AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2013-02-14, 21:26   Link #2961
teja208
Critical fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
No, I would be completely against that.
If you mean against having Shizu as MC then I'm with you on this. I like Shizu as a character, but there has been a hand full of the likes of her as MC in other Shounen mangas. I'd rather have something different like demon overloard Saki crushing hopes and dream of those standing in her way.
teja208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-14, 21:37   Link #2962
Sumeragi
Banned

No, as in I'm against your idea of Igurashi taking over the main manga art. It is quite a..... bad idea, if I soften my words.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-14, 21:40   Link #2963
Peanutbutter

Another observation here.

This time on the name Shizuno Takakamo (高鴨 穏乃)

Based on my understanding on the chinese characters in her name (or kanji), the following is what each character meant:

Spoiler:

I hope I am onto something here. Inputs/corrections/comments are welcome.

P.S: We all know what Saki means, right? So, the name of the 2nd MC must have some symbolism, right?
Peanutbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-14, 21:46   Link #2964
Sumeragi
Banned

I'll just repost what I wrote last year:

Quote:
The following is the compilation of the name meanings of the featured school students and commentators. Individuals are not included.

Kiyosumi

Saki (咲): Blossom (laughter, flower)
Nodoka (和): Harmony, peace
Yuuki (優希): Plentiful yearning
Hisa (久): Long period of time, defend/block
Mako (まこ): Truth (possibly name version of 真)

Achiga

Shizuno (穏乃): Relaxed/peaceful/unmoving/trustful/calm person
Ako (憧): Undecided, yearn for
Kuro (玄): Black, deep, mysterious
Yuu (宥): Generous, magnanimous, support, capture, profound
Arata (灼): Burn, vigorous, clear
Harue (晴絵): Clear picture

Ryumonbuchi

Koromo (衣): All-covering (Funny name: the batter coating of Japanese deep frying)
Touka (透華): Transparent/bright/clear prosperity/flower/light
Hajime (一): Single
Tomoki (智紀): Wise string/rule
Jun (純): Pure, truthful

Kazekoshi

Mihoko (美穂子): Beautiful ear of grain child
Kana (華菜): Prosperous garden
Miharu (未春): Future spring
Seika (星夏): Star summer
Sumiyo (純代): Pure/truthful times
Takako (貴子): Precious child

Tsuruga

Yumi (ゆみ): Bow (weapon) (Kanji versions are too numerous to count)
Momoko (桃子): Peach child
Kaori (佳織): Beautiful cloth
Satomi (智美): Wise and beautiful
Mutsuki (睦月): First month of the lunar calendar

Shiraitodai

Teru (照): Shining, bright, light, mirror
Sumire (菫): Violet/pansy
Takami (尭深): High and deep
Seiko (誠子): Sincere/earnest/devoted child
Awai (淡): Clear/pure

Rinkai

Satoha (智葉): Wise leaf
Nelly: Most likely the English version of the Georgian name Elenie, derived from Helen (meaning torch, corposant, moon)
Megan: Little Pearl
Myeonghwa (明華): Bright prosperity
Huiyu (慧宇): Wise house

Eisui

Komaki (小蒔): Small dill (the herb)
Tomoe (巴): Tail, snake, whirlpool
Haru (春): Spring
Hatsumi (初美): First beauty
Kasumi (霞): Sunset

Senriyama

Toki (怜): Wise, have pity
Izumi (泉): Spring (water)
Sarah: Princess
Hiroko (浩子): Wide/prosperous child
Ryuuka (竜華): Dragon's harmony

Himematsu

Suzu (漫): Scatter/disperse, filled up
Yuuko (由子): Supporting child
Hiroe (洋榎): Ocean/satisfied/overfilling catalpa
Kinue (絹恵): Silk wisdom
Kyouko (恭子): Polite, courteous child
Ikuno (生野): Lively field (most likely the Ikuno district)

Miyamori

Shiromi (白望): White hope (Normally means empty ambition)
Aislinn: Dream, vision
Kurumi (胡桃): Walnut
Sae (塞): Block, defend, fortress
Toyone (豊音): Prosperous sound
Toshi (トシ): Year

Shindouji

Kirame (煌): Shining (fire)

Commentators

Fujita (靖子): Peaceful/dominating (as in defeating chaos) child
Sukoya (健夜): Strong night
Kouko (恒子): Eternal/always child
Uta (詠): Sing, recite
Eri (えり): Too numerous to count, given different variations of kanji

Advice: Ignore surnames when you do these kind of analysis, unless there is a definite trend like in the Raildex universe.
Old 2013-02-14, 21:51   Link #2965
Rava

Quote:

Awai (淡): Clear/pure
Well, Awai is definitely a clear example of someone who's mind is purely in outer space...
Rava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-14, 22:14   Link #2966
Sol Falling

Quote:
No, I would be completely against that.
Quote:
No, as in I'm against your idea of Igurashi taking over the main manga art. It is quite a..... bad idea, if I soften my words.
Agree here. It'd be great if Igarashi could get another spinoff or something going but replacing the main manga art is out of the question.

