AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-10-25, 05:19   Link #241
Rhyel
*Graphic Designer

I watched the episode 3, and understand now the felling about character design.

The main characters look remember me playmobil toys.

About the episode, many new questions come, but none of the older questions have a answer.

PS: New sig.
Old 2007-10-25, 05:23   Link #242
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhyelys View Post
PS: New sig.
Nice sig, but I have to ask... with everyone who seems to love that uniform... Am I really the only person in this thread who thinks that uniform is more appropriate to a prostitute than a starship captain? It has the be the least military uniform I've ever seen on an anime Captain! It's downright scandalous. How can she maintain respect and discipline when she's dressed that way?

I don't feel that there is anything wrong with a touch of fanservice. Lord knows I've seen some suggestive uniforms in the past, but this one just screams, "Please fuck me!" too loudly for me to ignore.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-25, 05:32   Link #243
Genjo
Genjo-Subs Founder
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa View Post
Nice sig, but I have to ask... with everyone who seems to love that uniform... Am I really the only person in this thread who thinks that uniform is more appropriate to a prostitute than a starship captain? It has the be the least military uniform I've ever seen on an anime Captain! It's downright scandalous. How can she maintain respect and discipline when she's dressed that way?

I don't feel that there is anything wrong with a touch of fanservice. Lord knows I've seen some suggestive uniforms in the past, but this one just screams, "Please fuck me!" too loudly for me to ignore.
LOL i agree with you it sure shows it
Genjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-25, 05:52   Link #244
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

More insight is needed on alien culture before passing judgment on the uniform.

Though I doubt we'll get much to justify it
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-25, 05:55   Link #245
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPianoBoy View Post
More insight is needed on alien culture before passing judgment on the uniform.
Very good point! Apparently on their planet it is believed that the more skin one covers, the more one has to hide. Only a person who will expose the full length of their all limbs as well as their navel and much of their breasts could possibly be honest enough to entrust with one's life and loyalty.

Looking at that uniform teaches us a lot about what they believe is necessary in a leader... or maybe the costume designer is just a huge perv.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-25, 06:56   Link #246
Rhyel
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Looking at that uniform teaches us a lot about what they believe is necessary in a leader... or maybe the costume designer is just a huge perv.
To me is very close to Claymore uniform without the metal parts. Plus a nice loyal cape.
Old 2007-10-25, 07:03   Link #247
Futaba-chan
Seigi no Mikata

Send a message via AIM to Futaba-chan Send a message via Yahoo to Futaba-chan
Quote:
Am I really the only person in this thread who thinks that uniform is more appropriate to a prostitute than a starship captain?
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph.../Stripperiffic

(There's certainly ample precedent.)
Futaba-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-25, 07:36   Link #248
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
I agree that it's probably the latter. I was just saying that I'd rather see more than 10 whole minutes of one aspect of their society before formulating an opinion. Maybe their military uniforms are conservative compared to their casual dress

Hmm... Wikipedia is telling me that a manga exists. I'm off to track it down.
Old 2007-10-25, 07:58   Link #249
Elehayym

Quote:
I agree with you and am quite bothered by it as well ^^; I've been enjoying the anime so far but every time i see those uniforms I can't avoid wondering what the designers were thinking x_x It also contrasts a whole lot with the school part of the story, that had such nice and serious school uniform designs XD

Kinda spoils the atmosphere for me, even though it seems like most of the viewers are appreciating it But dunno, Hagino really looks so out of place in that uniform x_x
Elehayym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-25, 08:05   Link #250
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elehayym View Post
I agree with you and am quite bothered by it as well ^^; I've been enjoying the anime so far but every time i see those uniforms I can't avoid wondering what the designers were thinking x_x It also contrasts a whole lot with the school part of the story, that had such nice and serious school uniform designs XD

Kinda spoils the atmosphere for me, even though it seems like most of the viewers are appreciating it But dunno, Hagino really looks so out of place in that uniform x_x
Um planet and military dominated by woman with no male influence why shoud they care?. Although we tend to think of the uniforms as a little racey. Put your self in the mind set of the series. Theres are not characters from earth that style of dress could be completly ok for their culture. Im not saying the designers had pure intentions when coming up with ideas but so far in the series the clothing designs have been fine. Im just giving them the benefit of the doubt. But we cant base our morals of dress on others especially if they are alien LOL
Old 2007-10-25, 08:12   Link #251
oneplusme
Simoun-Fans Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futaba-chan View Post
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph.../Stripperiffic

(There's certainly ample precedent.)
Indeed. Hagino's ample precedents are quite clearly displayed...

(Personally I rather like the hat. Don't ask why.)
oneplusme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-25, 08:13   Link #252
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
I'm glad i'm not the only one.

