AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2003-11-04, 02:55   Link #1
daedalus6

Protection fetish?

Have you noticed how in manga or anime protecting something/somebody happens alot?

Is it something like US westerns value independence more so that protecting something is not so ofter seen in movies and tv series?

Are we really that different?

Well honestly I have no idea what to say about this matter, There were a lot of intresting points and a good thread on our last message board so lets take it from here? I would really like to see some disscussion about this.
daedalus6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-04, 03:37   Link #2
Yellat

Send a message via AIM to Yellat
Quote:
Originally Posted by daedalus6
Have you noticed how in manga or anime protecting something/somebody happens alot?

Is it something like US westerns value independence more so that protecting something is not so ofter seen in movies and tv series?

Well honestly I have no idea what to say about this matter, There were a lot of intresting points and a good thread on our last message board so lets take it from here? I would really like to see some disscussion about this.
most westerns ive seen seem to show someone protecting some chick whos to stupid to pull the trigger, even if its shown that she can shoot/defend herself well from/at protector. the protector on the other hand is a lone wolf dude normally. westerns (at least in the usa) dont value family anywhere near as much in my expirence. im done spewing garabage.
Yellat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-04, 09:31   Link #3
Esperchld
Photographer

It is a trait that many people in the USA could use. Society here is falling apart because of peoples concern more for material things than the people around them. I believe that this trait is inherent in human nature, but the greed seems to push it aside. It would be nice if we could do away with this greed, but alas we can't for that is another part of human nature.

This whole outlook of looking out only for number one is part of what is making our society fall apart. I know that the western world is an individualistic society, but we take it too far. We really need to start caring about other people as much as we care about ourselves.
Esperchld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-04, 09:38   Link #4
u&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by daedalus6
Uhm, well I guess we are.

What it probably boils down to in the end is differences between Western/Asian philosophy. I haven't studied much philosophy though so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong (and since I'm not asian I could be like double wrong).

I'm not really sure how our rationalistic worldview made us so egocentric and how the asian moralistic/spiritualistic worldview made them so much more consious abot the collective though...

Crap. I don't know. I guess you have to be really well educated to give a good answer to questions like these. I've been wondering about similar stuff as well like if there is a good explanation to why anime/manga is character driven compared to western stuff etc...
u&t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-01, 12:39   Link #5
riku-chan

Send a message via MSN to riku-chan
basically, americans are so egotistical that we can't spare the time to protect anything. i think that's might be a big reason why alot of people are drawn to the stories behind different anime. protection is a major theme, along with family honor, which is around the same thing. But i think they protect the people or objects around them, whatever, because the japanese have a better concept of what we are supposed to do with ourselves. We aren't here to just simply gain power, though some could argue *villians! muhahah*. i think they are trying to say that we need to realize we have things to protect.
riku-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-01, 14:52   Link #6
Amun-Ra
þąıń

I think you are generalizing the Americans and Japanese into those roles unfairly. Maybe the majority of Westeners (you have seen?) are like that, but not all of them. Just as it is with the Asians. They have their values which do make them seem more noble. Even so, we are all free to choose as we live. We see the world, absorb knowledge and make our own paths. Its freedom. The goodness of people`s hearts cannot be measured and given an approximate reckoning of by noting the differences in Anime content.
Amun-Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-01, 16:14   Link #7
lavielove

Actually what we really need to protect is our family but if that kind of theme is adopted in manga and anime,things will be not so attractive.We have our born responsibility to know the gratitude our family own us and we need to give it back or we need to protect our family to show responsibilty.If we have our own family,we also need to think about the responsibility to protect our own family.I think it's all about gratitute and responsibilty.
lavielove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-02, 00:10   Link #8
clem-kun
Shi-Fa Staff

Send a message via AIM to clem-kun
LOL, when I read this thread I thought of something completely different and inappropriate.
clem-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-02, 06:53   Link #9
JKL
Kyuuketsuki

Heh, I thought the same thing.
JKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-02, 08:31   Link #10
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Quote:
Originally Posted by riku-chan
basically, americans are so egotistical that we can't spare the time to protect anything. i think that's might be a big reason why alot of people are drawn to the stories behind different anime. protection is a major theme, along with family honor, which is around the same thing. But i think they protect the people or objects around them, whatever, because the japanese have a better concept of what we are supposed to do with ourselves. We aren't here to just simply gain power, though some could argue *villians! muhahah*. i think they are trying to say that we need to realize we have things to protect.
Well true to a point. I live in america, but i don't think we are all like that. I think we protect because in life, we've gone thru it doing nothing but to be egocentric and superficial toward ourself. Protection is more like giving yourself to another for their sake than your own. But don't think of this in a wrong way like those anime you have seen.

It's basically true, that once you obtain some kind of relationship, but more usually the guy becomes protective of the woman. I know for sure that I become protective once I get a girlfriend. And the same goes for parents. So think of protection of more like a duty then a task.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clem-kun
LOL, when I read this thread I thought of something completely different and inappropriate.
TOO much anime for you and JKL. You and your sick fetishes. ^_^

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-02, 09:19   Link #11
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Protecting someone is kinda tied in wit love...^_^; (and not just the romantic kind) I cannot name many series where love is absolutely nonexistent (anime and manga).