AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-05-25, 22:49   Link #41
Yaoi_Pocky
mentionitis ouendanica

Quote:
Originally Posted by sOnJoOL
um will it be considered "illegal" if i ask where to get the manga for Keroro Gunso? because i would like to see it. If its not legal then i cant help it.
That would be quite illegal, my friend....Tokyopop having licensed the manga and all...
Yaoi_Pocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-26, 01:52   Link #42
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofusensei
Not really. It's just a strange quirky thing that has no real meaning. Sort of like the show

-Tofu
Actually, I did a bit of research on this by asking my Japanese teacher about it. This is what she said:

1. Officially, de arimasu is a slightly more formal version of desu, and is most commonly used in written japanese. For instance, when writing a report in college, you would use de arimasu instead of desu.
2. However, in spoken japanese it has a slightly different function, and is rarely used. In spoken japanese, it is approximately the same formality level as desu, however it is a more "forceful" formality. It is like proudly announcing how formal you are. Since this seems somewhat conceited to speak that way, it is hardly ever used in spoken japanese. An example of when it might be used, however, is in the military: for instance, when asked for his name, a private would say to his commanding officer "Quarkboy de arimasu!" (I am Quarkboy!), because in this case a more forcefull politeness is appropriate. I would say it functions quite similarly to appending a "Sir, yes Sir!" in english.

So it could be considered a more military style of speach, but that isn't really what it is.

Also, Keroro doesn't simply use de arimasu in a normal grammatical way. He often uses it as a kind of sentance ending particle, which isn't really grammatical at all, and just kind of colors everything he says with a sort of pompous, direct, politeness.

A proper translation of his speach would, in my opinion, encompass both a military directness to his speach, as well as a "I'm better than everyone" kind of attitude, and maybe a few "Sir, yes Sir"'s as well where appropriate.
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-04, 04:54   Link #43
Spooky-Electric

"Oh, did I tell you that I'm really confident of how my farts smell?"

This series is great so far.

Last edited by Spooky-Electric; 2004-06-04 at 05:09.
Spooky-Electric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-04, 05:07   Link #44
wao
OK.

Yay, 2nd ep... I already got it, but I can't watch it because... of the environment around me (o_o). Shall get to watch it soon (along with Madlax 9.)

Actually I thought the first episode wasn't that funny. It's like they were trying to be too funny at once, and they made it rather straight in your face... Not very appealing to me. But some parts were really funny (I liked the part when the narrator said whats-her-name was in love with Saburou-sempai and then she went "You didn't have to say that!" OR something like that. Been a long time since I watched the first ep...)

The best, of course, was teh ending. Man, 70s style and afro-wearing frog seargents... best. I so have to get the single of this song... The enemy is a straight-haired blonde!
Old 2004-06-04, 07:49   Link #45
marin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaoi_Pocky
That would be quite illegal, my friend....Tokyopop having licensed the manga and all...
I don't see anything illegal about telling them to go to a bookstore...

That said, some alternate translations would be nice if there are any, since we know just how well TokyoPop's own translations are...
marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-04, 08:30   Link #46
Suikun

Why did I think that Media Blasters had this licensed?

I don't know why, but something in my head keeps making me think that they had this licensed. Have there been any rumors or anything that I'm confusing this with?

Unless I'm going crazy and the idea just magically presented itself in my head... which has happened before...
Suikun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-04, 10:14   Link #47
Yaoi_Pocky
mentionitis ouendanica

What makes you think Media Blasters would have it? My money is on a Bandai license...for 2 reasons:

1) Sunrise is the studio responsible for the animation. As far as I know, most works animated by Sunrise ended up licensed by Bandai - since Sunrise is/was a subsidiary of Bandai Japan. (Of course, most don't mean all. Some Sunrise works are still unlicensed as of now, and some Sunrise works such as Inuyasha are not licensed by Bandai.)

2) Given the copious amounts of Gundam references in Keroro Gunsou...I'd say that Bandai would be the best people to translate said reference, since Bandai pretty much owns the Gundam franchise. (Also, they won't miss an opportunity to parody their own creation. )

Last edited by Yaoi_Pocky; 2004-06-04 at 10:18. Reason: post cleanup...
Yaoi_Pocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-04, 11:21   Link #48
Suikun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaoi_Pocky
What makes you think Media Blasters would have it? My money is on a Bandai license...for 2 reasons:

1) Sunrise is the studio responsible for the animation. As far as I know, most works animated by Sunrise ended up licensed by Bandai - since Sunrise is/was a subsidiary of Bandai Japan. (Of course, most don't mean all. Some Sunrise works are still unlicensed as of now, and some Sunrise works such as Inuyasha are not licensed by Bandai.)