I do like how this show can switch from 'your normal everyday school life drama' to 'flying space-craft'. Not many shows would get away with the sudden switch from each scene that we've seen --- especially with some of the scenes from third episode. I am very impressed with that factor in the series, and as we can see the two are becoming more connected as we progress with the story.
Old 2007-10-25, 08:24   Link #253
Elehayym

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
Um planet and military dominated by woman with no male influence why shoud they care?. Although we tend to think of the uniforms as a little racey. Put your self in the mind set of the series. Theres are not characters from earth that style of dress could be completly ok for their culture. Im not saying the designers had pure intentions when coming up with ideas but so far in the series the clothing designs have been fine. Im just giving them the benefit of the doubt. But we cant base our morals of dress on others especially if they are alien LOL
Well, first of all, even though it's only women, it's a race of women that are attracted to other women, so the "why should they care" thing doesn't work They will still find that kind of dress revealing and attractive since that's what they're interested in o_o

Anyway, about the "clothing style morals" of the alien race, I'm not saying they're not realistic given the series setting; that's not really the point.
But as we both know, the clothes were designed by designers that have in mind the viewers, and it's quite obvious what the intentions were So I can't avoid thinking that I woud've preferred if they sticked to the kind of designs they used for the earth part of the story (as in less fanservice-y designs!) - maybe they did want to create contrast between school version and commander version of Hagino, but that doesn't make me like it anyway
Elehayym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-25, 08:26   Link #254
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Manga partially obtained (from Lililicious, no less), and to everyone complaining about the uniforms... well, I suggest you give these chapters a read. You'll be counting your blessings afterwards.
Old 2007-10-25, 08:47   Link #255
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elehayym View Post
Well, first of all, even though it's only women, it's a race of women that are attracted to other women, so the "why should they care" thing doesn't work They will still find that kind of dress revealing and attractive since that's what they're interested in o_o

Anyway, about the "clothing style morals" of the alien race, I'm not saying they're not realistic given the series setting; that's not really the point.
But as we both know, the clothes were designed by designers that have in mind the viewers, and it's quite obvious what the intentions were So I can't avoid thinking that I woud've preferred if they sticked to the kind of designs they used for the earth part of the story (as in less fanservice-y designs!) - maybe they did want to create contrast between school version and commander version of Hagino, but that doesn't make me like it anyway
well i see your point i guess we are just looking at it from different views. I saw it and did think wow thats pretty revelaing but shrugged it off almost instantly as well they are an alien race. Im well aware as we all are they the designers did not have 100% oure intentions. I guess i just dont let it bother me since we probably wont see too much of it. I get the feeling the story is going to focus more around the school setting than anything else. Im still sticking to why should they care apparently its perfectly normal for the military in Hagino's race to dress that way. DIfferent strokes for different folks i guess. ANyway the series is great iv loved every min of it so far
Old 2007-10-25, 09:02   Link #256
Rhyel
*Graphic Designer

Thinking about a Amazon Alien Race... Maybe a symbol of status and hierarchy are femininity and sexuality. Dresses walk together with it.

Looking "Please, fuck me" to us (men). Maybe in a female society is a "I am a superior".

Old 2007-10-25, 09:06   Link #257
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
I get the feeling the story is going to focus more around the school setting than anything else.
If this is going to tie into the manga at all, you're probably very wrong. In fact, this is probably going to get very dark very soon - especially when we find out what that mission is they're on.
Old 2007-10-25, 09:24   Link #258
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhyelys View Post
Thinking about a Amazon Alien Race... Maybe a symbol of status and hierarchy are femininity and sexuality. Dresses walk together with it.

Looking "Please, fuck me" to us (men). Maybe in a female society is a "I am a superior".

Well its been proven that woman are just as fierece at competing with one another as men. Using the reference from another kind of all female anime look at Vandred.
Old 2007-10-25, 09:34   Link #259
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPianoBoy View Post
If this is going to tie into the manga at all, you're probably very wrong. In fact, this is probably going to get very dark very soon - especially when we find out what that mission is they're on.
I havent read the manga i have no problem with it getting dark. How faithful to the manga has the series been so far?

Last edited by Sinestra; 2007-10-25 at 09:34. Reason: sorry for the double
Sinestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-25, 09:41   Link #260
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
I havent read the manga i have no problem with it getting dark. How faithful to the manga has the series been so far?
Well, the thing is that it's not a retelling. The anime is all-new material. There are two manga, which both exist in the same universe: one takes place a year after *bleep*, and the other takes place around 1,000 years after *bleep*. The anime takes place shortly before *bleep*.

Censored for spoilers.

Tags
drama, sci-fi, shounen, yuri