AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Macross Frontier: Sayonara no Tsubasa Movie Rating
Perfect 10 40 42.11%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 33 34.74%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 12 12.63%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 5.26%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 3.16%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 2.11%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-03-28, 08:03   Link #1761
Father Hentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMeKags View Post
Not exactly. There wasn't much of Hikaru and Misa art that I recall. More of Minmei and Hikaru or just Minmei by herself. Hikaru and Misa weren't really featured. At least not as couples. But yet they won.
Uhm. Just looking at DYRL only Misa and Hikaru came together during their odissey. It is very similar to Alto and Sheryl in the series. They were "stranded" on Frontier and people closest went on their own journey.
Old 2011-03-28, 08:07   Link #1762
LoveMeKags
#1 Ranka Fan!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Hentai View Post
Uhm. Just looking at DYRL only Misa and Hikaru came together during their odissey. It is very similar to Alto and Sheryl in the series. They were "stranded" on Frontier and people closest went on their own journey.
I'm talking about the official art of them. There wasn't one that I found where they were considered a couple, just them saluting each other. All the time, Minmei was pushes with Hikaru on the covers of magazines and whatnot. I'm not talking about fanart.

To be honest, Minmei was the most popular character in the whole show. She has 3 times more artwork than both combined!
Old 2011-03-28, 08:20   Link #1763
raile
Retired Toaster
*Author

Quote:
And I'll say this: You can tell me you're sorry for me all you want, but the day will come when I'll ask Kawamori MYSELF if he never thought of an AruRan ending. When I hear it from HIS LIPS that he didn't, then I will accept your words. Until then, I say you can't feel sorry for me, as there are plenty of AruRan moments that you guys just don't seem to analyze our way.

In a lot of ways, AruSherri shippers ALSO see what only THEY want to see. AruRan shippers are the same. That is why we have wars.
And when that (improbable) day comes, Kawamori will wonder why you would ask such a stupid question that he had already obviously answered with the movie.

What was the name of the last soundtrack of Macross Frontier? By golly gee, I forgot!
Wait, it was Sayonara no Tsubasa ~The end of (fucking get over it) Triangle~.
Old 2011-03-28, 08:23   Link #1764
LoveMeKags
#1 Ranka Fan!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raile View Post
And when that (improbable) day comes, Kawamori will wonder why you would ask such a stupid question that he had already obviously answered with the movie.

What was the name of the last soundtrack of Macross Frontier? By golly gee, I forgot!
I hate to say this, but there are a LOT of authors that will put one couple together but support both. I have met one person who put a couple I hated together, but he said he liked both ideas, but went with one he thought would be accepted best. Turns out, he was right too.

It's all about thinking what your READER would like, for most authors. Me, I do what I want in a book.
Old 2011-03-28, 08:27   Link #1765
wisteria233

Quote:
I'm talking about the official art of them. There wasn't one that I found where they were considered a couple, just them saluting each other. All the time, Minmei was pushes with Hikaru on the covers of magazines and whatnot. I'm not talking about fanart.

To be honest, Minmei was the most popular character in the whole show. She has 3 times more artwork than both combined!
There are official pictures of their wedding, and dates and the two of them hugging, you really should try to at least google image search before you make assumptions.

Oh and what were those series in question out of curiosity?

Actually during the original airing of the tv series Misa was more popular than Minmei.

Though I say this the only ending I really hated was the one to Ichigo 1000%, but that's because

1) The girl who won not only wasn't around for most of the series
2) Her and main guy broke up and she moved to another country
3) They only got together because of a misunderstanding, after the fact the author then applied retcons to make the girl like him, even though the girl admitted to not knowing who the boy was
4) Even when they frequently weren't on the same page
5) They don't don't have anything in common
6) And when she did show up it was to drive the point home that their relationship wasn't going anywhere (as in not progressing), and they couldn't understand each other
7) The mangaka solved the above by basically not allowing the main character to achieve his dream, despite establishing the fact that he was a good director
8) He was closer to all of the other girls than he was to one he actually chose, and he met those girls later on
9) Both of them actually admitted to losing affection for one another
10) The characters involved lampshaded the fact that the main character was significantly much closer to the rest of the girls than the one he chose
I could go on...

But even then I accepted the ending and moved on, and you should too.

Last edited by wisteria233; 2011-03-28 at 08:47.
Old 2011-03-28, 08:30   Link #1766
LoveMeKags
#1 Ranka Fan!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisteria233 View Post
There are official pictures of their wedding, and dates and the two of them hugging, you really should try to at least google image search before you make assumptions.

Actually during the original airing of the tv series Misa was more popular than Minmei.
In official arts, Minmei was the more popular. She had a whole BOOK with at least 64 pages worth of artwork for her. Whilst Misa, I think, had quite a bit less.

Trust me, I did google. It's hard to find any artwork inbetween all the fan work. Remember the internet is LARGE!
Old 2011-03-28, 08:44   Link #1767
Thess

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisteria233 View Post
If AruRan have no official art together depicting them as a couple, then shouldn't that have been a clue in and of itself?
There is some, but nowhere near Sheryl/Ranka's level...

