had become at least strong enough not to fall to mind control.

I'm sure that mostly everyone will disagree with me here, but I saw do not think about couples when I continue to speak in this.

The fact is, in the second half of Frontier, all the characters were pulled by the plot rather than choosing their own paths away from the writers. Therefore, it was easy to tell which person wrote which part of the story.

In the first half, the characters had their own paths away from the writers and had separate personalities, allowing the writers to create a vibrant universe around them. Alto had his own demons but also had a standoffish personality that slowly opened up around others over time. Sheryl had her past but also had a rather standoffish, at times, but also open personality that slowly opened up with time. Ranka had no memory of the past but also had a truly open personality. They each had potential to grow into amazing characters. I won't say they are any past Macross characters, but they had large potential, and the movie showcased this lovingly.

However, when Yoshino took over for episode fifteen and onward, the growth all stopped. They were no longer separate characters. They either needed another character to make their choices for them or to grow. Only the fan favorites grew a little, and that was in the romance category. It was like he saw the characters and thought they were perfect as they were, that they didn't need to develop anymore. However, this shrunk down the maturity level of each character, as they needed to develop into understanding themselves... but they had no confrontation scenes or episodes, and so, by the end, Yoshino felt that Alto was more in love with his sky; because he didn't truly understand Alto's character at all. And because he'd rid himself of dealing with Ranka, he had no understanding as to her character either. The only one he seemed to truly understand was Sheryl's character. But he didn't give her much growth either. Besides coming to terms with her illness and choosing to be selfless (which was within her character already), there was no change to show maturity on a more adult level outside of the romance. It was the same as usual for each character. Except for Alto, whom literally was pulled along by the plot itself, being told information and not questioning his position. And, noticing he's the only character whom doesn't confront anything outside of the same problems he encountered and dealt with in the first half.

I really disliked all those changes. So instead of watching the second half of the series, I recommended to all of my friends that they watch episodes one through thirteen, or even fourteen, and then jump right into the first movie. Otherwise, they'd get confused, irritated, or hate Frontier all together for its lack of character development in the second half.

Hey, look at how many people wish Alto had actually died instead of lived? They blamed his lack of romantic confessions on him. However, looking at what I stated above about his character, it doesn't shock me that Yoshino felt like Alto's sky was more important than his romantic attachment to either girl. One can only say that when they don't understand the character, because obviously, his friendship with both girls was more important than his sky.

Quote:
Series Composer is a position that is generally associated with TV Series and episodic OVA series, not movies.
No, no; that's not what I meant. He doesn't even have an association with the composition of the movie. It was shocking but his role was downplayed, as if Kawamori was pissed at what the ending of the series had been. I think he wanted to remove Yoshino from having anymore involvement with the characters he'd grown to perfection, as he wanted his ending.

That doesn't mean Yoshino might not have given ideas that Kawamori might've taken (like the flashback of Alto and Sheryl to help compensate for the time--never mind they spent four months together, I mean; ain't that enough if you wanted to hook them up--but no, apparently, we needed a flashback because we didn't think they were in love yet, which meant Ranka would win by default and it would piss a lot of people off), but it means his role was nowhere near how it was with Frontier.
Old 2012-04-11, 00:54   Link #3803
Darthtabby

I kind of doubt Yoshino ever wanted to have Sheryl turn into crystal and dissolve, I also don't see a lot of Mana in Sheryl.

Yoshino wrote all of Frontier, not just the second half. He may not have pulled it off with Guilty Crown but he has proven to be a very good character builder in the past, not only with Frontier but also with Mai-HiME, which is a very, very character driven series.

Now as for the second half, in my opinion Sheryl's storyline was excellent, Alto's could have been good if the ending had followed through on the development that had been going on in the preceding episodes, and Ranka's storyline... has some issues. Overall that part of the series was far from perfect but the parts that were good (like the end of Episode 20) were very good and from my point of view the good outweighed the bad. I also think some of the issues with that part of the series had to do with the extremely heavy emphasis that was put on the love triangle.