Please note that page limits are also partially dependant on the magazine, as a bimonthly release I believe Young Gangan's chapter lengths are probably limited to the same as for weekly mangas, meaning that roughly ~20 pages per issue would be the upper limit. It is unreasonable to compare Saki's per chapter pagecounts with Achiga's, which is a monthly manga.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-14, 23:00   Link #2967
Marina2

But if Ritz get someone to help with art work, it is guaranteed that the manga will be released 2 chapters per month like it should be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanutbutter View Post

Based on my understanding on the chinese characters in her name (or kanji), the following is what each character meant:

Spoiler:

So, in the final round

- We will have Saki who is blooming on the top of mountain
- We will have Shizu who is looking over that mountain
- We will have Awai who is the star that look at them from space

Now, I wonder how 4th player name will play with this

Last edited by Marina2; 2013-02-14 at 23:24.
Marina2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-14, 23:24   Link #2968
Bladezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by teja208 View Post
Aren't most of them just simply born with it and discovered them later while they were playing? But yeah I'm curious how Mairu and Himeko discover theirs'. Could be that either one of them is a crane in disguise.
I did say that the ones specific draws and probability skewering abilities are just noticed by the girls as they continually play mahjong.
I doubt either one is a crane. Maybe Himeko and Mairu are children of Childhood friends, who didn't get stay together, then got back together in later life, or they are reincarnated lovers.

Quote:
And why do I get this feeling that we will be getting tons of Awai's flashbacks in the finals?
This would actually be a logical choice, because this is where Miyamori got their flashback proper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarajis View Post
I'm not too sure about this... the last time there was a monster-slayer wannabe, she got herself crying on her seat and was on the verge of wetting her panties... (opsss... my mistake... the word panty is taboo in sakiverse... please forgive me... ) until another monster saved her ass...
Well Kana did start off well, until Saki pretty much went 'lol, no I'll be stopping you here'.

Quote:
Lesson learned... don't go monster-slaying in the presence of another monster because it's not just very dangerous but you could also find yourself in a world of hurt... to go up against monsters is to be a monster yourself or you'll just going to be another peon to be sacrificed...
Yumi, seems to do well against monsters, also I can see Nodoka doing good against monsters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Tell that to Yumi. Well granted she also lost, but unlike the self proclaimed monster slayer she actually did put up a battle while not being a monster herself.
That's what people loke about Yumi, is that she actually put a strain on Saki and Koromo without having strong flow control or an ability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina2 View Post
This is a big mystery for me too. Considering how their powers work, they probably didn't discover the abilities while they were playing in their clubroom. Could it be that they discovered them in the middle of a competition?
Wouldn't be surprising, but I think they discovered in elementary school. Yes I'm saying Himeko let out a loud moan in the middle of club activity, while playing mahjong.

Quote:
Tell that to Kyouko and Satoha too. Did they give up after their last year's failure? No sir, they come back this year stronger than ever. In fact, there are larger number of monster slayer wanabes than you might've imagined and although the idea may sound foolish, you have to give them credit for even dare enough to made such a bravado attempt especially to those who can put up a good fight like Shisu is doing now.
Except Kyouko and Satoha were always good players on their own, as shown as Satoha clearly putting a fight against Teru last year and managing come 3rd in the nationals. While Kyouko managed to actually keep up Kasumi and Toyone, while making Saki crap her non-existent panties.

Quote:
But of course, unlike most shonen manga the protagonist of this story happens to be a monster player so...
I think the nationals will finally have people who can give Saki proper challenges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eavein18 View Post
I think Satoha is more "monster" then "monster slayer"

When Fujita Pro say that "but the rules this year almost seem like they're a system for shifting out the most special kids from the masses", the silhouette shown is Saki, Koromo, Choe, Satoha and another one which I can't identify
Satoha I would say is just a great normal player, who knows how to deal with monster slayers, monsters, ability users and Flow control masters, after all she mocked Megan for running from Cold Touka, a flow control master.

Quote:
What I want to see next episode: Shizu breaking Toki-Ryuuka's combo in the third to last hand, Shindouji's combo in the second to last and and Awai's double riichi on the last hand. Setting herself as the wildcard antagonist for Saki. Mwhahahaaha
Actually Shizu can't block Himeko's key as well as Ryuuka's foresight, because Ryuuka can't use her combination with Toki, when Himeko has a key from Mairu.

Quote:
Icing on the cake: Achiga actually ousts Shiraitodai from the finals, making Saki lose interest in the tournament leading to her falling out with Nodoka, which was hinted at in the first season's last episode. Dundundun.
No, Shiraitodai are build as the team that Kiyosumi will have to beat in the nationals, just like Ryuumonbochi was.

Quote:
After I saw Achiga Ch.19 RAW, I have to say I really like Shizu's face expressions in this chapter.

In some shots, she looks very clam and confident.
Well this does match up well with her play style and character

Quote:
You have similar ideas with me but ...

1. I would like to see Shizu breaking Toki-Ryuuka's combo, Shindouji's combo and Awai's double riichi at the same time. (This can do in the second to last round) It msut be super epic.

2. Achiga defeats Shiratodai (in score) is actually good idea and nice surprise to the plot but It would be better if they only win by small point (500-3000 difference in score) and Shiratodai still get to final or end the match with the score equal to Shiratodai's.

and...no, this won't make the final round lost its tension. The goal of Kiyosumi/story is not [beat Shiratodai] but [become the champion]. Shiratodai lose to someone else before the match with Kiyosumi won't be a problem here, in my view point. In the end, Kiyosumi will still have Shiratodai, Achiga and 4th school as their enemies in the final round.
1. Shizu can't break all of Himeko's key and Ryuuka's foresight as the same time, Ryuuka is unable to see when Himeko has a key. Now what I see is Himeko possibly using her key getting back in 2nd, and then in the last hand Ryuuka uses her last foresight, to get back into 2nd, Awai double riichis with the intention of dropping Shindouji out of the game, or doing it to attack Shizu, for basically becoming a real annoyance and stopping her multiple times. But Shizu stops them both by getting a direct ron on Shindouju and bringing Achiga to 2nd.