As for the official pictures, it's possible since Hikaru (unlike Alto) was really deep into Minmay in the beginning. But I have lots of Hikaru/Misa ones too. I remember that Mikimoto answered once in a Spanish interview (in a magazine known as Kame years ago) that if he were Hikaru should have chosen Minmay, not Misa. So...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Hentai View Post
So a love triangle between bobby, alto and brera is not possibly anymore?

Brera won easily.

Spoiler for second movie:

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Old 2011-03-28, 08:46   Link #1768
raile
Retired Toaster
*Author

Quote:
I hate to say this, but there are a LOT of authors that will put one couple together but support both. I have met one person who put a couple I hated together, but he said he liked both ideas, but went with one he thought would be accepted best. Turns out, he was right too.

It's all about thinking what your READER would like, for most authors. Me, I do what I want in a book.
Oh really? Okie dokie then! After all, you have all these great sources that only you came across and stumbled upon (like that novel/book where Hikaru ends up with Minmay).
Be sure to tell Kawamori all that you have said and analyzed here. I'm sure he'd love to hear it.

On a related note to the thread, is the movie still going on in theatres?
Old 2011-03-28, 08:59   Link #1769
Thess

Quote:
Oh really? Okie dokie then! After all, you have all these great sources that only you came across and stumbled upon (like that novel/book where Hikaru ends up with Minmay).
I think she could have misunderstood Macross the First as that? (Although who knows how that one is going to end up since it's not over yet and Mikimoto is in charge. He who favors Minmay over Misa easily).

Guys, I have to be honest. I don't think Kawamori is going to care if people like Alto with Sheryl or Ranka or a Valkyrie flying alone on the open sky...? He's too busy with his mecha to get involve in shipping wars. Let's agree to disagree?

Quote:
On a related note to the thread, is the movie still going on in theatres?
I don't know. This could be useful for you?

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Old 2011-03-28, 09:01   Link #1770
LoveMeKags
#1 Ranka Fan!!

Quote:
Guys, I don't think Kawamori is going to care if people like Alto with Sheryl or Ranka or a Valkyrie flying alone on the open sky...? He's too busy with his mecha. Let's agree to disagree?
I'm not a guy.

But I agree. Kawamori is all about his mecha, after all.
Old 2011-03-28, 09:01   Link #1771
teelatsuki

Quote:
In a lot of ways, AruSherri shippers ALSO see what only THEY want to see. AruRan shippers are the same. That is why we have wars.
Let me tell you I started watching frontier because of a bet i lost with my brother and since the get go I tough that ranka was going to win (and also I always root for the obvius couple, unless given material not to, like one of the parties being total jerks wich is what Sheryl came across the very first episode) by episode 7 I wasn't sure anymore.

But by the end of the series (actually episode 22 was what ultimately sold it to me) I was totaly on the arusherri ship, even when I used to have Aruran shipping goggles, I'm pretty analitical and even if I don't aprove of a ship I could admit that said ship is the canon one, to make sure of it I passed the series to my friends and shared views with others that have watched it, ALL of them ended on the arusherri ship even without shipping goggles they came to the obvius conclusion.

Since recently I am receiving classes about history structure and how to translate it to a movie and other media I could tell you this, if they intended anyone to believe that aruran had high chances by the end of the series then they did a really awful work at it.

Movie verse wise they did a way better work but sadly while having bigger chances Ranka seemed friendzoned from the get go for me.

Marketing wise the reason why there is so many Arusherri oficial artwork is because they were selling that pairing as the main one you don't promote a product that you are not going to sell.

Spoiler for the final:
Old 2011-03-28, 09:03   Link #1772
Thess

Quote:
I'm not a guy.
It's a generic way to address "hey you all"...

Old 2011-03-28, 09:08   Link #1773
raile
Retired Toaster
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thess View Post
Much thanks~
Old 2011-03-28, 09:11   Link #1774
wisteria233

Quote:
Originally Posted by teelatsuki View Post
Let me tell you I started watching frontier because of a bet i lost with my brother and since the get go I tough that ranka was going to win (and also I always root for the obvius couple, unless given material not to, like one of the parties being total jerks wich is what Sheryl came across the very first episode) by episode 7 I wasn't sure anymore.

But by the end of the series (actually episode 22 was what ultimately sold it to me) I was totaly on the arusherri ship, even when I used to have Aruran shipping goggles, I'm pretty analitical and even if I don't aprove of a ship I could admit that said ship is the canon one, to make sure of it I passed the series to my friends and shared views with others that have watched it, ALL of them ended on the arusherri ship even without shipping goggles they came to the obvius conclusion.

Since recently I am receiving classes about history structure and how to translate it to a movie and other media I could tell you this, if they intended anyone to believe that aruran had high chances by the end of the series then they did a really awful work at it.