As for the movie, what role would you have expected them to give a writer like Yoshino other than the role of a screenplay writer?
Old 2012-04-11, 03:38   Link #3804
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Good grief.

Kags, you clearly know very little about how the ideas for an anime come together, so would you please STOP making up things about how Frontier and Guilty Crown were made? PLEASE?

Fact: Kawamori, as creative director of the entire Macross universe, approved everything.

Nothing Yoshino proposed would have made it to the final product if he didn't approve of it or accept it. I have seen no hint ANYWHERE that Kawamori was in any way upset with the work Yoshino did, not in the series, the movies, interviews, radio shows. NOTHING whatsoever.

And trust me, when the people who are meant to have creative control are actually upset with how a project didn't go in the direction they wanted it to, we hear about it. (Most famous case: Code Geass. Based on a couple of interviews I've read, I think the original Eva probably qualifies too.)

Furthermore, Yoshino did the scenario for the 2nd film, which is effectively the equivalent of series composition for the series. Kawamori changed a few things - e.g. he saved a character - and wrote the dialogue for at least the end (from the scene where Alto and Ranka part before the final battle).
Source: Yoshino interview in the Complete Book.

But as I mentioned previously, the ideas for the film came from everywhere! And they were intensely discussed amongst the key staff - Kawamori specifically mentions this in his Complete Book interview!

If Yoshino's role was diminished, it was only because Kawamori wanted to accomplish several things with the ending - which I will not elaborate on because you and a few others won't accept them either way. Once again, there is NOTHING that indicates that Kawamori was upset with Yoshino.

So STOP MAKING THINGS UP!!!

-----

As a final note, I have no idea who had creative control over Guilty Crown: whether it was effectively shared amongst the key staff subject to the original creator's approval (like Frontier) or whether the person who came up with the original concept controlled it the whole way (e.g. Matsumoto Leiji - at least from what I've heard). In the case of Guilty Crown, Aniplex producer Ooyama Ryou and the producer of Production I.G.'s 6th division (プロダクションI.G 6課), Nakatake Tetsuya, were apparently the first two people involved in the project (source: J-wiki article on GC). I think it's highly unlikely that Yoshino had the majority of control over the project, but that's all I'll say about it until I actually get more reliable information about how GC was made - if ever.

And I don't see most of the 'character development problems' that a lot of others seem to have with that series, but this isn't the right forum to discuss it, and I don't have the time.

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

Last edited by karice67; 2012-04-11 at 06:49.
Old 2012-04-11, 13:58   Link #3805
magnuskn

Oh, so Kawamori was ultimately responsible for everything which happened in Frontier? How interesting. ^^
Old 2012-04-12, 00:05   Link #3806
LoveMeKags
#1 Ranka Fan!!

Spoiler for to Karice: leave it alone and let people have nice conversations:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtabby View Post
I kind of doubt Yoshino ever wanted to have Sheryl turn into crystal and dissolve, I also don't see a lot of Mana in Sheryl.
That wasn't entirely what I meant. The fact that it spreads to her brain is much like the information about the virus in GC.

Notice for a moment that both Mana and Sheryl have pink hair. They both play around with the person they have possible affections for. Though Mana is darker in personality, Sheryl has quite a few of her aspects, especially the playful personality. Hey, Sheryl is light-years better than Mana. She ain't psychotic. That's a highlight to me.

Quote:
Now as for the second half, in my opinion Sheryl's storyline was excellent, Alto's could have been good if the ending had followed through on the development that had been going on in the preceding episodes, and Ranka's storyline... has some issues. Overall that part of the series was far from perfect but the parts that were good (like the end of Episode 20) were very good and from my point of view the good outweighed the bad. I also think some of the issues with that part of the series had to do with the extremely heavy emphasis that was put on the love triangle.
I'll break this down a little:

Sheryl's storyline was neat, and it could've been played well, but her character refused to grow. She still was the same person as had been left at episode fifteen, just a little more understanding of her flaws, and slowly understanding her condition. Her personality remained the same from episode fifteen till the end. Then she went in the opposite direction, becoming depressed and emo, making me dislike where they were even taking her character. I may dislike that she's in the triangle but she is a decent character, and for them to take her down the path they chose made me quite upset.

