AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2005-12-30, 06:34   Link #21
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

hmmm

so i finally sat down and watched this.

this is from those people that made card captor sakura i think, but this was done before that.

first of all, i have to say with such a great bargain price for the complete series thin pack, you cannot go wrong with picking this up and it should be in your collection.

now opinions on the show, eh, its a B+.

the character designs, personalities are spot on. the back ground story as to why angelic layer was created and its purpose and applications in the future was very believable and showed a mature theme; excellent.

the shows lags in one area: why does misakichi want to pursue her battles? the propsed reason for this is too weak. seriously, it is that hard to swallow. girls like fighting dolls? since when? at least not the girls i sit next to. if this was angelic puzzle challenge or angelic battle tea time i could believe it. but someone as nice as misakichi wouldnt want to fight much, at least from what is portrayed from her character.

other than that one flaw, this is a good show. it is more oriented toward guys though, even though they tried hard to appeal to the girls. CLAMP has a huge fan following of girls, but its more of the character designs i think. there are a few girls i know that like X but that doesnt count for the majority i think, however, most girls do like rayearth and that has lots of battle action.
Potatochobit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-30, 06:40   Link #22
neoko

Hmmm, i saw it a while ago, the action was good.

I wouldn't mind a season 2 if they up up the action, and pace
neoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-30, 20:54   Link #23
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatochobit
the shows lags in one area: why does misakichi want to pursue her battles? the propsed reason for this is too weak. seriously, it is that hard to swallow. girls like fighting dolls? since when? at least not the girls i sit next to. if this was angelic puzzle challenge or angelic battle tea time i could believe it. but someone as nice as misakichi wouldnt want to fight much, at least from what is portrayed from her character.
1) Why does Misaki pursue her battles?
Because the first thing she saw when she entered Tokyo was an Angelic Battle between the White Angel and another (Whom I forget). The first thing she said was, awesome. I want to play that. But in another sense you are wrong, she DOESN'T want to battle. She just gets caught up in the schemes of Mr. Ichan is sorta cornered into playing something she loves.

2) seriously, it is that hard to swallow. girls like fighting dolls?
Then I guess either you ignore all the girls next to you or you have no idea what goes on in a girl's head. Not all girls are the submissive type. Some love conflict. Girls can be as competitive to another girl as guys are to guys (Heck just watch School Rumble or Kare Kano to see how girls treat other girls). Girls like Dolls. What girl wouldn't kill to have a Barbie that could walk and talk. Basically the Layer represents the inner self of the girl who plays and allows them to come out and be themselves (Like Misaki).

3)but someone as nice as misakichi wouldnt want to fight much, at least from what is portrayed from her character.
Watch it again. Misaki NEVER wants to fight an Angelic Battle. Mr Ichan puts her in those situations time and time again (After the first one..that was Misaki's little oops). Then her friend Tomo is a real Outgoing girl and her best friend Hadoka(?sp the little girl) is also into layer battles too so that helps.

4)if this was angelic puzzle challenge or angelic battle tea time i could believe it
Alas, you do show that you are young. That's the face the girls in Jr High show to guys. That's the nice Sakura of Naruto, not the evil Inner Sakura. I'm sure the Inner Sakura would just love to play a game of Mortal Combat and do multiple Fatalities on her opponents.

If you didn't know CLAMP consists of 4 Girls. Writer, Illustrator, Inker, and Director. There are NO men involved. So who would know what a girl would think of better than a bunch of women.

Angelic layer is geared for the 5-16 year old crowd. In this range I consider it one of the best animes for the age. It's plot is not too complicated yet you get to see real people doing real things. This is NOT pokemon with Robots. This is a Shojo with robots.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-04, 14:05   Link #24
Cyz
"Show it to me"

