AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Macross - Episode 2 Rating
Perfect 10 76 44.97%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 57 33.73%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 28 16.57%
7 out of 10 : Good 4 2.37%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 0.59%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.59%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.59%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.59%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-04-16, 16:20   Link #241
iamandragon
Martian diplomat

Send a message via ICQ to iamandragon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
This is just like reading "I'm a fan of DBZ but I don't remember many scenes with a Kamehameha being used in it." That's how much they use that knife in FMP.... at least you tried to justify your low score even if you missed so much obvious stuff.
That's why I apologize--if possible I'd like to adjust my vote to 7 after every thing has been explained...someone call for an admin?
Old 2008-04-16, 16:27   Link #242
ChronoReverse

Ah, it's alright, I don't think a score is a big issue =)

Sorry for jumping on your back, but I get a bit emotional about Macross
Old 2008-04-16, 16:55   Link #243
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamandragon View Post
That's why I apologize--if possible I'd like to adjust my vote to 7 after every thing has been explained...someone call for an admin?
Your forgiven. Being a first-time macross watcher isn't easy.

To be honest it was nice to see criticism for things a seasoned Macross watcher takes for granted.

Mind you a lot of your concerns should of been addressed in the Q&A thread, which i would of happily answered for you.

In the end, if you find Macross Frontier difficult to understand, it is advised that you watch some of the earlier series and research its rich history of the macross universe.
Old 2008-04-16, 17:56   Link #244
iamandragon
Martian diplomat

I sure will--I've watched a few clips and goddess! The music of Macross is beautiful. From what I have seen, it seems like songs plays a big part in Macross--is it because of the individual singer, or the aliens simply hate music?
Old 2008-04-16, 18:37   Link #245
Light Yagami

I liked this episode.

My fav part was when Sheryl & Ranka were together singing the ED theme.

Anyway, I'm a Macross newbie (since I've only seen the original Macross... I still haven't watched Macross PLUS and Macross 7 - but I plan to do it in the next weeks-)

Goodbye (^^)v
Old 2008-04-16, 19:58   Link #246
King Lycan
User Title eaten by ravenous bunnies
*IT Support

umm yea I love this episode it was awesome .. i also love the music in this series I'm addicted to the show all ready..but this is my first Macross so yea but i do plan on watching the other Macross'es
Old 2008-04-16, 20:54   Link #247
cerrian

Quote:
I sure will--I've watched a few clips and goddess! The music of Macross is beautiful. From what I have seen, it seems like songs plays a big part in Macross--is it because of the individual singer, or the aliens simply hate music?
The simple answer is that music has always been one of the central themes. How it is employed has varied with each series, OVAs and manga. In the original Macross, the music and songs were used a plot devices to move the story forward. From defining a character (Minmay becoming a pop idol) to using music as a weapon of war.

Macross 7 I believe was the only Macross show to heavily emphasis music a weapon of war.

Macross Zero downplayed the importance of music in its storyline but it was still used as a plot device to create a link between humans and aliens.

Macross Plus heavily used music to create the backdrop which the storyline played against. It was also used to define key characters and their relationships. Unlike the others, it never used music as a weapon.

So in short, the music of the Macross franchise has always been more than just background music and OP/ED. It has always been a tool in some shape or form that the storylines have revolved around. One thing you can count on though, is that music is going to be very good. It has established a legacy of doing so and will likely to continue. From what we've seen of Macross Frontier so far, it is heading in a similar direction as Macross Plus....but it is too early to say for sure.
Old 2008-04-17, 00:11   Link #248
Shouta
Infinite-Zero/Translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerrian View Post
Macross 7 I believe was the only Macross show to heavily emphasis music a weapon of war.
Music is used as a weapon of war in the original Macross as well. The difference between Mac7 and the original in that regard is that Mac7 took it to a ridiculous extreme with streams showing the projection of actual song energy.

The more important difference is that Mac7 is the one Macross series that stresses the importance of music as it relates to the spirit of people. It affects us in different ways, bringing us out of slumps, bringing us together, and even repelling us as a few examples.
Old 2008-04-17, 04:22   Link #249
KidKaBOOM
Master of Cheese

Send a message via AIM to KidKaBOOM
7 reference in Frontier

I love how Basara's song is playing during that one car scene. That song is forever burnt into my mind after watching Macross 7.
Old 2008-04-17, 11:38   Link #250
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidKaBOOM View Post
I love how Basara's song is playing during that one car scene. That song is forever burnt into my mind after watching Macross 7.
I liked macross 7 in a casual way, the only time i was moved was in the final battle, now that is a kickarse way for music to save the universe.

Old 2008-04-17, 13:09   Link #251
rpgman1

I guess the Macross series is overwhelmed by other popular series like Code Geass. Sad really though, I've watched Macross probably when I was probably only eight. The only series I haven't watch was Macross 7. I always thought music and character development are the main emphasis of the Macross series and war is only secondary.
Old 2008-04-17, 14:56   Link #252
iamandragon
Martian diplomat

I just finished watching episode 2, and found this screenshot really funny...

