Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-05-27, 07:28   Link #2741
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikvod00 View Post
The "confirmation" Kanon may be referring to is Kane's puzzled reaction when Marika suggested a tactic that Coach Kane had used. In this episode, Marika tells the crew they should use "that" against the attacking company (using Bentenmaru's cannon as they did last episode during the race). Everyone knew what she was talking about aside from Kane, and he was supposed to be the one to have suggested it in the first place. There was another example of this in the previous episode too, where Marika returns to the ship and asks Kane why he's acting so weird (Coach Kane), and he is similarly confused about what she's referring to. Those were red flags for me, because there's no reason for them to include him forgetting things he's done unless there are two different people.
Yep, that's exactly what I was referring to. I did find the scene showing Coach and then Kane on the Bentenmaru immediately after weird as well, but at the time I figured it was just an awkward transition. However, having him not remember what he did as Coach once again struck me as very fishy, especially since everybody else on the ship figured out right away what Marika has in mind. Kane never struck me as the slow type, so I find it pretty suspicious. If it had only happened once, I wouldn't have thought much of it, but that's already the second time.
Old 2012-05-27, 09:01   Link #2742
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

As has been stated before, he had very little to go on. "That thing you did." is very vague. What thing? Could you be more specific? I'm sure Kane has done lots of things around Marika and is probably wondering which "thing" she's talking about. Then, as has been pointed out before, once he understood what she was talking about, he went into action appropriately.

Endless "One Kane" Soul
Old 2012-05-27, 09:25   Link #2743
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
I think I need a refresher on the privateer laws of the Sea of Morningstar.

The Bisque Company is after Marika's privateer license as such the last of her line she is a target for assasination.

Is the Sea of Morningstar issuing Letters of Marque on non-descendants other than the original privateers?

Next ep we see privateer ships being attacked. Possibly connected to Marika's assailants.
I got the impression was that someone was jealous she got one, and was going to eliminate her. The pirate hunt next week as well lends to that notion. Someone is destroying the legal pirates, and it might just be misplaced pride, or an old ghost of Morningstar's past coming back to haunt them.

And Kane seems to have something to do with them, too. Maybe his brother as well?

I think there's enough to dub this arc:

Moretsu Pirates II: The Wrath of Kane

Katou: Kaaaaaaaaaaaaaane!!

Shout included.
Old 2012-05-27, 10:45   Link #2744
mechalord
Deploying Funnel Cakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
So let's see:

Planet

Sea of Morningstar
Calmwind
Serenity

Any more planets?

The Serenity Cluster is composed of seven systems. Serenity is the capital. The other 6 planets have yet to be named. They are some of oldest colonized worlds.

Chiaki is from Sea of Forrestar, a former Colony Federation planet. It seems the inhabited planets in the Colony Federation were named as seas of their respective stars.

Privateers come from the Colony Federation space... we should call it the Colony Federation Zone of the Galactic Empire.

Their former enemies were from the Stellar Alliance... Stellar Alliance Zone of Galactic Empire.

Humans have been space faring for thousands of years... they've been in space so long that space colonies had space colonies. Sea of Morningstar was at least a second or third generation colony.

So the guy in the hood from the episode 20 is Kane's brother?
mechalord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-27, 11:21   Link #2745
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Soul View Post
Also, the engineering console was surrounded by teddy bears!
They entered a planet atmosphere in a vessel not designed for it, in those circumstances either you take ALL of your good luck charms or get so drunk as to not care anymore

Quote:
I also wonder how Ai was breathing at such a high altitude.
My first reaction is how is she breathing AT ALL, it was very lucky that the planet had a high concentration of oxigen (seems to me the planet is covered with water, so there is no problem of everything burning).
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-27, 11:24   Link #2746
novalysis

Actually, I'm more concerned for Ai's hearing. How did her eardrums survived?
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-27, 11:30   Link #2747
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Spoiler:

The real winner of this ep....Oh my god she's too cute...just too cute...

The aurora was stunning too...

Well next week's ep looks delicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post
Actually, I'm more concerned for Ai's hearing. How did her eardrums survived?
Well depends how fast and high she was.....

After all planes used to be open air cockpits...
Old 2012-05-27, 11:31   Link #2748
Kyuu
=^^=

If Mouretsu does get a 2nd season... the series needs a Wiki -- just to keep track of everything.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-27, 14:35   Link #2749
Kadi
知識の探求者

You got it all wrong: The real winner is Marika's hair stylist. Have you seen her hair stay in place during the drop from the space station? Wonders of science!

Spoiler for Two Kanes!?!:

And for those putting together a list of planets: You might want to note that Calmwind's name originally follows the same pattern as Sea of the Morningstar, Sand of the Red Star and the like. Which have all been flipped during translation, too (e.g. in Japanese sea is the attribute to morningstar, not the other way around), but that's a different matter.

Edit: Okay. Calmwind is written as something that may actually be translated as Calmwind (kanji: wind - calm - star). Just... when it is read, there is an added "no" between the wind and the calm, making the wind an attribute to calm-star and leading to "Kaze no Nagihoshi", I think, "Calm Star of Winds". Other possibility: Kaze no Nagi is one unit, like an attributive sub-clause, describing the star/planet, leading to "Planet where the winds calm down/are calm".

