AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2012-07-13, 22:20   Link #1621
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

Another month of waiting

*sigh* I thought this is supposed to be biweekly

Von Himmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-13, 22:31   Link #1622
Sol Falling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Himmel View Post
Another month of waiting

*sigh* I thought this is supposed to be biweekly
The main series is biweekly. In exchange, for Achiga, we usually get ~60-90 page chapters every month.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-13, 22:34   Link #1623
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

Yeah but the text at the end of the main series says that the next chapter would be on August At least it's still better than the times when Saki fights Koromo The wait was really long at that time.

Von Himmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-13, 23:05   Link #1624
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
One month isn't that long you know, given the huge chapters that Achiga gives us. For the main manga though, ah...
Old 2012-07-13, 23:37   Link #1625
Scarletknive
Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
One month isn't that long you know, given the huge chapters that Achiga gives us. For the main manga though, ah...
I haven't caught up with the main manga but seriously, if the chapters are longer, the possibility of an anime adaptation of 2nd season can happen next year instead of some years later...

What if Toki died and become a god?
Kuro in that RPG avatar should be miko suit.. Oh wait... (VA Joke to another anime)
Old 2012-07-13, 23:44   Link #1626
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarletknive View Post
I haven't caught up with the main manga but seriously, if the chapters are longer, the possibility of an anime adaptation of 2nd season can happen next year instead of some years later...
It's remarkably easy to get caught up with mainline Saki. The Prefecturals ended around chapter 50, and yet it's still just chapter 99. It might be a while (like a year or more) before they even catch up to where Achiga was at the end of the TV airing, which was the Vanguard match for their side of the semis.
Old 2012-07-14, 02:46   Link #1627
tsunade666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
You mean Sukoya? Then yeah, it's her that Harue ran across and lost to. Given her reputation (inter-high champion, professional champion with a nine-year winning record that remains unbroken in the present day), she's likely a monster too, but one that's slowed down already.
I knew she manage to beat Harue but I didn't know her record wow MONSTER. Unbeaten for 9 years? and she fought Harue 10 years before when she was been dealt with a combination of 3 players working in the table against her. Her track record as a pro is scary.
Old 2012-07-14, 03:40   Link #1628
Marina2

It must because I have seen anime first....but Ch.12 in manga looks very plain compared to anime version.
Old 2012-07-14, 06:53   Link #1629
MarkS00N

Chapter 12 of Achiga is a proof for me that Saki is a series where the anime gives you spoiler for the original manga and I don't think any other series ever do that...
Also, a proof for me that Saki is an ideal adaptation anime in my eyes (which is faithful in adaptation, but able to see the manga weakness and improve it)...

Love this series more and more...
MarkS00N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-14, 09:59   Link #1630
King-Slayer

Nothing worth noting in this chapter because all of it was in the anime. But apparently we get the chapter on the 1st, so its not that long of a wait.
King-Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-14, 13:22   Link #1631
Sol Falling

lol. Art error on pg. 212...that should've been a 5-sou, not a 5-pin.

Pretty much a direct correlation to scenes in the anime, however I still have to say that it was worth reading it. For a couple of scenes, Kuro especially was drawn pretty cute.

Also, we saw it already in the anime, but Teru's battle avatar form is just super badass. Lance in her right hand, mirror shield in her left. I love it.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-14, 13:24   Link #1632
dingmajiao

Am I the only one who feel disappointed that the anime team didn't work out to even try to extend the Bansei prefecture competition?? Could easily have made it 24 episodes.. I could understand jumping the 1st round since Saki pretty much skipped the first round as well..

And am I the only one who freaking doesn't want Achiga to progress to the finals?
dingmajiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-14, 13:36   Link #1633
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingmajiao View Post
Am I the only one who feel disappointed that the anime team didn't work out to even try to extend the Bansei prefecture competition??

And am I the only one who freaking doesn't want Achiga to progress to the finals?
Yes for the first. Do take note that the production team for Saki has, by and large, stuck closely to the manga material. Aside from the individuals and the training camp of course, but that's because at that point the show had already overtaken the manga (again, it bears repeating that Koromo vs. Saki in the manga ended AFTER the last episode of the anime). And Achiga-hen has pretty much been almost a frame-by-frame adaptation, with minor enhancements in the anime (though the manga managed to one-up the anime in showcasing Teru's humanity in Chapter 12).

As for the second, you're likely not the only one, but that's generally because of Kuro's poor showing in the last four episodes, and the spotlight being put squarely on Toki for the same amount of time. The Achiga girls are far from unlikeable, and they fit all the criteria for being the underdog team that the series favors, but they're definitely shortchanged due to the brisk pacing -- for example, we STILL have no idea what Arata is supposed to be capable of.