2. I could see it happening, but I say wiht sore staying in 500-100 range, and if did happen it would finally force the press in Saki to acknowledge the players who don't have big boobs, look cute or a past champions. Also hopefully it would shut them up about saying smaller prefectures are weak.
Actually its not a bad idea, because Sumire said that Shiraitodai were only going to get serious if there was a chance of them dropping to third and not progressing, in other they don't care if they only place 2nd in this match, they will however apparently rain down destruction in the finals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fukarming View Post
I am happy with the development. I have doubt initially when they want to give Shizu an ability is that they need to explain why she didn't use it on the previous match against a bunch of no names. Now the explanation is clear: since her ability is imagine breaker she cannot use it on people with no ability.
Yep Shizu is a case of specific criteria needs to be meet for ability to work, just like how Teru in her match had 3 limiters placed on her, someone who can dodge her no matter what, someone she can't bust and someone who forces her into going for higher hands by attracting dora.

Quote:
Also Awai's ability, while has high firepower, has low priority. Consider how Saki overrides Toyone's pursue Richi, and how Teru overrides everything, Saki, if playing as well as she normally can should be able to take out Awai.
Teru can't override everything, Toki can still win with her foresight, she just has to stay silent, she can't cancel out magnet abilities. Although what makes Teru scary is she is still a fearsome player when forced with limiters and is able to play like a demon. Actually Awai's double riichi when paired up with her 5-6 shaten is what makes her scary, also I have to wonder, what happens if Awai calls kan more then once, does it mean she gets more kan ura dora? Because if so she would be a real thorn in Saki's side, who uses the dead wall to also build her hands into more expensive hands with more kans.
Also I can't believe that its been this long and we only now have someone who has an ability connected to ura dora.

Quote:
So far, Saki, Teru and Koromo all have kind of a sense what their opponents will ron at. No one at Achiga-hen, other than Toki (with her premonition) have that ability so far.
Teru's ability and play style was revealed in Achiga-hen...
Also its more along the lines of Saki and Teru can tell when someone is about to win, while Koromo can sense the value of someones hand.

Quote:
I do agree, that to make Achiga to go through, Shizu had to break the Shidouji combo and/or lap pillow combo to make Achiga worthwhile. Achiga might go through without Shizu breaking anything (all three of them keep on ronning at each other, so Shizu's points is basically untouch) , but it would make Achiga looks lucky rather than deserve to go though.
I say have Shizu win through breaking the others abilities, or we're never going to hear the end of the Achiga haters who keep saying they have plot armour, and then the whining would never stop about Shindouji and Senriyama were cheated out of their place in the finals. Or how Achiga is totally undeserving of being in the finals, how they have no skill and lack any proper motivation. Because as we know wanting to help Harue get over her fear is wrong of Arata, wanting to reunite is totally not what Ako and Shizu should do and apparently completely undeserving of playing with her again. Sorry had vent.

Quote:
Read Achiga Chapter 19:

Spoiler:
Leave to Hiroko to be able to actually be able to figure out someones ability by observing their match. Harue spotting Sumire's tell not so unlikely now is it? What with a high-schooler being able to figure out an ability that is actually quite complex. Also knewit, everyone falls into the trap of jsut looking at the records, while Harue actually bothered to watch the full recordings of matches.
Except a pro already did break Himeko/Mairu's combination. The day Shindouji had a practice match with a pro, the pro busted every member in the club except Kirame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fragment off View Post
The probleme is that apart from the already mention Chan-kan by Yumi (and her online plays) She always seem to play in others' hands on purpose.
The only other time i see is that time when she dealt in Nodoka's hand in the begining of the serie
Can we really be sure Saki deliberately dealt into Nodoka's at the beginning of the start of the series, after all both Saki and Nodoka were holding back, Nodoka unintentionally and Saki stopping herself from winning.

Quote:
Reading the Achiga chapter again, it looks as if Ritz already has the finals' last match in mind or perhaps the finals itself already.

Now the only thing left to do is to flesh out Side B's semis.
Well that's something Riyz properly had planned from the start, from the looks of things it will have emotional investment for Saki and Nodoka, what with Saki's older sister and Nodoka having Kuro, Ako and Shizu there. I think Ritz has a epic finals in mind with a clear clash of monsters, strong ability users, and dangerous normal player with monster players.

I predict Side B will be fleshed out by the end of 2014, and we will learn all of Usuzan's members name by the end of the year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by night_sentinel View Post
Yup. I think its 7,700 points.

The han calculation are:
+1 han for Chankan
+3 han for the Dora
Which totals to about 4 han.

Fu calculation is
+ 20 for winning
+ 2 for open pon of 7 characters
+ 2 for having a central wait
Which totals to 24 fu. Fu is rounded up so its 30 fu.

Thus the hand is 4 han 30 fu = 7,700 points.
Is it bad I still can't do this? Despite knowing how to play and when I'm in fruiten...
I get by just by normally keeping my hand closed and calling riichi, only really call when I'm dealer.

Quote:
Anyway, about Saki's online record, has she managed to patch up her online play during the training camp? I know she was doing very badly during the beginning but she did manage to use Nodoka's digital power against Momo during the individual, which I assume needs some sort of skill in online mahjong.
Or it could be another case of her being able to use her partners ability temporally, still that said Saki and Momo's match may not be canon to the manga.

Quote:
The representatives for Side- A on the finals is getting a bit too obvious. All I have to do is look for the collection of powers that will impede Saki's abilities the most. And of course the ones who has the most narrative weight.

