AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-09-16, 11:53   Link #1041
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
Because this is speculation. And speculating about Year Three is a lot better than "Book 10 will end it," if you ask me.

... Also, the series covering three years would be a lovely bit of symbolism, and one much less controversial than the '09 run of the series, at that.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Old 2009-09-16, 12:05   Link #1042
Ice Block
less qq; more pewpew

I've always believed that the series will end (or at least be on the last arc) when Mikuru "graduates" from high school. With the events in Volume 9, surely the status quo would have changed enough by then (the end of the school year) such that Mikuru would be allowed or needed to return to the future.
Old 2009-09-16, 12:16   Link #1043
Heatth

Send a message via MSN to Heatth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
Because this is speculation. And speculating about Year Three is a lot better than "Book 10 will end it," if you ask me.

... Also, the series covering three years would be a lovely bit of symbolism, and one much less controversial than the '09 run of the series, at that.
I have to agree with it. Where did the "Book 10 will end it" thing come from, anyway? Book 9 gives more or less the oposite feeling to me, that it isn't going to end so soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Block View Post
I've always believed that the series will end (or at least be on the last arc) when Mikuru "graduates" from high school. With the events in Volume 9, surely the status quo would have changed enough by then (the end of the school year) such that Mikuru would be allowed or needed to return to the future.
This is also a possibility. I believe Mikuru will go back to her era in the end, toughI don't think it must be the same as her graduating.

Thinking better about it, having Mikuru near to Haruhi is too usefull to the time-travelers, even if she graduate, as long they need to observe Haruhi, they would still make Mikuru being around somehow.
Old 2009-09-16, 12:17   Link #1044
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Block View Post
So then Haruhi would fly through her third year of high school (and Kyon, by extension)? That feels like a waste to me.
Old 2009-09-16, 12:19   Link #1045
GMT
Orthodox Haruhiist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post

If we ever get to the end of the second year, I suspect that Mikuru's role in the SOS-dan will gradually be assumed by
Spoiler:

Though, do we have any reason to believe that the series won't end with Book 10? The situation of an SOS-dan dedicated to keeping God Haruhi locked out of the loop is a metastable state. It can't be sustained forever, and the SOS-dan deserves some serious props for keeping it going as long as they have. Eventually it has to collapse into a state where either Haruhi is de-powered, or Haruhi ascends to godhood. In the former case, you remove the motivation for the various factions to keep someone in the SOS-dan, and we'll find out just how much of a case of Stockholm Syndrome personal loyalty Haruhi has instilled in the SOS-dan members. In the latter case, it just gets weird because what happens next depends on what Orihime and Hikiboshi God and the Archangel Kyon decide to do.

Beyond that, though, how many times can we repeat the formula of 'Haruhi drags the SOS-dan into wacky adventures' before it gets tiresome? How long can the relationship of Kyon and Haruhi be the key to everything when the rate of development of said relationship approximates the speed of your typical mountain glacier.

Then again, Haruhi is a product of Endless Filler Land Japan. The series could conceivably go on forever.
Old 2009-09-16, 12:51   Link #1046
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMT View Post
how many times can we repeat the formula of 'Haruhi drags the SOS-dan into wacky adventures' before it gets tiresome?
15,498. With 34 anime-original stories.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Old 2009-09-16, 12:56   Link #1047
Heatth

Send a message via MSN to Heatth
Quote:
Though, do we have any reason to believe that the series won't end with Book 10? The situation of an SOS-dan dedicated to keeping God Haruhi locked out of the loop is a metastable state. It can't be sustained forever, and the SOS-dan deserves some serious props for keeping it going as long as they have. Eventually it has to collapse into a state where either Haruhi is de-powered, or Haruhi ascends to godhood. In the former case, you remove the motivation for the various factions to keep someone in the SOS-dan, and we'll find out just how much of a case of Stockholm Syndrome personal loyalty Haruhi has instilled in the SOS-dan members. In the latter case, it just gets weird because what happens next depends on what Orihime and Hikiboshi God and the Archangel Kyon decide to do.

