Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2013-07-04, 06:54   Link #1801
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzrat View Post
I think TitanFall would have been a better exclusive for Sony to secure. JRPG have always been within Sony's strong point while multiplayer FPS is something Xbox is well known for. Eventhough it's going to be available for PC and the 360 as well, I wouldn't be surprised if people bought a XB1 just for Titanfall.
If it's about FPS then I think it would have been more interesting if they fought TitanFall with Destiny

Make both of them exclusives to their individual consoles.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-04, 07:09   Link #1802
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
If it's about FPS then I think it would have been more interesting if they fought TitanFall with Destiny

But destiny is not a console exclusive.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-04, 07:11   Link #1803
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
But destiny is not a console exclusive.
Neither is Titanfall, hence why I said "make them both".
Old 2013-07-04, 08:17   Link #1804
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Neither is Titanfall, hence why I said "make them both".
True. But titanfall will only (initially) be coming out for PC. That's a smaller marketing demographic than it coming out on another console.

Really. Microsoft better be bending over themselves offering boonies to the guys making Titanfall to keep them from letting it get on the PS4 anytime soon. Because that and Halo are the only two big *exclusives* coming out on the Xboxone that even seems to remotely make getting an Xboxone competitive.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-04, 08:26   Link #1805
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
I think TitanFall would have been a better exclusive for Sony to secure. JRPG have always been within Sony's strong point while multiplayer FPS is something Xbox is well known for. Eventhough it's going to be available for PC and the 360 as well, I wouldn't be surprised if people bought a XB1 just for Titanfall.
I think it's better if the games define the console instead. When I choose Sony's console, I want JRPG and the like, not FPS. It was painful to see JRPG appeared on 360, just to have an enhanced version later on the PS3.
Old 2013-07-04, 08:33   Link #1806
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrowSmith View Post
The Kinect v2 is the killer feature that will cause XB1 to win out in the end outside of Japan.
You meant that Kinect is going to give Microsoft a chance in the U.S., right? The TV features that Microsoft touted don't work in the rest of the world - in the UK, they tried to court Sky, but they were turned down. Besides, Kinect doesn't stir up significant interest from gamers. It's something that appeals to gadget fans, but they won't be the ones buying at $499.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo Maxwell View Post
I think if it's multi platform title, then it would be make sense. Usually they don't hide exclusive title, since that's what helps moving the sale of the console. Why would they hide them to lower the amount of sale they could have in the future?
It would make a lot of sense to withhold title announcements for TGS and Gamescom as it would give momentum after the initial excitement dies down. Microsoft went all in for E3 so they can't really do that any more. Sony still has a lot of unannounced games, so that's precisely what they'll be doing.

Quote:
Heck, I'm still bitter about FFXIII versus, you know.
Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts might as well be exclusives. The audience just isn't there on Microsoft platforms; especially since the Xbone probably won't see any other JRPGs. And really, we shouldn't hope for third-party exclusives as more choice is almost always a good thing for consumers.

Quote:
Recovery is still possible if XB1 doesn't get totally crushed by PS4 in market dominance. As long as it have enough market share especially in the NA region, major 3rd parties will continue to go multiplatform to support it especially since both system are using the same architecture this time around.
I think that multiplatform titles are going to help Sony a lot more than Microsoft.

Quote:
How far it can regain market share is going to be up to what Sony and Microsoft does post launch.
Microsoft won't be able to do much post launch until they fix their production problems. Any effects of that probably won't show up until Q2 2014 at the earliest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
Really. Microsoft better be bending over themselves offering boonies to the guys making Titanfall to keep them from letting it get on the PS4 anytime soon. Because that and Halo are the only two big *exclusives* coming out on the Xboxone that even seems to remotely make getting an Xboxone competitive.
Microsoft can't offer very much when EA sees how much money they're losing out on.
Old 2013-07-04, 09:08   Link #1807
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts might as well be exclusives. The audience just isn't there on Microsoft platforms; especially since the Xbone probably won't see any other JRPGs. And really, we shouldn't hope for third-party exclusives as more choice is almost always a good thing for consumers.
I'm not bitter about the exclusive thing, but how it was announced for the PS3 which is one of the reason I got the PS3, and now? PS4, people. Pretty sure it did help the PS3's sale from the early stage.
Old 2013-07-04, 09:09   Link #1808
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Quote:

EA vs Activision
Respawn Entertainment(former Infinity Ward members) vs Activision
Sony vs Microsoft

I think the media would be delighted if that's true hehe, so much bad blood and rivalry going if Titanfall were to be pitted against Destiny in console war.