Angelic Layer is cool! CLAMP certainly make good animes. It's hard to find the DVDs now so if you guys looking for one I suggest you buy the thin-pack box set. It's not that expensive anyway.
Currently Watching:
-- too lazy to put it together --
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
~~~~
Big thanx to Patchy for the sig
Cyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-05, 11:39   Link #25
LovelyLostSoul
Lost

I think it depends on what kind of person you are or rather what type of anime you perfer. I'm a big sucker for magicl girl themes which got me hooked on some of CLAMP's work, although I havent seen the full series I would say it's something that someone should definitly see once in their life time.
LovelyLostSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-07, 05:36   Link #26
porchoky

For some reason I thought angleic layer was awesome. I have no idea why. I think I must have liked the battles, the animation for them were pretty good.
porchoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-07, 06:01   Link #27
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

It was a fun show, though I did freak a little when one of the girls (I forget which one) was called on her desire to send her doll into gladiatorial combat, but responded that her doll WANTS to fight. Perhaps she needs a little therapy?

Freaky. Fun, but freaky.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-07, 07:12   Link #28
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
It was a fun show, though I did freak a little when one of the girls (I forget which one) was called on her desire to send her doll into gladiatorial combat, but responded that her doll WANTS to fight. Perhaps she needs a little therapy?

Freaky. Fun, but freaky.
Not anymore strange than a swordman claiming "My blade thirsts for blood!". It's pretty much the same here.
Old 2006-01-07, 15:14   Link #29
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant
Not anymore strange than a swordman claiming "My blade thirsts for blood!". It's pretty much the same here.
Sorry, but that analogy just doesn't comfort me. I really do find a 12 year old girl saying "My doll thirsts for blood!" to be a trifle more disturbing.
Hardened warrior: "My blade thirsts for blood!"
Little girl: "My doll thirsts for blood!"
Do those really seem the same to you?

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-07, 19:59   Link #30
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
Sorry, but that analogy just doesn't comfort me. I really do find a 12 year old girl saying "My doll thirsts for blood!" to be a trifle more disturbing.
Hardened warrior: "My blade thirsts for blood!"
Little girl: "My doll thirsts for blood!"
Do those really seem the same to you?
How about a competition-driver who claims his Ferrari wants to race?

Or a violinist who claims her 100 year old Stradivarius wants to be played?

It's not about violence, but the fact that when an object was created for a single, specific purpose, the user can feel like that the object wants to fulfill its destiny. (A destiny forced upon by human hands, but a destiny none the less.)

Her doll was created for combat, not for hugging. Every part of its body was built for the Layer. As such, a person who knows that, who feels that, will be compelled to say the doll wants to fight.

By the way, Hikaru as a doll was different, as she was created with no such competitive spirit in mind. The creator wanted a very cool doll that projects the image of herself.
Old 2006-01-09, 15:41   Link #31
moshun

Spoiler:
moshun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-09, 17:32   Link #32
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

To answer Moshun, well other dolls have certain powers, why not Misakis? Heck I wish her doll could throw Lightning bolts like the white one can.
Old 2006-07-22, 04:34   Link #33
SweetSpring
Garden of Tsubaki
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to SweetSpring
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forbin
To answer Moshun, well other dolls have certain powers, why not Misakis? Heck I wish her doll could throw Lightning bolts like the white one can.
white one?you mean Athena?well Hikaru

Spoiler:
SweetSpring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-22, 08:01   Link #34
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forbin
I haven't read the manga, but apparently something likely that happened in that version?

I prefer the anime ending. Hikaru should win with its own distinct style of grappling and throws, especially against someone as important as the white Angel.
Old 2006-07-24, 12:37   Link #35
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

Quote:
Originally Posted by tea_servant_1996
white one?you mean Athena?well Hikaru

Spoiler:
Actually I think all dolls have that potential. But it takes a certain skill.

1) By and Large...they are ** and *****.
2) What kind of girls do Anime Otaku males want? ..................... Female.
3) The odds are good, that the goods are odd.
Old 2009-04-30, 09:53   Link #36
KimmyChan

This is one of very few Clamp animes that I have as of yet to watch but know I'll really enjoy
KimmyChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-12, 07:59   Link #37
jwai

I was halfway through watching Angelic Layer many years ago, but I didn't get to finish it until now, when I got the complete DVD collection. I was a bit annoyed by the lack of quality control in parts of ADV's subtitles, but I was not disappointed by the actual series itself.

I have a few questions though.

Spoiler:

I would like to read the manga of Angelic Layer, but it appears that it is out of print, especially in light of Tokyopop losing many of its previous manga publications.
jwai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-12, 08:13   Link #38
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Spoiler for jwai;2700302:

I haven't read the manga, but those who did, said that there was never a proper explanation.
One could argue that the anime version added the missing pieces that allowed the story to make sense. CLAMP was struggling to tell a Shonen story, it's just not their forte.
Old 2009-10-12, 08:16   Link #39
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwai View Post
I would like to read the manga of Angelic Layer, but it appears that it is out of print, especially in light of Tokyopop losing many of its previous manga publications.
You can still find the manga on most websites though. It's only five volumes, so you shouldn't have much trouble completing it.
Old 2009-10-12, 11:39   Link #40
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwai View Post
How old is Ojiro?[
It is implied that Ohjiro is High School age since he is wearing a uniform and you don't do that in college. I took it out of spoiler since it isn't really much of one.

He's allowed to have 'crushes' and age does not matter after all.

1) By and Large...they are ** and *****.
2) What kind of girls do Anime Otaku males want? ..................... Female.
3) The odds are good, that the goods are odd.

Tags
action, shounen