AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-12-31, 01:41   Link #181
justpassingby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie_Nix View Post

By the way, this might have been answered before, but was there ever a reason why the anime was delayed so long?
IIRC, during the LOFT Plus One event, Satou said the post recording interview was in March. 2ch said the anime was slated for Fall airing, but got delayed due to the quake.
So the production was from last year, and planning was the year before. No use of complaining shitty CG went the money probably went to the Frontier movie and/or the new Aquarion. I wonder what was Satelight thinking when they decide to animate this? Try to latch to Satou's old fame? Sasamoto? (younger novel reader would probably never heard of him)? or the Seiyuu?
Old 2011-12-31, 02:12   Link #182
Stevie_Nix
Longtime Lurker

Thanks for the answer justpassingby.
Old 2012-01-01, 11:08   Link #183
ElizLestrad

Anyone know if theres a site for this up with decriptions of the characters? I checked Wikipedia, Anime Encyclopedia, etc but can't find anything. I was trying to find out if one of the characters in the PVs was a "hero" or a villian. Even the wiki page for the manga didnt have character descriptions...
ElizLestrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-01, 12:22   Link #184
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizLestrad View Post
Anyone know if theres a site for this up with decriptions of the characters? I checked Wikipedia, Anime Encyclopedia, etc but can't find anything. I was trying to find out if one of the characters in the PVs was a "hero" or a villian. Even the wiki page for the manga didnt have character descriptions...
Check out this. If you can't understand Japanese, use Google Translate but it wasn't always necessary.
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-02, 06:24   Link #185
justpassingby

I want that book

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizLestrad View Post
This site has the characters and when did they appear in the novels
Old 2012-01-06, 09:07   Link #186
ElizLestrad

@MisaoFan
That was actually the first site I visited, but unfortunately they did the character section as pictures so the descriptions of who the characters are dont translate.

@JustPassingBy
Thanks for the tip, but Googletranslate unbelievably butchers the translations on the pages translating the names down to their meanings and not the actual name, making it impossible to locate the character I'm looking for (Chiaki Kurihara).

Ah well...I might just have to wait for someone to update the wiki page. I'm just debating wether I want to watch it and be disappointed if they go with her as the/an antagonist or just pass if by. Ive seen to many anime where they overuse the two cliches I hate most in anime

1) An antagonist thats the same age as the villian or just happens to go to the same school.
2) Best friend turns villian.

Id just read the manga, but from the stuff Ive read they've changed A LOT between the manga and the anime. That and B&N doesnt carry it.

Last edited by ElizLestrad; 2012-01-06 at 09:20.
ElizLestrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-07, 06:28   Link #187
DangerMouse

Looking forward to this finally starting.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-07, 09:37   Link #188
justpassingby

I was planning to wait for more characters and the mechanics section to appear, but eh? Are the staffs themselves are less enthusiast about this show? Or they're "We've waited long enough, we can still wait some more"?

But here goes. From the anime Characters page (My literal + liberal translation, not official)

Spoiler for Characters:

Oh lordy, imgur file name for Chiaki
Looking forward for OP and ED songs, and their sequence. Here hoping for "歩く系" or "走る系"

Also, have some illustrations from the LN author, Matsumoto Noriyuki.

Edit: I couldn't stream it, but judging by the caps at 2chan, the ED is "歩く系", just like Rinne

Last edited by justpassingby; 2012-01-07 at 14:35. Reason: mistype for Chiaki's planet
justpassingby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-07, 11:21   Link #189
tsunade666

^ the spaceship reminds me of vandread

EDIT:

Without clicking the image. It reminds me of strike witches with that post and not noticing it's a spaceship. And after clicking the spaceship. It reminds me of the mobile armor in gundam seed.
Old 2012-01-07, 12:17   Link #190
justpassingby

Saw the 1st episode. They did cut the history part during the dinner. Oh well, better leave it to Kiritsugu Emiya to narrate them
And what's with the "Kawaii"? Marika was supposed to say "Bijin" Totally not lesbian
Plus point for the staffs because they managed to make the part at the Lamp funnier than it should.
I'm already seeing people saying how boring this episode and this series going to be. Good for me then :P