Regarding Shizu's power, it looks like it activates based on the dice roll. Maybe when the dice is on the snake eyes pattern? If its true, its very situational ability and it would probably be an unconscious thing as well.
Well, both Achiga and Shiraitodai bring narrative for both Saki and Nodoka, who are both leads. Something that could happen in the finals is maybe Nodoka gets shocked by Arata and sees Harue's silhouette at the table, like what happened in the finals, and by seeing Nodoka feels like she did when she joined Achiga's children mahjong club, leading to her being able to actually except the occult accept of the game, but still keep her Nodocci mode working.

Or her ability could be like Touka's where she enters a trance a short while, except unlike Touka, Shizu is willing to except that part of her play style. Also I doubt it works around the nice, because otherwise Shizu's ability would be to unreliant, plus there's only so many times a dice can land on snake eyes before it really does come off as the game was rigged to specifically help Shizu and impede the other players.

Quote:
If the above is true, I think I can safely predict the sides for side-B too.

Spoiler:
Spoiler for Spoiler:

Quote:
Lol ... Jokes aside, unless Shizu actually manage to consciously control her ability or use it more consistently, I think Awai will be the more dangerous one to Saki. That 6-shanten and the double riichi with ura dora will be hard to deal with. And if Ritz were looking for more hardship for her protagonist, Side-B would probably get someone who will control the flow to break Saki's ridiculous table control.
Well that would only leave Nelly from Rinkai, because Kyouko doesn't really know how to control the flow properly and is just a really good normal player. And I doubt Usuzan has a flow control master, I see them more along the lines of having a few monsters, that in their 2nd year, because 2nd years are the only year with 1 monster that being Jindai. And by this I mean in the team tournament.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
2 girls are from Rinkai -_- Rinkai is powerhouse. Satoha is world class, 2 monsters and another one who bails out because she got scared on cold Touko but she said she is stronger now. I wonder what is the last one. The one who is in Chinese dress.
You mean Hao? Apparently she's a silver medalist in the Incheon mahjong league, I'm guessing she's a good normal player or strong ability user. Still I do wonder what achievements Megan has, possibly the no 1 player in the US?

Quote:
What position Cloe sits in?

I also wonder what Usuzan can offer.

Side B are all scary bunch compare to side A

I also want to see Kiyosumi in danger. So far all of their fights are good and even when Saki sits in. The scores aren't in danger. Now there are 2 monsters in Rinkai. I want to see Kiyosumi in danger that will push Saki to go all out monster on them.
We have no idea what position any of Rinkai are, we were guessing Lieutenant or Sergeant for Choe.

Strong lesbian subtext, that will make any pair of Yuri goggles spontaneously combust? Just kidding. I see the possibility of them at least 2 monsters present, or they have some really strong monster slayers.

I think having Kiyosumi come in 2nd would really help them get away from, completely unbeatable team, plus is also seems that the semi-finals would be a good place for when they really start to feel pushed, what with Satoha actually challenging Yuuki during the east round. Plus please for the love of all things don't skip over Mako's match again Ritz.

Quote:
We also have an incomming problem between Nodoka and Saki as foreshadowed in the last ep. of Saki anime - if that is canon - which we don't know the reason yet.
I honestly don't really believe the preview at the end of the Saki anime, because it has Nodoka reacting with shock to Hatsumi's gates of evil, when Nodoka does not react to anything surprising that happens during a game.

Quote:
The problem is Saki's weird logic T_T (remember she call I-got-no-power-Kyouko "the most resilient" when she got a one-suit hoarding miko and fortune user on the table)
Well don't forget Kana was a huge pain in the ass for Koromo when she got back her resolve.

Quote:
Kyouko is actually like Shizu that never gives up. Maybe those types are the one giving problem to Saki because of her weird mentality. She is easy to give up.

Which gives more points to Shizu being an anti-saki.
Well, Kyouko didn't necessarily give up, she got annoyed for Saki apparently mocking her by changing the drawing order, all changing the drawing order did was make Kyouko give the confidence boost she needed to take on Saki, Toyone and Kasumi.

Quote:
Its times like this that I feel that the draw was rigged. Just kidding.

If not you could always blame Hisa's "luck". Think about it, Hisa's power is hell wait. Hisa drew the lottery for Kiyosumi. If power affect someone's daily life, then the lottery that Hisa will draw will be the one with the worst odds. ^^

Anyway, Saki at full power will be nice to see. In hindsight, its quite odd that Saki hasn't really fought a match at her full strength ever. I swear Ritz likes heaping handicaps and mental blocks on her. Still, I believe that we won't be seeing it in the semi-final; My suspicion is raised once again due to the current match, Kiyosumi seems to be doing everything in their power to hide their strength.
I actually agree with the theory because Hisa's hell waits, she got Kiyosumi a dangerous placement.

This wouldn't be surprising as it seems Hisa didn't let Yuuki bust the school's in the 1st round, told her not to make calls. Also there's her busting 2 schools before Nodoka and Saki could play in the final round.

Quote:
I suppose a period of reflection is also good. But, I wonder if its a good idea for Saki to lose. Every time she "lost" or suffer any setback, she also gets stronger. Its not very noticeable but she learns from her failure very fast after she snaps out of her BSOD of course.
Actually I say having Kiyosumi in second would actually be good, plus having Saki be at full strength and actually work for a win would be nice for once.

Quote:
Rather then anti-Saki, I see Shizu as the reverse of Saki....

