AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2008-03-13, 01:37   Link #81
angelica
angel of lust

This series is fantastic. Its to bad that no one has subbed the 2 movies though
angelica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-13, 02:30   Link #82
Astrana
MMmmmm Bacon~~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediNight View Post
The mech designs grow on you after awhile. Although the WaDoms are pretty fugly. The show really isn't about the mechs very much though.

And as long as you watch it with an open mind not comparing it to any other Gundam show and treat it just like a normal show, it's pretty enjoyable.
ye, i like the design now, i enjoy the character dev more.
I am already on ep 16 (watch Turn A and play SWR W at the same time ftw) i am really eagered to ee where is the plot going.

BTW: I want a MG Waldon hahahaha

PS: the background guitar music is awesome
Question: so ppl from the moon live couple hundred years longer than earthlings? cuz the princess was in love with that guys ancestor, i was like wtf?
Astrana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-13, 02:35   Link #83
JediNight
キズランダム

I'll probably try to go back and watch Gundam X or Victory after this, since I've heard X is kinda critically acclaimed like TurnA. If I can get past the fact that they re-use the same damn character designs in Wing

Then there's Victory Gundam which I swear is the black hole of Gundam. I never hear ANYONE so much as utter a word about that show ever. X and TurnA you still hear about in passing.
JediNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-13, 02:45   Link #84
Astrana
MMmmmm Bacon~~~

JediNight

I am actually downloading Gundam V and Gundam G.

X was alright, i don;t remember much about it, but i did like the mech design in it.

as for V, only memory I had for it was playing Super Robot War 3rd or Alpha on Game boy. Thats why I am re downloading it right now... I checked out few episode, the graphic art in it loks pretty bad.
Old 2008-03-13, 02:52   Link #85
sword.impulse
*Insert something clever*

Quote:
PS: the background guitar music is awesome
Question: so ppl from the moon live couple hundred years longer than earthlings? cuz the princess was in love with that guys ancestor, i was like wtf?
If you ever DL the OST, the track with the guitar music is "Air Plant"
And, Dianna was in love with the old Will Game is because
Spoiler:

Spoilered because if I remember correctly it's explained later, so read if you want or wait.
sword.impulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-13, 03:01   Link #86
Astrana
MMmmmm Bacon~~~

thnx for the info, it helped explain alot.

hehehe, so if Zaku and GM are ancient MS i hope they dig out some RX-78 hahahaha.

this is really interesting Turn A can some how connect to after UC, and the 00 playing now can possibly relate to pre-UC
Old 2008-03-13, 03:10   Link #87
sword.impulse
*Insert something clever*

Thats one of the only things I wished there were more of for some reason, more suits excavated. Even though it wouldn't have helped the story.
sword.impulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-13, 03:27   Link #88
JediNight
キズランダム

I don't really think you can connect Gundam00 to UC after recent events in the show. These Gundams are getting too hax to the point where the RX-78 would be considered a major step backwards.

I've always considered X and TurnA to be a logical progression off of UC timeline. Even if the tech period chosen is very convenient so they didn't have to put any thought into it. (TurnA) And I find the TurnA very plain looking for something that would have been built after the late-UC suits, etc.

Like, what are they powering the cars/planes with in TurnA? They never really seem to cover it, despite it being doubtful they use oil. And even if most of the planet got hosed by colonies dropping/nuclear war, you still think enough people/technology would have been left around to rebuild quicker than 2000 years. The facilities may be destroyed, but the general know-how of the people would still remain.
Old 2008-03-13, 04:42   Link #89
JediNight
キズランダム

Spoiler for Ep38:

EDIT: And wow, New OP finally at Ep39? And I didn't think they could come up with a worse song than OP1 lol ... this one is super fruity too 0_o;;

Last edited by JediNight; 2008-03-13 at 05:03.
Old 2008-03-13, 10:43   Link #90
Astrana
MMmmmm Bacon~~~

Quote:
Spoiler for Ep38:

EDIT: And wow, New OP finally at Ep39? And I didn't think they could come up with a worse song than OP1 lol ... this one is super fruity too 0_o;;
hahahaha ya, the OP is horrible, I havent watched the whole thing, the furtherest I've got is the guy saying " TURN A GUNDAM" and that part is stuck in my head right now
Old 2008-03-13, 11:13   Link #91
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sword.impulse
Thats one of the only things I wished there were more of for some reason, more suits excavated. Even though it wouldn't have helped the story.
I think you hit on exactly why we didn't see more mobile suits in the show. Part of the theme of the show is that the people in Turn A haven't experienced war and they don't really know how to fight it. Keeping all the action small scale and low key help in creating this kind of impression.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediNight
Like, what are they powering the cars/planes with in TurnA? They never really seem to cover it, despite it being doubtful they use oil. And even if most of the planet got hosed by colonies dropping/nuclear war, you still think enough people/technology would have been left around to rebuild quicker than 2000 years. The facilities may be destroyed, but the general know-how of the people would still remain.
This is one of the great contradictions of Turn A, and it's also why it doesn't fit the other shows the way Tomino thinks it does.