Alto's storyline literally disappointed me. He was pulled along by the plot. Notice how each time Alto made a decision, he had to be confronted first instead of going along with his instincts. Note those major events: Ozma, Sheryl, Yasaburou, and Klan; then a visit to Nanase finalized his choice. They had to be driven by pieces in the plot, not the character himself. And so, his storyline was disappointing.

Ranka's storyline... well you've heard me complain before. The highlight was her confession. But sadly, they decided to take her in the wrong direction, completely ruining her character, which - in her right mind - at the beginning of the series, she never would've gone with the enemy, even if the only option. Then they decided to bring up her past, as if that was the only way to do so, and make her become the enemy. They completely and utterly ruined her character. And, in the final few commentaries, it sounded like Kawamori was upset with it, as if he wanted to change something. Then again, writers always feel that way towards works ("maybe it could've been better this way... or maybe added that... or if she hadn't left... maybe if she hadn't died"), it's natural. But since she was the only character, it was obviously Kawamori disliked where her arc had been taken in particular, as if he hadn't written it in his right mind or if someone else had influenced the idea upon him, not realizing how horrible it would look written out.

Overall, I agree that pieces like Michael's death scene were very heartwrenching and emotional, making them memorable. But a lot of the second half failed to come off as a Macross to me. There wasn't enough physical reality of the situation like past Macross' have done by showing the severity of the situation. Instead, it was like "the calm before the storm." It wasn't really war-like, looking at how they had a week of peace right before the final battle in episode twenty-four through twenty-five. And no one was bothering to question in the series why there were no attacks during that time, nor did anyone wonder what became of those like Ranka, whom were lost. The only person showing some care to this situation was Alto, whom was being pulled along by the plot to believe she was the enemy and that she should die, not realizing that he was being influenced by the wrong people (not bothering to follow his instincts of "Mishima is rather suspicious, as Ozma once said to me").

I had a lot of irritations about the second half.

Perhaps we should discuss this more, I'd love to hear more details on what you, as well, liked or disliked about the second half.

Quote:
As for the movie, what role would you have expected them to give a writer like Yoshino other than the role of a screenplay writer?
No, actually; I expected him to be like a second in command to the directing. Since he was a writer in the series, I expected him to be like a secondary writer in the movies. But he wasn't. So, shockingly enough, I was looking at it and being shocked; like Kawamori had been displeased with something Yoshino had done.

And on the subject of influences, I want to make one thing very clear: just because Kawamori approved of things in the series did not mean they weren't influence. Considering what I stated above about the plotline with Ranka, it is quite possible that Kawamori was inspired by someone or something and decided to write it out, not realizing where the characters would head, and then instantly disliked it upon watching it back. It isn't too far a stretch to say that Yoshino might've influenced that, as he was about the only person working personally with Kawamori on the project. That doesn't mean he was against it. Certain writers do that. They write out what they're thinking about and stick to it, then later look back and flip out at realizing how stupid it sounds or how idiotic the scenes seem. And then they want to rewrite it. I know; I've done so countless times with many stories, even those which I publish. And almost all the time, the entire story is rewritten. In Frontier's case, this shows well; as we start out with mostly the series storyline in the first movie, and then ends with a completely different story in the second movie, falling away from everything in the second half of Frontier.

Regardless if Yoshino truly influenced Kawamori or not; someone did, and he didn't like what he'd written in the series nor how it ended, so he decided to completely remake the storyline from the halfway point till the end with the same plot just in a different direction, and left out anyone being sacrificed to the enemy (as in leaving with them). I think that alone shows he was disgusted with what he wrote, regardless if it was just him or if he'd gotten cooperation with Yoshino.
Old 2012-04-12, 00:24   Link #3807
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
You know, Tak is going to kill you for that comment.