In term of relationship :
Shizu - Friends with Nodoka until they got into middle school then leave Nodoka because they're in different class + she has made new friend
Saki - *Havent been shown but I really can't see her leaving a friend*
Shizu didn't leave Nodoka, Nodoka moved, kind of hard to see a friend who moves to a different part of the country

Quote:
Originally Posted by morli View Post
Does dices have a pattern? I already read the yuri translation and still doesn't understand the relation between number two and snake
Could anyone explain it?

And judging from what Akado sensei said, it seems Shizu has multiple ability or multiple level based on dices...
So we could have another case of Toyone? Where the person has multiple abilities but is unable to use them because Saki decides to just stop the game.

Quote:
Maybe it's not limited to just [1,1] but [2,2], [3,3],[4,4],[5,5,] and [6,6] are also work.

I re-checked chapter 6 and the dices are [6,6] in that last round.
But she was only facing normal players then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Himmel View Post
I still think that the dice condition works because Awai's ability involve using walls to use her power.

or eh, maybe her ability is activated when the dice get double numbers. Based on what Marina is saying, her ability might not only be limited to negating special powers because on what happened during the last match is that there's no special powers involve... Since she's winning in that condition, I think the ability is something that can pull a win regardless of the situation.
That would really be annoying for other players, but I do doubt that is her ability, because Awai was completely unable to win, when monsters should still be able to screw with abilities like that.

Quote:
Eh, interesting coincidence. Looks like Shizu ability based around dices is getting more credibility.

And I just know that mahjong wall also called 'mountain'. Isn't that like the last page where Shizu see the mountain? Is it related to Shizu ability?
Well, the dice are about the only thing Ritz hasn't touched yet. We had the obvious powers of winning with specific hands, haitei raoyue, pursuit riichi, bad waits, being connected to certain rounds and tiles, and the more ridiculous ones of being possessed by Goddesses, binding your hand to give your partner a good starting hand when they play.

Quote:
From what I understand on the chapter too. Koromo tried 5 haitei but manage to do only 3. And as the battle goes on it looks like its becoming hard for her to do haitei.

So Shizu is probably the type that get used to her opponent as the battle goes on.
That makes sense for Shizu, even more if you take into account how it Harue seems to have taught them.

Quote:
Is that so? But the phrase "mountain" is repeated many times in this chapter... so I thought "mountain" was related to Shizu ability. Like what, I dunno, control the wall/mountain with dice power?
Nice theory, but doesn't really match up with her stopping Koromo from winning with her signature yaku

Shizu "negating" ability doesn't come out frequently, there must be condition to activate that, like getting dice with snake eyes...
If Shizu must get used to her opponent to activating her "imagine breaker", in round 2 Shizu would practically became invincible because all the player already show their playing style. But we know that's not the case. All of them still could use their ability.[/QUOTE]

Actually this could be a case of how often they use their abilities is how long it takes Shizu to stop them, plus Ryuuka's and Himeko's aren't necessarily stoppable. Still it's probably not impossible to stop their abilities, Pretty sure Saki or Teru would be able to fuck with Ryuuka's foresight to a guaranteed win, and break Himeko's key to victory (sorry couldn't resist the pun)

Quote:
That is true but the expression of Shizu in the end of the chapter say something different. Like when she said she has better view. Maybe she has better understanding of the opponents though I'm still not sure but one is the IB effect happens with dice condition but what about this ability that she will show next. Is it still IB or there is more to it. We just need to wait and hope that Ritz will be fine and can do the next chapter already though it will be delayed right? with the announcement of her getting surgery or is it not confirmed a delay release?

Though even if Shizu has IB that will still not help her and Awai with Saki's monster table control and six sense. Maybe Shizu can stop Saki from spamming kan but unless they can do better or mess with Saki's control they are still doomed.
I think Awai just using Kan for ura dora, already fucks with Saki's control, because the dead wall is where she pulls off her amazing comeback hands. Plus the finals could be when Saki actually has a true challenge, meaning she won't have stopped amounts of control, and not because she's scared.

Quote:
The scary thing about Both shizu and Saki is that we know there is more to them that what they showed , but don't know how much.
But if Shizu end up having multiple-abilty ...

For the 'montain theory' I couldnt help but thing this would be fun as Saki is " The flower atop the montain"
Well whats pretty annoying about Shizu is we are only really now learning about her ability when she's the god damn main character of Achiga-hen, and we could have seen her ability in action early by seeing her train and stop Yuu and Kuro from winning with their magnet abilities.

Quote:
Yeah... on the finals, it would be something like...

Harue: "So, Shizu... do you see those three girls... do you think you can conquer those three mountains? Can you make your way through the finals?"
Shizu: "Yes, I have an excellent view... I can see so clearly that I see flowers along the mountain ridges... I think we're screwed! "
Quote:
Think reverse: By conquering the mountains, everything on it will be conquered too.

Saki: Look, there are flowers blomming all over the mountain
Shizu: So, what? entire mountain is mine. Do I have to tell you that's I'm actually standing on the tree atop the montain???

Quote:
(just for fun)

Harue: "So, Shizu... do you see those three girls... do you think you can conquer those three mountains? Can you make your way through the finals?"

Shizu: "Yes, I have an excellent view... I can see a flower fairy making flowers bloom!!!"

Harue:
I see it more as Saki is the flower who blooms on the mountain, Shizu is the one who climbs the mountain to see the flowers and enjoys the view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangejuicetang View Post
Onto Shizu's ability, I sort of do like how Koromo mentioned she failed twice. Because the first time it happens, the ability user in question like Awai and others might just put it up to a 'fluke' or 'losing focus', but on the second time, when Koromo was paying attention and 100% focused and still couldn't manage it, that's when she probably realizes that something is happening.

