AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2009-11-18, 18:22   Link #401
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

anyone play Dragon Ball Online?
Old 2009-11-18, 19:05   Link #402
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Anyone who couldn't enough of the art style of Manabi Straight might take a look at a new Aeria game in closed beta at the moment: Grand Fantasia.

The cute will rot your innards I think.... I may call dibs on the necromancer.

http://grandfantasia.aeriagames.com/
Its not that cute ingame as the art... I would say.
Old 2009-11-19, 22:17   Link #403
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
Its not that cute ingame as the art... I would say.
Aye, I'm playtesting in the closed beta. Its "okay" but definitely has that "Lower Powered Machines can play" look.

Nothing really spectacular stands out against other asian-imported MMORPGs other than:
1) Interesting variation on pets and crafting -- your pets do the crafting while you quest and hack.
2) Its more colorful than DOMO but not as colorful as, say, EtherSaga.
Old 2009-11-20, 04:00   Link #404
GreenSquid

Hi,

What do you guys look for in when deciding what a good mmo might be? I ask as I run a couple of text based mmo's and naturally want to increase my player base, what would attract you?

I changed the main front page which users come to the site with two characters of the game, even though it's test base. I think it is nice to have an option for images as well.

(See sig for DragonWarsOnline link)

There is an option of making it a 2d/3d game in the future... but would need more of a story I think..

Suggestions?

Thanks

Last edited by xris; 2009-11-20 at 13:44. Reason: Removed URL
GreenSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-21, 02:31   Link #405
Kafriel
Senior Guest

MMOs don't have to look great, their strong point is usually the community and the party quests. There needs to be a story, not too vague so as to deter players from questing, but not too long and complex that players only do quests-unless they are focused on specific areas per level and give the player a 20% training window.
When it comes to skills, flexibility is always nice, I prefer MMOs that have more than the "right way" to build your character, where any other tree leads to failure.
Finally, there should be more to do than grinding and raiding...be it fishing, crafting, farming or trading, anything that gives the game a purpose.

EDIT: I just noticed your MMOs are browser-based, which makes my post rather useless...unfortunately I don't have much experience in those.
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-21, 04:34   Link #406
GreenSquid

Hi,

Yeah, I did try and work out how to make it better by making the community stronger. However due to its PVP most of the old people on there aren't bothered by the story, the main point is winning (which is true of most games I guess). The chat I put in at the side seems to have attracted a lot of attention, even though they can chat in the forums.

There also isn't any questing as such, in order to level up you can battle with a trainer or with another player which raises your level. There are also some skills you can level up as well. I would like to increase these, but there's no point if they don't contribute something to the game, also there is the thing that people like the game as it is easy to play. If I start making it a bit harder, then I might loose some people

However saying all that, I am looking into making a 2d/3d version which could incorperate all of this... however that could take a while to make

Thanks
Old 2009-11-22, 21:32   Link #407
Click This
CEO of Asia!

Location: 167 East 51st St, New York, NY, 10022 - N40° 45.4097', W073° 58.2709'
Send a message via MSN to Click This
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yumii-chan View Post
Here is a list of some free and english mmorpgs with cute anime style

Ether Saga
http://eso.perfectworld.com/
Spoiler for pictures:

Holy Beast Online
http://hb.getamped.com/home
Spoiler for Pictures:

DOMO (Dream of Mirror)
Europe only: http://www.gametribe.com/gt/domo.do
Everyone else: http://domo.aeriagames.com/
Spoiler for Pictures:

LaTale Online sidescroller that I recommend~
http://latale.ogplanet.com/main.og
Spoiler for Pictures:

S4 league Online anime shooter that I really recommend~
http://s4.en.alaplaya.net/
Spoiler for Pictures:

Trickster
http://trickster.ntreev.net/
Spoiler for Pictures:

Scions of Fate
http://fate.netgame.com/
Spoiler for Pictures:

Seal Online
http://sealonline.dontblynk.com/
Spoiler for Pictures:

Wonderland Online
http://wl.igg.com/
Spoiler for Pictures:

Dragonica 3D online sidescroller that I recommend~
Europe: http://en.dragonica.gpotato.eu/ad/
Everyone else: http://dragonica.iahgames.com/
Spoiler for Pictures:

Didn't need to have Flyff or Ragnarok in the list since everyone allready talked about it.
EDIT: added Dragonica

Is S4 league a free to play game, or is it paid subscription only?

Click This is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-25, 21:33   Link #408
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
Anyone who couldn't enough of the art style of Manabi Straight might take a look at a new Aeria game in closed beta at the moment: Grand Fantasia.