Last edited by justpassingby; 2012-01-07 at 13:50. Reason: uggh, need some sleep
justpassingby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-07, 12:25   Link #191
Midonin
Last Engage

Spoiler for Mobirates 01 - Pirates (Men of Honor) ~Theme of the Space Pirates~:
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-07, 13:24   Link #192
justpassingby

More from Noriyuki in commemoration with the anime. He's drawing his characters but in Mouretsu style

Old 2012-01-07, 14:28   Link #193
NeoChan
Banned

This anime reminds me of old 70s anime.
NeoChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-07, 14:32   Link #194
Stevie_Nix
Longtime Lurker

Just saw the Crunchyroll simulcast. Damn that was great. I can honestly say it was everything I expected it to be.
Old 2012-01-07, 14:35   Link #195
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

I'm hooked. Was interested all the way through, and now sad that I must wait a week.
Old 2012-01-07, 15:08   Link #196
Utsuro no Hako

A slow start, but the series is supposed to be 26 episodes so they can afford to have actual exposition instead of jumping straight into the action.

I'm guessing the letters of marque are the only things keeping the war from officially ending and the governments on both sides are trying to stop Marika from becoming the new captain.

The subs said Marika's the captain's only daughter -- is that a clue?
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-07, 15:09   Link #197
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Why is it that as soon as I saw her walking in, I knew she'd be voiced by Hanazawa Kana?

This was actually surprisingly more entertaining than I'd thought it would be. I wasn't intending on watching this but I will now.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-07, 15:23   Link #198
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Obligatory:

Obviously in this alternate world Roy Mustang did indeed become Fuhrer and instituted a dress code that was handed down as a holy tradition, even extending to female officers in space.

Actually I watched this without any clue what it was, just happened to see that there was an episode 1 out and decided to check it out blind.

It was... interesting. The character design made me think that it would be horribly cheesy and bad. The awful over-the-top "pirate clothes" of course, but also the school girl outfits and character designs were also... I don't know... off somehow. Cheap. Not as smooth as it should be.

However... once you get past all that:

1: The plot is not bad. A war of independence supported by privateers (the "pirates" are actually privateers, not pirates), some kind of inheritance laws govern inheriting privateers. A main character who has a missing father is revealed to be a special person. Dangerous events force her out of her normal world into a big adventure. Some pretty basic plot lines there but actually executed rather well.

2: The science so far isn't bad. Knowledge of basic space physics such as aerobraking and so forth demonstrated. Which is encouraging. Also, the "everyday technology" was incredibly cool, and you can actually conceive of these things happening in the near future. I happen to know Microsoft is working on some of that stuff right now.

3: Most important the characters are already being established in the first episode. The main character is still a blank slate so far, but that's normal. Other characters are being established. But to me the big clue that there might be something worth watching here was Mami.

Mami is the best friend of the main character in her normal life. Usually such a minor character would get hardly any characterization, and is soon left behind as the main characters move on to more interesting things. Yet with just a few lines and a couple scenes they've already fleshed out this minor character as someone interesting. Enough that I'm actually hoping Mami get to go along on the big adventure with her friend the main character. She'd make for some good comic relief.

Is this going to be the great anime of 2012, with deep philosophical insights like Madoka was last year?

No. But it does look like it might be a fun show. Although I suppose it could still run off the rails. Approved to watch the second episode. Hopefully it will turn out to be fun, even if it's a bit silly.

I also can't help but laugh at the English title "Bodacious Space Pirates" I can't decide if it's worse than "Miniskirt Space Pirates" or not.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-07, 15:41   Link #199
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

I'm glad to know my expectations of this show was correct. A great sci-fi anime and a tribute to old space opera animes.

I got hooked with the 1st episode, the characters are interesting and the story has potential. Can't wait for next week!
Old 2012-01-07, 16:11   Link #200
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
I'm glad to know my expectations of this show was correct. A great sci-fi anime and a tribute to old space opera animes.

I got hooked with the 1st episode, the characters are interesting and the story has potential. Can't wait for next week!
Now that you mention it I did get a felling of some of the older space opera shows and it was damn good.

Still not sure if we'll get anything amazing out of this but as long as it's entertaining I'm on board.

Tags
light novel adaptation, science fiction, seinen, yuri