Quote:
I think it's better if the games define the console instead. When I choose Sony's console, I want JRPG and the like, not FPS. It was painful to see JRPG appeared on 360, just to have an enhanced version later on the PS3.
Well, choice and option never hurts for gamer. I would be happier to have just one console/platform to play all my games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
I think that multiplatform titles are going to help Sony a lot more than Microsoft.

Microsoft won't be able to do much post launch until they fix their production problems. Any effects of that probably won't show up until Q2 2014 at the earliest.
It's less detrimental for them than actual benefits really. With pricing and regional availability on Sony side this time, I doubt they are going to bother sink too much money into exclusivity contract with 3rd party developers.

As for post launch, Microsoft probably wont be able to trim down production cost as much as Sony since they are already using the cheaper and older DDR3 ram as opposed to GDDR5 on Sony. Maybe Kinect gets cheaper? Seems unlikely but I have no idea how that production works.

I think tie-in with regional cable networks and contract subsidy would probably be their business strategy.
Old 2013-07-04, 12:27   Link #1809
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
As for post launch, Microsoft probably wont be able to trim down production cost as much as Sony since they are already using the cheaper and older DDR3 ram as opposed to GDDR5 on Sony. Maybe Kinect gets cheaper? Seems unlikely but I have no idea how that production works.
GDDR5 was first used in a Radeon Graphics Card back in 2008, DDR3 dates from 2007 so no, there isn't much age difference there. In fact GDDR5 is based on DDR3 with specific changes and tweaks to give it higher bandwidth and lower latency which should make it a better choice for gaming tasks.

Yes, back in 2008 there was a massive power penalty when choosing GDDR5 vs DDR3 but the manufacture processes have changed and with smaller transistors you can mitigate that (top of the line die size back in 2008 was 65nm, today it's 22nm. Sony won't be able to use such a small die size of course and it wouldn't even be cost-effective to use the top of the line process for ram chips).

Of course this also works to Microsofts advantage and should allow them to have less to worry when it comes to ram heat dissipation (hence the "hot ram" jabs) but considering that rumors point to their CPU/GPU having yeld issues and being under-clocked to solve them I think Sony is pretty comfortable in it's ability to cool a few extra watts of heat compared to a problematic heart of the machine.
Old 2013-07-04, 12:58   Link #1810
4Tran

Quote:
I'm not bitter about the exclusive thing, but how it was announced for the PS3 which is one of the reason I got the PS3, and now? PS4, people. Pretty sure it did help the PS3's sale from the early stage.
Square Enix announced Versus a long time before they should have. Up until very recently, they only had a skeleton team working on the game. There wasn't a whole lot of progress made, so it was trivial to switch to PS4 instead. I do feel your pain though.

For what it's worth, Kingdom Hearts III was announced way too early as well - I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't come out until 2016 (or later!).

Quote:
It's less detrimental for them than actual benefits really. With pricing and regional availability on Sony side this time, I doubt they are going to bother sink too much money into exclusivity contract with 3rd party developers.
On the contray, that's exactly what Microsoft has done, and what they will try to do in the near future. Out of the currently announced titles, Killer Instinct, Below, Dead Rising III, Crimson Dragon, D4 and Ryse are all exclusives made by third-party developers. Microsoft doesn't have enough development studios to go head-to-head with Sony, and with almost all regular third-party titles going multiplatform, that will normally mean that they will automatically lose out in games over the life of the system. Buying up third-party exclusives ala Titanfall or paying for their development like the games I listed are the only short-term ways that Microsoft can employ to tackle Sony's advantage.