The cute will rot your innards I think.... I may call dibs on the necromancer.

http://grandfantasia.aeriagames.com/
Hmm this I think I might or more to the point have to check this out later.
I was gonna try out DDO but theres alot to it and not really up to the task atm plus my comp doesn't handle it all too well.
I'm still playing Dragonica which has surprised me till now cause never thought I would stick with it so long.
I'm still ulitmately waiting on Guild Wars 2, its one long wait -__-
Old 2009-11-26, 09:04   Link #409
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

If you dont absolutely need cutesy characters you might try http://www.dofus.com/en

It features 12 classes with different spells and has a pretty big community. There is an "end" if you want to call it like that as the level is capped at 200, but as long as you dont play 14h/day it will take some time to get there as 199-200 is practically the same as 1-199 ;_; It also has professions and you can modify your equipment but it usually comes with a big risk and it takes some time to understand the maging system.

Currently Dofus is in the 1.29? stage and will upgrade into 2.0 version this weekend which will make the characters more uh chibified and massively improve graphics and gameplay. The game is divided into a small area you can access as F2P but if you want the full content you have to pay. Its not really expensive and you can also pay for 1-4 weeks, 1,3,6 and 12 months at once. They dont offer all pay services in all countries though.

Having played it for almost 4 years I can say that it has some heavy balancing issues. I dont recommend to PvP unless you have one of the classes that excel in it or having extremely good gear. Customer support is T E R R I B L E and the support page is confusing as hell. There are some bugs that are still around since beta (buffs running out too early, shooting through a wall, etc) but its not like they totally ruin the game. If you can see past those flaws you might give it a try.

Keep in mind though that there are lvl200 on every server (it has 30+ I think) so if you are looking to get a fresh start on a new game you probably should try something else. When choosing a server make sure to take one for your language, there are tons of french servers (the company is based in France), a number of international ones and several spanish, german, and so on servers.

As a final note, Dofus is heavily based on killing monsters for experience, quests do exist but their benefit is so marginally small (with one exception) that they are not worth the time.
Eisdrache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-26, 09:39   Link #410
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

There's http://www.wakfu.com/en too.
Old 2009-11-27, 03:56   Link #411
GreenSquid

mm that does look pretty cool.

there's lots to consider when designing a mmo def
Old 2009-11-27, 12:11   Link #412
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

You could include Fiesta online, it has got very restricted classes, but it makes up for the fast paced gameplay at later levels (all characters get AOE spells other than the cleric and it is about clearing dungeons + grinding).

I am trying out Grand Fantasia tomorrow. Anyone else playing? PM me with your IGN.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-27, 17:23   Link #413
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Well I gave Grand Fan a little jolly jaunt and is very nice indeed, alot to it but not too much it feels overwhelming.
Only problem for me is my comp doesn't handle it well when I switch windows, I can't change song on itunes without it taking awhile.
Where as other games like Guild Wars and Dragonica have no probs at all.

I went with a necromancer for time being but I think I'll have to go with my fav Wizard later.
Old 2009-12-04, 03:35   Link #414
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I'm finding the crafting system a bit addictive ... and I was going to go Necro but I have a little Berserker that I keep spending time playing o.O (I hate tanking... why am I enjoying this one?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats
I've no idea about the *game* yet... but the web and concept art is absolutely hilarious in a very good way. Love the character art.

edit: oh... an classic orthogonal game. ah well... will still check it out as it might be suitable for my Ancient Crusty laptop.
Old 2009-12-18, 18:39   Link #415
Sassarai
Army of One

FF14 Beta signups now avail!

http://www.finalfantasyxiv.com/
Sassarai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-18, 21:30   Link #416
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

I'm trying out Grand Fantasia. It's a cute and fun game. From what I can tell so far, the grinding isn't bad at all *shock* seem to lvl fairly fast.
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-19, 05:59   Link #417
Ryoukai
anime! rawr~!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara View Post
I'm trying out Grand Fantasia. It's a cute and fun game. From what I can tell so far, the grinding isn't bad at all *shock* seem to lvl fairly fast.
oh gawd.. just wait.. it's going to be a huge grindfest.. =="
i got tired for a while, and started again yesterday with a new account (brand new start )..

