Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2013-03-15, 19:48   Link #12821
Wolfenstein

Oh, wow.

Ok, that was actually pretty good.
Old 2013-03-16, 01:30   Link #12822
Sol Falling

That would be pretty stupid, because Zen explicitly said "it's time for me to change" and it's clear this is character development.

Anyway, as I've said frequently, there are no constants with regards to this series. Every aspect of Medaka (her box, her motivation, her being the strongest or being unable to understand other humans) has been deconstructed enough, now it is finally time to deconstruct Zenkichi's devotion to her. Let's put an end to the sickeningly cliche shounen romance between them. The infantile interdependency of Medaka and Zenkichi's relationship has been since the start one of the very worst aspects of their characters.

(You guys should realize this is only a start, right? Zen was long ago put on this path when Ajimu helped him self-realize and get over his obsession with "protecting" Medaka, this chapter does not actually represent a major development for him. However, a major aspect of Medaka's character which she has never addressed or been pushed to develop away from is her emotional dependency on Zen. This is one of the major flaws of her character -- her inability to stand up to the loneliness of the universe, the challenge of communicating with other humans, by herself. This chapter and this development is a trigger for that. What I'm saying is that what we will be getting is an arc about Medaka getting over Zen. (Though it might not be an entire arc, Nishio could probably address all the development in a single chapter if he wanted to.))

Last edited by Sol Falling; 2013-03-16 at 03:24.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-16, 03:12   Link #12823
Iby
minority spirit(?)
*Fansubber

Send a message via ICQ to Iby
Does this one work?
Spoiler for pic:

Anyways if you'll ask me I haven't seen any signs of Zen stopping to love Medaka. Yes, he wants to change but entirely for her sake/to be with her as an equal.

Last edited by Iby; 2013-03-16 at 08:28.
Iby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-16, 06:49   Link #12824
Insert_Gel

Don't worry about what Sol Falling said. He's being delusional again Since he badly wants ZenxMedaka relationship to end so that his Kumagawa will have a shot to Medaka.
Insert_Gel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-16, 12:59   Link #12825
Wolfenstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iby View Post
Yes, he wants to change but entirely for her sake/to be with her as an equal.
No.

Just - no.

Sorry, that's not what happened in the manga.

Him rejecting her right now has nothing to do with bettering himself for her, much less for her sake. He explicitly states that he's no longer a guy who loves Medaka to the point that just being besides her will satisfy him, hence why he's changing, to living his own life - which he's having fun in, by the way - from simply being besides her.

Just being with her dosen't make the cut for him anymore. Plain and simple. So he's not going to abandon his life for that, which resulted in that rejection.

Is it a sign that their love isn't as important to him as it used to be? Yeah. Dosen't mean he stopped loving her, just that his love for her dosen't take precedence over his own life anymore. Sign of, you know, development. Maturity.

Please, let's not get that wrong.
Old 2013-03-16, 13:12   Link #12826
Iby
minority spirit(?)
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfenstein View Post
Him rejecting her right now has nothing to do with bettering himself for her, much less for her sake.
Spoiler for pic:
Old 2013-03-16, 13:24   Link #12827
Wolfenstein

Thank you for proving my point.

Where, pray tell, does it say that he's changing himself for her sake, or to be with her in this chapter?

That's right. It dosen't. Because he's changing himself so he can be a person who isn't so dependant on his love, like Hanten. Why? Because he's having fun living his current life.

In-fact, it explicitly says he's changing himself, from someone like Hanten, who would've accepted the request because all that he wanted was to be with her, to someone who dosen't - someone who isn't satisfied anymore by just being with Medaka, and wants to live his own life instead of sacrificing what he wants to do.

Like it or not, his character just grew out of his ridiculous and overblown dependency on Medaka's love.

This lack of nuance is seriously ridiculous. It's as if people think everything Zenkichi does is for love, when that's a disservice to his character in this chapter. Sorry for being so blunt, but that's just the way it is, it's an extremely myopic view.

