AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Toradora!

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-12-01, 14:39   Link #61
Baka Ronin

Send a message via ICQ to Baka Ronin Send a message via AIM to Baka Ronin Send a message via MSN to Baka Ronin Send a message via Yahoo to Baka Ronin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukerjsr View Post
I'm just saying how it isn't completely impossible, especially since part of the appeal of Toradora! is with the naturally flawed characters. But if you don't want to talk about it, I'm not going to stop you.

And I am saying that it is. The novels nor the manga went that way. This story has given no hint of the kind of depravity it would take to reach that point. None of the characters have it in them to do something like that. Go watch School Days if you want to revel in such insane psychoses, you wont ind that here.
Old 2008-12-01, 15:05   Link #62
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Different tastes to different buds is all I say (I'm a Sekai dude, myself). But, honestly, what started out as a simple joke is kinda derailing a thread devoted to a character discussion, isn't it?

Old 2008-12-01, 16:43   Link #63
typhonsentra

I'm frankly shocked this discussion went as far as it did.
Old 2008-12-01, 17:13   Link #64
Baka Ronin

Send a message via ICQ to Baka Ronin Send a message via AIM to Baka Ronin Send a message via MSN to Baka Ronin Send a message via Yahoo to Baka Ronin
so back to the matter at hand. Takasu Ryuuji is a Scary-looking doormat. Discuss.
Old 2008-12-01, 17:48   Link #65
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

But will he grow a spine? I wonder...

Old 2008-12-01, 18:01   Link #66
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
His spine consists mostly from the scenes like thsi

Taiga: hey, dog, make me a dinner
Ryuuji: I won't! I am not your slave! (says he while starting to make the dinner).

Lets face it - his 'talking back' and 'lectures' towards Taiga make him look even more pathetic as simply Taiga completely ignores that and he still does whatever he is told. He is actually better, more obedient dog than Saito who though still let Louise ride on his back, but whenever he opposed he really meant it at least.
Old 2008-12-01, 18:13   Link #67
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Normally if a guy puts up with this, its because he's counting on some sort of delicious cuddly reward at the end (the spiny exterior hiding creamy nougat filling).
Ryuuji is pretty durable - he doesn't cower before Taiga - but he seems to *need* to take care of her (warts and all) - initially because he thinks it'll move him into reach of Minorin. As it goes on though, he seems to have forgotten that goal mostly --- middle of the swamp, so busy fighting alligators you forget the goal was to drain the swamp.

If they wanted to be particularly tragic, the author would have Taiga falling head-over-heels for him, but him rejecting her because he remembers he was targeting Minorin. Aieee, that'd be messy.
Old 2008-12-01, 18:32   Link #68
Nukerjsr
Baka Inu~

Send a message via AIM to Nukerjsr
Does it feel like with anyone else, that they completely ignored his scary eyes after Taiga was introduced? That's basically what defined him for the longest point, and now it's his relationship with Taiga that does that. Does that factor continue to come into play or what?
Old 2008-12-01, 18:35   Link #69
Baka Ronin

Lets hope its not that messy. Good writers can keep this interesting without having to resort to jerry springer-esque drama.
Old 2008-12-01, 18:54   Link #70
BigJimmy
Burn ya git!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
His spine consists mostly from the scenes like thsi

Taiga: hey, dog, make me a dinner
Ryuuji: I won't! I am not your slave! (says he while starting to make the dinner).

Lets face it - his 'talking back' and 'lectures' towards Taiga make him look even more pathetic as simply Taiga completely ignores that and he still does whatever he is told. He is actually better, more obedient dog than Saito who though still let Louise ride on his back, but whenever he opposed he really meant it at least.
I don't see that as pathetic, more just a level of banter they've built up with each other. He's gonna make the dinner anyway, it's established that he's more then willing to cook for her even without prompting, and hell, he enjoys cooking. I think Taiga is still getting over the idea of someone being that selfless towards her. Minori might be her best friend, but I doubt they spend that much time together outside of school due to Minori's multiple jobs. Then along comes this bloke who wholeheartedly accepts her into his family (in a fashion). She's insecure, doesn't quite know how to deal with it, and puts on this dog/master act. Ryujii's tactful enough not to press the issue too hard, but doesn't pass up the opportunity to give some back. People don't change overnight, and Ryujii doesn't seem to be in a rush to reform her.

