AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Toradora!

Notices

View Poll Results: Toradora! - Episode 25 (END) Rating
Perfect 10 263 62.17%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 68 16.08%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 37 8.75%
7 out of 10 : Good 23 5.44%
6 out of 10 : Average 12 2.84%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 3 0.71%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.24%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.24%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.24%
1 out of 10 : Painful 14 3.31%
Voters: 423. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-03-27, 01:57   Link #301
Nenkitsune

Send a message via AIM to Nenkitsune Send a message via Yahoo to Nenkitsune
Quote:
Originally Posted by fish eric View Post
when you watch kanon 06 and see how much better it is you might change your mind.

if they can make toradora2 to be as much better than the original as was kanon2 to the original than we would have the greatest anime ever made.

did that make sense?
Yeah, but with kanon I KNEW they could do better and hoped they did a remake (which we did get) but for toradora, I don't know. I think they did such a good job this time, that it would be a shame to try and remake it.

もいちど。。。
Old 2009-03-27, 02:51   Link #302
Zippicus

@Reckoner

Spoiler for for length:

I think a re-watch might be in order to clear up the whole Ryuji x Yasako thing, paying extra attention to the scenes involving them. Yasako's meltdown and Ryuji's angst were all foreshadowed pretty well if you were paying attention.

One thing for sure that it looks like you misunderstood was Ryuji's dilemma regarding Yasako. His "It would have been better if I hadn't been born" wasn't some kind of self loathing, he was feeling guilty for the trouble he thinks he caused Yasako. They illustrated that pretty well in the episode where Yasako collapsed due to exhaustion. Also there was never really any question as to whether Ryuji would go to college or not, he never once went along with the idea, rather he was against it every time it was brought up.

As far as Ami, Minori, Kitiamura, etc., they were all side characters. While it might have been nice to get some closure on their particular stories, this show was ultimately about Taiga and Ryuji.
Old 2009-03-27, 03:03   Link #303
fish eric
like to talk to fish?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nenkitsune View Post
Yeah, but with kanon I KNEW they could do better and hoped they did a remake (which we did get) but for toradora, I don't know. I think they did such a good job this time, that it would be a shame to try and remake it.
thats what I am saying.

If kanon went from mediocre to great

then

Toradora should go from great to legendary
Old 2009-03-27, 03:16   Link #304
JustDJR
Some guy

Send a message via AIM to JustDJR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
A solid ending refers to major points resolved and the two leads recognizing their love for each other. The whole point of the show was to bring Taiga and Ryuuji together in a romantic way, the rest of the plot lines were designed around that and to fill 25 episodes. Sure, they may or may not get married, or even stay together, but the show wasn't about preserving their relationship; it was about two people recognizing what the relationship between them had become.

This was never really a shipping show. It was obvious from the outset that this was going to be the way things turned out. It was only a matter of how.
So this was from like page 8 but its probably the most intelligent thing i read on my way here to page 16. What you expect from a series and what you SHOULD expect from a series sometimes arent on the same page, and that could adversly effect how you view it. I think I entered Toradora expecting something a bit different, even know I knew better after just a couple episodes. Somehow though I never seem to let go of my expectations of this being something other than Solace's nice little explanation here so when I get to the last episode it forces me to think a bit about my opnion of the series and how well or poorly I actually think it played out.

In the end, I did like the series. It certainly had its funny moments, interesting characters, and a nicley done but predictable enough story, but most series are predictable so im not going to kill it for that. The ending though was a bit of a wash, Ep 24 was certainly a mess but Ep 25 did a lot to correct it, so you still feel pretty good about the ending. Overall I have a hard time of "ranking" the series other than to say I liked it well enough but would have a hard time reccomending it to anyone unless I knew they were a fan of the genre. When I complete watching a truly great show I have the overwheming feeling I need to go out and advertise and try and share it with people, but now that Toradora is over I'm mostly indifferent. A nice representation of the genre, though not the best and not anything Id call "landmark".

Id be curious to know the demographic of these "10/10" posts as far as age/amount of anime seen etc because I have a hard time understanding how someone could get so worked up over what I just watched.