The problem is that if Sony gets a large early lead, the third party developers are going to see how much of an audience they're missing out on by going exclusive and they'll go multiplatform instead. Titanfall is a good example here. EA was reportedly paid $50 million to give the game one year of non-PS4 exclusivity. If putting the game on PS4 could have garnered 2 million extra sales, as is looking increasingly likely, then EA has lost hard on the deal.

Quote:
Theoretically, Microsoft could decrease their costs sooner because they stand to gain more by moving to 22nm transistors from the 28nm ones the Xbone's APU uses. The problem here is that Microsoft has been losing a lot of money because of poor APU yields which will largely eat up any gains from lower costs for the foreseeable future. A Xbone probably loses Microsoft $100 more than a PS4 loses for Sony. On top of that, the memory manufacturers have started making 8 gigabit GDDR5 chips, and these will go towards cutting a PS4's BoM. If Sony doesn't cut prices, it's probable that a PS4 will be making a profit at retail by June 2014.

The only console that's not going to be cheaper to build will be the Wii U.

Quote:
I think tie-in with regional cable networks and contract subsidy would probably be their business strategy.
Trying to sign deals with cable networks outside of the U.S. is going to be very difficult for Microsoft. The Xbone is set up to deal with American-style networks and the rest of the world doesn't operate like that. I don't see them having much luck even in Canada.

With production being Microsoft's main problem, I don't see a subsidized Xbone showing up any time soon. I don't see one showing up until 2015 at the earliest, and even at that date, who's going to be subsidizing it? Is it going to be a contract with a TV company or an internet company? Either way, this still doesn't work well outside of the U.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
Of course this also works to Microsofts advantage and should allow them to have less to worry when it comes to ram heat dissipation (hence the "hot ram" jabs) but considering that rumors point to their CPU/GPU having yeld issues and being under-clocked to solve them I think Sony is pretty comfortable in it's ability to cool a few extra watts of heat compared to a problematic heart of the machine.
RAM produces so much less heat than the APU does that any difference there is trivial. I'd say that Microsoft's yield problems have been substantiated by their inability to have a wide release.
Old 2013-07-04, 20:37   Link #1811
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Old 2013-07-04, 20:58   Link #1812
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

I read on the internet that Don Mattrick's name is comprised of the first three guys he blew (Don, Matt, and Rick). Is this true? I read it on the internet, so it's gotta be true.
Old 2013-07-04, 21:06   Link #1813
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Seems Legit.
Old 2013-07-04, 21:15   Link #1814
ReaperxKingx
Emperor of the Expected

Quote:
Here is a source although not reliable as a gaming website.
http://www.cinemablend.com/games/PS4...Far-57145.html Its the source of your and this video at the bottom.

Also, your video came from another video, here it is. Its legit by me and should give everyone a laugh.

For the first time in a while, I laugh so hard.
ReaperxKingx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-04, 22:34   Link #1815
Vajra
So Like A Rose

Ouya outselling? Wow...just wow, words can't express...
Vajra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-04, 22:36   Link #1816
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

In Canada and on Amazon... But the fact that it actually happened under any circumstances is -worthy.
Old 2013-07-04, 23:04   Link #1817
ReaperxKingx
Emperor of the Expected

How many felt something was weird with France's results?
ReaperxKingx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-04, 23:37   Link #1818
Reality_Breaker

The words Ouya, Outselling and X-Box ONE in the same sentence... FUNNIEST. YEAR. EVER!. XD
Reality_Breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-05, 00:07   Link #1819
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Is the Xbone doing way too bad, or the Ouya is actually doing well? I didn't think the Ouya would go smoothly, honestly.
Old 2013-07-05, 00:18   Link #1820
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Is the Xbone doing way too bad, or the Ouya is actually doing well? I didn't think the Ouya would go smoothly, honestly.
Maybe Canada is just a really strange place