Interested in the fact that Teru mentions that there are about 10 high schoolers who can break Awai's ability. I wonder if we've already seen a few of these players, maybe a few 'monsters' over on Kiyosumi's side of the bracket?
I'm expecting for Koromo to give us a full explanation on Shizu's ability next chapter or for Hiroko to be able to explain it and realize Senriyama is screwed in going through to the finals.

Jindai's a real possibility of being able to stop Awai

Quote:
Hmmm... wonder if Sae's tenpai-blocker can work... probably can if and only if Awai's starting hand isn't in tenpai already

Awai declaring Riichi means she can't change her hand, so Toki will be fine.
Sae's ability is not to block tenpai, she literally seals your hand, meaning you won't be able to win
Toki may not be able to stop it, just dodge it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kona~chan View Post
if i remember it right saki also got ron'd against maho (using hisa ability) at training camp.

but looking at awai i really hope she able to do consecutive kan like saki or got more than 4 ura dora
Maho never used Hisa ability in the training camp, she only used Saki's, Yuuki's and Nodoka's.

Yes having Awai do that would be really interesting.

Quote:
Saki is the flower that Top the tallest montain , where no other can bloom.
If the mountains are the strong player Saki is the one Atop the strongest , no matter who it is she is atop, you can't run away , she will alway be here
But Shizu seems to be the one who will limb the mountain to reach Saki's level.

Quote:

Spoiler:

P.S: We all know what Saki means, right? So, the name of the 2nd MC must have some symbolism, right?
Nice spot especially seeing as this all match with Shizu's play style and personality.

Quote:
Rinkai

Satoha (智葉): Wise leaf
Nelly: Most likely the English version of the Georgian name Elenie, derived from Helen (meaning torch, corposant, moon)
Megan: Little Pearl
Myeonghwa (明華): Bright prosperity
Huiyu (慧宇): Wise house
Pretty sure Hao and Choe are their first names.

Quote:

Toki (怜): Wise, have pity
Izumi (泉): Spring (water)
Sarah: Princess
Hiroko (浩子): Wide/prosperous child
Ryuuka (竜華): Dragon's harmony
Are you sure your right with Sera's name, because the translators seem to romanise it as Sera. Also you failed to spot Toki's naming also meaning time

On a different note we learned a little about Shiraitodai's inner workings. What I can see is that Teru's team wouldn't have made it as the school's team if Teru wasn't present to get them the huge point jump they. Also I think I can work some of Shiraitodai's strategy, get Teru to get a huge point lead, have Sumire target different schools to increase the gap between them, this allows for Takami to safely use her Harvest Time ability and get her end Yakuman, Have Seiko speed through the vice-captain match before handing it off to Awai, who finishes up the match.

P.S Sorry for the long post, I've been unable to actively take part for a while.
Bladezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-15, 00:02   Link #2969
morli

Quote:

Spoiler:

Quote:

Shizuno (穏乃): Relaxed/peaceful/unmoving/trustful/calm person
I think 穏 (Shizu) in this mean quiet or calm, referring to her "negating" ability. This is the easiest to figure out

For 高 (Taka), it was rather hard with the amount of information we have. But I think this is referring to mountain, after that last scene with mountain like that. And in mahjong, mountain is known as "wall" as well. I'm inclined to believe Shizu ability is controlling that wall...

That ability related with her "negating" skill too, because if Shizu can control the wall, then Shizu can control which tile the player draw, no matter what supernatural ability they have.

And for your information, dice in mahjong give major factor on the wall arrangement...

For 鴨 (Kamo), that's referring to Shizu character I think

Last edited by morli; 2013-02-15 at 00:37.
morli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-15, 00:09   Link #2970
Marina2

Long post as usual, Bladezer

It's really hard to quote parts your post that I want to respond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladezer View Post
I honestly don't really believe the preview at the end of the Saki anime, because it has Nodoka reacting with shock to Hatsumi's gates of evil, when Nodoka does not react to anything surprising that happens during a game.
I think a littile detail like that can be different. The point is: most part of it is accurate to the manga (ability,effect, playstyle, characters etc.) so I think Nodaka and Saki part is canon.

Quote:
Actually Shizu can't block Himeko's key as well as Ryuuka's foresight, because Ryuuka can't use her combination with Toki, when Himeko has a key from Mairu.

Quote:
1. Shizu can't break all of Himeko's key and Ryuuka's foresight as the same time, Ryuuka is unable to see when Himeko has a key. Now what I see is Himeko possibly using her key getting back in 2nd, and then in the last hand Ryuuka uses her last foresight, to get back into 2nd, Awai double riichis with the intention of dropping Shindouji out of the game, or doing it to attack Shizu, for basically becoming a real annoyance and stopping her multiple times. But Shizu stops them both by getting a direct ron on Shindouju and bringing Achiga to 2nd.
How did you know Shizu can't? You do noticed that Shizu ability has some conditions to activate right? I think it more like she didn't activate it in those rounds.

Quote:
But she was only facing normal players then.
I was saying that each pair of number may have different effect and/or one of them can improve Shizu skill.

Last edited by Marina2; 2013-02-15 at 00:31.
Marina2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-15, 01:01   Link #2971
morli

I found an interesting fact, in all of the round before on the captain match, the dice count is between 5-8! Except for the snake eyes of course!

If Shizu ability is based around dices, maybe there is level of power, for example:

- Number 2-4 = Low probability win. This dice make enemy's win rate drop. The fact that Shizu win in 16th round means it affect Shizu's win rate too.
- Number 5-8 = Medium probability win. All player can use their supernatural power.
- Number 9-12 = High probability win. Shizu win rate increase. Like Shizu win in quarterfinal...