Oh honey, you have no idea...

Unfortunately, I am forbidden to reveal further details...

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2012-04-12, 02:18   Link #3808
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

@LMK
Right, so you know about Western film/TV making. What do you know about the production of Japanese anime? More specifically, what do you know about the production of Frontier or Guilty Crown? Based on what you've written here, especially compared to what the creators actually say in their interviews, not much.

What matters to me, personally, is that I make sure other people reading this know that.

Oh, and I'll keep calling out anyone who bashes any of the creators on flimsy reasons that are clearly unsupported.

So specifically, here's some of the stuff you're making up this time.

Quote:
A good example is how (Yoshino) handled the triangle in particular. Instead of going along with building the characters anymore, he decided to have Ranka leave Frontier, as if Sheryl wouldn't have won any other way. This was something that Kawamori disliked, as he spoke sadly of it in the commentary.
So...where did Kawamori say that he disliked this development? And where was it said that Yoshino was the one who had Ranka leave Frontier?

Quote:
The fact is, in the second half of Frontier, all the characters were pulled by the plot rather than choosing their own paths away from the writers. Therefore, it was easy to tell which person wrote which part of the story.
Huh? Logical gap, much?

And are you absolutely sure that they didn't discuss this? That Yoshino put up all the ideas that were used in the 2nd half of the series as opposed to, say, Kawamori, or Kikuchi, or someone else, proposing them?

Prove it.

Quote:
However, when Yoshino took over for episode fifteen and onward, the growth all stopped.
Yoshino took over? Really? Prove it.

And no, it is not proof to say that the 'supposed' result (i.e. the fact that you think the characterization failed from this point onwards - which a lot of people here should disagree with you on, anyway) means that Yoshino had clearly taken over.

Quote:
No, no; that's not what I meant. He doesn't even have an association with the composition of the movie. It was shocking but his role was downplayed, as if Kawamori was pissed at what the ending of the series had been. I think he wanted to remove Yoshino from having anymore involvement with the characters he'd grown to perfection, as he wanted his ending.
He didn't? Really? Once again, prove it.

And the ending to the series? Yoshino specifically said that EVERYONE came to the idea of 'Alto not choosing' around the same time.

So how do you know that this was Yoshino's idea, and not Kawamori's, or Kikuchi's, or someone else's?

Again, prove it.

Quote:
That doesn't mean Yoshino might not have given ideas that Kawamori might've taken (like the flashback of Alto and Sheryl to help compensate for the time--never mind they spent four months together, I mean; ain't that enough if you wanted to hook them up--but no, apparently, we needed a flashback because we didn't think they were in love yet, which meant Ranka would win by default and it would piss a lot of people off), but it means his role was nowhere near how it was with Frontier.
And how do you know this wasn't actually Kawamori's idea?

I have never denied that Yoshino had an influence on Frontier. But I never go so far as to say he was responsible for something in particular unless I have proof of it (e.g. Klan's micronised form, or the "You are both my wings" line).

You, however, are saying that all the things you don't agree with resulted specifically because Yoshino was involved. How do you know that?

Oh, and this too.
Quote:
Regardless if Yoshino truly influenced Kawamori or not; someone did, and he didn't like what he'd written in the series nor how it ended, so he decided to completely remake the storyline from the halfway point till the end with the same plot just in a different direction, and left out anyone being sacrificed to the enemy (as in leaving with them). I think that alone shows he was disgusted with what he wrote, regardless if it was just him or if he'd gotten cooperation with Yoshino.
Are you sure that's true? Could there possibly be another reason, primarily creative - or several, for that matter - for the changes??

