Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-09-14, 23:38   Link #2441
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjalorak View Post
What's so special about the east round?

Maybe Kozue just takes a while to get back up to speed.
You know what they say about the south wind...

It can be a bit dry.
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-14, 23:42   Link #2442
Seravy
Dorothy-chaaan~!

I'm relieved the filler didn't wind up Gonzo'd. It ended nicely enough to leave me wanting for more, infact. Unfortunately, it will be what? another 3 years before the manga releases warrant a new series. Hurry up manga-ka ;_;
Seravy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-15, 00:52   Link #2443
dave1992
Hinagiku Fans

Send a message via Yahoo to dave1992
Nanpo Kazue is actually moe, I want her to qualify for Nationals, but I feel it's impossible.

I know from beginning already that it's Nodoka, Saki and Mihoko. Mihoko's point was too far already from everyone else, same with Nodoka. Saki won on 1 point to Hisa, just because she's the main character, at every other occasion, Hisa definitely won, she even won against Mihoko. Hisa proved she's the best player here, The top three qualified just because they collected point more than Hisa, not because they're better player.

I got the feeling that `next year`, Kazue transferred to Kiyosumi to replace Hisa.
dave1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-15, 02:14   Link #2444
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

I thought they had the 3 winners planned by a long time. Mihoko because she's a character with some (probable) depth and who didn't get to shine much in the team tournament since she played in the earlier hands. Saki because she's the main character, and Nodoka because of that promise with Saki. That's all.
Looking at it like this, it felt so convenient for them to clearly state since several episodes ago that Koromo wouldn't participate, and then leaving here out. They knew that if they threw Koromo in, there'd be no way she couldn't qualify.

A good episode, a sort of speeded up version of the long team tournament matches. That rinshan kaishou ability of Saki is so freaking absurd though ^^ , or more accurately: her 100% ratio of getting the winning tile after a kan while being in tenpai. Ah well, Kozue emits a warm breeze when she's south, Koromo emits a chill when she decides to get serious, Yuuki is 10x stronger being east and 3x stronger eating tacos, Mihoko can see through opponents' tiles, Momoko disappears ... etc.etc. I guess Saki's ability doesn't even classify among the most bizarre ones.
Old 2009-09-15, 03:12   Link #2445
rurupeceaue
2D-Girls Banzai!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellissier View Post
I thought they had the 3 winners planned by a long time. Mihoko because she's a character with some (probable) depth and who didn't get to shine much in the team tournament since she played in the earlier hands. Saki because she's the main character, and Nodoka because of that promise with Saki. That's all.
Looking at it like this, it felt so convenient for them to clearly state since several episodes ago that Koromo wouldn't participate, and then leaving here out. They knew that if they threw Koromo in, there'd be no way she couldn't qualify.

A good episode, a sort of speeded up version of the long team tournament matches. That rinshan kaishou ability of Saki is so freaking absurd though ^^ , or more accurately: her 100% ratio of getting the winning tile after a kan while being in tenpai. Ah well, Kozue emits a warm breeze when she's south, Koromo emits a chill when she decides to get serious, Yuuki is 10x stronger being east and 3x stronger eating tacos, Mihoko can see through opponents' tiles, Momoko disappears ... etc.etc. I guess Saki's ability doesn't even classify among the most bizarre ones.
Makes you wonder what the next opponents ability is (in the nationals)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1992 View Post
I got the feeling that `next year`, Kazue transferred to Kiyosumi to replace Hisa.
I'm with you there. Wouldn't it be interesting to have Nanpo and Yuki in the same team.Loli/Moe power!

Last edited by Pellissier; 2009-09-15 at 03:34. Reason: please use the "edit" or the "multiquote" button instead of double posting
rurupeceaue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-15, 04:13   Link #2446
scr
my sides are in orbit

Spoiler for eps23:

Overall, Nanpo isn't a very interesting character (well, compared to mahjong monster who speaks sagely, someone who might as well be a ghost, and someone with Mystic Eye of Flow Perception), but this opinion of mine might change if her backstory is revealed.

