AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Spice and Wolf

Notices

View Poll Results: Spice and Wolf - Episode 10 Rating
Perfect 10 44 44.90%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 27 27.55%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 18 18.37%
7 out of 10 : Good 3 3.06%
6 out of 10 : Average 4 4.08%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 1.02%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 1.02%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-03-07, 00:52   Link #61
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Wow, an unusually tense episode. I sense that this kind of thing has never happened to Lawrence before---he was really freaking out. I had a funny feeling that he had been putting his eggs all in one basket too many times, and I guess I was right. It's certainly gotten me riveted about the next episode, though.

And isn't it supposed to be "Wolf and Spice" not "Spice and Wolf"? (Ookami to Koushinryou)
I mean, can't we just stick with the literal japanese word order? I don't understand why it's flipped around in the english translation. It doesn't make any sense.
Old 2008-03-07, 00:57   Link #62
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
On a side topic. If your going to have a rampage then forget the whips. Pitchforks are the tools of the angry mob .

Well I guess having the threat of bankruptcy, career about to go down the drain, and possibly ending up in the mines where one is likely to die hasn't happened too often to Lawrence. He made a gamble with buying on credit expecting the big payoff. Don't think he's gone and took a gamble like this before.

There was a discussion about which way spice and wolf should be stated. At this point might be more than a little silly to just flip it over.
Old 2008-03-07, 01:05   Link #63
Snuffle
likes cute things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traece View Post
Too many animes have romantic ties that are expressed fully and the couple doesn't even kiss (I'm flailing my sword at you, Lamune... And about a thousand other animes...). I would be fine with 20-26 or 32 episodes and they 'don't' kiss, but come darn well close to it! But hell, they have to do 'something' lover-esque in a 12 episode series! I'm serious!
LOL. I can't help but see this as someone who is obsessed with kissing .
And I liked Lamune . Hmm... maybe I should watch it again... I hardly remember how the story went .

As said before, I really hope the sales are good for this show and it produces another season... Maybe that's the reason its 12 eps in the first place? To see how it does and continue with the already writen story if it does well.

Edit: Ack! forgot my comments about the ep

It was really hard watching the last few minutes... I couldn't help but feel sorry for the guy. I never would've gussed that all his business buddies were rejecting him because he was with a girl O_o;....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Basically, he's supposed to be at the end of his rope financially ... yet he has this fabulous young lady with him.
Now... money lenders will think either he's not really that desperate --- or worse, he may be presenting the picture that he's willing to pimp his "wife" out for money. Not a good thing for people to think in that time period.
I took this as it was him dishonoring some kinda merchant code that woman don't belong as merchants so traveling with one is disgraceful... But was it really about him looking as if he was pimping his "wife"?
Old 2008-03-07, 01:10   Link #64
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
I think your probably right Snuffle. The 12 episode series could be testing the waters. After all if it does well they have plenty of material to bring out for a longer series.

We are relatively early in the series. So the more serious romantic elements probably aren't going to happen in the next couple episodes.

Maybe I'm talking a little too much. Slightly large lead in the posting for this episode. 11 to the next highest 4 .
Old 2008-03-07, 02:06   Link #65
RampagingEvangelion
Asuka, Asuna, and Horo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
I think your probably right Snuffle. The 12 episode series could be testing the waters. After all if it does well they have plenty of material to bring out for a longer series.

We are relatively early in the series. So the more serious romantic elements probably aren't going to happen in the next couple episodes.

Maybe I'm talking a little too much. Slightly large lead in the posting for this episode. 11 to the next highest 4 .
Yeah. A series like this was probably a big risk. A show that is basically about economics! Genius! But they way they do it is great.

There will most likely be a second season (Hopefully). I would like to see a Horo-Lawrence kiss scene in episode 12, and have their relationship develope throughout a second season. Just my own hopelessly waffy mind though.
Old 2008-03-07, 02:12   Link #66
Traece
:cool:

I'm not kissing obessed... I just have issue when it comes to the cliche romantic series that ends without even so much as a decent kiss. I mean a certain Gundam had an implied sex scene. The least Spice and Wolf (It sounds catchier than Wolf and Spice, plus technically Lawrence was fully introduced first) could give us is a kiss.
Lawrence would make a heck of a pimp. Chloe, Horo, Nora... Three extremely attractive women. xD... If he showed up at my doorstep asking for 47 1/2 thorenis(?) I'd take the offer just for a little chat with Horo, much less anything beyond that.
Old 2008-03-07, 02:14   Link #67
Xacual

A lot of you are saying two more episodes but don't we have three more since seven was skipped and we have 11, 12, and 13?

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Old 2008-03-07, 02:36   Link #68
War_Lord
Modern Philosopher

This was quite the emotional episode, definitely a 10/10. It's moments like this I wish Spice and wolf was 26 episodes long rather than 13. 112 episodes sounded tempting, but I'd like there to be a resolution that would take less than 30 episodes.