Realistically speaking, a post-technological society will find it extremely difficult to rebuild their infrastructure. One of the big problems is that most of the easy-to-extract resources have already been extracted, so all that's left is the stuff that was uneconomical to get at for a high-tech society.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrana View Post
hahahaha ya, the OP is horrible, I havent watched the whole thing, the furtherest I've got is the guy saying " TURN A GUNDAM" and that part is stuck in my head right now
"Turn A Turn" was a deliberate attempt to make the same kind of OP that was used for mecha anime in the '70s and early '80s. It's no surprise that it's very different from more modern fare. I happen to prefer both OPs to many of the newer Gundam songs (T.M. Revolution's works among others).

"Tsuki no Mayu" (and "Moon") , on the other hand, is possibly the very best Gundam ED.
Old 2008-03-13, 20:52   Link #92
HEDGESMFG
Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelica View Post
This series is fantastic. Its to bad that no one has subbed the 2 movies though
As much as I may loathe the films for their utter butchering of the series, we're working on it. Expect the films to be subbed in coming months.
HEDGESMFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-13, 21:00   Link #93
HEDGESMFG
Fansubber

Quote:
The cars and planes in Turn-A actually run off of a unique endless supply of a nanite based fossil-fuel substitute (based on info from the tech manuals and on Mark Simmons' old summary of the show, though this is never explicitly stated in the show itself).

Earth is actually full of these nanites, and they appear in the form of a black powder that can be used both as a fuel source, and as a means rejuvenate the soil. They're mentioned somewhat off-handedly as the mysterious black power that the old woman Anis references to in episode 20.
HEDGESMFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-13, 21:13   Link #94
Spitfire
Mr. Bushido

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEDGESMFG View Post
The cars and planes in Turn-A actually run off of a unique endless supply of a nanite based fossil-fuel substitute (based on info from the tech manuals and on Mark Simmons' old summary of the show, though this is never explicitly stated in the show itself).

Earth is actually full of these nanites, and they appear in the form of a black powder that can be used both as a fuel source, and as a means rejuvenate the soil. They're mentioned somewhat off-handedly as the mysterious black power that the old woman Anis references to in episode 20.
I'm assuming these nanites would be the same ones used by the Turn A when it destroyed all the worlds technology with the Moonlight Butterfly.
Old 2008-03-14, 04:58   Link #95
JediNight
キズランダム

I'm on Ep46 atm -- and it's hard to believe that the TurnA beat the TurnX in the past. Unless there is a bunch of armaments that the TurnA is missing after the millennia.

What I DO find interesting though is that they make a direct link between UC and TurnA timelines. Until this point I only hypothesized that they could connect, I didn't know they made an actual reference.

Although they were saying that 10,000 years had past since the start of the Universal Century... Which has me a bit confused then -- they said 2000 years has passed since Earth went to hell. Which means that the UC lasted for 8000 years to that point? So they're saying it was like 7800 more years of space conflicts after all of the UC Gundam series' wrapped up before this? Where does that leave Gundam X then, which was "After Colony 15" or whatever?

Stuff doesn't seem to add up that they would use basically the same Zaku design for 8000 years. And if only a few of the colonies were dropped on Earth and many survived, why did the "Moonrace" technology regress apparently compared to some of the excavated tech?
Old 2008-03-14, 06:20   Link #96
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Although they were saying that 10,000 years had past since the start of the Universal Century... Which has me a bit confused then -- they said 2000 years has passed since Earth went to hell. Which means that the UC lasted for 8000 years to that point? So they're saying it was like 7800 more years of space conflicts after all of the UC Gundam series' wrapped up before this? Where does that leave Gundam X then, which was "After Colony 15" or whatever?
The implication is that Earth's "Dark History" is an endless cycle of technological development & regressions. UC ended with the departure of the colonies from the Earth sphere, which apparently led to one of these technological regressions, while the creation of the Turn A and the activation of the Moonlight Butterfly led to another.

Most people think that Gundam X (along with G Gundam and Gundam Wing, both of which have brief cameos in this show also) should take place somewhere in between those two events.