My opinions of Grand Fantasia:

PROS
  • Easy exp grinding for first 20-30 levels, making it bearable for first-timers.
  • Addictive. Period.
  • City designs were pleasing.. ^^
  • Quests give great money, but usually not much exp. Still, MONEY - those coins are your lifeblood...
  • Items are relatively cheap.
  • You can keep fortifying your equips until +9, I believe.. If it fails, you simply repair it, and fortify again if you have the scrolls.
  • Equips look hawt after upgrading to +5 or by using some unique items.. they give off a glow!
  • Create your own equips easily. Doesn't cost much time or money. Just put your sprites to work.
  • Money is much too easy to get - whether it's from quests or monsters.

CONS
  • Graphics could have been MUCH better.
  • Skill animations don't have much variety for some classes.
  • Becomes a huge grindfest, like most MMO's.
  • Community tends to ignore you most of the time. Harrassment is extremely rare, however.
  • Some quests make your life hell - including the ones you do at lower levels.
  • Needs more 'originality' - has a WoW feeling to it.
  • Sprites are so annoying!!!
  • Chat system is terrible. At least WoW (which many of the features seem to be based off) could switch between party talk, etc. easily with /g, etc.

NEUTRAL
  • Learn skills? Naww.. just buy them if you have enough money and your level is high enough!
  • Skill descriptions are a little cumbersome to read.
  • Aggressive monsters can make your life hell.

Then again, grinding is to be expected for an MMO :3
Ryoukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-19, 19:14   Link #418
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Grand Fantasia: lvl 30 seems to be point at which the grind overwhelms the storyline.

The sprites are evil.... you can have your sprite maxed out in all facets and have it fail repeatedly on creating an item within its talents. Too much random luck involved.

The chat system is indeed a bit borky (unnecessary differences in channel selection commands) and there is no "spammer reporting" feature, only block/ignore.

The community seems to depend on the time of day. There's been some recent problems with bands of idiots but one figures they'll toddle off to the next shiny game.

Fortifying your equipment to +9 is doable ... but any fail reduces the durability (kind of like Age of Camelot system). Restoring durability requires spending some real money.

Upside is you don't really have to spend real money to play.... it just makes it smoother.

There's not *really* a lot of individuality given the same class. So a lot of the characters look mostly alike in gear.
Old 2009-12-19, 23:04   Link #419
Ryoukai
anime! rawr~!!

Quote:
Grand Fantasia: lvl 30 seems to be point at which the grind overwhelms the storyline.

The reason why I quit for quite a while. The quests could have been made to give more exp.. here, it's just. not even 2%.

The sprites are evil.... you can have your sprite maxed out in all facets and have it fail repeatedly on creating an item within its talents. Too much random luck involved.

OMG I HATE SPRITES!! All they bring are items not worth much, stress, and bankruptcy. Only time they helped me out was when they actually succeeding making half an armor set.

The chat system is indeed a bit borky (unnecessary differences in channel selection commands) and there is no "spammer reporting" feature, only block/ignore.

We should contact them and make sure they put a 'report' feature on. I completely agree with this.

The community seems to depend on the time of day. There's been some recent problems with bands of idiots but one figures they'll toddle off to the next shiny game.

LOL.. so true.

Fortifying your equipment to +9 is doable ... but any fail reduces the durability (kind of like Age of Camelot system). Restoring durability requires spending some real money.

agreed.. i spent 20 C grade scrolls and got my bow to +9.. had a little over 30 durability left.

Upside is you don't really have to spend real money to play.... it just makes it smoother.

There's not *really* a lot of individuality given the same class. So a lot of the characters look mostly alike in gear.
Well, just a personal note: Don't play Grand Fantasia unless you love grinding, or you just want to try it out for the first 30 levels.

-is off to download Mabinogi: Heroes (korean)- that reminds me.. forgot that number you're given as a citizen =="
Ryoukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-19, 23:08   Link #420
Atmospheric
Dango Time~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonta Kun View Post
Hmm this I think I might or more to the point have to check this out later.
I was gonna try out DDO but theres alot to it and not really up to the task atm plus my comp doesn't handle it all too well.
I'm still playing Dragonica which has surprised me till now cause never thought I would stick with it so long.
I'm still ulitmately waiting on Guild Wars 2, its one long wait -__-
Yeah, I got to level 33? on Dragonica, but then got bored of it. I'm also waiting for GW2, as well as D3. Are you a Guild Wars veteran? I've played it since release, and honestly think of it as one of the top games. I wish they would hurry up with GW2, 2011 is the release I think. Did you see the latest trailer? Sylvari ftw.

Think I'll jump on the bandwagon and try grand fantasia! Harhar.
Atmospheric is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mmorpg