Since when Sol and I agree on something, that's gotta be right.
Old 2013-03-16, 13:37   Link #12828
KleenexGhost
Riding the Ange Express

I really dig the fact that Zen is trying to become his own man and walk down his own path. Medaka has changed now it's his turn to change and better himself. Him rejecting Medaka did hurt, just look at his face to see that. He still loves her but he needs to do his own thing. For now at least.

Now the question is how long will it stick?

I really wanna see what Nisio does with Nienami. Especially since he's teasing that she's Ajimu or has some connection to her.
Old 2013-03-16, 13:41   Link #12829
Wolfenstein

Hopefully he can just fully outgrow his love for her and start loving someone decent. Like Nienami Shiranui or Emukae.

What? People can dream.
Old 2013-03-16, 13:45   Link #12830
zigantz22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
That would be pretty stupid, because Zen explicitly said "it's time for me to change" and it's clear this is character development.

Anyway, as I've said frequently, there are no constants with regards to this series. Every aspect of Medaka (her box, her motivation, her being the strongest or being unable to understand other humans) has been deconstructed enough, now it is finally time to deconstruct Zenkichi's devotion to her. Let's put an end to the sickeningly cliche shounen romance between them. The infantile interdependency of Medaka and Zenkichi's relationship has been since the start one of the very worst aspects of their characters.

(You guys should realize this is only a start, right? Zen was long ago put on this path when Ajimu helped him self-realize and get over his obsession with "protecting" Medaka, this chapter does not actually represent a major development for him. However, a major aspect of Medaka's character which she has never addressed or been pushed to develop away from is her emotional dependency on Zen. This is one of the major flaws of her character -- her inability to stand up to the loneliness of the universe, the challenge of communicating with other humans, by herself. This chapter and this development is a trigger for that. What I'm saying is that what we will be getting is an arc about Medaka getting over Zen. (Though it might not be an entire arc, Nishio could probably address all the development in a single chapter if he wanted to.))
The one thing I'm sure of in regards to Medaka x Zen's relationship, is that Medaka will never stop loving Zenkichi. It's just not a possibility for her. Of course, it's also not a possibility for Zenkichi, but that's been well-stated. But, by all means, continue to think that this is going to happen, merely so that, if it did, you would be able to once again start up with the whole "Kumagawa x Medaka are obviously going to become a couple", but, as most everyone knows, none of that is going to happen. Also, if you actually read Medaka's words in this chapter as she was saying goodbye to Zenkichi, you would understand that her love for Zen is deeper than you are willing to admit. No one gets over someone they have loved since the age of two in one small arc. If it didn't happen in the first 186 chapters, it's definitely not going to happen as the manga is nearing its end.They're simply going to become better and more individualistic people, primarily Zenkichi, at which point, upon reuniting with one another, they will inevitably come closer to the marriage that has been one of the most defined foreshadowings in the entire story up to this point.

Her love for Zenkichi, though very sporadically noticeable, is one of the only elements of her characterization that actually relates her to the humanistic nature of the world. If she were to unrealistically shed that particular inclinnation, she'd only be more ridiculously alienated from actual depth.

Quote:
Thank you for proving my point.

Where, pray tell, does it say that he's changing himself for her sake, or to be with her in this chapter?

That's right. It dosen't. Because he's changing himself so he can be a person who isn't so dependant on his love, like Hanten. Why? Because he's having fun living his current life.

In-fact, it explicitly says he's changing himself, from someone like Hanten, who would've accepted the request because all that he wanted was to be with her, to someone who dosen't - someone who isn't satisfied anymore by just being with Medaka, and wants to live his own life instead of sacrificing what he wants to do.

Like it or not, his character just grew out of his ridiculous and overblown dependency on Medaka's love.

This lack of nuance is seriously ridiculous. It's as if people think everything Zenkichi does is for love, when that's a disservice to his character in this chapter. Sorry for being so blunt, but that's just the way it is, it's an extremely myopic view.