Last edited by morli; 2013-02-15 at 01:30.
morli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-15, 01:03   Link #2972
Requiem-x
The slacking one

First of all, my apologies for bringing my misguided fanboyism to the discussion, but...

"One more game."
"Eh? You mean 11 more games"

Oh, Shizu

On a more serious subject, what the hell does mountain climbing have to do with IB? Or anything? Could it be Shizu's power is just the ability to block plays once she's gotten the hang of everyone's styles? Harue, please provide a full explanation before everything is said and done. Also, I'm very glad she didn't just figured out everything about Awai instantly, that'd have been so anticlimatic.

Also, I think it's great Awai doesn't even register Shizu, definetly a much better way to show Achiga as the underdogs than having their player crying in despair Just you wait, supernova, the name Takakamo Shizuno will be engrave in your mind soon enough. I hope

Come on, Shizu, finish this with a bang!

Also, all my best wishes to Ritz. Get well soon, you magnificent lesbian.
Requiem-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-15, 01:16   Link #2973
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Pretty sure Hao and Choe are their first names.
Pretty sure that you have been mixing up Eastern order and Western order here. Most importantly, Choe Myeonghwa is half-Korean and Hao Huiyu is of Chinese descent.

To say it softly, I would have figured you would know name orders by now.

Quote:
Are you sure your right with Sera's name, because the translators seem to romanise it as Sera.
Her name is written as セーラ, which indicates it's most likely supposed to mean Sarah.

Quote:
Also you failed to spot Toki's naming also meaning time
怜 does not have the meaning of time in Japanese, and I'm pretty sure it does not have such meaning in any language.

Quote:
I think 穏 (Shizu) in this mean quiet or calm, referring to her "negating" ability. This is the easiest to figure out
Post was made last year, so now we know.

Quote:
For 高 (Taka), it was rather hard with the amount of information we have. But I think this is referring to mountain, after that last scene with mountain like that. And in mahjong, mountain is known as "wall" as well. I'm inclined to believe Shizu ability is controlling that wall...

That ability related with her "negating" skill too, because if Shizu can control the wall, then Shizu can control which tile the player draw, no matter what supernatural ability they have.

And for your information, dice in mahjong give major factor on the wall arrangement...

For 鴨 (Kamo), that's referring to Shizu character I think
Surname is useless in analysis.
Old 2013-02-15, 01:42   Link #2974
teja208
Critical fanboy

Quote:
Except Kyouko and Satoha were always good players on their own, as shown as Satoha clearly putting a fight against Teru last year and managing come 3rd in the nationals. While Kyouko managed to actually keep up Kasumi and Toyone, while making Saki crap her non-existent panties.

Satoha I would say is just a great normal player, who knows how to deal with monster slayers, monsters, ability users and Flow control masters, after all she mocked Megan for running from Cold Touka, a flow control master.

P.S Sorry for the long post, I've been unable to actively take part for a while.
Isn't Satoha being a "great normal player" also made her a potantial candidate for "monster slayer" title? I'm not sure I fully understand what you are implying, but it seems you have a different definition for both terms. As for me, I viewed the term "great normal player" as general quality of a "monster slayer" since someone here pointed out that it is unwise to go monster slaying unless you happen to be a monster yourself which I don't think is entirely correct. I personally believe that monster slaying should be encouraged amongst skilled normal players with lots of gut. It maybe my personal bias, but I admit a little part of me want to see them succeed the impossible or at least not giving up till the very end.

I guess my standard prerequisite for the monster slayer is too high. I stand correct, maybe I should've dropped the "wannabe" part and just labeled Satoha and Kyouko plain "monster slayer" instead since they both probabily accomplished quite a few monster slayings to made it this far into the tournament. However, if one want the title "Monster Slayer King" they have to at least conqour one of the Miyanaga sisters. Yeah, one of them should be enough to earn that title.

P.S. Don't fret about it, just post whenever you have time for it.

P.S.S. The post above me regarding Toki's name, I'm not sure I fully get this, but I believe what Sumeragi is trying to tell you is while toki also means time in Japanese, it's written using a different Chinese character from the one Toki's name is written. Same pronounceation, different meaning I guess.

Last edited by teja208; 2013-02-15 at 02:13.
Old 2013-02-15, 02:30   Link #2975
eavein18

I don't think Ritz would like anyone to "take over"

It's much like when Hisa say "a win is a win, but what about her pride"

True if Igurashi take over the manga will be out faster and Ritz will have more resting time, but how would Ritz feel?
eavein18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-15, 03:05   Link #2976
teja208
Critical fanboy

Now that you mentioned it, I guess that's true in a sense that I would've said no as well if I were the author. Sorry, I'd got a little carried away with the idea which is very inconsiderate of me.

Ah well, let us be patient and wait till Ritz-sensei finally recovers and ready to write again.
Old 2013-02-15, 04:43   Link #2977
cedec0

Hi, it is my first time posting on this Achiga-hen message board. I have some ideas/predictions about Shizu's power and what is going to happen next chapter, and I would love to gets some reactions/feedback. Here is what I suspect:

1) Shizuno's ability is NOT simply an image breaker. That is only one aspect of Shizuno's power. Her true ability is basically this: the more she plays against an oppenent, the more she can criple that oppent's play. This crippling takes MULTIPLE forms, one of which is "disabling special abilities" (image breaker). Other aspects of her power (once it activates) include "preventing opponents from drawing winning tiles" and "never dealing into oppenent's hand".