2) Given the copious amounts of Gundam references in Keroro Gunsou...I'd say that Bandai would be the best people to translate said reference, since Bandai pretty much owns the Gundam franchise. (Also, they won't miss an opportunity to parody their own creation. )
I'm really not sure - I knew of all those points and would expect it to go to Bandai as well (and it seems like if Media Blasters had it, Gundam references would put a big kink in the whole royalty/rights thing) but for some reason, prior to seeing this show, I had it stuck in my head that it was pre-licensed by Media Blasters.
*shrug*
I guess I just made it up in my head, somehow.
Suikun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-04, 11:38   Link #49
StormD
D is for Damage!

Send a message via ICQ to StormD Send a message via AIM to StormD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secca
I tought it's similiar like the way samurai says "de gozaru"
You still hear "de gozaimasu" used instead of "desu" in highly formal or polite circumstances. Using the infinitive gozaru, rather than gozaimasu sort of negates the politeness, while keeping the formality, but this is strange and archaic. It'll get you some weird looks if you use it in everyday speech (although can be used for great comedic effect on a drunken bender).
StormD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-04, 15:30   Link #50
Knuckles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy
Also, Keroro doesn't simply use de arimasu in a normal grammatical way. He often
uses it as a kind of sentance ending particle, which isn't really grammatical at all,
and just kind of colors everything he says with a sort of pompous, direct, politeness.
If I remember correctly Steel Angel Kurumi ended all her sentences with desu.
So maybe he is just trying to be cute little soldier and end his sentences with de arimasu.

Other than that I would like to say that this show his hilarious. And even if I have
only seen 2 episodes I think this is one of the best comedy shows I have seen.
Knuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-05, 03:38   Link #51
Meier
A Beck anime? SWOON!

Oh man, just finished the second episode -- pure insanity and totally genius. Hilarious show.
Meier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-05, 04:31   Link #52
Hao Asakura
Newbie arimasen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meier
Oh man, just finished the second episode -- pure insanity and totally genius. Hilarious show.
Yeah, ur rite. 2nd ep is just so damn funny
Spoiler:

Arrghh...Tamama is so cuteeeeeeeeee
Hao Asakura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-18, 14:26   Link #53
Grandia

Keroro Gunso

Great fansub. The mangas were hiliarious.
Just recently downloaded the three available, and have been keeping an eye on the site that fansubs them.

I have also noticed there haven't been any that have been fansubbed lately.
Does anyone know if they do plan on keeping it up? Or has it just been stopped being fansubbed.

I thought it might have been licensed, but then it wouldn't be on bit torrent at all.

Last edited by xris; 2004-07-18 at 14:30. Reason: Please check the "Series Discussion Index" Sticky before creating new threads in the Fansub forum
Grandia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-18, 16:26   Link #54
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

episode 9, long live EVA! Long live Kaworu! XD

they even got koyama mami as a guest CV... that's something
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-19, 09:20   Link #55
Yxy
chaunen...

the EVA parody was seriously funny...the SEELE "box" then the Ninth Symphony and the "descent". ROFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamless
episode 9, long live EVA! Long live Kaworu! XD

they even got koyama mami as a guest CV... that's something
Yxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-19, 09:59   Link #56
Blaat

doh

Meanwhile the fansubbers are at episode, I guess there's a lack of interest of it or maybe its just hard to translate.
Blaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-19, 10:16   Link #57
MrBrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat
Meanwhile the fansubbers are at episode, I guess there's a lack of interest of it or maybe its just hard to translate.
Keroro is not hard to translate as such. What takes time is most likely typesetting all the on-screeners, assuming the fansubbers want to do that.
MrBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-19, 14:22   Link #58
sOnJoOL

Send a message via AIM to sOnJoOL Send a message via MSN to sOnJoOL
theres like up to episode 15.
buts subbed ones are on episode 3.
i hope soldats suddenly dumps us with Episode 4~15......
which has almost no chance of happenning......
sOnJoOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-19, 16:43   Link #59
SidSavage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandia
Great fansub. The mangas were hiliarious.
Just recently downloaded the three available, and have been keeping an eye on the site that fansubs them.

I have also noticed there haven't been any that have been fansubbed lately.
Does anyone know if they do plan on keeping it up? Or has it just been stopped being fansubbed.

I thought it might have been licensed, but then it wouldn't be on bit torrent at all.
Soldats address this on their forum. It's pretty much the standard answer for any fansub group:

http://www.soldats.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=1001
SidSavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-19, 21:25   Link #60
Goras

For those who watched 4+, where did you got the raw?
Goras is offline   Reply With Quote