Since when Sol and I agree on something, that's gotta be right.
I completely agree about his disdain for ever being similar to Hanten, but that doesn't indicate that his love for Medaka has diminished at all, only that it's thankfully changed into something far more mature. He realizes that he'll only be able to grow and become someone who's life isn't solely determined by his love for Medaka with this decision to temporarily be separated from her side, but he's also obviously aware that it's not permanent, or else their conversation would have likely been considerably more dramatic.
zigantz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-16, 13:48   Link #12831
KleenexGhost
Riding the Ange Express

I like each of those girls more than Medaka. Throw Naze in there for a little fun.
Old 2013-03-16, 13:48   Link #12832
Insert_Gel

Quote:
What? People can dream.
Of course. It's not bad to dream to please yourself
Insert_Gel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-16, 13:49   Link #12833
Iby
minority spirit(?)
*Fansubber

Well I wasn't proving your opinion. You said that he didn't decide it because of Medaka but what I'm pointing out that he decided to do this because Medaka did that first, so he's just following her example. That's how I'm seeing it at least.
Old 2013-03-16, 13:49   Link #12834
Wolfenstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by zigantz22 View Post
I completely agree about his disdain for ever being similar to Hanten, but that doesn't indicate that his love for Medaka has diminished at all, only that it's thankfully changed into something far more mature. He realizes that he'll only be able to grow and become someone who's life isn't solely determined by his love for Medaka with this decision to temporarily be separated from her side, but he's also obviously aware that it's not permanent, or else their conversation would have likely been considerably more dramatic.
Cool. I'm glad that you realize that Zenkichi's not doing this for love, or to better himself for her, but simply because he wants to live his own life for a while, have some time for himself, grow from his dependancy.

That's what I think is important that we - all of us - get straight.

I consider it more mature because he's no longer just satisified simply being with Medaka, and in all ways, he is starting to value his own life, what he wants to do, more than her love. One could consider that a diminish of the importance of her love for him, being that before it was the opposite, and that's what I meant.

It's a good thing, it's maturity and development.

Of course, it dosen't mean he dosen't love her, more than likely still does. They'll probably still end up toguether, as much as I, personally, dislike the idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iby
You said that he didn't decide it because of Medaka but what I'm pointing at is that he decided to do this because Medaka did that first, so he's just following her example. That's how I'm seeing it at least.
That's not what you were arguing.

You said that his motivation for changing is because he wants to be better for Medaka's sake/to be by her side.

That's what was erroneous about you said. Because that's not his motivation, as me and Zigs have just discussed. His motivation for changing is to live his own life and follow his own path, currently.
It's got nothing to do with love or even both of them as a couple. It's about Zenkichi stopping being depedant and move on with his life.

Medaka changed from someone who would self-sacrifice what she wanted to do for what she thought she had to.

Likewise, Zenkichi thinks it's time he changed from an aspect similar to that.

Which means growing out of his need for Medaka's love, like he said. Dosen't mean he's eliminated it - It's just no longer what satisfies his soul and being beyond everyone and everything else in his life combined.

Last edited by Wolfenstein; 2013-03-16 at 14:23.
Wolfenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-16, 13:52   Link #12835
Gundamx

It sux to be Medaka >>> dump twice ( from her point of view ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchi Hou Take View Post
I don't know why but Zenkichi's face when he says I'm no longer satisfied by just being by her side reminds me of the Soul eater Excalibur face. It's basically like he just saw his future and went nope fuck that.
Excalibur say hi:
Spoiler for Excalibur:
Gundamx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-16, 13:54   Link #12836
KleenexGhost
Riding the Ange Express

I personally just wanna see Zenkichi become his own man and develop himself.
Old 2013-03-16, 14:01   Link #12837
Iby
minority spirit(?)
*Fansubber

Though after rereading the last pages I believe that talking about how "Medaka-chan is running forward" and that "I need to do something too" was just an example. Still I can't see him stopping to love her. It's just about a time he has left working at a student council. Once it's over they'll marry of course. That Black-something arc wasn't there for nothing.
So yeah, I guess people can continue dreaming about other pairings and such
Old 2013-03-16, 14:03   Link #12838
Wolfenstein

I was never saying that he's stopped loving her, or that he will(even though I want him to).