Beyond that, though, how many times can we repeat the formula of 'Haruhi drags the SOS-dan into wacky adventures' before it gets tiresome? How long can the relationship of Kyon and Haruhi be the key to everything when the rate of development of said relationship approximates the speed of your typical mountain glacier.
There is still a lot to be told. Really. Much more then would fit in a single novel. For one thing, the real reasons of the Time Travelers and the Organization (and, at last the Time Traveler plot was brought up). The 9th book didn't seen to be toucthing either of that matter yet, so is unlike the 10th would do.

Spoiler for Vol. 9:

Also, novels 4, 7 and even some chapters of 6 already didn't followed that formula. The same could be said to half of Vol. 9.

Quote:
If we ever get to the end of the second year, I suspect that Mikuru's role in the SOS-dan will gradually be assumed by
Spoiler:
Hmm... thinking now, since when Mikuru has a role? She just stand up doing nothing.
Spoiler:
Old 2009-09-16, 13:46   Link #1048
Ice Block
less qq; more pewpew

And of course we have lots of other foreshadowed stuff, like:
Spoiler for volume 7, 8, 9:
Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofthejudge View Post
So then Haruhi would fly through her third year of high school (and Kyon, by extension)? That feels like a waste to me.
True. Maybe it wont end yet, but it's gonna feel different with Mikuru presumably out of the picture. Hm, perhaps by that time Haruhi would have disbanded the brigade (or maybe only she and Kyon would be in it)? Personally, I see their third year as the "life goes on" epilogue. All the big stuff will take place on their second year,
Spoiler for minor volume 9 plot info:
But if Tanigawa can make an epic ending out of this, then so be it.
Old 2009-09-16, 21:30   Link #1049
dragon4dudes
Uncountable rationality

Send a message via MSN to dragon4dudes
Quote:
How long can the relationship of Kyon and Haruhi be the key to everything when the rate of development of said relationship approximates the speed of your typical mountain glacier.
Really? I thought it was the speed the tectonic plate moved.

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so. Douglas Adams
Where facts are few, experts are many. Donald R. Gannon

void foo() {foo();} // Can you guess what this line of code does?
Old 2009-09-17, 11:05   Link #1050
Tornadium

Quote:

He is either going to have to rapidly speed it up in Book 10 or drop EVERYTHING he has established so far and just do a random everyone happy ending.

Let's face it, Right now all of the endings would suck.
Old 2009-09-17, 11:34   Link #1051
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

A "score all the girls in the harem" ending? Not likely...mostly because it still isn't a harem.
Old 2009-09-17, 11:35   Link #1052
Tornadium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
A "score all the girls in the harem" ending? Not likely...mostly because it still isn't a harem.
It's basically Kyon bouncing between Girls every 10 minutes yet seeming to stick with Haruhi and being too cowardly to push anything.
Old 2009-09-17, 11:42   Link #1053
Heminga13
Wannabe Sleuth

I waited 6 weeks to be able to post this and by golly I'm going to even if no one cares anymore!

I did make it smaller, though, so if you really need to see the huge one you can just check out the second link below.

Heminga13: Speculating and anticipating 'The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya' movie since August 3, 2009.
Old 2009-09-17, 11:51   Link #1054
Tornadium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heminga13 View Post
I waited 6 weeks to be able to post this and by golly I'm going to even if no one cares anymore!

I did make it smaller, though, so if you really need to see the huge one you can just check out the second link below.
If this happens i will send each of you £100.
Old 2009-09-17, 12:03   Link #1055
NaweG
Just some guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornadium View Post
He is either going to have to rapidly speed it up in Book 10 or drop EVERYTHING he has established so far and just do a random everyone happy ending.

Let's face it, Right now all of the endings would suck.
Which has been the theory for some time of why Vol 10 is so late, i.e. he has written himself into a corner and can't figure out a good way to bring it all to a close.