Something like...
Spoiler for Fist of the Southern Star:
If there's a Final Fantasy game that I must put my personal seal of disapproval on, it's Crisis Core. I mean, just look at how this Genesis Rhapsodos dude is raping the canon. It's bad. As in, fanfiction bad.
scr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-15, 04:28   Link #2447
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

Saki seriously needs (several) other winning moves than just Rinshan Kaiho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1992 View Post
Nanpo Kazue is actually moe, I want her to qualify for Nationals, but I feel it's impossible.
I got the feeling that `next year`, Kazue transferred to Kiyosumi to replace Hisa
Kazue <3 Though she is more moe when her hair is not down =3 I want her in Kiyosumis team too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellissier View Post

The only reason that Saki didnt win the whole tournament and only got 3rd place is

Spoiler for the reason:

Last edited by Eisdrache; 2009-09-15 at 04:43.
Eisdrache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-15, 09:08   Link #2448
al103
Grumpy Russian bear

Send a message via ICQ to al103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seravy View Post
I'm relieved the filler didn't wind up Gonzo'd. It ended nicely enough to leave me wanting for more, infact.
For me it WAS Gonzo'd because of:

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangejuicetang View Post
Saki had a godly hand, and was complaining "I can't get any kongs. Oh no. I'm lost for I can't do anything. Oh wait, if I remember online mahjong I'll win, because looking at the board a different way makes my opponent discard exactly what I need. YOU HAD A GODDAMN CONCEALED THREE COLOR STRAIGHT WITH AT LEAST ONE DORA HAND AND WAS IN TENPAI! and your still talking about your damn kongs. Throw a fucking riichi and first round tsumo off that.
I fully agree with sentiment - Saki wasn't shown as one trick pony before that, though heavy on kongs...

PS. Also Nanoha/job, Honor/job and Rein/Agito.
PPS. Proud Athrun/Cagalli/Meyrin shipper.
al103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-15, 10:52   Link #2449
BrokenWingz

Quote:
Originally Posted by al103 View Post
For me it WAS Gonzo'd because of:

I fully agree with sentiment - Saki wasn't shown as one trick pony before that, though heavy on kongs...
a little misinterpreted, from momo view she believe that her conceal discard would go unnoticed. Saki prove otherwise, in a sense momo slip up.

It wouldn’t be saki without her rinshan kaihō, which is evident from the team tournament if there was a time she won outside of it, it was contributed by Yumi. Although my memory might be playing tricks on me.
BrokenWingz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-15, 11:19   Link #2450
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

She got a ron from Koromo as well. Other than that all her on-screen tournament wins where just rinshan kaiho's. (freaking rinshan's, I think I've only gotten 2 in all of the games I've played).
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-15, 11:32   Link #2451
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
(freaking rinshan's, I think I've only gotten 2 in all of the games I've played).
Lol same here I might have won 1 or 2 times by rinshan kaiho too, but I can't even remember clearly. And it's not just about the rinshan kaiho, it's more or less whenever I put a kan together, the bonus tile is junk. If it's Saki, every kan becomes a goldmine.
Old 2009-09-15, 12:25   Link #2452
BrokenWingz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
She got a ron from Koromo as well. Other than that all her on-screen tournament wins where just rinshan kaiho's. (freaking rinshan's, I think I've only gotten 2 in all of the games I've played).
some little trivia before I sleep...
Has saki ever called Richii before? following up on what orangejuicetang wrote.

But back on topic, saki is a one trick pony as much as people like to deny it. It's not a bad thing since drawing whatever tilles she likes is godly.
BrokenWingz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-15, 13:09   Link #2453
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

She did, on the second round of the taishou round of the team finals, and a double riichi on the first hand of her third match with Nodoka.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-16, 20:26   Link #2454
wormspeaker

I love the ED2 for this anime. It reminds me so much of the music from Mamono Hunter Yhoko and so many of the other anime from the same era. That's a very good thing by the way.
wormspeaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-17, 06:11   Link #2455
tjalorak
Fax Caelestis

I finally got around to watching ep. 22 and 23.

Re: Saki. Yeah, she was in tenpai but I don't know if declaring riichi would have been the way to go. With Momo in stealth mode, Saki could have very easily gone into furiten.

Speaking of Momo, this is the second time in a row where Momo has faced a Kiyosumi player that's been sort of immune to her stealth and been knocked off of her momentum and each time, she's played a risky tile. I think even with stealth, she needs to play more conservatively.

I did find it interesting that Hisa KNEW she lost after the turn got back to Saki and in fact, folded before Saki even drew her tile.

As for the final tables, I thought it hilarious. There's the Leaders / Strategists table (no, I don't count Kanbara as the leader of her team), the valiant understudies table (no way Nodoka would lose that table), and the random weird powers table.

Despite Yuuki's troubles in the south, she's still doing surprisingly well though. 14th going into the last round? That's already pretty good even if it won't allow her to think of going to nationals (and incidentally, ahead of Mako). I guess that makes Mako the worst player in Kiyosumi... Poor Tomoki. Paired up against Momo AGAIN. A nothing table though basically in terms of challenging for the top 3.

The socks! The shoes! They're off!

"Tsuruga's president freaks me out"? The Wahahaha laugh is that scary? Okay, no wonder she freaks Miharu out. That face doesn't change even when she's sighing! Even during the entire match! Run, run, it's the creepy version of Joker!

