AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Claymore

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-08-10, 17:05   Link #601
Ryus
The One Eyed King

Quote:
Originally Posted by przemoc View Post
But I don't see a good reason to divide this into two threads. Only second (or first) post will be real glossary, the following ones can be suggestions and discussion strictly related to described terms and enhancing ideas.

Each post can only have 50,000 characters (and spoiler tags will take up a good portion of that space, and if we add any images or long explanations this space will go that much quicker)... it will likely be far more than just 1 post by the time we are done with it... and mods (to my knowledge) can't just add a post anywhere they want, since it always goes to the end of the thread. So as soon as they fill up that first post either stuff has to go or the next post will be divided from the rest of the stuff. It's why I suggest 2 threads... unless the mod wants to reserve the first 10 or so posts (If they do post 10 or so blank posts in a row and hope Claymore doesn't run for 10 more years thus requiring more than however many posts they reserved). Also what if the mod leaves... then a new mod just can't edit the other mods stuff.

These are just some of the reasons why I say it's best to divide this suggestion up if the mods choose to do it.

Last edited by Ryus; 2010-08-10 at 20:14. Reason: It's 50,000 characters for posts and 10,000 for VMs... sorry messed up my facts but still... it's limited
Old 2010-08-13, 12:35   Link #602
Kagayaki

Just throwing suggestions around, but maybe some sort of wiki would be a better medium for this than a forum. So instead of the glossary being a huge sticky thread, it might be better off as a one-post sticky that just links to the alphabetical index of a wiki with all this info.

You'd have version tracking and a revert button and all that fun stuff, and everyone would be able to add content instead of juggling two threads and bothering a mod/the OP about every change.
Old 2010-08-13, 17:00   Link #603
Shiek927
Thread Hijacker

Nah; Wiki's are generally a bad idea, because everyone has their own viewpoint.

Their actually is a Claymore wiki, which is all but abandoned because of that very reason; you can't have a wiki for a story like this, because their is very little that is spelled out that everyone 100% agrees with.

Even a wiki for terms...It would just get edited and edited endlessly...at least a forum gives everyone the opportunity to say why on the edits that they do.
Old 2010-08-14, 01:40   Link #604
Gooral
Banned

On wiki you can also say why you want to edit sth and why sth was edited. But I agree, wiki is a bad idea. Obviously Wikipedia is out of the question so we would have to create our own or use Claymore Wiki that Shieky mentioned about. The problem is all of the abbreviations and most of names aren't even official but our own, created on Animesuki. Raciella - name created by tenken 2 years ago, ZACS (don't remember who created this one, gangsta?) aren't commonly used in other places than animesuki (if they are then only thanks to Animesuki memebers who frequent these other places also). But here it's like a canon now.
There are also discrepancies, for example what's the name of Teresa's technique? Pre-emptive youki sensing (PYS) or pre-emptive perception (p.e.p)?
Plus the world of Claymore, while being quite coherent and interesting is a bit small IMO for a whole wiki. This forum IS the wiki of Claymore.
Old 2010-08-14, 12:50   Link #605
Shiek927
Thread Hijacker

Gooral is absolutely right; this forum IS the wiki of Claymore. I never thought of it that way but it's true
Old 2010-08-14, 16:11   Link #606
Ryus
The One Eyed King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooral View Post
On wiki you can also say why you want to edit sth and why sth was edited. But I agree, wiki is a bad idea. Obviously Wikipedia is out of the question so we would have to create our own or use Claymore Wiki that Shieky mentioned about. The problem is all of the abbreviations and most of names aren't even official but our own, created on Animesuki. Raciella - name created by tenken 2 years ago, ZACS (don't remember who created this one, gangsta?) aren't commonly used in other places than animesuki (if they are then only thanks to Animesuki memebers who frequent these other places also). But here it's like a canon now.
There are also discrepancies, for example what's the name of Teresa's technique? Pre-emptive youki sensing (PYS) or pre-emptive perception (p.e.p)?
Plus the world of Claymore, while being quite coherent and interesting is a bit small IMO for a whole wiki. This forum IS the wiki of Claymore.
Nicely put and well argued.
Old 2010-08-14, 23:49   Link #607
Bikerider
Senior Rider of Bikes

How about a new thread for Abysall discussion. It can be titled: The Abysalls. Did they live up to their potential ... or not. Then people can take their debating about this out of the chapter threads.
Old 2010-08-14, 23:51   Link #608
Bikerider
Senior Rider of Bikes

OOH !!! how about this for a new thread !!! Miria: Martyr, Madman or Muttonhead.
Old 2010-08-15, 00:05   Link #609
Jean Claymore
Former #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerider View Post
How about a new thread for Abysall discussion. It can be titled: The Abysalls. Did they live up to their potential ... or not. Then people can take their debating about this out of the chapter threads.
Well I think not.... In fact i could say the 3 AOs are dead already... Dunno Luciella cuz she should be dead if didn't merge w/ Raphaela; but the AOs are just passed out from the story you know... I mean they had potential but indeed the 3 of 'em died insignificantly... at least for me. (maybe for Riful would say REASONABLE cuz Priscilla was much stronger) I think Yagi is messing up too much with the story right now creating new characters and all of 'em are such shrimps... (esp. the claymores from the new generation)
Old 2010-09-01, 15:07   Link #610
Gooral
Banned

It's not exactly request for a new thread but for a poll in Claymore chapter threads. It would be nice to have a graphic representation of people's opinions of chapters just like it once was in Anime Episodes threads. I'm guessing that many people would be dissatisfied with current development but I'm more interested to see whether some people liked it for a change. IMO it was the best chapter in years.
Old 2010-09-01, 15:24   Link #611
Shiek927
Thread Hijacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooral View Post
It's not exactly request for a new thread but for a poll in Claymore chapter threads. It would be nice to have a graphic representation of people's opinions of chapters just like it once was in Anime Episodes threads. I'm guessing that many people would be dissatisfied with current development but I'm more interested to see whether some people liked it for a change. IMO it was the best chapter in years.
......You know, that's not such a bad idea; really, why not?