Shizuno regards opponents as "mountains" which she slowly climbs, conquers, and completely shuts down.

2) If I am right about the true nature Shizuno's ability, Achiga-hen is going to end in a one-sided massacre. Shizuno is about to become the one of the most overpowered players in the Saki universe while the other schools struggle desperately for second place.

;--------------------------------

Clues about Shizuno's power/ability:

Clue #1) Shizuno disables Awai's ability (everyone noticed this one)

So Shizuno seems "to be able to disable opponents abilities".

Clue #2) The unatural lack of tsumos in the second hanchan

In the first ten hands of the final round, there were six Rons (60%) and four Tsumos (40%). What is more, these Tsumos are evenly distributed throughout the ten games.

Then Shizuno activates her ability., and we get six straight games without any tsumos.

This strongly suggest that, once Shizuno's ability activates, she can "prevent opponents from drawing winning tiles". (By the way , the "prevent opponents from drawing winning tiles" would also prevent Koromo's Haitei Raoyue)

Clue #3) Shizuno's complete lack of damage in second hanchan

In the first ten hands of the final round, Shizuno loss points in 50% of the hands (four Tsumos and one Ron). Then Shizuno activates her ability, and avoids all damage in the next six hands.

This suggest that, once her ability is activate, Shizuno can "avoid dealing into opponents hands". (Combined with the lack of Tsumos, this makes Shizuno is immune to all damage.)

Clue #4) Shizuno's ability seems to take time to go into full effect.

Going by what happened to Koromo and what is happening in the current match, Shizuno needs to play her opponents many times before her ability activates, and then that ability gets stronger as time goes on. So Shizuno should be at her strongest at the end of the second hanchan (which is why I suspect that Achiga-hen will end with a one-sided massacre)

Clue #5) Koromo suggests that Shizuno has monstrous potential (everyone noticed this one too)

When Koromo played Shizuno two months ago, she "could already see a spark".
http://www.mangahere.com/manga/saki_...a/c019/29.html

This suggest that Shizuno's ability was rough/developing when she played Koromo.

"the second time around, I couldn't manage any haitei"
http://www.mangahere.com/manga/saki_...a/c019/30.html

So When Shizuno played Koromo and prevented her from getting Haitei Raoyue, her ability was still in rough/developing stage. Now, if Shizuno's incomplete ability is that powerful, what is the real thing is like?

Clue #5) The mountain climbing imagery

When Shizuno first activates her power, there is a flash of Shizuno standing on a mountain.
http://www.mangahere.com/manga/saki_...a/c019/30.html

Shizu's coach "Do you think you can conquer those three mountains?"
http://www.mangahere.com/manga/saki_...a/c019/71.html

Chapter 19 ends with the imagery of Shizu standing on top of a mountain thinking "I've got an excellent view!"
http://www.mangahere.com/manga/saki_...a/c019/74.html

So in summary:

A) Shizuno's opponents are "mountains" she must conquer.
B) As Shizu conquers said montains (opponents), she can criple their play in multiple ways ("disabling abilities", "preventing them from drawing winning tiles", "never dealing into their hands. ", etc)
C) Shizu is now standing on top of said mountains (opponents) thinking "I've got an excellent view!"

To me, this looks like a one-sided massacre waiting to happen.

Three other things to note:

1) Shizu's ability might be limited to "mountains" (monstrous players with special abilities), making her the ultimate giant-killer.

2) Shizuno is the main character (Saki's equivalent in Achiga-hen). It would be weird if she didn't turn out to be an over-powered monster.

3) Plot-wise, a Shizu one-sided massacre would give Shiraitodai a reason to rearrange their lineup. So the final round of the finals might be Shizuno, Teru, Saki, and some other monster.

Last edited by cedec0; 2013-02-15 at 05:58. Reason: fixing typo
cedec0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-15, 05:03   Link #2978
atua

Quote:
Maho never used Hisa ability in the training camp, she only used Saki's, Yuuki's and Nodoka's.
She probably did use Hisa's hell wait in her 3rd hand. (Saki Ch 61, pg 12) She passed up a 3 sided (4, 7, 8 sou) wait for the 3 pin pair wait, when she drew the 6 pin for tenpai. The rest of the discards weren't shown, so it's not 100% that it was a hell wait, but Hisa notable reaction to both the discard and the win, and Maho's own thought bubble ("there's something behind this dora!") strongly implies it.

The fact that Maho can use abilities of people who're nearby, and not just her opponents, opens up a lot of possibilities if she ever gets better at mahjong... Imagine her channeling Kokaji-pro for a hand, if her copy ability "range" gets beyond line-of-sight/room, to say people on the same floor/building/conference centre, LOL. Maybe Kainou-pro has the professional level version of this skill?
atua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-15, 05:21   Link #2979
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

Quote:
So Shizuno should be at her strongest at the end of the second hanchan (which is why I suspect that Achiga-hen will end with a one-sided massacre)
Though what will happen is probably that Shizu will counter each players ability late game and then take a win by countering Shindouji It might not seems like a massacre if she's only going to win a couple of hand, but it's highly possible that her spotlight would be when she counters all of her opponents ability.

Her calm demeanor is actually pretty scary too in the scene betwen her and Ako.

Von Himmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-15, 05:28   Link #2980
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedec0 View Post
3) Plot-wise, a Shizu one-sided massacre would give Shiraitodai a reason to rearrange their lineup. So the final round of the finals might be Shizuno, Teru, Saki, and some other monster.
Doesn't work like that. The lineup is fixed during the tournament.

Tags
mahjong, nopan, seinen, sport, yuri