P.S. Regarding pacing, a quick re-read of the Side-B manga shows that mainline Saki suffers the same pacing and characterization issues, in that it skips some parts while focuses too much on others. I think we blew through Mako's matches TWICE now, while narratively focused heavily on Hisa's and Yuuki's segments against Eisui. And as for Saki herself? We no longer know what's going on in that head of hers, as the manga's stopped giving her any internal monologues.
Old 2012-07-14, 13:57   Link #1634
Marina2

Quote:
Am I the only one who feel disappointed that the anime team didn't work out to even try to extend the Bansei prefecture competition?? Could easily have made it 24 episodes.. I could understand jumping the 1st round since Saki pretty much skipped the first round as well..
1. Ritz doesn't want it = Anime doesn't do it.
2. Anime DID extend Bansei prefecture a lot.
3. Create the "original" mahjong game is x10 harder than original action scene in action/fantasy anime.

You know, you need to think a lot about how each player hands looks like at one time, tiles on a table, the score and all of them must related.

Quote:
People usually say this because they find Senriyama have more screen time and better character. That's true BUT now Toki (who is the main screentime stealer) is out of Achiga way. Author can now have a good time building up Achiga characters for the rest of rounds.

Kuro had very few screentime in semi-final because she's already the person who readers/viewers know about the most before semi-final round (her playstyle, personality, past). With that, author decided to put her aside and built up Teru, Toki and Kirame during the round insted and just let Kuro do something epic at the end so it doesn't look too bad for her. And if Achiga can go to final, Kuro will have another chance to shine.

Moreover, author cannot let Kuro win a lot because Achiga score will go up very high. Don't forget that Kuro can make score exceed 200,000 easier than Teru if she win a lot. It is a plot reason why Kuro need to look weak..too bad for her.

Last edited by Marina2; 2012-07-14 at 14:12.
Marina2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-14, 13:59   Link #1635
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

*wants Achiga to progress to the finals*
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-14, 18:15   Link #1636
Sumeragi
Banned

About all the "Sukoya is a monster" talks: I believe it's only within the league Sukoya participates in.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-14, 19:26   Link #1637
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
About all the "Sukoya is a monster" talks: I believe it's only within the league Sukoya participates in.
Which, if we go by Saki: Biyori (at least a year before Saki, as in the main manga Kouko says that her last tourney was a local one), is the international pro circuit. Remember, Kouka asks Sukoya the following: "Have you been to Europe?/Have you been to South America?" Sukoya answers yes to both questions, then clarifies that she was playing mahjong at both places.

And again being a former inter-high champion and as-of-yet unbeaten record holder of a 9-year win streak is nothing to sniff at. Though the paisley patterns that always seem to accompany the flashbacks associated to her kind of hint that she's likely not a "normal" player, either.
Old 2012-07-14, 23:47   Link #1638
dingmajiao

@Marina2

I agree with the Bansei thing but they had some time while the manga was running and I was kind of hoping they could extend a little on bansei's arc. It was extended. But still it was too short for me. That's why I was disappointed.

I've nothing against Achiga players. I like them but for them to be better than Senriyama, a consistently top 4 side is really an insult to all the top school in that 2 times now, a team that somehow finds 5 players can make it to the finals with some training. Kiyosumi was special, they had a hidden monster and a middle school champion and a top 5 player in Nagano. Achiga doesn't have such luxury except that they probably have 5 really good players. Senriyama imo have 5 great players.
dingmajiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 01:00   Link #1639
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Their selling point is that they have an excellent coach that was able to bring them up to par.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-15, 02:12   Link #1640
MarkS00N

Quote:
I've nothing against Achiga players. I like them but for them to be better than Senriyama, a consistently top 4 side is really an insult to all the top school in that 2 times now, a team that somehow finds 5 players can make it to the finals with some training. Kiyosumi was special, they had a hidden monster and a middle school champion and a top 5 player in Nagano. Achiga doesn't have such luxury except that they probably have 5 really good players. Senriyama imo have 5 great players.
You've got to remember that their coach, the one they daily train with, is a pro or at least in a pro level. The only reason Akado seems incompetent is because she can't forced Kuro to change her style.

Also, the only person I see as the weakest in Achiga is Arata and that because a) We never see her style, b) She hasn't played since elementary. Just imagine, a person train a novice in mere months and able to make that novice play in national level.

Even in Senriyama, the top notch player are Toki, Sera, and Ryuuka with Toki as the only person that able to surpass Achiga's representative, Kuro.

The scoreboard show us that Ako and Sera is on same level, Yuu outclassed Senriyama's sergeant, Arata plays better than FunaQ, while the Shizu vs Ryuuka won't matter because there is a demon in their fight (Awai).

Note that I don't said I wish Achiga to advance instead than Senriyama, but to state that Achiga's player is outclassed by Senriyama's is not correct.

Though I believe Achiga will advance to final because of...
Spoiler for Of...:
MarkS00N is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mahjong, nopan, seinen, sport, yuri