Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-01-16, 16:53   Link #41
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Uh.. an old thread resumed.

By the way, it's kind of wierd for me to see that out of two pages, no one has at least mentioned Kimagure Orange Road as favourite anime romance.
I admit that maybe it isn't the highest of all, but it created characters who went straight to the common anime imaginary for peoples, like Madoka Ayukawa and Kyosuke Kasuga, really two myths at least for me and for my earlier adolescence

Last edited by Pellissier; 2006-01-16 at 17:16.
Old 2006-01-16, 18:46   Link #42
Kaiko

The upcoming AIR? Theres gonna be a new AIR TV?
Old 2006-01-17, 02:50   Link #43
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiko
The upcoming AIR? Theres gonna be a new AIR TV?
Nope.
If you check the date in which "the upcoming air" was mentioned, you will see november 2004, meaning before Air was .. aired ^^
This is just an old thread which has been resumed.
Old 2006-01-17, 05:56   Link #44
Renesis-C
Senior Member...?

I'm just repeating suggestions, but that also means they were good ones (because more than one person recommended them, not because it was me).

In no particular order ('cos there's no 1 best romantic anime, they all have different sub genre's so can't be compared completely)

Kare Kano
Fruits Basket
Suzuka (Best of 2005 and ranks highly with the good ones)

Now a bit of personal opinion:
KGNE is way too overrated. People say it's realistic, that's why it sets it apart from every other romance anime.

This is my take on it: People think it's realistic BECAUSE it doesn't follow traditional anime romance plotlines (guy chases girl, girl rejects, guy gives up and moves on, girl either likes him now or secretly always has). But if you actually think about the actions and things some of the characters do, you'll realise it's not real that true to life.

Again, Personal opinion.

Prepare for the flooding of hate-mail and flaming.
Old 2006-01-17, 08:28   Link #45
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Full Moon is the BEST.
Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne with a beautiful love story.

It's a tie between those two.

The heroines of both series are way deeper, smarter, and MUCH more mature than any of Yuu Watase's girls (Fushigi Yuugi, Ayashi No Ceres) Watase's girls just come off as really clingy and pathetic, unfortunately. And everyone is in love with everyone else which gets kind of annoying. FM and KKJ keep it to two guys for each girl and two girls for each guy. Now that's not so bad, is it?
Old 2006-01-19, 22:46   Link #46
Straywolf

Hm, just to contribute my $0.02. I love this genre of anime and am always out looking for more shows to put atop my list. But here are some of the stuff I have seen and how I rate them.

Kareshi kanojou ni jijou - This has to be one of the best told romance stories ever. Although the anime is subpar in the end due to staff changes, the story is so well told from both his and her perspective that you can't help but really feel for the characters (even though they start to look like paper cutouts) . But I think if you manage to get your hands on the manga, I have yet to see a romance that comes close to this in terms of realism, nostalgia, and just pure awe.

Maison Ikkoku - I've watched the anime (yes all 96 episodes, OAVs, movie) many times over (subtitles! no dub!) . I've also gone thru the manga which is very similar to the anime, but has some more story to be told. It is fairly realistic of what you would see in the 80's and 90's lifestyle and you can't help but fall for the characters. I really like this series by Takahashi because it is one of the series where the male lead isn't like Ranma/Inuyasha stereotype. I wish there was more of the story to watch, but the ending is very good.

Kimagure Orange Road - Ayukawa forever! Well yes, this story is all about Ayukawa IMO, it is a decent story, not completely realistic, but the way Ayukawa is portrayed just forces you to put her on the top of your babe/idol list. Makes you wish you were Kyousuke!

Ah! Megami-sama! - The anime OAVs and movie are pretty good, but the manga is so much better. Actually, the AMG TV series that was out is starting to tell the manga story with some changes to the plot (though I think they did pretty well in preserving the feel of the manga) It is a great and laid back series that just gives you a warm feeling to watch/read.

Hana Yori Dango - Have not watched the anime, but the manga is probably one of the top shojou romances out there. Must read.

Futokoi Alternative - This was a very enjoyable series - somewhat heartwrenching in the middle, but had a good end. The character and interactions are great. The artwork is very nice. Overall, it is romance and some comedy with a twist.

