AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Madoka Magica

Notices

View Poll Results: Madoka Magica - Episode 05 Rating
Perfect 10 40 33.06%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 40 33.06%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 29 23.97%
7 out of 10 : Good 8 6.61%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 1.65%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.83%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.83%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2011-02-07, 18:58   Link #281
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
What? You make it sound like there can only be one selfish person between them. The point is, there are ways around that fight. Sayaka didn't make an effort to get past Kyoko any way possible and instead intended to fight her to win all the way through. Sayaka didn't see Kyoko just as an obstacle to getting to the familiar but as an enemy who opposes her ideals. There IS a difference. Sayaka is not prepared to protect everyone.
You haven't watched or read enough literatures. When someone is deadset on blocking other's path, there really is no way around it. If they try to get through and run, exposing your back on the blocker is a death sentence. Suppose Sayaka managed to run past Kyoko and catched up on the familiar, what's stopping Kyoko to stab her in the back when Sayaka's busy fighting the familiar?

And you know what? I'd be surprised if any morally-good people didn't get pissed off at Kyoko. Look at what happened to Uncle Ben when Peter didn't catch the thief.

Last edited by erneiz_hyde; 2011-02-07 at 19:09.
erneiz_hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-08, 02:05   Link #282
Honoakari
Lurking Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
As a little side-note: The instrument playing the "Ave Maria" during Kamijo's performance was definitely the deepest violin I've ever heard ^_^

I'd rather think it was a viola.
I think it was a violin. The song gets a "deep" feeling because Kamijou is playing mostly on the lower strings. Also, the song doesn't go beyond the lowest note a violin can play.

Last edited by Honoakari; 2011-02-10 at 15:19.
Honoakari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-08, 05:55   Link #283
fukarming

Everyone keeps thinking how Kyubei screw around Sayaka's wish (Kamijo's arm is healed by he cannot play the violin....etc). Had anyone thought of that Kyubei's wish is actually fair? Kamijo will recover fully in no time. But then Kamijo will likely say goodbye to Sayaka in the fashion of "I am going to Germany for a tour. Here is a ticket. Come see me play if you have time" and then Kamijo left Sayaka's life which Sayaka will be unhappy and things will happen.
Then they came for me and force me to be a vegan by that time no one was left to speak up.
fukarming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-08, 12:46   Link #284
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Quote:
Originally Posted by fukarming View Post
Everyone keeps thinking how Kyubei screw around Sayaka's wish (Kamijo's arm is healed by he cannot play the violin....etc). Had anyone thought of that Kyubei's wish is actually fair? Kamijo will recover fully in no time. But then Kamijo will likely say goodbye to Sayaka in the fashion of "I am going to Germany for a tour. Here is a ticket. Come see me play if you have time" and then Kamijo left Sayaka's life which Sayaka will be unhappy and things will happen.
Course not, you silly person. Their obviously must be a catch! There has to be! Because if there wasn't, then that would force us to completely reevaluate our stated beliefs thus far, and we can't have that! Yes, I know there has been no downsides to wishes shown so far, but I just know there has to be!
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-08, 13:37   Link #285
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde View Post
And you know what? I'd be surprised if any morally-good people didn't get pissed off at Kyoko. Look at what happened to Uncle Ben when Peter didn't catch the thief.
Haven't you ever read in phlosophies that morality is emergant and subjective? It is naive to assume that what you consider as morally-good coincides with anyone else's, it can, but that does neither make true or correct. Kyouko is just cynically practical, and frankly more down to earth than self-proclaimed champions of justice.
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-08, 15:41   Link #286
fukarming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
Course not, you silly person. Their obviously must be a catch! There has to be! Because if there wasn't, then that would force us to completely reevaluate our stated beliefs thus far, and we can't have that! Yes, I know there has been no downsides to wishes shown so far, but I just know there has to be!
I just don't understand why everyone is piling on Kyubei when the wish go wrong (It didn't technically go wrong, see my Mami example) instead of the MG - you should have make a more specific wish. So far we know about the wishes of two MG, Mami and Sayaka. Let's analyse Mami's case:

Mami is in about to die, she wish to live, Kyubei grant it to her. She lives.