(Hah; Gooral, you come up with good ideas on this thread )
Old 2010-09-02, 00:35   Link #612
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

A poll has been added.
Old 2010-09-02, 00:49   Link #613
Gooral
Banned

Nice, thank you .
Old 2010-09-20, 17:02   Link #614
vilma13

http://i456.photobucket.com/albums/qq282/vilmaxiii/my%20art/ophelia2.jpg" border="0" alt="claymore"></a>[/IMG]
Old 2010-09-20, 17:10   Link #615
Nixl

Here, one sec

Spoiler for a:

2 things,

1. It is better to edit your original post rather than post additional comments one after another.

2. You should try posting this in the image thread since I am sure others would like to see your work and it does belong under images/art.
Old 2010-09-20, 17:11   Link #616
vilma13

thank ya kindly!! what did ma dumb ass do wrong..lol
Old 2010-09-20, 17:15   Link #617
Nixl

No need to worry, it happens all the time.
Old 2010-10-31, 12:11   Link #618
Gooral
Banned

We really need 109th thread. Not only we have text spoilers but actual pictures also.
Old 2010-12-15, 09:56   Link #619
Gooral
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
OK, I've had plenty of time to deliberate on this, so I'll outline my thoughts and we'll go from there.

One of the main reasons this decision has taken so long is that from previous experience translation threads tend to turn into chapter translation threads (by this I mean so many "minor" requests from one chapter will build up enough that the whole chapter ends up translated). It may not happen at first but it will reach a point where it does. Since nearly every line can be translated in different ways (indeed that's one of your points by showing two different versions), users will feel compelled to discuss, compare, and ultimately work out what a "proper" translation should be for each panel and page.

It's just too big of a can of worms to open. We're not here to be a translating site, that's why there are groups that scanlate. While we have no problem with the occasional discussion of translations in a specific chapter thread, authorizing a full blown translation discussion is just not something we're comfortable with.
I would still like to request such thread to be opened. Maybe not "request a translation thread" but more like "debatable/ambiguous translation" thread or "100 scenes that could have better translation" thread or sth like that. There could be specific rules saying for example that at maximum 2 pages of the same chapter can be posted at once (or 1 page, or 2 panels of one page, or one panel with only a minimal amount of text but very different in different versions). Also there could be a rule that after a translation of such 2 pages would be posted there would have to be at least a week (or month or whatever) interval/gap before next page of the same chapter would be posted and there couldn't be 2 posts next to each other that would show the same chapter. So no 2 pages of chapter 37, week pasts and no one posts anything in that time and someone posts next 2 pages (or 2 pages from other part but from chapter 37). That way there wouldn't be a situation you talk about and even if there was whole chapter translated it would be so scattered that it would be difficult and bothersome to copy every post in 100 different places. But I seriously doubt there would be a situation like this. There are only few places than need translating. 10sigh's translation has very little mistakes so we wouldn't have to worry about 7 volumes at all. From the moment gernot took over it would be also not necessary. The problematic ones are for example volumes 6th, 7th and some of the newest chapters where there are parts really differing from each other (as Ryus posted not far from Solaces's post I've quoted). But not all dialogues are critical there and probably most of them are quite accurate. So there would be no "whole chapter" or "whole volume" translations here. It would rather be a thread where everyone could easily see that it's "Zemu" not "Zema", Raki is from West not South, "Teresa was exceeding Priscilla's youki to the point her eye colour changed" or that Galatea said "I am told / It is said that the rate of increase of power when I release youriki is the highest / greatest among the 47.", etc.

This wouldn't be a thread where you could request a translation
(or there could be, but if you don't like it there could be a rule against it). This would be a thread where there would be a translation. Often, during discussions we notice some ambiguity or unclearness of some dialogues/monologues/comments and often we receive an answer to it. This thread would be a place where all more difficult or debatable scenes could be found.

If it didn't work out it could always be closed and moderated (where too long translations would be deleted) or the whole thread could be deleted. There's no harm in trying, is there?

Edit:
Back me up people

Last edited by Gooral; 2010-12-15 at 10:12.
Old 2010-12-15, 12:23   Link #620
An4rchy99
♥ Ophy~chan ♥

I think this is a really good idea. Its quite problematic with ambiguity and misinterpretation by some TL's. This would enhance our experiences on the debates and leaves more room for discussion on TL in particular as this issue always get a heated debated in the current chapter thread.

About the time period of posting a chapter page: For me it makes sense to start a clear time period to debate and deliberate on choosing a TL page from a particular X chapter from X volume within a 1 weeks time. And the next week we proceed on debating for the chosen page for one week time limit. And repeat the process the next week. This way only a page is posted every other week and it encourages to engage in areas where most people have doubts within a controlled time interval and clearly define a rule to discuss on that particular weeks TL page. I realise this might require sometime to moderate or to control the off topics here but its worth the talk imho.

I also like this idea as it could serve as a reference point to clarify some TL issues which could be deliberated here alone and not scattered on other threads. Hope this helps the process and help such a thread get started