I''s - Anime is no good (although I''s Pure seems promising since it follows the manga more closely). I''s manga is one of the top shonen romances out there.
Some other mangas in the same category as I''s are: Video Girl Ai, Ichigo 100% (dropped in my rankings due to poor ending), Limlim Kiss - must read!

Lamune - I have not finished watching this anime, because I really want to take my time and enjoy it. Many people don't like it because they say there is no story or plot. But the people who like it say that the story is all about the simple interactions between Ken and Nanami and their friends. It's very nostalgic and sweet, slow paced romance.

KGNE - This was a very good drama romance while I was watching it, but it was too depressing. In the end, I ended up playing the game to see some of the better endings

Full Metal Panic/Fumoffu/TSR - Not completely romance, since it has comedy, action, suspense mixed in, but it is definitely one of the best shows out recently.

To list some others which I am too lazy to give description:

Aishiteruze Baby - just watched this recently, too cute!!!
Onegai Teacher - every guy's fantasy at some time or another
Aoi Yori Aoshi - pretty sweet, but the side characters detract from it
Love Hina - enjoyable, but gets cliche
School Rumble - excellent series, but more comedy than romance

Those are some of my favorites, if anyone seen anything I haven't seen, please leave suggestions for me. I'm always looking for some new series to watch
Thinking about watching Full Moon wo Sagashite next.
Old 2006-01-20, 00:53   Link #47
Mirai
Sata Andagi!

I'm going to be an ass and say most of the previous suggestions suck. Of course this is my opinion so feel free to flame me.

I have nothing good to say about Air and Kanon except that I finished watching them and I wont ever have to again.

We can just ignore all the mentioned harem animes because they arent really a romantic anime to begin with. Ai Yori Aoshi, Love Hina, Onegai Twins, Onegai Teacher, Ah! Megami-sama all mostly fit in here, and these I will veto.

I havent seen all of Full Moon..but with flying death gods, I doubt that realistic romance has a place there.

I watched a few episodes of Rose of Versailles however was so disgusted with the animation that I didn't watch anymore. For the hell of it, I'll mention that I have never done that with any other series, and I have hundreds of dvds.

Maison Ikkoku was a very long anime and may have influenced my opinion of it negatively. For being so long, very little progression actually took place.

Though entertaining, I don't believe that romantic comedies are what this thread is about. Midori no Hibi, School Rumble, Tsukuyomi, Full Metal Panic.. I veto.

Fruits Basket? Was there even any romance? Not that I remember.

Don't get Suzuka unless you want to suffer. Horrible anime. Just plain wretched. Watching this just makes me want to kill all the characters.

Enough with the trash, might as well talk about some decent things now.

Kimi ga Nozomi Eien was alright. I guess if you can handle the usual male character who cant make decisions then it wouldn't be that bad. It is too frustrating to watch, in my opinion.. which is mainly the reason Suzuka sucked so much. 6/10

Kareshi Kanojo no Jijou was probably the closest anyone has got to a real romance anime. There is very little air time given to anything but the relationship between the two main charaters or their development as a person... which makes it a good thing in this case. 9/10

Aishiteruze Baby is fuzzy in my head. I saw it too long ago. I only remember that I liked it for the most part which means it cant be that bad nor good. 7/10. It is available on Animesuki.

Chobits. You'd like to think an anime involving a man and a female android would be more fictional than real. There was actually few supernatural events occuring here, and they were short lived and hardly a nuisance. I liked this anime alot, because of the multiple romances involved, the character development, music, and animation quality. As to not go into more detail, I will at least say that I have been wanting to rewatch this anime and plan to do so soon. This doesnt happen much. 10/10

Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora has just recently come out. Having only one episode to judge from, I would like to believe that this is indeed a romance anime and does seem very intriging. The story as I know it involves a young man who meets a girl in a hospital. The girl has some disease and thus a short time to live. I cannot say much without defeating the purpose of the first episode, so go take a look. It is available on Animesuki.

I for one would like to nominate PlanetES. Romance does indeed take place, and is a large part of the second half. I will not though, since that would make me a hipocrite. I will just mention that I wanted to shamelessly plug a good anime that very few people watch. Yes, you may like it. Chuck Norris likes it and gives it two thumbs up. If you do not like it, Chuck Norris will give you two roundhouse kicks.

I have done my damage.
Old 2006-01-20, 02:20   Link #48
Renesis-C
Senior Member...?

