Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-07-05, 14:37   Link #81
ipernorris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
Let me point out a fundamental difference; the lack of beastmen on mecha
And what are the similarities besides both series having 1) Badass GAR characters 2) fanservice and 3) whacky comedy. Those are pretty generic and broad series traits to me.
LOL do you call the absence of mecha a "fundamental difference"?
Mecha is a subtype of super power anime, like this one is, so it's only a secondary difference at best, not foundamental for sure!
ipernorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-05, 14:40   Link #82
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipernorris View Post
LOL do you call the absence of mecha a "fundamental difference"?
Mecha is a subtype of super power anime, like this one is, so it's only a secondary difference at best, not foundamental for sure!
Mecha a secondary genre? Are you kidding? Don't let the gundam people know you've said this or they will kick the shit out of you

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-05, 14:46   Link #83
ipernorris

Quote:
Mecha a secondary genre? Are you kidding? Don't let the gundam people know you've said this or they will kick the shit out of you
It's a kind of super power for me, I don't care if gundam people cosider mecha something indipendent. Anyway my point was that the absence of robots don't change a thing about characters' development similiarities between Guren Lagan and this show.
Old 2009-07-05, 14:56   Link #84
ZODDGUTS

lol at people calling this a ripoff they need to get their facts straight considering the manga started in 2004.

Anyways really enjoyed the first episode. It also stuck very close to the manga with verly any changes. Though I wish it still had the gore for the fight scenes like it did with the manga. Overall great start for the series.
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-05, 15:03   Link #85
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
It's a kind of super power for me, I don't care if gundam people cosider mecha something indipendent. Anyway my point was that the absence of robots don't change a thing about characters' development similiarities between Guren Lagan and this show.
What similarities? It's only been episode one and we don't quite know them yet. Besides it doesn't even mean that because Blade is GAR (as Kamina is GAR) that their character will develop in the same way. Same with Cruz being a weak boy "like" Simon. I can agree that the mood, or feel is similar but we just have to agree to disagree on their individual characters and pending development. Maybe I should read the manga to find out for sure.

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Old 2009-07-05, 15:07   Link #86
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
What similarities? It's only been episode one and we don't quite know them yet. Besides it doesn't even mean that because Blade is GAR (as Kamina is GAR) that their character will develop in the same way. Same with Cruz being a weak boy "like" Simon. I can agree that the mood, or feel is similar but we just have to agree to disagree on their individual characters and pending development. Maybe I should read the manga to find out for sure.
I've read a bit of the manga, and it's pretty much the same. Good adaptation of the start of the story.

But yeah i'm with you, i don't see any similarity's at all. I've stated more then once already why.
Old 2009-07-05, 15:08   Link #87
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

It says something about what a seminal series TTGL is that it keep hijacking other threads...
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-05, 15:12   Link #88
alu546
y prime

Send a message via AIM to alu546
The story is fundalmentally different. I can tell that bit of glaring difference from the first episode. What you cant tell from a single episode is that if its a ripoff of another.

And the manga of this show has been out awhile. I think those crying ripoff at this point just like to cry in general.
alu546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-05, 15:12   Link #89
ipernorris

Quote:
Of course I was referring to the first episode of Gurrenn Lagan, not to the entire series. It would be retarded to compare a finished series with a one which has just started!
Anyway my point is that I can't stand spineless useless characters, be them male or female. It's ok if they start like this and then they change, but if they remain like this then it's bad!
Old 2009-07-05, 16:13   Link #90
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I think it's too early to call Cruz spineless, and I also don't want him to turn into some superpowered GAR-beastie. I just hope - like Simon - that he gets some opportunities to show some mental toughness and resilience.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-05, 16:19   Link #91
itanshi1
Writer, Jester, MtG nerd

Send a message via AIM to itanshi1 Send a message via MSN to itanshi1
Quote:
This is bad? What? Sure it draws its manly energies from the likes of GL but it doesn't mean that this isn't unique in its own right. Not even going into the realm of guilty pleasure, this left a positive first impression on me.

ep 1
Spoiler:
<.< so late on this, but i'll spoiler it so you can ignore me if you want

Spoiler for response:

Fear Anxiety Doubt is but a fad. The life of a fad depends entirely on the willingness to support it. Difficulty is a choice. Determination is a path. Your next great idea after your destination is the true goal.
itanshi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-05, 16:40   Link #92
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Of course I was referring to the first episode of Gurrenn Lagan, not to the entire series.
Why didn't you say so in the first place...I think I just :headdesked: a crater on my table...

I get what you mean about spineless characters, I hate them too. But give Cruz a bit more time to show himself more. Don't forget he actually picked up Blade and carried him all the way back to get treated and I don't know about you, but Blade looks like he weighs a ton
Quote:
Originally Posted by itanshi1 View Post
Yuri is a genre, not a fetish.
Not to pop your bubble, but it is both a genre and a fetish

Old 2009-07-05, 16:42   Link #93
Kiavik

kinda OT:

I dont get it. Why do people compare everything to gurren lagann nowadays?
It's a fact that Gurren wasn't original at all, stealing basically everything from what Go Nagai and Ken Ishikawa created in the last 30-40 years (mainly the Getter Saga). The only thing it added to the super robot show formula was fanservice, but Gainax already did that with Gunbuster. So I don't know why you can say a series "ripped off Gurren Lagann", if GL was the first one to rip off 30+years of super robot shows.

Returning IT, people must be on crack to compare this show to Gurren Lagann XD aside from some shonen cliches which you can find everywhere, they share basically nothing.
I'd say the show pays homage to Hokuto no Ken. I mean, It even starts in the same way. Year 200X, after the Third World War. And look at those backgrounds. Totally Hokuto no Ken-ish
Anyway I thought the only good things about this show are the opening and the ending
The ost in general was good if a little too invasive.
The plot and setting and characters were just the usual shonen stuff, nothing original here.
I'm kinda amused that the doctor really resembles Dr. Wily for some reason, and the main guy is basically Megaman

Last edited by Kiavik; 2009-07-05 at 17:07.
Kiavik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-05, 17:01   Link #94
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

A little too over the top maybe.
Old 2009-07-05, 18:13   Link #95
velvet
"with you, happiness"

So,
Basically,

we need the ED to be creditless.... amirite?

velvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-05, 18:59   Link #96
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

LOL theres one simple reason this show owns!

the dude hides a holy hand grenade in his bible!!!

if a evil bunny wabbit shows up with a a vicious streak a mile wide then it becomes the best anime ever! fact!

Well the over the top shenanigans is briliiant fun and Eve is just a hoot!

oh and lol at the ED, not sure what to make of it but hell who cares!
Old 2009-07-05, 19:14   Link #97
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Well, the first ep was rather fun. It's got sexy girls, it's got moe, sure the kid sucks as it is but the big guy owns the field, their antics are fun and I'm not even gonna comment on the yuri win ED. Definitely a fun series for the season.
Old 2009-07-05, 19:32   Link #98
Fishbait

Quote:
Originally Posted by velvet View Post
So,
Basically,

we need the ED to be creditless.... amirite?

Definitely
Fishbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-05, 21:49   Link #99
velvet nightmare

funny how it looked like the ED had nothing to do with the actual episode
velvet nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-05, 21:59   Link #100
KK1412
JOEY! WHERE'S MY COFFEE!?

watched the first episode, my first impressions were..

wow this is freakin hilarious

for some reason it reminds me a little bit of Gintama....

I know that there's alot of corny stuff in it but you know what....it's summer we have too many drama/boring animes. This one revives the soul!

Im gonna stick to this anime and see where it goes
KK1412 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, loli, seinen