It was a nice way to kill thursdays though. Here's to good luck to all of us finding another good show next season.
Old 2009-03-27, 03:21   Link #305
Nenkitsune

Send a message via AIM to Nenkitsune Send a message via Yahoo to Nenkitsune
Quote:
Originally Posted by fish eric View Post
thats what I am saying.

If kanon went from mediocre to great

then

Toradora should go from great to legendary
Going great to legendary is by no means an easy task. Anyways, I'm satisfied with the show as it is, flaws and all. Though, I would like to read the light novels as well. Hmmm...I would like to read more of the manga, but oh well. (and apparently there's a VN coming out)

if I read the light novel and still think the same about the anime, then it'll be like with Welcome to the NHK. the LN was great, and the anime was great too, they were both similar, but showed certian things from a different perspective, which was really nice, since they built onto each other (hell, even the manga helped out)

and JustDJR, I rated it a 10/10 because for me, it reminds me a lot about when I was in highschool, of the friends I had, the things that we did (the things I wished happened, but got royally fucked up because of some...events...that took place)

Slice of Life anime hits me pretty hard because of my past, so when one like Toradora comes along, it really pulls at my emotional strings. A lot of slice of life I watch just because of the calming nature of them. a show like Sketchbook fits that perfectly.

and now I'm just ranting...

もいちど。。。
Old 2009-03-27, 03:44   Link #306
ddongbap

The very very very end part made it Epic.

EPIC.
Old 2009-03-27, 03:53   Link #307
AnimeFullForce
*Artist

im going to miss this show alot...... hopefully theres somthing like an OVA for it Plz
Old 2009-03-27, 04:00   Link #308
wistfulloner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustDJR View Post
Id be curious to know the demographic of these "10/10" posts as far as age/amount of anime seen etc because I have a hard time understanding how someone could get so worked up over what I just watched.
I voted 10/10 because I thoroughly enjoyed the episode, nothing less, nothing more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nenkitsune View Post
Going great to legendary is by no means an easy task. Anyways, I'm satisfied with the show as it is, flaws and all. Though, I would like to read the light novels as well. Hmmm...I would like to read more of the manga, but oh well. (and apparently there's a VN coming out)
I've always been curious, while it's the same JCstaff studio working on both ZnT and Toradora, do they have different teams working on each? I mean, Toradora is the most epic thing that's ever happened to us, and ZnT with all its seasons, well, just sucked.

I was wandering 4chan and there was talk on a Ami/Minori OVA coming out, but seeing as 4chan has close to 0% credibility...
Old 2009-03-27, 04:14   Link #309
animeffs13240
V for Victory

i dont understand why some people would vote this episode as painful (i might understand it was painful that such a good series ended and people were upset that there wasn't more but i don't think thats the case) i loved series overall and also
Spoiler for inko:

it closed out just right with
Spoiler for very last scene:

excellent way to end a great series and i agree that an ova would be nice and definitly some more SOS
Old 2009-03-27, 04:25   Link #310
JustDJR
Some guy

Send a message via AIM to JustDJR
I mean more of a 10/10 overall as a series. I could see how people might rank this episode 10/10 cause it did a very nice job wrapping it all up. I guess i should be more clear.
Old 2009-03-27, 04:33   Link #311
fish eric
like to talk to fish?

Quote:
I mean more of a 10/10 overall as a series. I could see how people might rank this episode 10/10 cause it did a very nice job wrapping it all up. I guess i should be more clear.
well what do you think of this as an overall series? rating wise?

btw someone said we are gonna have an overall poll/thread
Old 2009-03-27, 05:48   Link #312
wistfulloner

Quote:
Give your rating on the episode, not the series as the whole. Leave that for the "series impressions" thread we will be getting soon.
Old 2009-03-27, 06:20   Link #313
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

I find it interesting that Ami and Taiga are almost identical in nature.

If Ami were to switch places with Taiga in the very beginning, would things turn out differently? Would Ryuuji's caring nature make him stick with Ami and help her through with her issues like he did with Taiga?