Quote:
Stuff doesn't seem to add up that they would use basically the same Zaku design for 8000 years. And if only a few of the colonies were dropped on Earth and many survived, why did the "Moonrace" technology regress apparently compared to some of the excavated tech?
The Zakus and other dug up suits were deliberately buried by previous inhabitants of Earth and were protected by nanites so they would not deteriorate (that's why they were able to last for thousands of years). (IIRC they either wanted to preserve them as another form of Dark History or some other cheesy reason)

And as for the Moonrace, the lack of warfare and competition probably led to a decline in mobile suit designs in the thousand year between the last MB event and now.
Old 2008-03-14, 07:27   Link #97
JediNight
キズランダム

Brightman: Quite a sad state of development for humanity. That we would always be doomed to repeat our same mistakes over and over again. And an interesting idea that the colony drops after Gundam X would be a different apocalypse than the rest, and that humanity keeps reaching for the sky, only to destroy themselves time and time again. Although every time you destroy civilization ... where would they keep getting the raw materials to rebuild if it means it's harder and harder to extract? =\

Just finished the series now and thoughts:

Wow this series had an incredible ending, and brings Tomino's work with Gundam full circle in a way with his final installment in the saga. In a very sad, depressing way, as mentioned above. That BGM music for the last 5mins of the last episode is incredible as well. Is that the "Moon" song they were talking about earlier? And the two Turn Gundams somehow turn into some weird cocoon apotheosis or something? Weird...

Let me see if I got this straight then:
-Guin Lineford nurses Merrybell back to health and lives a life of exile with her on a yacht.
-Keith and his GF get married and half a child with the Grandmother Valleine finally there.
-Fran and Joseph also get married and have a child.
-Kihel Heim fulfills Dianna's wish of living out the rest of her natural life on Earth, and takes her place as "Queen Dianna" on the Moon, living there with Harry.
-Loran goes off and lives in seclusion with the real Dianna Soriel, taking care of her as her body apparently is rapidly deteriorating. (Needs a cane already?)
-Sochie is left all alone, with her love for Loran unrequited.

Dianna had a wedding ring on her finger, does that mean she married Loran as Kihel Heim? In order to keep up the charade, she chose to live in seclusion with him so nobody would ever find out the switch had been made again? Sochie loses her love, her sister is now gone away as well, and both her parents are dead -- stuff seriously sucks for Sochie =\

Such a sad ending ;_;
Old 2008-03-14, 07:51   Link #98
4Tran

Quote:
That BGM music for the last 5mins of the last episode is incredible as well. Is that the "Moon" song they were talking about earlier?
"Moon" is the same thing as "Tsuki no Mayu"; the only difference is that "Moon" has English lyrics.

Quote:
Dianna had a wedding ring on her finger, does that mean she married Loran as Kihel Heim? In order to keep up the charade, she chose to live in seclusion with him so nobody would ever find out the switch had been made again?
It's probably the other way around. If Dianna had wanted to stay as Queen and marry Loran, she certainly could have. Therefore, if she gave up her position to Kihel, it would have to be because she no longer wanted it. Likewise, if she didn't want to secluded, it'd be relatively easy for her to still be near the limelight as "Kihel Heim", so it's probably her choice again.

Quote:
Sochie loses her love, her sister is now gone away as well, and both her parents are dead -- stuff seriously sucks for Sochie =\
Sochie is the very model of the modern woman-adventurer circa turn of the 20th century - perhaps best exemplified by Amelia Earhart. Accordingly, she's also one of the strongest people in Turn A, and she'll almost certainly go on to prosper. In a way, the journey of Turn A Gundam comes to full circle with Sochie - the beginning saw her coming-of-age ceremony, and at the end, she realizes it.

Last edited by 4Tran; 2008-03-15 at 15:01. Reason: fixing a brain fart
4Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-14, 08:03   Link #99
JediNight
キズランダム

Well if her body is rapidly deteriorating as it appears, then she couldn't really stay near Sochie, because they would know it wasn't Kihel. Although I imagine Sochie would be okay with it, as she admits the two have basically become like the same person. Would be kinda hard to explain to the town why she was using a cane already though

And I did notice how they suddenly gave her a much more mature look at the end of the episode there than Sochie normally had.
Old 2008-03-15, 00:17   Link #100
Astrana
MMmmmm Bacon~~~

Quote:
I'm on Ep46 atm -- and it's hard to believe that the TurnA beat the TurnX in the past. Unless there is a bunch of armaments that the TurnA is missing after the millennia.

What I DO find interesting though is that they make a direct link between UC and TurnA timelines. Until this point I only hypothesized that they could connect, I didn't know they made an actual reference.

Hehehehem I am pretty sure it's linked to UC when I saw them digged up GM and Zaku. I was thinking the exact same way as u JediKnight, Gundam X desn't add up lol. The thing buggs me is if people survies the colony drop, why their technology is so shitty after 2000 years.....

PS: Going to China town to get a MG turn A tomorrow, and kinda upset they never had Turn A in Super Robot War W