Personally, I'm in favor of Haruhi finally figuring out she has powers, but realizes she can't be with Kyon and still be that way, and finally chooses to make herself powerless for him. Though that's still a bit cliched...
Old 2009-09-17, 12:22   Link #1056
aegisofrime
Yuki Nagato Worshipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaweG View Post
Which has been the theory for some time of why Vol 10 is so late, i.e. he has written himself into a corner and can't figure out a good way to bring it all to a close.

Personally, I'm in favor of Haruhi finally figuring out she has powers, but realizes she can't be with Kyon and still be that way, and finally chooses to make herself powerless for him. Though that's still a bit cliched...
Isn't that a bit like...
Spoiler for The Disappearance:
Old 2009-09-17, 12:29   Link #1057
Tornadium

Quote:
Originally Posted by aegisofrime View Post
Isn't that a bit like...
Spoiler for The Disappearance:
Yea,

Kyon didn't want Yuki though sadly. He wanted Haruhi. I expect if Haruhi gave up her powers for Kyon he would accept it.
Old 2009-09-17, 16:43   Link #1058
Solachinx
is a myth

I say that Haruhi discovers she has powers and then makes a race of dull aliens known as Vogons. However, this fucks Earth over because the Vogons want to destroy Earth in order to build a highway or something. Earth go boom. The end. Or, is it?
Old 2009-09-17, 17:09   Link #1059
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaweG View Post

I'm really, really hoping that this isn't the way the novels end... and not just because I'm a Yukion shipper.

It's because...

1) I'm hearing this prediction all over the place, on Haruhi-reviewing blogs, on Anime Suki, in IM chats... everywhere. So, for one, this ending is clearly too predictable. It's nice for there to be some sort of twist in the end that really stands out.

2) Yes, it's a bit cliched, to put it mildly.

3) On a philosophical level, I greatly prefer the idea of "Two lovers accept one another as they are, and unconditionally" rather than "One half of the romance changes who he or she is just to please the other half". I wouldn't want the novels ending on Yuki making herself a 'normal girl' just to satisfy Kyon either. If Kyon wants to be with somebody, then he should accept that person for who she is; Sakai Yuji never asked Shana to stop being a flame haze, and Kyon shouldn't expect Haruhi to sacrifice her powers just for his sake either. Kyon shouldn't expect her to change herself just for his sake any more than she should force him to change for her sake, imo.
Old 2009-09-17, 17:16   Link #1060
Tornadium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I'm really, really hoping that this isn't the way the novels end... and not just because I'm a Yukion shipper.

It's because...

1) I'm hearing this prediction all over the place, on Haruhi-reviewing blogs, on Anime Suki, in IM chats... everywhere. So, for one, this ending is clearly too predictable. It's nice for there to be some sort of twist in the end that really stands out.

2) Yes, it's a bit cliched, to put it mildly.

3) On a philosophical level, I greatly prefer the idea of "Two lovers accept one another as they are, and unconditionally" rather than "One half of the romance changes who he or she is just to please the other half". I wouldn't want the novels ending on Yuki making herself a 'normal girl' just to satisfy Kyon either. If Kyon wants to be with somebody, then he should accept that person for who she is; Sakai Yuji never asked Shana to stop being a flame haze, and Kyon shouldn't expect Haruhi to sacrifice her powers just for his sake either. Kyon shouldn't expect her to change herself just for his sake any more than she should force him to change for her sake, imo.
Well

1. It's kind of what the story is all about. At this point putting a twist like that would just totally kill the franchise. It's an ending but it will go down VERY VERY badly.

2. It's possible to do an ending like that without making it Cliche. Depends on how he writes it.

3. Agreed, Haruhi and Kyon should just stay the way they are.

Edit

I think what is needed is a plot twist which doesn't actually totally change the direction of the entire series in one go. I mean come on now, Where else is the ending going to go?

Maybe a plot twist which ends up leading to the obvious ending but definately not "Hey guys, So yea this is a story about Haruhi and Kyon but at the VERY VERY end after nearly 9 books of character development between those two we are going to do an ending which totally gets rid of one of the characters and totally disregards any previous source material".
Closed Thread