I don't blame Lawrence for snapping, his life is in serious jeopardy. How cute Horo-sama is would be the last thing on anyone's mind in that kind of situation. At least we know he didn't mean to. Well in any case, i'm pretty certain Horo and possibly Nora will think of something to help.
Old 2008-03-07, 02:53   Link #69
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffle View Post
...I took this as it was him dishonoring some kinda merchant code that woman don't belong as merchants so traveling with one is disgraceful... But was it really about him looking as if he was pimping his "wife"?
I could be wrong, but I thought that one guy more or less said it was because he was not being upright, but trailing around town with a woman who was not his wife.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2008-03-07, 04:27   Link #70
cowteats

It's stated in the novel that Horo actually dress like a "machi no musume" (townswoman?) while in Rubinhaigen, and these women often hook up with merchants possibly for material gains.
For example, in ep9 when the Horo and Lawrence were eating and drinking outside, the waiter told Lawrence that he's lucky to have gotten an expensive woman. The waiter actually thought that Horo is one of those women found in the streets of Rubinhaigen.

Taken that this is the Church City of Rubinhaigen, it's not usual for many of them to be devout believers, and I think the last merchant is one too. Naturally he would be angry to see Lawrence bring a whore around while trying to borrow money. Firstly he might think that Lawrence is going to use some of the borrowed money on the woman, and also it might be against his religious beliefs.

Just my deduction from reading the novels, hope that helps.
Old 2008-03-07, 05:18   Link #71
ZODDGUTS

Desperate times call for desperate measures time for Lawrence to start pimping Horo out, hes gotta take her wheat though if not she'll bite his head off in her wolf form.

But seriously I wonder if Nora will help out Lawrence out in the next episode though it looks like Horo has a plan to help him out.
Old 2008-03-07, 06:43   Link #72
Khaos

Thumbs up

10/10
I almost fell from my chair, when Horo scared the dog away at the beginnig.
The romantic elements were very cute too, Now they got from 'Horo clings to his arm' to 'walking hand in hand'... You can never tell, where the teasing ends and where the honesty begins, that rises the romantic tension between them even more.
And now Lawrence is in great despair, not only having been tricked, but also getting in trouble with having Horo around since there are moral customs he still doesn't know about. Darkest episode so far.
Old 2008-03-07, 08:21   Link #73
日本ひきこもり協会
awarpsharp is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seyluun View Post
Looks like Ayako screwed up the last line of Lawrence... they translated it as "Even you're..." but "If not for you..." make a lot more sens.
お前さえ can be translated to "Even you're..." nothing wrong with that.
Also please refrain from commenting on translations if you don't hold a degree on Japanese and your "knowledge" purely bases from what you got from watching fansubs.

By the way... "sensE"
Old 2008-03-07, 08:21   Link #74
DanielSong39

Horo is his de facto wife as far as I can tell... sometimes they look more like a married couple than mere companions.

In any case Horo wasn't the reason the deal fell through - and she'll probably bail him out in episode 11.
Old 2008-03-07, 08:32   Link #75
noob3d
馬鹿やろ

Good episode but for some reason I got really sad near the end of the episode and I can't really explain why For the record,it turned out as how I predicted but I'm still waiting to see how Nora fits into this picture.Dedicationg an entire episode to her previously and totally shoving her aside now?Seems that 11 is going to be another "Horo saves the day" episode which would hopefully cure my sudden case of depression.Anyway,I did a full review for it but I now have a big dilemma.To watch Ayako or BSS's version?I liked Ayako's 10 for the extras but I'm more at ease with BSS's fonts...o well good job to both of them.
Old 2008-03-07, 08:38   Link #76
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
This was an extraordinary episode imo because it showed that the series has incredible range. Lawrence has been pretty much rolling on good luck since the series started but now we get to see Lawrence at a low point. It easy to be the cool guy when everything goes your way but the real test is when things dont go your way and Lawrence kind of failed that at the moment not completely just a little.

I understand his frustration and we all get like that not one of us has not snapped at a person when we were upset or frustrated. But i think that his and Horo's relationship is very different. Its obvious that Horo wants to be of use to him which is why she wanted to come along in the end it backfired. Its safe to assume that Lawrence will not end up a slave or anything because even if he is taken into custody Horo will break him out, she doesnt play by the same rules humans do.

Its shame this happen because they were getting so close and Horo in her own let Lawrence see a side of her that truly cares for him. He should have gone after her he really should have i was disappointed by that. He better aplogize to Horo's hearts content when he sees her again. He was an ass to Horo and he needs to take responsibility, if hes a man that is.

now im curious if someone really is setting him up or if he stumbled into this blindly . There is way out and im sure Lawrence and Horo together can find it.

now the real question
Old 2008-03-07, 10:16   Link #77
Jer
(((( _°Д°)))~hwat!?