Mami, however, lives an unhappy life, both because of losing her family, and because the MG job make her feel lonely. Why couldn't Mami, when making her wish, states that I want to be alive and happy! (Will that count as two wishes? ) How about rewording it as I want to live a happy life until 100 years old. This wish implied living and happy, and it sounds like one wish

I know I know, I am just teasing here. Mami is 5 sec to death and she probably didn't think too deeply.

But Kyubei is shown giving time to MG to think about their wishes (Sayaka and Madoka). They should have come up with a perfectly worded wish instead of blaming the wish granter when things went wrong. Kinda like people who blame they win the lottery and brought them misfortune. The lottery (Kyubei) is not at fault, the winner (MG) are if they get into trouble afterwards. (poor finance management/ poorly worded wish)
Then they came for me and force me to be a vegan by that time no one was left to speak up.
fukarming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-08, 20:20   Link #287
J the Drafter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
Haven't you ever read in phlosophies that morality is emergant and subjective? It is naive to assume that what you consider as morally-good coincides with anyone else's, it can, but that does neither make true or correct. Kyouko is just cynically practical, and frankly more down to earth than self-proclaimed champions of justice.
I'd feel much safer with Sayaka as my neighbor than Kyoko, especially if I had something valuable in my house.
Superman: “You know what, Ein? Dreams save us. Dreams lift us up and transform us into something better. And on my soul, I swear — until my dream of a world where dignity, honor and justice becomes the reality we all share — I'll never stop fighting. Ever.”

“Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom” and “Superman vs. the Elite”

(Mostly accurate dialogue, but with a little editing to make it mesh better.)
J the Drafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-08, 21:14   Link #288
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by J the Drafter View Post
I'd feel much safer with Sayaka as my neighbor than Kyoko, especially if I had something valuable in my house.
Yeah, I agree with that.

I don't think I'd characterize Kyoko as evil. Her position, at least so far, is intellectually defensible. It does make some pragmatic sense. But it is a very cold position, and perhaps a heartless one.

So, on the whole, I much prefer Sayaka's position, even if it is a little bit naive.

I'd rather have people that are a bit naive but very well-intentioned, then people that are very "with it" but only care about themselves.
Old 2011-02-09, 05:09   Link #289
EroKing

Homura being from the future seems very much possible and her concern towards Madoka, trying to kill Kyubey before he got to her in the 1st episode might also indicate that she is related to Madoka in some way like her daughter or granddaughter
Old 2011-02-09, 05:28   Link #290
octoberasian
Baka Gaijin :P
*IT Support

After seeing episode 5 again for the umpteenth-time, it kind of hit me:
Spoiler:
octoberasian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-09, 06:33   Link #291
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by octoberasian View Post
After seeing episode 5 again for the umpteenth-time, it kind of hit me:
Spoiler:
Very valid point. Of course, its pretty obvious we will see Mami again. They wouldn't just throw away such a perfect character like that , and it was so early in the series .
Cream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-09, 07:20   Link #292
BaKaBaKaOtaKu
Stupidity is Bliss.

can't wait for next ep!!! XDD

Mawwrr hints to watch out! XD
BaKaBaKaOtaKu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-09, 16:57   Link #293
KaneDragon
*(RAWR*)&rawr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream View Post
Very valid point. Of course, its pretty obvious we will see Mami again. They wouldn't just throw away such a perfect character like that , and it was so early in the series .
She lives on, in the opening.

Such a stylish power, too... Withstood loneliness to create many guns, yet, those hands will never hold anything.
Old 2011-02-09, 17:23   Link #294
applejuice
I kill you
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream View Post
That's in your dream.

Knowing Urobuchi, (as I always say) it's better for Mami to stay death or she will be granted even disgusting hell.
Old 2011-02-09, 19:09   Link #295
scr
my sides are in orbit

It seems that there is another hidden clause in the wish: you can't do any action that contradicts (either the spirit or the letter of) your wish. If you wish for a crippled someone to get better, you can't do action that harm him or her even if he or she is an asshole. Which is why Mami warned Sayaka against wishing for others. You can't control other people, at least not entirely. Similarly, Mami wished to live, live, and live. This is why she can't be melancholic, ever, even if catharsis would have been for the better of her psyche.

As for Homerun, it seems that in the previous world she wished for Madoka to be spared of the fate of a magical girl. So anything that bare even the smallest hint of the existence of magical girls to Madoka, _Homura_ can't do. Note that this applies to Homura and Homura only, nothing prevents Kyubey from offering the exaltation to Madoka or Mami to explain the things about MGs, partially or entirely, to Madoka. Of course, by the rule, Kyubey can't suggest what Madoka should wish for, but he definitely can arrange for situation where a wish would be appropriate. And boy, sure he has a lot of cards up his furry sleeves. Since Madoka is potentially much more powerful than other MGs, he doesn't care if Sayaka or Kyouko is going to be killed in his scheme. They are his pawns.

On Homura's side, she had the chance to kill Kyubey (and probably Mami too) _before_ the creepy critter get the chance to meet Madoka in person. But she failed at that. Now she can't kill Kyubey without antagonizing Madoka (and Sayaka), for the little devil presented itself as an ally to them. On the other hand, now that Kyubey and Mami divulged the information about MGs, nothing prevent Homura from _expanding_ the existing information to Madoka, as long as she doesn't drop a new basic information. she hopes that Madoka will be mentally scarred enough to never consider becoming an MG.

Crapola, now i imagine Homura applying flute to Madoka's- *is nearly banned for divulging information about KnM*
If there's a Final Fantasy game that I must put my personal seal of disapproval on, it's Crisis Core. I mean, just look at how this Genesis Rhapsodos dude is raping the canon. It's bad. As in, fanfiction bad.
scr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-09, 19:12   Link #296
TheDarkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice View Post
That's in your dream.

Knowing Urobuchi, (as I always say) it's better for Mami to stay death or she will be granted even disgusting hell.
I personally think that we will see Mami again. She is still in the opening theme and in the official artwork. I doubt she would just be thrown out after 3 episodes. In my opinion, I believe that Madoka is going to become an MG so that she can wish for Mami to return.
TheDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-09, 19:29   Link #297
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkness View Post
I personally think that we will see Mami again. She is still in the opening theme and in the official artwork. I doubt she would just be thrown out after 3 episodes. In my opinion, I believe that Madoka is going to become an MG so that she can wish for Mami to return.
Mami wouldn't be the first major character to die early on in a major anime's run. In fact, she wouldn't even be the most famous to do so. That would probably be this guy (warning: don't click on that unless you're prepared to be spoiled on a major plot event in a prominent mecha anime from a few years back).

That guy never came back. Well, not in a clear-cut "it's not a dream" way, anyway...

Here's a key, though - Madoka Magica might get a new, or slightly altered, OP for Episodes 7 on (I'm just saying this based on precedent throughout anime as a whole). If that happens, look for Mami in it. If she's not there, she's almost certainly not coming back. If she is there, then I'm with you, lol.
Old 2011-02-09, 19:55   Link #298
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
*snips*
While I'm one of those who want Mami to come back as well, Gen Urobuchi has gone on to mention relatively recently on his Twitter that, had Madoka been greenlit 26 episodes instead of the 12 it had now, we WOULD be seeing Mami again... Or lookalikes anyway, to mess with Madoka's mind (he mentioned a waitress at a cafe, or a lifeguard at the beach as examples). So, don't trust the current OP.

As for this episode, I've already said my thoughts about it elsewhere. I'm looking forward to the one after this more, if only so we could see how Homura diffuses the situation between Kyoko and Sakuya.
Old 2011-02-09, 20:16   Link #299
Dr. Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
While I'm one of those who want Mami to come back as well, Gen Urobuchi has gone on to mention relatively recently on his Twitter that, had Madoka been greenlit 26 episodes instead of the 12 it had now
Wait... did Urobuchi intend for Madoka to be 26 episodes, but it was for some reason cut down to 12? That's not too far from what happened with Angel Beats, except I think we're losing more here since I'm enjoying Madoka far more than I did Angel Beats (Though that show ruled also).
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-09, 20:40   Link #300
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
Wait... did Urobuchi intend for Madoka to be 26 episodes, but it was for some reason cut down to 12? That's not too far from what happened with Angel Beats, except I think we're losing more here since I'm enjoying Madoka far more than I did Angel Beats (Though that show ruled also).
Not really. He replied to a tweet asking whether Mami would come back, and his reply started with 'If we had more episodes...' which I THINK alludes to the old-style 26-episode runs. So, no, 13 episodes was all that's ever been greenlit for Madoka, instead of being cut down from a longer episode run.