Don't watch chobits if you think your going to get the best romance anime.

Series is good, but it's no 10/10. Too much fanservice for it to be considered "best romance anime" or even in the top 10 of romantic anime.

BTW Mirai: This isn't me trying to flame you, I agreed with all of your post up until the chobits bit. Just thought I'd point out that chobits ain't that great (imo) and shouldn't be watched thinking it was the best anime/romantic anime out there
Old 2006-01-20, 04:40   Link #49
Straywolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirai
We can just ignore all the mentioned harem animes because they arent really a romantic anime to begin with. Ai Yori Aoshi, Love Hina, Onegai Twins, Onegai Teacher, Ah! Megami-sama all mostly fit in here, and these I will veto.
Yea, I agree some of them are harem-anime obviously. But I don't know that AMG fits into that category. It seems to be in its own unique category (first time I seen it classified as harem). Either way, being harem-anime doesn't mean it has no romantic plot.

Quote:
I havent seen all of Full Moon..but with flying death gods, I doubt that realistic romance has a place there.
I haven't seen this either, but I'm willing to give it a shot. Everyone seems to have it listed pretty high on their to-watch list so it can't be that bad. I won't judge it til I've seen some of it.

Quote:
I watched a few episodes of Rose of Versailles however was so disgusted with the animation that I didn't watch anymore.
I've tried watching a little of RoV too, but the really old artstyle really put me off. Same thing with Touch. I'm probably missing out on a good story, but oh well

Quote:
Don't get Suzuka unless you want to suffer. Horrible anime. Just plain wretched. Watching this just makes me want to kill all the characters.
All in favor of killing off the leads for Suzuka (except Honoka-chan), vote Aye!
"Aye!"

Quote:
Kimi ga Nozomi Eien was alright. I guess if you can handle the usual male character who cant make decisions then it wouldn't be that bad. It is too frustrating to watch, in my opinion.. which is mainly the reason Suzuka sucked so much. 6/10
Play the game, its much better!

Quote:
Kareshi Kanojo no Jijou was probably the closest anyone has got to a real romance anime. There is very little air time given to anything but the relationship between the two main charaters or their development as a person... which makes it a good thing in this case. 9/10
Seems like KKNJ is almost unanimously on everyone's top list.

Quote:
Aishiteruze Baby is fuzzy in my head. I saw it too long ago. I only remember that I liked it for the most part which means it cant be that bad nor good. 7/10. It is available on Animesuki.
I just finished the manga which has a little more story to tell. Very good ending.. wish there was more ; ;

Quote:
Chobits. You'd like to think an anime involving a man and a female android would be more fictional than real. There was actually few supernatural events occuring here, and they were short lived and hardly a nuisance. I liked this anime alot, because of the multiple romances involved, the character development, music, and animation quality. As to not go into more detail, I will at least say that I have been wanting to rewatch this anime and plan to do so soon. This doesnt happen much. 10/10
Oh Chobits, it was a very good series. It certainly was very thought provoking and Chi is cute, however I don't think it deserves a 10/10. One of the reasons is that the character development is very abrupt. It's like.. ding! all of a sudden, X is dating Y, ding! A really likes B, etc... Lots of fanservice, not that I mind
However, the art in the manga is really outstanding as you would expect from CLAMP.
Old 2006-01-20, 12:53   Link #50
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Just want to comment on a couple of titles that was mention.

AMG - It is a harem anime in that it has one male lead living with a bunch of cute girls. AMG more or less started this type of genre. If you look at love hina, Lh took a lot of elements of AMG into its story.

Fruit Basket - Great Series, love the anime, trying to catch up on the manga. But is it really a Romance Anime It is Shujo but wheres the romance. I see friendship and familiy as the main theme more then romance.

Full Moon - Another good series, but while it has more romance then FB. Romance is still not the main topic in this series. Chasing ones dream seems more apporiate.