Movie verse wise they did a way better work but sadly while having bigger chances Ranka seemed friendzoned from the get go for me.

Marketing wise the reason why there is so many Arusherri oficial artwork is because they were selling that pairing as the main one you don't promote a product that you are not going to sell.

Spoiler for the final:
The same thing actually happened to me. When I started MF I was an AruRan shipper but when I actually continued to watched the series I realized that there was nothing there. Alto just wasn't interested in her like that and its kind of hard to ship a couple when one of the parties isn't in having a relationship, and it was the same on many of forums I've been on not just this one. That's why I kinda feel sorry for LoveMeKags.
Old 2011-03-28, 09:24   Link #1775
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thess View Post
Guys, I have to be honest. I don't think Kawamori is going to care if people like Alto with Sheryl or Ranka or a Valkyrie flying alone on the open sky...? He's too busy with his mecha to get involve in shipping wars. Let's agree to disagree?
Not to put a too fine point to it, but... why then make Macross Frontier 80% about the romance in the first place?
Old 2011-03-28, 09:25   Link #1776
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Not to put a too fine point to it, but... why then make Macross Frontier 80% about the romance in the first place?
Because fangirls.
Old 2011-03-28, 09:28   Link #1777
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post
Because fangirls.
Seems he catched quite a good number of fanboys, too.
Old 2011-03-28, 09:37   Link #1778
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Seems he catched quite a good number of fanboys, too.
Yeah, that's undeniably true. But it wasn't until I saw the audience at the movie that I realized just HOW MANY high school girls are TOTALLY INTO Frontier.

Slightly related story: The other night, I met a girl who lives near me. We hit it off, and she ended up coming back to my place. I had accidentally left a Mandarake bag lying about (Mandarake is THE place to go for anime stuff) and she asked me if I was an otaku. Worried that I had completely blown my cover and ruined any chances with this girl, I mumbled something like, "Yeah, a little." Then she surprised me by saying, "Me too!" I asked her what she liked, and she said "I love Macross!"

So yeah...you won't hear ME complaining about Frontier fangirls. God bless 'em, every one.
Old 2011-03-28, 09:42   Link #1779
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post
Yeah, that's undeniably true. But it wasn't until I saw the audience at the movie that I realized just HOW MANY high school girls are TOTALLY INTO Frontier.

Slightly related story: The other night, I met a girl who lives near me. We hit it off, and she ended up coming back to my place. I had accidentally left a Mandarake bag lying about (Mandarake is THE place to go for anime stuff) and she asked me if I was an otaku. Worried that I had completely blown my cover and ruined any chances with this girl, I mumbled something like, "Yeah, a little." Then she surprised me by saying, "Me too!" I asked her what she liked, and she said "I love Macross!"

So yeah...you won't hear ME complaining about Frontier fangirls. God bless 'em, every one.
Congrats, I hope it does work out.

Anyway, Kawamori seems to have broadened the franchise by focusing on the romance. Makes you wonder what the next big Macross project will look like and if they will go back a bit to the Frontier well before starting said next big project. I only hope that we still will get one or two OVA's, one each for the series and the movies, that's all I still want, some closure on both accounts. Additional fluff OVA's would be appreciated, too.
Old 2011-03-28, 09:42   Link #1780
Lancel

I didn't ship anyone throughout my entire first watch through of the series. My reaction was just "Meh, Alto can pick whoever he wants, WOO! EXPLOSIONS!" Yes, I was largely in it for the space fighters, the mecha, and the explosions, but the side story drama was relatively entertaining itself and contributed well to the battles, making them emotional and relevant. At the end I was kinda laughing at how the series ended and in awe of the awesome (From a mecha and explosions perspective, that ending was perfect). Since it amused me though I took a minute and thought about it and more or less treated the ending as an invitation for the audience to choose for him, because he's indecisive. I decided Sheryl made the most sense. My brother decided Alto wasn't into girls (but he's a troll).

It was only later that the shipping bug started biting me and like some bug bites I didn't even realize I'd been bitten. I can only guess it started when I looked back upon the series and what it really meant to me. The show lingered in my mind for no immediately discernible reason, as it seemed largely a normal series, but I realized it wasn't the overall series, just one aspect. Sheryl was what was lingering. And I watched the whole series and just said "You know what? Alto isn't the main character in Macross Frontier. Sheryl is." I guess kinda like what's-his-face said in an interview about how Sheryl's story always manages to find its way in.

I forget what point I was trying to make. I guess what I'm saying is that although I think AxS made the most sense to me, I wouldn't have minded AxR and I could see it happening. I just feel like Sheryl would have been fine in the end.

Now I think I'm off on a tangent. I'm just going to end this here.

Addendum: And I think I took too long to write that. Eheh.

And brilliant! By creating a show with romance and mecha he has brought together fanboys and fangirls and given them something in common! It's all a bid to save the geek population from extinction due to a lack of breeding.
Closed Thread

Tags
mecha, movie, romance, science fiction, song