Now what is pathetic is his reaction to Ami's shower trick. Crying to Taiga? Dude, grow a pair!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
If they wanted to be particularly tragic, the author would have Taiga falling head-over-heels for him, but him rejecting her because he remembers he was targeting Minorin. Aieee, that'd be messy.
We'll get a Nice Boat out of Toradora yet!
Old 2008-12-01, 19:13   Link #71
Tamad
デゲソ!! ( ・_・)ノ

Quote:
Does it feel like with anyone else, that they completely ignored his scary eyes after Taiga was introduced? That's basically what defined him for the longest point, and now it's his relationship with Taiga that does that. Does that factor continue to come into play or what?
Yeah, I thought I was the only one to notice that they introduced that factor then got rid of it just as quick.
Old 2008-12-01, 20:48   Link #72
typhonsentra

Quote:
The show's writers seem to be making a conscious effort to remove most of the discussion of his eyes that happened in the books. It comes up once in a while in the books but they never put those scenes into the show. Things like students talking behind his back, the old lady in book 4 commenting on his eyes being pretty and her friends calling her weird, and Ami and him talking about his glare when they're at Sudohbucks in book 2. Ami's stalker also said he looked like a delinquent when he first saw him.
Old 2008-12-01, 21:28   Link #73
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Kind of typical for anime ("we established this so we'll never mention it again").... unless every second counts, it would be useful for the audience to be reminded occasionally of *why* he's a bit of an outcast (like some of the moments typhonsentra mentions).
Every anime has a few problems ... if I were cranking this one up to "11" that's the sort of thing I'd address.
Old 2008-12-02, 05:29   Link #74
JMvS
Rawrrr!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Normally if a guy puts up with this, its because he's counting on some sort of delicious cuddly reward at the end (the spiny exterior hiding creamy nougat filling).
Ryuuji is pretty durable - he doesn't cower before Taiga - but he seems to *need* to take care of her (warts and all) - initially because he thinks it'll move him into reach of Minorin. As it goes on though, he seems to have forgotten that goal mostly --- middle of the swamp, so busy fighting alligators you forget the goal was to drain the swamp.

Wasn't it establised in the novel that he already sees his relation with Taiga as satisfactory? As it provides him with more and more cleaning challenges, plus a few neat material rewards (IIRC, he had an interior monologue about that while cleaning Taiga's locker in novel 2, also he asked her for some Chanel towels that she never unpacked in return).

The way he is developped in the novels, Ryujii REALLY takes pleasure from cleaning, especially nice things: he was really overjoyed at the prospect of having to clean Ami's luxurious vacation house.
Old 2008-12-02, 05:54   Link #75
Dark Mage

So does Taiga love Ryuji or not and does Ryuji start to have feelings for Taiga as well?
Old 2008-12-02, 06:14   Link #76
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
JMvS, there is one thing to enjoy a thing and completely different one how you are made to do that. Even if you enjoy doing a thing but feel insulted, quite a lot of people would oppose just because not many like to be presented as doormats, specially in public.
Old 2008-12-02, 06:17   Link #77
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Man, are rabid novel readers opinionated or what. Oh well, I'm not about to talk to a brick wall.

I like Ryuuji. He's not Superman, or Kyon (lol), and though sometimes I'd wish he would more suave at times, he's a convincing character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Mage View Post
So does Taiga love Ryuji or not and does Ryuji start to have feelings for Taiga as well?
Why would you ask anyone? Think for yourself.

After all, Toradora's charm is its low-key implications. That, and feelings are complicated.
Old 2008-12-02, 06:55   Link #78
Dark Mage

Well I think Taiga does have feelings for Ryuji but Ryuji still seems to prefer that Minami
Old 2008-12-02, 07:41   Link #79
typhonsentra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Mage View Post
Well I think Taiga does have feelings for Ryuji but Ryuji still seems to prefer that Minami
If he chooses anyone other than Haruka that would make him a pedo.
Old 2008-12-02, 07:44   Link #80
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Who's Haruka, again?

Closed Thread

Tags
characters