Its great and all that Ami found resolution in herself just by knowing that Ryuuji acknowledges her for who she really is, despite not loving her. But I feel kinda sad inside at the same time.
Old 2009-03-27, 06:30   Link #314
Naraku

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara View Post
Its great and all that Ami found resolution in herself just by knowing that Ryuuji acknowledges her for who she really is, despite not loving her. But I feel kinda sad inside at the same time.
As another person had stated these other characters were truly supporting characters, their conclusion or lack there of is not the main focus of this series.

Though I also feel a bit sorry for her, but I think it will allow her to move on and find someone who she can share true love with.

My issue is more along the lines of the time gap, they went with a whole year instead of 2 months like in the light novel.

I can see why they did this though. It allows them to show more of a closure for all of the characters since it ended with their graduation instead of the beginning of their 3rd year.

I just find it a bit heart wrenching to see Taiga and Ryujii apart from each other for so long. Specially for a couple who just recognized and acknowledged their love for one another. It really had to be painful, specially on Ryujii who didn't really get a chance to say good bye to her in person at the beginning of the gap. Of course he understood her reasons even if it was painful, he is after all the more rational guy when it comes to understanding others feelings when the facts are laid out for him.
Old 2009-03-27, 06:34   Link #315
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Quote:
Originally Posted by wistfulloner View Post

I've always been curious, while it's the same JCstaff studio working on both ZnT and Toradora, do they have different teams working on each? I mean, Toradora is the most epic thing that's ever happened to us, and ZnT with all its seasons, well, just sucked.
Probably because ZnT is more fanservice and Toradora is just romance .
Old 2009-03-27, 06:36   Link #316
Naraku

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Sho- View Post
Probably because ZnT is more fanservice and Toradora is just romance .
It also doesn't do the characters justice when in comparison to the light novel.
Old 2009-03-27, 06:44   Link #317
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naraku View Post
I just find it a bit heart wrenching to see Taiga and Ryujii apart from each other for so long. Specially for a couple who just recognized and acknowledged their love for one another. It really had to be painful, specially on Ryujii who didn't really get a chance to say good bye to her in person at the beginning of the gap. Of course he understood her reasons even if it was painful, he is after all the more rational guy when it comes to understanding others feelings when the facts are laid out for him.
The main issue I have with this is simply the fact that the characters themselves didn't display this level of angst, at their separation (after the initial shock, anyway). The show didn't let them.
Also, it was pretty obvious that Ryuji and Taiga didn't stay incommunicado during the whole time they spent apart - granted, they might not have seen each other for a long while, as his sweet "I Love You" and height comment might attest, but... there are leagues of ways to get in touch nowadays (like the characters themselves exemplified with the cellphone messages, etc.), and that's why I don't really think this was something they both couldn't have overcome - because it was exactly what they needed to do.

Old 2009-03-27, 06:54   Link #318
Joe_fh

I think they menaged to do a great job with the ending given the episodes and time they had.Sure some things happened quite fast in the last two eppisodes but the light novel only came out recently and they had to do what they did in a short time.IMO they did a great job.Sure they might have added more to the side characters as some suggested,but considering everything the story wasn't about them but about Tiaga and Ryuuji and the conncetion between them from start to finish.

Oh and after all Taiga forgot some important documents(which i'm sure she needed) at her house + she was writing text messages to Ryuuji so we can be almost sure they stayed in touch
Old 2009-03-27, 07:02   Link #319
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

I'm sure they kept in touch through text messages. Theres no reason to not believe so. Ryuujin simply doesn't have the means to go see Taiga. For all we know she had moved clear across Japan.
Old 2009-03-27, 07:08   Link #320
Naraku

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
The main issue I have with this is simply the fact that the characters themselves didn't display this level of angst, at their separation (after the initial shock, anyway). The show didn't let them.
I'm under the impression that they may have had to jam in some aspects into this episode and were probably short on time. I believe at the pace they were going it could have easily filled a 26 episode and they would have been able to include these things.

From what I have read the light novel did go more into the level of angst that you are referring too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara View Post
I'm sure they kept in touch through text messages. Theres no reason to not believe so. Ryuujin simply doesn't have the means to go see Taiga. For all we know she had moved clear across Japan.
These are things that I wish they would have clarified.

If they had used the 2 month gap period instead it wouldn't have been such a big deal even if she wasn't clear across Japan.
Closed Thread