-------

I've asked you to offer proof for quite a few things here. As I noted in my last PM to you, what...three months ago(?), whether you choose to find that proof or not is up to you. In fact, if you can offer any such proof, I - and everyone else here - would be happy to accept it. We're always eager to learn as much as we can about Frontier, provided that it is true.

But if you can't prove something, I'll continue to say that it was just made-up. Just like when you said that Kawamori hired Endo Aya because he didn't like May'n's acting.

And conjecture that bashes one of the creators without good reason? I'll keep calling you - and anyone else - out on that.

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

Last edited by karice67; 2012-04-12 at 04:30.
Old 2012-04-12, 22:05   Link #3809
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

I'm going to step in here and remind everyone BEFORE things get out of hand again, that if you can't stay civil in your discussions, I can promise that you will earn a three day ban on the spot (or longer if you have the points). Be mindful of that, and if you can't be civil, don't post.

Thank you.
Old 2012-04-12, 22:39   Link #3810
relentlessflame

*Administrator

I'm going to be even harsher than that: can't you guys just shut up? You've been going on and on about the very same points for almost a year now. Surely you don't think "maybe this time they'll understand why I'm right".

So this goes for all of you in this little gang that perpetuates this pointless war: if you post again and carry on this pointless argument on this forum, you will be permanently banned. Enough is enough. Move on with your lives or, if you must, take it elsewhere. You've all derailed this thread for long enough.
Old 2012-04-12, 23:28   Link #3811
LoveMeKags
#1 Ranka Fan!!

^
Hey, don't blame me, I was having a nice discussion with the others here until karice showed up and decided to start the war. I gave my one and only answer to him. I wasn't intending on responding again. I have long let go of the flames regarding shipping and have now simmered down. I'm sure others can vouch for that fact now.

---

Back on subject, I'd love to hear things you disliked about the movie, Darthtabby. Uh, would you prefer I call you that or Darth or Tabby? It's up to you.

---

As for your words Tak, I knew you'd get my meaning.

----

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heibi View Post
I agree. No matter your opinion, or whether you liked or disliked the movie, I and many could care less about who wrote it or approved the script. I thought it was well done and the movie was very good. I like the changes that made the movie different from the TV release. They created a good storyline that made me and many others enjoy this adaptation of the TV series. So relax and enjoy the ride. You needn't win an argument to like the show. And if you didn't like the show just say so and leave it at that.
Actually, you kinda have it wrong. A few others and myself were discussing things we'd liked and disliked about the movie with comparison to the series and the similarities it holds to GC, a recent series Yoshino (the series composition for Frontier) was involved in. And whilst the discussion was mutual, calm, and rather enjoyable for most (like myself and Darthtabby), like usual someone had to come in and try to rile up a war. However, besides my one reply, I have no intention of furthering that person's need to battle. If that person dislikes my views or words, so be it. He can simply move on. I could care less about arguing over a matter that is long dead, as I have changed and also calmed down since the movies ended.

The only thing I did not appreciate one bit is when he, in a fancy manner, called me stupid; and so, whilst narrowing every other response down, I solely remarked to that one in particular.

Right now, Frontier is not on my number one spot, as I've become more interested in other series. I also have a large re-watch list, in which I've already gone through Frontier, and now am on Rurouni Kenshin, and others like Sailor Moon; in order to give myself some inspiration for editing and fanfiction. I'm sure a lot of the others here can vouch that I have not been rude or angry in quite a while on this forum. I have left that flame behind me.

Then again, look at what shipping can do to everyone here? It's not just me.

Last edited by LoveMeKags; 2012-04-12 at 23:41. Reason: to avoid a double post
Old 2012-04-12, 23:31   Link #3812
Heibi
Ancient Fansubber
*Fansubber

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
I'm going to be even harsher than that: can't you guys just shut up? You've been going on and on about the very same points for almost a year now. Surely you don't think "maybe this time they'll understand why I'm right".