Send a message via MSN to Jer
What a nice setup to end the series (can't deny that I wished for more). The emotions in this episode is rich and fitting. Lawrence brushing Horo aside was just painful to watch even though he regretted it. Btw, props to Ayako for making a v2 for episode 10. The brief summary at the end is comprehensive and useful for those who didn't read the novel like me.
Old 2008-03-07, 10:18   Link #78
RampagingEvangelion
Asuka, Asuna, and Horo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowteats View Post
It's stated in the novel that Horo actually dress like a "machi no musume" (townswoman?) while in Rubinhaigen, and these women often hook up with merchants possibly for material gains.
For example, in ep9 when the Horo and Lawrence were eating and drinking outside, the waiter told Lawrence that he's lucky to have gotten an expensive woman. The waiter actually thought that Horo is one of those women found in the streets of Rubinhaigen.

Taken that this is the Church City of Rubinhaigen, it's not usual for many of them to be devout believers, and I think the last merchant is one too. Naturally he would be angry to see Lawrence bring a whore around while trying to borrow money. Firstly he might think that Lawrence is going to use some of the borrowed money on the woman, and also it might be against his religious beliefs.

Just my deduction from reading the novels, hope that helps.
That's what I got from it as well. I don't think it was the fact that he was traveling with a woman that caused the man to not loan Lawrence money, but the fact that it appeared that Horo may have been a whore.

When you take that into consideration, the man's actions seem about right. If a friend comes up to me and says, "I'm in massive debt! Could you lend me $1000.00?" as a woman who is not his wife but instead looks like a prostitute is with him, I wouldn't give him jack.

She just wanted to help, but it ended up being his downfall.
Old 2008-03-07, 10:49   Link #79
Xacual

Something that came to my mind last night but frustration is an emotion that Horo probably understands really well from her time in the village. She definitely mentions being frustrated that the villagers had stopped believing she was real and any time she actually appeared they were just afraid of her. Based on that I think its pretty sure she'll forgive Lawrence when he actually gets back to the inn and probably really apologizes.

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Old 2008-03-07, 12:33   Link #80
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

I liked this episode very much, but unfortunately the poor animation quality knocked a would-be 9 rating down to 8.

The banter between Horo and Lawrence at the beginning of the episode was exceptionally well done. For once, I found Horo undeniably cute, in sharp contrast to last week, when I found her very irritating. The difference lies entirely in the wittiness of their conversation. Horo's teasing led to an unexpected confession from Lawrence. I couldn't help but chuckle at how hen-pecked Lawrence has become. He is literally eating out of Horo's paw.

Oh, it's also cute to see other men trying to hit on Horo. Obviously, a woman like her would have instant admirers.

But this scene becomes exceptionally good when compared to later events. Horo and Lawrence suffer the first serious test to their relationship, when Lawrence's business takes a sudden dive. Firstly, it was Horo's intervention that allowed Lawrence to "acquire" armour at half-price, which led him to his present predicament. Secondly, Horo's presence prevented him from getting much needed loans. When you consider the dire consequences of bankcruptcy, it's no wonder that Lawrence would snap at Horo in the end.

It's sad but true -- business failures can cause severe strain on otherwise happy relationships. It has happened in the past, it continues to happen today, and it is interesting to see it portrayed in this story as well.

Once again, it looks like Horo would have to pull some tricks next week to save Lawrence's "tail".

Quote:
Originally Posted by metronome View Post
wait a minute I dont get it.......
how can they sell the credit to another company ?

I don't know how this work in old time, but in the new modern time like today, it is not that easy to sell the credit like that, it usually takes a looooong time, some countries even prohibit this. Contract of promise to pay is usually between known entity, not to the holder of contract; not to mention that the contract has different time limit too, make it even harder to process if you wanna sell the credit. Well, may be I am not smart enough about this
By the way, it's not unusual to sell your debt. In this case, since the Latopeiron Company was on the verge of bankcruptcy, it had no choice but to sell its debt to Remerio to settle the open transaction. The process is very similar to factoring, except that it doesn't seem that the debt was sold at a discount (perhaps it was, but we aren't told).

According to the Wiki entry, factoring has been around since the 1400s, so it was not unknown during the Middle Ages. As for modern times, the whole reason why the US is facing a possible recession this year is because many people had gone crazy when it came to debt-trading (sub-prime housing mortgages, in this case). So, yeah, it's not an old phenomenom, and it seems that we still haven't learnt the lesson till today.

Horo mentioned, in this episode, how she was uncomfortable with credit trading. I suppose that was a foreshadowing of things to come. Certainly, if Lawrence had not bought the armour on credit, he wouldn't be in as big of a hole as he is in, right now. But, I wonder if Horo's quote reflects the author's sensibilities -- East Asians in general are uncomfortable with debt, but Westerners have always stressed how debt is cheaper than equity, and use leverage as a way for achieving high-ratio growth. Ah well, it doesn't matter -- this is not related to Spice and Wolf anyway.

(My thanks also to Ayako for the background details from the novel. )

Last edited by TinyRedLeaf; 2008-03-07 at 13:00.
Closed Thread