KGNE - I wouldn't say the story is more real then other series. But the character interaction is definely more "real" then 99% of other titles in the same genre. And whether someone will like this KGNE will depend on whether that person likes Heavy Drama.
Old 2006-01-20, 18:35   Link #51
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Right now i'd say Paradise Kiss...can't believe how under the radar this show is...It should get some serious consideration for best new series of the year...Now it isn't just romance, but there is a good deal of it...Besides being visually impressive, this show has really captivated and surprised me by how good it is...
Old 2006-01-20, 19:13   Link #52
shikamarufoo

I think Full Moon and KGNE were pretty good romance anime, though Full Moon isn't all about romance. Just my opinion...
Old 2006-01-20, 20:09   Link #53
jedinat

KGNE is a demonic tool intended to induce suicide. It's just cleverly disguised as a romance anime.
Old 2006-01-20, 23:25   Link #54
mit7059

Althought Suzuka could be frustrating at points, it is actually relatively deep, it has dynamic evolving character, but I actually hate Suzuka as a character.
Shuffle!, while entertaining, is definatly not the best romance anime ever, but it must be watched none the same.
I actually enjoyed Da Capo a lot, even though it had the 1 guy bunch of girls thing like Suffle, I thought it was better because it really only focused on two of the girls, and the shorter episodes makes the series go by in a flash.
DN Angel is one of my favorite animes ever, and while the romance in it is good, it is somewhat few and far between.
I dont really think of Air as a romance anime, I'm not sure what I would call it but It's not really romance.
I can't make comments on the rest of those animes mentioned because I haven't seen them, hope this helps someone.

More of a manga reader now than an anime watcher. Currently reading list here
Old 2006-01-21, 00:14   Link #55
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Well Full Moon is about romance AND singing. But the singing is based on the romance-they are ALL love songs, the main little girl is singing for the sole purpose of meeting someone she loves who loves her, then another boy falls for her, but there's a rather possessive girl in love with HIM and another guy in love with HER who she herself was in love with....

Confused yet? XD

Well don't worry-it's not a third as bad as other shoujo romances-y'know like instead of a triangle, it's a octogon...x_x lol
Old 2006-01-21, 00:32   Link #56
tun
lolwut
*Fansubber

Futari Ecchi, without a doubt.
Old 2006-01-22, 23:47   Link #57
Rikki-chan

On my scrounges at the local Blockbuster I found a movie called Voices of a Distant Star. I rented the movie and watched it and was surprised at how such a short movie coud be so good! It was really wonderful, though the animation on the people could have been better and the movie could have been longer than only 30 minutes, it was very good. I watched it at least five times in one day, I really reccomend renting it if you're loooking for a romantic anime fix, though watch out because it (or at least I found) was very depressing.
Here's a link to the site: Voices of a Distant Star
Old 2006-01-23, 09:08   Link #58
memooo123

I will give you the right answere the best romantic anime is "Kimagure Orange Road" its the best romantic anime i had ever seen if you saw it you will cry blieve me i exprience it by my self if you want to know about this anime go to this suit
http://www.manga-japan.it/kor-universe/
her you will find all you want
Old 2006-01-23, 22:20   Link #59
KageSennin
Shadow Master

Send a message via AIM to KageSennin
I was surprised when reading this thread at all the suggestions of KOR, I didn't know anybody else knew it existed >_>. Also, I feel like a loner over here, considering it seems like I'm the only one who didn't like Karekano. I watched 2 1/2 episodes of it, after downloading a 6GB dual audio complete series, and decided it was so terrible that I stopped seeding and deleted it. I personally don't see anything good about that series.
On another note, I didn't see anyone suggesting Ajimu. It's only 4 episodes long, and it's not top notch stuff, but I actually can say I thought it was definitely worth downloading/watching.
Also, it's not quite a romance anime per se, but Kono Minikukumo Utshukushii Sekai was ridiculoawesome IMHO. The visuals blew me away, the voice acting is right on par, and the story was amazing, all in a 12 episode series. I think it was headed by GAINAX if I remember correctly, so that could explain a bit of it, but the story does extend out to the romance genre after you get past the alien monsters and the fight against extinction >_<...
Keep up the good suggestions guys!
Old 2006-01-24, 17:00   Link #60
Xess
Go Suzuka!

Haha, I'd love to wait 2 years for my suggestions request to be replied. But for others reading this, KGNE is still the way to go. It was good 2 years ago and it's still good now.

For something more recent, Suzuka is something everyone should give a chance. I really hated watching it though because I never wanted the show to end... but it did... *sighs*.

As for Paradise Kiss, that's really good as well. But I don't consider it a romance anime. It's more like, it's a show about the glamour life of being an upcoming model and living in the surreal world of fashion. something like that.
Closed Thread