So this goes for all of you in this little gang that perpetuates this pointless war: if you post again and carry on this pointless argument on this forum, you will be permanently banned. Enough is enough. Move on with your lives or, if you must, take it elsewhere. You've all derailed this thread for long enough.
I agree. No matter your opinion, or whether you liked or disliked the movie, I and many could care less about who wrote it or approved the script. I thought it was well done and the movie was very good. I like the changes that made the movie different from the TV release. They created a good storyline that made me and many others enjoy this adaptation of the TV series. So relax and enjoy the ride. You needn't win an argument to like the show. And if you didn't like the show just say so and leave it at that.
Old 2012-04-13, 00:57   Link #3813
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
If that person dislikes my views or words, so be it. He can simply move on. I could care less about arguing over a matter that is long dead, as I have changed and also calmed down since the movies ended.
Just want to say: arguing about why you were arguing is not much better. Please, let's all just let it go. If you really want to clarify amongst each other about it, then go to VM or PM. I hope to see no more related conversations in this thread from any of you involved.
Old 2012-04-13, 06:39   Link #3814
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Did we need to know that? Really?

As for the movie... My copy has arrived. Last Frontier is pure win, even if I can't understand much of what's going on. Oh, what I wouldn't give for a release with subs...

Old 2012-04-13, 22:43   Link #3815
LoveMeKags
#1 Ranka Fan!!

^
Blame Harmony Gold for that.

However, it would be nice if 3rd parties would take it up. But since 90% of the fileshare services have stopped, don't get those hopes too high. And this is Macross... so it isn't very popular.
Old 2012-04-14, 05:33   Link #3816
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Quote:
And this is Macross... so it isn't very popular.
I beg to differ. Strongly.
Nostalgics alone could support these in other countries. And that's not even counting mech aficionados. But it seems we'll never know...

Old 2012-04-14, 08:29   Link #3817
LoveMeKags
#1 Ranka Fan!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
I beg to differ. Strongly.
Nostalgics alone could support these in other countries. And that's not even counting mech aficionados. But it seems we'll never know...
Perhaps I should elaborate more: compared to other series, it isn't popular.

SDF and Plus were the most popular ones in their respective years. However, that popularity has lessened over the years. As of right now, Frontier is the most popular one to date, and that is mostly due to the hot cast (or Sheryl in particular).

Notice for a moment that Frontier is not released in the U.S. yet it is more popular than most streaming series right now. Yet ones like SDF and Plus that were released into the U.S. whether with English dub or not aren't as popular.

The two less popular series are barely known by most that have watched Macross. Zero barely got an audience at all. And Seven is only mostly known for its music rather than its series.

Now, if Frontier would just come to the U.S. as a sub only, then it would be the most popular mecha show to come from the shores of Japan!

(Not to mention the fanservice.)
Old 2012-08-09, 13:06   Link #3818
angel8

Sheryl eventually wakes from his coma? True? And the cartoons in the credits, say how it went ahead with the story?
And this scene: Subtitles and a cut-scene at the end shows Ranka visiting the comatose Sheryl and saying "Alto-kun, please come back.
Then Sheryl-san will wake up." Sheryl sheds a tear and sings softly in her coma.
The ED is Sheryl and Ranka singing together.
There is only in the dvd Extras?
Old 2012-08-09, 13:49   Link #3819
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

I want to be positive and believe they survive at the end. If the ED credit serve any indication, especially when Sheryl said "if you believe, miracles would happen", then yes, I believe they are alive and well.

Of course, I could always use the official artbook as a reference (where Sheryl waking up in the infirmary with Alto at her side)... or the VF-25 masterfiles, indicating that they are touring the colony.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2012-08-09, 13:50   Link #3820
LoveMeKags
#1 Ranka Fan!!

^
No, but there is a glimmer of hope in Sheryl's glittering earring and moving mouth during the credits...

Did you actual watch it?

No; there are no extras no matter how hard you look on the Internet. The BD only has interviews and such. The next Macross will tell you the answer.

Tags
mecha, movie, romance, science fiction, song