AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2013-03-09, 10:39   Link #1
CeDeR
Inactive Member

Send a message via ICQ to CeDeR Send a message via AIM to CeDeR Send a message via Yahoo to CeDeR
Question 2013 anime series, movies or ovas?

So, are there any outstanding anime series, movies or ovas so far?

Im open to anything but it has to be good. No mindless fanservice or crappy stuff like that (with all due respect but come on ).

Genres i tend to favor: Mystery, Horror, Seinei.
Genres i tend to dislike: Magical girl, Harem, Echi.

Thanks.
CeDeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-09, 10:49   Link #2
kitten320

It is just a beginning of the year so hard to tell.
The ones that stand out to me are:
1) Psycho-Pass
2) Magi
3) Chihayafuru 2

Could check out:
1) Kotoura-san - a mix of comedy and drama, first 10 mins of episode 1 will leave you depressed.
2) Love Live! School Idol Project - only if you have watched and liked Idolm@ster since style is similar. Slice of life show about cute idols.

Otherwise this year is not very promising for me so far.
Most of the movies still are in need of translation.
Old 2013-03-09, 12:00   Link #3
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I put Psycho-Pass aside a while back with the intent to watch it all at some point, but otherwise I second Magi and Chihayafuru. Obviously you need to watch the first season of the latter before picking up this one. I watched the first season after it ended and devoured the entire 25 episodes in a couple of days.

Two other continuing series also deserve your attention -- Shin Sekai Yori and Space Brothers. There are quite a few scenes in the early going of SSY depicting the various adolescent characters in homosexual relationships, but there is a plot reason for that and not just mindless ecchi. Space Brothers is nearing the end of its first 48-episode run, but it's already been announced that it is moving to a new time slot, so I imagine it will be running for quite some time to come. The anime provided a big boost to manga sales and ran in a time slot (Sundays at 7:00 am) where advertising could be profitably run. It routinely garners ratings in the 2-3% range and outdrew its competitor in the same time period. Space Brothers will soon be moving to an even more favorable slot, Saturdays at 5:30 pm just ahead of Detective Conan. All the characters in Space Brothers are adults, a refreshing alternative to most anime these days. (That's true for Psycho-Pass as well.)

I'm more mixed on Kotoura-san. I began watching it after the remarkable opening episode, but it has a much larger ratio of comedy to drama in the later episodes. The last couple of episodes have pushed the ratio back in the drama direction a bit. It has more ecchi content than the others as well, but it's not explicit.

All of these are streamed by Crunchyroll in North America except for Psycho-Pass which is on Funimation.

Let me also suggest last season's Kamisama Hajimemashita which is also streamed by Funi under the name "Kamisama Kiss." It's a cute and funny shoujo confection about a high school girl who becomes the "god" of a run-down shrine.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-09, 12:10   Link #4
CeDeR
Inactive Member

Send a message via ICQ to CeDeR Send a message via AIM to CeDeR Send a message via Yahoo to CeDeR
I didnt like Magi to be honest. But im gonna check Pyscho-Pass and SSY sounds good too, btw i dont mind BL at all when its part of the story or the characters.
About Chihayafuru is the anime better than the manga?
Thanks guys.
Old 2013-03-09, 12:11   Link #5
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

For me the most outstanding TV shows so far have been:
PsychoPass (You're already watching that [EDIT] Or at least i thought you were...)
Shin Sekai Yori
Chihayafuru: Season 2 (I haven't read the manga but as far as I'm aware of it's a pretty solid and faithful adaptation. and I've not heard a single complaint.)
Zetsuen no Tempest (In my avatar)

Some very good TV shows include:
Zettai Karen Children: The Unlimited (I haven't watched the original series but I still find it mostly comprehensible)
Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo (A little bit of fanservice)
Kotoura-san (Same as above)

As for movies, The Wolf Children was recently released which I heavily recommend watching. It's technically 2012 but still.

Last edited by Haak; 2013-03-09 at 12:27.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-09, 12:42   Link #6
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
I'll second second Shin Sekai Yori, Zetsuen no Tempest and Wolf Children
Old 2013-03-09, 12:57   Link #7
Tougarashi
zutto soba ni ite ne

As others have been stated, Shin Sekai Yori is the one you don't want to be missed. It's the epic story of telekinetic humans living in a confine village. The protagonist girl, Saki-chan retell the story about the past, starting from their childhood. The world created in Shin Sekai Yori is diverse and every creatures and events have the stories of their own. So make sure you watch Shin Sekai Yori in this season.