What's she holding? Surely not a magic staff, but it sure does look like one:
Old 2008-04-17, 14:58   Link #253
Realist_Classic
Casual prosumer of anime

Not sure, but I thought it was her sunglasses. Swung at Alto with great prejudice, however
Old 2008-04-17, 15:20   Link #254
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
So I pretty much waited almost a week to do this, but better late than never I suppose. Episode 02 Hard Chase Is Up.

Well the first part was a hard chase, the second part a goofy chase and the last part a hard chase again. One thing I noticed is that this episode arguably has more pretty boy moments and light fanservice then all of Gundam 00 combinded, which is something that series took a lot of flack for for some reason. Doesn't bother me a bit, I just find the arguably more subdued reaction to it in Macross a somewhat dubious.

A pretty good episode if a little goofy and out there at times and worth of a 7.5 rounded down to a 7 after a coin toss.
Old 2008-04-17, 15:39   Link #255
Westlo
Lets be reality

I tried posting on your blog but it says I'm posting too quickly even though it was my first post their in months... so I'll post here..

Since you seem to be annoyed at people calling out Gundam00/Code Geass for stuff and not Macross... well when you have 2-4 times more people watching those 2 shows instead of Macross that tends to happen. And you know a lot of the whiners for Gundam 00 where just pathetic C.E fans with an agenda trying to make 00 look bad so their "precious" series looks better. Sorta like how Geass has picked up a lot of Gundam 00 fans that are pissed it went on a break are a whining because of that. which is hilarious sicne 00 is following the same model as Geass in respected Otaku director + pretty boy characters designs does a 50 episode series split into 2 seasons.

Quote:
Ozma seems almost ashamed of his occupation and I wonder if he thinks Ranka would lose respect for him if she found out he was a hot-blooded soldier.
I thought this was obvious even before Ranka mentioned it to Sheryl, she was worried about him being a pilot because it's dangerous. Nothing to do with being ashamed or losing respect.

Last edited by Westlo; 2008-04-17 at 15:50.
Old 2008-04-17, 16:06   Link #256
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

he told a white lie, so that she won't worry about him.

so obviously if she found out....she would worry and get sick.

worry = physical sickness. its the anime rule

:3
Old 2008-04-17, 16:33   Link #257
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
I tried posting on your blog but it says I'm posting too quickly even though it was my first post their in months... so I'll post here..

Since you seem to be annoyed at people calling out Gundam00/Code Geass for stuff and not Macross... well when you have 2-4 times more people watching those 2 shows instead of Macross that tends to happen. And you know a lot of the whiners for Gundam 00 where just pathetic C.E fans with an agenda trying to make 00 look bad so their "precious" series looks better. Sorta like how Geass has picked up a lot of Gundam 00 fans that are pissed it went on a break are a whining because of that. which is hilarious sicne 00 is following the same model as Geass in respected Otaku director + pretty boy characters designs does a 50 episode series split into 2 seasons.

I thought this was obvious even before Ranka mentioned it to Sheryl, she was worried about him being a pilot because it's dangerous. Nothing to do with being ashamed or losing respect.
Posting too quickly? That's bizarre, I don't have you anywhere marked as spam accidentally so I'm not sure what's going on.

As for my thoughts, I give them as I'm watching the episode and make predictions based on how I feel as I am viewing for the first time. That way I give the impression of someone muddling throw things as they are unfolding. At the time I hadn't actually heard any of Ranka's talks with her brother so I gave my best guess based on how Ozma seemed to feel about it.

I still think she might be disappointed and hurt once she finds out that the whole office job is a sham.

As for the Gundam 00/Code Geass scenario, it's just the mecha version of the More Clannad versus Moar Haruhi debates raging in the moe community. You'd think some people would have grown up and realized that the world doesn't necessarily revolve around their desires and that they have to share a studios time to work on a show for a different section of fans once in a while by bowing out. Luckily since I like both I don't really care, nor do I think I would even if I didn't like one or the other.
Old 2008-04-17, 18:04   Link #258
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
Posting too quickly? That's bizarre, I don't have you anywhere marked as spam accidentally so I'm not sure what's going on.
Works now!

Quote:
As for the Gundam 00/Code Geass scenario, it's just the mecha version of the More Clannad versus Moar Haruhi debates raging in the moe community. You'd think some people would have grown up and realized that the world doesn't necessarily revolve around their desires and that they have to share a studios time to work on a show for a different section of fans once in a while by bowing out. Luckily since I like both I don't really care, nor do I think I would even if I didn't like one or the other.
Yeah it's pretty pathetic in both situations isn't it.
Old 2008-04-17, 18:39   Link #259
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
I just finished watching episode 2, and found this screenshot really funny...

What's she holding? Surely not a magic staff, but it sure does look like one:
I knew it wasn't possible but honestly thought she was pointing a magic staff at him for a second. Still a pretty funny moment .
Old 2008-04-17, 18:43   Link #260
Westlo
Lets be reality

Lucky for Alto she didn't go "Raging heart burst mode!" I think I got the mode name wrong but it's been a long time since I last watched any Nanoha
Closed Thread