AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

View Poll Results: Lucky Star - Episode 02 Rating
Perfect 10 18 16.82%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 38 35.51%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 26 24.30%
7 out of 10 : Good 15 14.02%
6 out of 10 : Average 4 3.74%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.93%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.93%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 4 3.74%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-04-26, 17:37   Link #61
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

It has a variety of names in english depending on the brand... but "crane game" is as good as any. Actually I have no idea what 'ufo catcher' might refer since the things are almost always used with plushie merchandise....

hmmm, maybe the crane itself is supposed to look like a ufo descending to collect lifeform samples????
Old 2007-04-26, 17:53   Link #62
Meophist

Wikipedia simply refers them to "Claw vending machines", but "crane game" is what I often her them being refered to in video games like Link's Awakening, so I assume that's the common term.

I just found it odd that a.f.k. used "UFO Catcher" in their subs considering how much the group tends to localize things. Not that I mind, however.
Old 2007-04-26, 17:56   Link #63
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
lol i havent seen a.f.k.s sub but imo using creative words for situations like this are pretty funny ~ as long as it gets the point across and its not something entirely language/meaning based i can live with it :3

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2007-04-26, 18:06   Link #64
Meophist

Err… I'm not talking about creative words. I'm talking about a pretty common English equivilent to the Japanese "UFO Catchers". Unless you're talking about something else?
Old 2007-04-26, 20:56   Link #65
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meophist View Post
I was just thinking, aren't UFO Catchers called "Crane Game" in English?
They ARE called "UFO Catchers" in English. It is even written, in English, on the machine itself. They are pretty widespread around here (nefarious coin-sucking pink machines). I have never heard of them being called "Crane XX" before, it has always been "UFO Catcher" in times memorial.

ADD] As for the meaning of the name, it is pretty straightforward. The claw device had an UFO disc above the claws with spinning lights. In the past, the UFO had three claws, but apparently three made the game too easy, and it eventually evolved to the current two claw version.

Cheers.
Old 2007-04-26, 21:35   Link #66
Maveric
Aimai 3 cm

Send a message via AIM to Maveric
What the heck is a quo card?

And why does she want to collect them?
Old 2007-04-26, 22:00   Link #67
Meophist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
They ARE called "UFO Catchers" in English. It is even written, in English, on the machine itself. They are pretty widespread around here (nefarious coin-sucking pink machines). I have never heard of them being called "Crane XX" before, it has always been "UFO Catcher" in times memorial.
I know it's in English, but I only remember them being called "UFO Catcher" in Japan. I was pretty sure they're called by various other names here in North America.
Old 2007-04-26, 22:03   Link #68
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

There's an arcade nearby that has four of the things, and they're all labeled 'UFO Catcher.'
Old 2007-04-26, 22:12   Link #69
Maveric
Aimai 3 cm

Send a message via AIM to Maveric
I've seen em at the gameworks near here. They are indeed called UFO catcher. Probably because of the big UFO like bulge over the claw.
Old 2007-04-26, 22:16   Link #70
aorta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maveric View Post
What the heck is a quo card?

And why does she want to collect them?
I think it's a phone card. The Comptiq ones have anime/game characters on them.

See here:

http://www.comptiq.com/event/2007_winter/index.html

Quo is the company that makes them.

http://www.quocard.com/
Old 2007-04-26, 22:29   Link #71
robertness

Every time I hear a crane game called a UFO Catcher, I think of the scene with the green aliens in Toy Story. "It moves, the claw!" "Oooooooooooooooooooh!" Sorry to have intruded on Lucky Star goodness with a Pixar/Disney moment.
Old 2007-04-26, 22:36   Link #72
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Apparently, "UFO Catcher" is the "in" brand name these days for the things. I'll admit not having been to an arcade in 10 years....

(but yes, .... the first thought I had was from Toy Story....
oooooooooooh, He has been Chosen!!!)
Old 2007-04-27, 12:15   Link #73
Edgewalker
Nani ?

Guess Ill just stop while Im ahead. This show is clearly not going to go anywhere.

*Permanently backs out of lucky star forum*
Old 2007-04-29, 12:16   Link #74
Kai1
watashi wa L desu~

A lot of people don't like the lucky channel at the end but I do. It was quite funny in this ep when akira said "if you're just reading your lines, even a monkey could do that" -.-
Old 2007-05-01, 13:59   Link #75
Tatsumiko
*Artist

Konata sure rules in video games....and cramming for exams XD
Old 2008-06-08, 03:11   Link #76
Dee Eon

Mass Transit Situation Blooper

Hi all!

My eagle-eyed brother (because he ogles L*S girls for all the sick Soujirou reasons) noticed that in ep 2 the quad are going home after school and are waiting at the bus stop at the train station... but why? Don't they separately take different buses FROM eaches own home train station going home from school? Technically it works if the bus stop is at the school, but not the train station, so this was a slip-up! Way to go bro'!

Dee

"Miyuki's Spaced-Out Secret":

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4184788/...acedOut_Secret

"The Yamato Effect":

http://luckystarforum.com/Dee/The_Yamato_Effect.pdf
Old 2008-06-09, 02:21   Link #77
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Bus stops often have multiple bus liines that depart from them and they may be waiting for separate buses. However, the four don't live a huge distance from each other. It seems to me that someone actually worked out their fictional locales in Tokyo and which transit routes they'd take - but its been so long since the series aired I don't remember where I saw that.
Old 2008-06-09, 03:42   Link #78
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

His point was that if they were at the train station, they should have gotten inside and waited for their (different) trains.

Unless they walk from school to a train station, take a bus to a different station, and take the train there, I suppose.

Or maybe they have several possible itineraries, which they change according to mood, and had decided to take the bus instead of the train that day.
Old 2008-06-20, 15:35   Link #79
Dee Eon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
His point was that if they were at the train station, they should have gotten inside and waited for their (different) trains.

Unless they walk from school to a train station, take a bus to a different station, and take the train there, I suppose.

Or maybe they have several possible itineraries, which they change according to mood, and had decided to take the bus instead of the train that day.
Then, it kinda makes sense if they all took the bus from school to the train station to go their separate trains home as usual, but then at the train station maybe someone forgot their books or wallet or that an after-school movie was playing or they're just plain masochistic and are going to take another bus BACK to school! (Would you believe you can get PAID to check out inconsistencies and continuity-errors in movie post-production jobs? Check out Craig's List!) One reason to wish I lived n L.A. or NYC!)

But maybe it'd be fun picking out L*S mistakes and flubs like this in a Blooper Topic maybe??

Dee
Old 2008-06-20, 23:41   Link #80
Rembr

A lot of the scenes occur at totally different time settings even though they might seem to be back to back sequences. There was one scene where there were four people studying, and on the very next scene, one of the character got swapped with another, even though the scene carried on as if it was the same exact setting.
Closed Thread