I'm just pointing out that his life, what he wants to do at the moment, now takes precedence over his need for her love, when it used to be the other way around. That's his change.

And that's a huge development for him. He's matured deeply ever since "The day the moon dissapeared", since now, he's sure that Medaka has recovered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gel
Of course. It's not bad to dream to please yourself
Hey, that's what fanfiction exists for!

Last edited by Wolfenstein; 2013-03-16 at 14:33.
Wolfenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-16, 14:54   Link #12839
Sol Falling

Quote:
Originally Posted by zigantz22 View Post
The one thing I'm sure of in regards to Medaka x Zen's relationship, is that Medaka will never stop loving Zenkichi. It's just not a possibility for her. Of course, it's also not a possibility for Zenkichi, but that's been well-stated. But, by all means, continue to think that this is going to happen, merely so that, if it did, you would be able to once again start up with the whole "Kumagawa x Medaka are obviously going to become a couple", but, as most everyone knows, none of that is going to happen. Also, if you actually read Medaka's words in this chapter as she was saying goodbye to Zenkichi, you would understand that her love for Zen is deeper than you are willing to admit. No one gets over someone they have loved since the age of two in one small arc. If it didn't happen in the first 186 chapters, it's definitely not going to happen as the manga is nearing its end.They're simply going to become better and more individualistic people, primarily Zenkichi, at which point, upon reuniting with one another, they will inevitably come closer to the marriage that has been one of the most defined foreshadowings in the entire story up to this point.
The one thing you are sure of is a troll, lol. What makes you so sure there's anything you can always believe in or count on? At the start of the manga, we might have thought "there's no way Medaka will ever stop believing she's meant to help people", right? Or "there's no way Medaka will ever lose to her enemies". Etc. etc. There are so many basic fundamental premises in this series which have been overturned, what makes you think Medaka's 'love'/dependence on Zen is an exception?

Quote:
Her love for Zenkichi, though very sporadically noticeable, is one of the only elements of her characterization that actually relates her to the humanistic nature of the world. If she were to unrealistically shed that particular inclinnation, she'd only be more ridiculously alienated from actual depth.
'Realistic' != depth. Medaka's strength and intelligence is unrealistic in the first place. For such an unrealistic existence, it is actually more realistic for them to become similarly emotionally independent. The 'human depth' that Medaka should have as a character should be the human depth of actual human 'geniuses', not 'humanity' in the sense that panders to the understanding of your average neanderthalic shounen reader.

There are no actual Medaka fans who like her solely for her rare moments of showing dependency on Zen. Not only would they be missing out on the majority of her meaningful characterization, but the idea of reducing a human to that in the very first place is utterly sickening.

Quote:
The conversation was pretty damned dramatic. Zenkichi has previously defined his entire existence as "the one who will never leave Medaka's side". Medaka had also previously taken for granted "I will never be lonely (despite this being my greatest fear), because Zenkichi will always catch up to me". With Zenkichi refusing Medaka's expectation that he would go with her, he has changed the entire fundamental basis of their relationship. He has abandoned the sole fundamental reason why Medaka 'loved'/was emotionally dependent on him in the first place. Medaka and Zenkichi's "goodbye" could very certainly develop into a permanent one, because there is precisely nothing holding their relationship together anymore.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-16, 15:29   Link #12840
ccie20012

You are not correct (in my opinion) are interpreting the word Zen.
He spoke - "like Hanten-san".
Who is Hanten Shiranui? For Ajimu. Maybe it's her boyfriend? Maybe this is her fiance?
No, no, no.
I think after this arc Zen x Medaka relationship will become stronger.
In general, because Medaka - is the main character. She has a small "man's" character. And Zen now a little tsundere.
ccie20012 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, comedy, harem, nishio, romance, shounen, student council