Kazue sort of reminds me of Yumi although Yumi's voice is deeper and Kazue has a more breathier feel to it. Still, they have that same sort of deliberate voice.

Nodoka is like the anti-power player. Unless your powers only affect yourself, it's not going to work on her. This must be the second area effect that's bounced off her.

Saki smiling. It's the end of the world. It's all going to plan. It's hack power time!

Kaori is surprisingly observant for someone who's not very good at mahjong compared to the others.

Hahaha. Hisa and Mihoko in a room together definitely overshadows everyone else at their table. Even Touka! Poor Yumi loses again to a Kiyosumi player.

Next episode... they need to place Mihoko, Hisa, Nodoka, and Saki at one table. It'll be the battle of the competing couples! Which lovey dovey blush / hearts / flowers / flames / ice will prevail?!

Aw. Yumi consoling Momo. Now... Momo, teach her how to swim in ep. 25.
Old 2009-09-17, 09:55   Link #2456
Peanutbutter

Watched Ep 23 again.

To put it in a way, Kanbara gave Saki the overall 3rd place. Talk about helping, wahahaha.
Peanutbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-17, 17:26   Link #2457
orangejuicetang

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjalorak View Post
Re: Saki. Yeah, she was in tenpai but I don't know if declaring riichi would have been the way to go. With Momo in stealth mode, Saki could have very easily gone into furiten.
I should just point out right now that if this was true, then Saki would have also missed her chance to kong off Momo. Momo's stealth didn't manage to affect Saki yet, and then Saki broke Momo's stealth completely by her "lol pretend I'm online" thing. Also, declaring riichi, given Saki's being "loved by the tiles" to an absurdly godlike degree, she could have easily gotten a first round tsumo. I mean, if Nodoka saw Saki's hand, and saw what Saki did next, she would have broke down crying. It's like Hisa's hell waits taken to an absurd degree. While you can stop Hisa (most of the time unless she pulls an epic tile slam tsumo win), there is almost no way to stop Saki, short of the three people teaming up to make a "straight zone" or whatever they called it. But it's okay. Because the production team apparently decided "hey guyz, let's make it so Saki can only win with Rinshan Kaishou." Since she seems to now have utterly no other tricks up her sleeves. And she has utterly no way to defend/backup her "KONG=VICTORY" strategy. Look at Koromo, the other "monster that is loved by the tiles" that has been shown. She likes using haiteis. The three realize that and stop her by shifting the orders of the tiles. Unlike Saki, who became utterly helpless when they took away her Kongs, Koromo just looked at them, laughed, and pulled a pon or chii of some player to bring the order back so she would draw the last tile. Hell, Yumi turned Saki's specialty completely against her within two games of playing with her. That's something I wish people would do more. Everybody knows that she's going to go for kongs, so set up your hand to be ready to rob that kong.

Also, I just realized. Momo could be the most successful burglar/bank robber ever. "How the hell did you just let some random high school girl walk into the vault and take a bunch of money!" "I don't know sir, I never saw here." "It's on the damn security camera. She didn't even try to sneak, she just walked right in!"

"Our sources indicate that the bank robber Momo is hiding in this house. SWAT, ready, go!" "Sir, there's no one here!" "impossible, there's our spy satellite clearly show that she's in this house." "Look for yourself, there's no one here? Unless she can turn herself invisible dumbass? Jeez, it's chilly in here, anyone feel a draft?"

If a corrupt court will not behead an evil king, than the watchman should do it himself.
orangejuicetang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-18, 00:33   Link #2458
tjalorak
Fax Caelestis

She barely saw the tile and ONLY that tile. It was only when she konged that it broke the stealth mode entirely and she saw all the tiles.

In this case, it would have been a bit much to expect she would have been able to keep up her concentration and play like that for however long it took her tile to pop up.

Regarding Fukuji, I had sort of expected her to help out Hisa since it didn't matter if she lost or not. Aw. They did have a handshake though. Progress, Mihoko! Progress!
Old 2009-09-18, 01:03   Link #2459
klare

new comer

just started watching this series after seeing its strong outings in Saimoe

the girls are indeed cute, and there are so many of them with different personalities and abilities

the feeling is like watching Claymore, where the guys are sidelined to minor roles

also noticed the "girl love girl" sentiment is quite obvious and can be seen everywhere in the show
klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-18, 02:40   Link #2460
The Eternal Hijacker

I don't know if I should say the following but I'm kind of tempted to make the following Harry Potter related comparison:

Kiyosumi High School = Gryffindor
Ryūmonbuchi High School = Slytherin
Kazekoshi Girls School = Hufflepuff
Tsuruga Academy = Ravenclaw

The comparisons are mostly based on the general behavior of the characters from each school.
The Eternal Hijacker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
competition, mahjong, seinen