AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2007-08-13, 01:22   Link #1
Tiberium Wolf

Program to compare files

Let's say you have a folder with 10.000 pictures. Either in jpg, png, gif, etc. Among those 10.000 files there some repeated(with different file names). How do you remove the repeated ones? Going manually see the each picture and them memorize isn't viable. So does anyone know a program that picks 1 file and then check into a target folder if that file exists there? I mean since we are looking for repeated picture files with different names then the program should be comparing the binary code to see if it's same.

I am making this thread coz I haven't found 1 in google. The ones I found had really bad interface, only worked with files names or with txt files only.
Old 2007-08-13, 02:45   Link #2
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberium Wolf View Post
Let's say you have a folder with 10.000 pictures. Either in jpg, png, gif, etc. Among those 10.000 files there some repeated(with different file names). How do you remove the repeated ones? Going manually see the each picture and them memorize isn't viable. So does anyone know a program that picks 1 file and then check into a target folder if that file exists there? I mean since we are looking for repeated picture files with different names then the program should be comparing the binary code to see if it's same.

I am making this thread coz I haven't found 1 in google. The ones I found had really bad interface, only worked with files names or with txt files only.
I don't have a quick solution, but this might help. If I was to do it in Linux I would generate the md5 sigs of all your files from one directory and then compare it to the other. The md5 sigs don't take into account the file name. If you want I could try to hack together a script to generate a list of duplicate files for u, but you would have to install cygwin. It would have to wait until the weekend as I have a few deadlines coming up Darn real life getting in the way of my anime watching!

But searching for an application, try looking for something that generates and compares md5 sigs.

*Edit*
How about this one

http://www.al-soft.com/dfd/duplicate-file-finder.shtml

It does md5 checks

*Edit again*

bleh sorry its pay for software

Try this instead, it seems to be able to detect duplicates with different file names.

"Match by file content (binary file compare)"

http://www.dupkiller.net/index_en.html

Sorry I don't have the time to test it first...
Old 2007-08-13, 03:14   Link #3
Tiberium Wolf

OK I'll try that prog.

Edit:

I have tried the program and it works. Only 1 annoying problem encountered. When I wanted to close the program it wouldn't close. Pressing the X in the corner or the exit button. Ahhhh... Only way was task manager and End Process. Kinda gay! Tried again the program and it didn't happen again. Weird unstable prog.

Thx. It really does what I wanted it to do.

Last edited by Tiberium Wolf; 2007-08-13 at 03:31.
Tiberium Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote