AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-05-27, 11:25   Link #441
Joojoobees

Ooohhh, this show always seems so short.

Episode 7:
Another episode with beautiful artwork. I am amazed at how many new locations are featured in this episode. They must have to do a lot of design work to set up for a shot like the Star-gazing chamber, or the mill house. Perhaps some of the other new locations are a little easier for the animators to improv (Toragai in the mountains, Shuga in the hallway, and the funeral scene at the waterfall).
Joojoobees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-30, 03:38   Link #442
Berserker

After watching episode 7, I am liking Chagum more and more. Does anyone else like him, too?
Berserker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-30, 05:01   Link #443
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

I think almost all of us here respect that kid ^^
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

KiNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-30, 10:25   Link #444
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I was thinking back over the scene in episode seven where Balsa and Tanda laugh at Chagum's proposal. I doubt anyone in his entire lifetime had ever laughed at him in this way before. No wonder he looked so hurt and surprised.

Chagum has a lot of potential as an Emperor. I think we'll see more of him as the "emperor in training who grows in character by first living among his future subjects." Chagum makes his proposal after contemplating the cost of living.

On a different note, I showed episode 1 to a 50+ female friend who never watches anime but has an artistic side and likes historical romances. (I've shown her two OP's in the past, from Rahxephon which was playing on her cable service, and from Mahou Shougotai Arusu, which I had on a disk.) She was awed by the animation in Seirei (how could anyone not be awed by the rice paddies?), impressed with how strong Balsa's character was, and immediately caught up in the story. At the end she realized that this was just the beginning of a series about these characters. When I explained that it would probably be about 26 episodes long, she was even more intrigued.

To bring someone like her into the American market for anime probably requires carrying anime programming on HBO, where they'd get HBO's cachet of "quality," on PBS, for the same reason, or perhaps on another cable network like USA Network, Lifetime or Oxygen. All these channels would appreciate that "glossy" look that others have mentioned as well.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-31, 00:35   Link #445
GriS

Episode 8

Though dialogues seem to be excessive for an episode, it's flawless and never bore me. Hearing from both sides before finalising the conclusion is one thing we tend to overlook, especially in accusation case.

At first, I thought the smith is talking about Barsa herself, disguising the case by mentioning it took place 26 years old, only later then I realised it's her foster father, Jiguro.

An impressive episode, given its talkative nature.

Last edited by GriS; 2007-05-31 at 00:48.
GriS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-31, 00:47   Link #446
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Episode 8 is brilliant! Simply brilliant. Now that's a conversation. I wish I knew an old man like that who can have such command in story telling and yet, at the same time, compelling enough to have others tell their story to him. I'm ashamed to admit that my initial impression of this old man was that of a nosy geezer who was too full of himself. In the end, the reason behind his insistence on knowing the story of a person who wants him to make a sword, turns out to be a kind prep-talk for his own motivation and mental adjustment as a sword maker, or in other words, how motivated he will be to make a sword/spear for a warrior.

I'm truly touched by this episode. Balsa-neesan, you are one in a million.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kira_Naruto View Post
I think almost all of us here respect that kid ^^
Whoa, KiNa! Pleasantly surprised to see you post in this thread because it also confirms you are watching it which also means I can request gifs and the likes if I want to.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-31, 01:05   Link #447
Joojoobees

Episode 8: This show continues to impress. I enjoyed watching Balsa practice with her spear. That swordsmith is really quite tricky. More revelations about Balsa's past.

What's not to like?
Old 2007-05-31, 01:25   Link #448
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir
I'm truly touched by this episode. Balsa-neesan, you are one in a million.
*raises Balsa-neesan flag left and right*
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-31, 11:32   Link #449
ssfsx17

Episode 8 is where the hand of the director of GITS SAC really begins to show: an episode that would have been a boring filler episode with bad animation is instead a captivating work of art.
ssfsx17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-31, 21:46   Link #450
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

It also makes me think they're doing a good job of budget management for this show. This episode, effective though it was, probably cost a lot less to produce than, say, episodes one or three. Some productions spend a lot of money up front, and you can see the quality decline over the lifespan of the series when the producers start to hit the budgetary ceiling. Episodes like this one give me hope that this show will not meet such a fate.
Old 2007-05-31, 22:14   Link #451
Joojoobees

Yeah, episode three is the one I recommend people check out to see what the show is if they really need convincing.In fact, I just watched it again, earlier tonight, and I was impressed anew by how awesome it is in so many ways.

Now that we are into the series a bit, I am really enjoying these development episodes. But I realize that at some point there will be another action episode and it will be amazing, because the quality of this show just does not let up.
Old 2007-05-31, 23:08   Link #452
kujoe
from head to heel

One thing I like about episode 8 is the voice acting performance of the smith. Even without the aid of subtitles and some incomprehensible lines here and there, he still got me listening. Must be due to the guy's voice. That's the kind of voice I would like to have when I'm all gray and old.

Oh yeah, about that conversation regarding Jiguro...

Spoiler:

Last edited by kujoe; 2007-05-31 at 23:21.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-01, 02:40   Link #453
runpsicat
Engrishator
*Fansubber

Spoiler:
Old 2007-06-01, 07:18   Link #454
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Ep 8

I just cannot believe how good this show is. It just continues to go from strength to strength. Absolutely incredible character interactions and dialogue and just completely captivating atmosphere, thanks to virtually perfect animation and music. This show just refused to even think about putting a step wrong.

More eps like this, and I'd be almost willing to throw the "masterpiece" label at this series. It really is shaping up to be a true epic.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-01, 11:06   Link #455
Sean

both plot and dialogue of e8 are elaborate and touching.
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-01, 16:10   Link #456
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K View Post
More eps like this, and I'd be almost willing to throw the "masterpiece" label at this series. It really is shaping up to be a true epic.
Just give it a 10 when you do your review for this series and I'll know you labeled it as "masterpiece" without even uttering that word.

*monir joins with Kujoe to wave Neesan's flag frantically*

Also, requesting some shiny aviators that features Balsa-neesan and other non-important figures.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-02, 00:43   Link #457
wao
OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
Just give it a 10 when you do your review for this series and I'll know you labeled it as "masterpiece" without even uttering that word.

Also, requesting some shiny aviators that features Balsa-neesan and other non-important figures.
Ask and you shall...

But I think I'll leave the shiny aviator-making to the pros next time!

Anyway, episode 9 was not bad either - not that much movement but somehow I found it interesting as well. Mostly Shuga-centered.
Spoiler:

I'm starting to think I erally should watch this with subtitles though, seriously about half of the conversation in this episode flew over my head
Old 2007-06-02, 07:45   Link #458
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Quote:

Never given a "10" before. I didn't even give a "10" to Monster, though I certainly thought long and hard about that one. This has to be brilliant for another 16 weeks yet. After that, I may consider it.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-02, 11:18   Link #459
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao View Post
Ask and you shall...
ROFL. I especially liked the silver Andou Mabuki at the top, not to mention those goggles.

Guess I'd better watch my spellings; you never can tell what might result!
Old 2007-06-02, 12:36   Link #460
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Whoa, KiNa! Pleasantly surprised to see you post in this thread because it also confirms you are watching it which also means I can request gifs and the likes if I want to.
I lost my lurking coat ... ;_;

On to ep 8... I think i never seen an anime that dont use flashback when retelling something like this ... Yet, here I am in awed listening to the old man talking about a great warrior of his time :O

If wao cant understand half the episode rawed.. I guess I cant understand 10% of it ;_; ....
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

KiNA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, fantasy, historical, production i.g.