Now, a quick overview of all the planets I remember... Order: JP reading/speaking - anime TL - literal TL

Umi no Akehoshi - Sea of the Morning Star - Sea-y Morning Star (Morning Star of the Sea)
Suna no Akahoshi - Sand of the Red Star - Sandy Red Star (Red Star of Sand)
Umi no Morihoshi - Sea of the Forest Star - Sea-y Forest Star (Forest Star of the Sea)
Kaze no Nagihoshi - Calmwind (other pattern: Wind of the Calm Star) - Windy Calm Star (Calm Star of Winds)

Last edited by Kadi; 2012-05-27 at 15:52.
Kadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-27, 16:53   Link #2750
Chiaki_chan
Kubo GO TO HELL

Good listen so there will be 2 Kane because I remember a sketch, or have seen the new character that a second Kane right among the new character and left with Marika and another there was "our" Kane we now know I do not know in that site I saw this sketch of the designer but I saw and I remember so now the question is for his "twin" did everything (take his place ect)
Old 2012-05-27, 17:14   Link #2751
00Coyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadi View Post
You got it all wrong: The real winner is Marika's hair stylist. Have you seen her hair stay in place during the drop from the space station? Wonders of science!
Marika's hair is one of the wonders of the universe, a simple orbital drop like that has no effect on its awesomeness.
00Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-27, 17:40   Link #2752
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadi View Post
Spoiler for Two Kanes!?!:
Still plotholes remain. If there were two Kane's, where was the real Kane during episode 20? He would have no reason to leave the Bentenmaru, so he'd be on board. Why did Kane send the second Kane instead of going himself like he promised the girls the episode before that? Heck, where did this second Kane come from? What's his purpose in the story?

Why didn't he know about the weapon? He did, he was just trying to deny it. Note how he quickly "remembered" exactly what it was when push came to shove. Plus, in episode 20 they pretty much say it's Kane's idea.

Who did Kane call? The Bentenmaru, to tell them to ready while he made a dash for the ship. The scene switch between Coach Kane/Helmsman Kane itself is a flashback with a time-lapse. A common editing technique.

Two Kane's introduce more plotholes than one Kane. I'm sticking with one Kane for now.

Last edited by Keroko; 2012-05-27 at 18:38.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-27, 18:33   Link #2753
Kadi
知識の探求者

One Kane will make too many scenes go to waste.

He knew the weapon, of course. But if you follow the conversation you will see he just didn't know what "that time" was about, which is the only reason he couldn't identify the weapon. When Marika told him to stop playing dumb, he was still confused. Confusion lifted only once Schintzer had the weapon ready. Need I continue?

Too lazy for the others ~~

Also. the second Kane is Kane's brother, Shane. He can be seen on the concept art posted on page 105. He's been mentioned a few times though, even on this page.

Now (completely unrelated... or not), mark my words: The ship coming out of subspace at the end of the preview is the Parabellum.
Kadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-27, 19:10   Link #2754
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

*scrolls back to page 105* Right, noted. That now leaves more plotholes, like where the hell was Kane during the training episode 20 where the blast was fired, or why he didn't go do the training himself (yet still responded to being called "coach" by Ai without hesitation).

Perhaps next episode will fill these...

Last edited by Keroko; 2012-05-27 at 20:22.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-28, 02:46   Link #2755
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Has it not occurred to you all that Kane is playing dumb? Hence why he doesn't get at first what Marika is talking about.

You see Michael Westen and Sam Axe always looking clueless every episode of Burn Notice, until it's time to get dangerous.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-28, 03:11   Link #2756
gaiar31

Spoiler:
gaiar31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-28, 03:32   Link #2757
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Kane was too focused on steering and thus did not process the information even though his mouth was speaking. It happens to the best of us.

However, Kane responding to Coach in spite of all that chaos? Its his inner perv speaking having made a whole club of girls address him as a higher being. Nothing denies the inner perv.

@gaiar ...right.
Old 2012-05-28, 05:19   Link #2758
justpassingby

Miniskirt Space Pirates manga will start its serialization on June 2nd (Saturday) at NicoNico Seiga [source]
Asahi Comic Fantasy [link]
Asahi Publications official announcement [link]
Spoiler for at NicoNico Seiga:

Last edited by justpassingby; 2012-05-28 at 06:07. Reason: whoops I mean Saturday :P must be tired
justpassingby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-28, 06:04   Link #2759
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Minisuka is gaining ground! Soon nothing will stop pirates!
Old 2012-05-28, 06:09   Link #2760
justpassingby

I mean Saturday, not Friday. I am tired this evening
Let's see if the manga will follow closely the novel.

Edit: I was flipping Hoshi no Pilot novel, also by Sasamoto Yuuichi and illustrated by Suzuki Masahisa (one of Mopai mechanical designer), just to figure out which ship that Suzuki designed. I think those space shuttles are by him.

In the old days, when Sasamoto was writing ARIEL, Suzuki did churned out something like these
Tourist ship Battleship Orcus

<-- Sasamoto was high back then?

Last edited by justpassingby; 2012-05-28 at 06:30.
justpassingby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light novel adaptation, science fiction, seinen, yuri