If you don't mind a bit of fan service, Vividred Operation is the another refreshing story you will find interesting from time to time. The story started to revolve around the girl named Ishikii Akane whose grandfather is amazing scientist-professor who invent the power plant that giving power to the whole world. The enemy to the power plant called "Alone" creatures came and professor gave powers to his granddaughter to protect the island and power plant. The story goes on. The animation for fighting sequence are close to perfect. There are some pantsu shots here and there but it' not mindless. If you like the fast action you don't want to be missed this series as well.

Current Season animes: Listeners, Tower of God
Tougarashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-09, 13:10   Link #8
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tougarashi View Post
If you don't mind a bit of fan service, Vividred Operation is the another refreshing story you will find interesting from time to time. The story started to revolve around the girl named Ishikii Akane whose grandfather is amazing scientist-professor who invent the power plant that giving power to the whole world. The enemy to the power plant called "Alone" creatures came and professor gave powers to his granddaughter to protect the island and power plant. The story goes on. The animation for fighting sequence are close to perfect. There are some pantsu shots here and there but it' not mindless. If you like the fast action you don't want to be missed this series as well.
No offense to you Touga, but suggesting VRO to the OP who said "No mindless fanservice or crappy stuff like that" is kinda counterproductive since you're suggesting exactly what he hates. The pantsu-shots and ass-shots in VRO are not relevant to the story thus "mindless fanservice". Peace.

Anyway, I also second Zetsuen no Tempest, Shin Sekai Yori, Chihayafuru, Space Brothers, and Psycho-Pass.
Old 2013-03-09, 13:15   Link #9
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

I highly recommend Psycho-Pass and I'll probably second Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo and Love Live!. If you don't mind a comical fantasy, Mondaiji is a good choice. Despite its misleading visuals that are reminiscient of harem shows, it's actually enjoyable and contains little amount of fanservice as well. Same goes for GJ-bu : despite the frequent female to male cast, it isn't really a harem nor contain any romance, but still a good slice of life with comedic effect.
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-09, 13:55   Link #10
kitten320

I never read Chihayafuru manga but I have hard time imagining it to be better... anime has improved character designs, beautiful animation and graphics. Good soundtracks, great atmosphere and easily pulls you in with it's simple yet addictive story.

I never expected I would like it as much as I did.

Horror/mystery department Psycho-Pass is a total must of this year.
Old 2013-03-09, 14:44   Link #11
deadlights911

Though I haven't seen them yet, I've heard some really good things about Psycho Pass and Chihayafuru: Season 2
deadlights911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-09, 15:54   Link #12
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-09, 17:07   Link #13
Dawnstorm

Most have been mentioned. From your opening post, it seems Shin Sekai Yori is a must, and Psycho Pass follows closely behind.

Kotoura san is something you have to make up your own mind about. It's hard to describe. I'd say it's a comedy-styled romp through all the clichés associated with mind-reading. They're box ticking genres. The style is always sort-of tongue in cheek. If it weren't, the drama would be unbearably over-the-top. It's a fascinating mix. Oh, and the voice acting is excellent in this series.

Unless I missed it, nobody's mentioned Robotics;Notes, which I think is under-appreciated. (It's my second-favourite, after SSY, this season, despite being bored by giant robots.)
Dawnstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-09, 18:01   Link #14
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

Psycho Pass is the Must See series so far this year.

Otherwise, I also recommend: Space Brothers and Sakurasou
Old 2013-03-09, 19:09   Link #15
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

While Psycho Pass and Shin Sekai Yori have been covered thoroughly here as both are really excellent series, so I'll just second them, and Sakurasou if you have any taste for romance/comedy/drama at all as it is one of the best in a long time, imo.

I'll suggest Sasami-san@Ganbaranai, though watch past the 1st episode before judging it as the 1st ep barely reveals anything.
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-10, 10:07   Link #16
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konakaga View Post
I'll suggest Sasami-san@Ganbaranai, though watch past the 1st episode before judging it as the 1st ep barely reveals anything.
The second episode didn't improve my opinion of this show.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2013-03-11 at 13:42.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-11, 10:25   Link #17
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Shin Sekai Yori is the clear winner in 2013 so far, though we are still very early in the year. Though, Psycho Pass would second.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-11, 22:25   Link #18
CeDeR
Inactive Member

Thanks guys, i appreciate it.
Old 2013-03-13, 14:15   Link #19
Dawnstorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
The second episode didn't improve my opinion of this show.
Nor the third. I can't remember when it happened (probably a gradual process), but I'm currently enjoying the show a lot. Wouldn't have expected that early on.
Dawnstorm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2013, new anime