AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2007-08-30, 22:06   Link #1
EdwardElricForever

I'm sorry but yet another question about playing fansubs properly on Tv!

Ok, so before I start, I just want to apologise for starting yet another thread about this issue. I have read through everything I can find about it on these forums but I still have some new questions of my own that I would like to ask to put my mind at ease so please don't hate me

So, obviously my problem is that the edges of my episodes are being cut off when I play burnt DVDs of fansubbed animes on my TV.

The only way I have been able to get around this problem for the most part is by converting the episodes into widescreen using “Winavi video converter” burning them and playing them back in widescreen on the TV. This saves me the top and bottom of the picture but the sides are still missing parts and the episodes are disproportioned in widescreen which looks bad.

I go about burning my fansubs to DVD by converting the avi files to vob files using Winavi and Nero 7 Ultra Edition/Nero Burning ROM/DVD video to burn them. I am able to fit 7 episodes per disk no problem and the TV is a Song Grand Vega with JVC Region free DVD player.

I have tired to use Ulead Video Studio 10 to burn them that didn’t work either. How come when I use Winavi or Ulead the preview of what I'm doing with the episodes show the subtitles fine? Is this perfectly normal because they are still on the PC?

I have also tried to use the Zoom feature on the DVD player and all of the aspect settings on the TV and player have been adjusted accordingly but still no luck.

So basically, in the long run, what I am trying ask is whether or not am I right in assuming that after all of this, the ONLY way I am ever going to get around this problem is to re-encode my episodes using TMPGEnc? If this is the case, please please could someone point out the best (and simplest to fallow ^^;; ) guide out there so I can take a shot at it?

I've also herd that Song Vegas is capable of re-encoding the files! Is this true? I have Vegas 7 but I haven't been able to figure out how to burn DVDs yet and I got completely lost when trying to find out if this is possible so please could someone also point me out a guide to this?

Oh dear, I’ll round this up fast as this posts getting very long. So with a Divx DVD player, all you have to do is burn your episodes to DVD using Nero or something and play them on the DVD player? The full picture will be shown with none of the edges missing? How do I find out if my fansubbed series are Divx?

Well, looks likes I’ve gone on for to long lol but I really hope someone is able to set my mind straight on this issue Thank you
EdwardElricForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-30, 22:31   Link #2
guess

Have you tried what the thread here says? That is what I used before I downgraded to Vista.

One more thing, since you are using Sony Vegas 7, does it do video editing? How does it fare when compared to Adobe priemere? Thanks.
Old 2007-08-31, 02:23   Link #3
jpwong

What you need to do is encode a 5% border onto each side of your videos since you're being hit by overscan.

Your TV cuts off around 5% of the the video steam on each side, and fansubs don't take that into account since they're ussually made for computer playback.
Old 2007-08-31, 07:20   Link #4
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I don't use Windows so I can't tell you how to accomplish this task with the software you have available. However, I've rescaled a number of shows so they play on my standard 4:3 NTSC television. For anime in the 4:3 aspect ratio (mostly older shows these days) rescale to 576x432; for HD shows in the 16:9 ratio rescale to 576x324. Then use the software to drop these videos onto a 640x480 black box. You might need to tweak these dimensions a bit depending on your television.

(I use mencoder in Linux to accomplish this; it does the entire task in a single step using the "scale" and "expand" filters. There is a version of mencoder for Windows as well, but it's a command-line program, not one with a graphical user interface. There are a number of graphical "front-ends" on the page I linked to, but I don't know if any of them are for Windows.)
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-31, 13:06   Link #5
EdwardElricForever

Thank you Thank you so much for your help guys

In all my searches I hadn't actually found guest's link so thank you for posting it!

I read through everything and it seems to be very simple to do.

I think I am going to try and use TMPEnc to do this instead of "Queue for Encoding" as that seems really complicated ^^;;

I already have TMPEnc 2.5 installed on my PC which I tried to use ages ago but it wouldn't do what I wanted (apparently) so I am going to see if I can get ahold of this new one.

Thanks again
EdwardElricForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-01, 11:48   Link #6
guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardElricForever View Post
Thank you Thank you so much for your help guys

In all my searches I hadn't actually found guest's link so thank you for posting it!

I read through everything and it seems to be very simple to do.

I think I am going to try and use TMPEnc to do this instead of "Queue for Encoding" as that seems really complicated ^^;;

I already have TMPEnc 2.5 installed on my PC which I tried to use ages ago but it wouldn't do what I wanted (apparently) so I am going to see if I can get ahold of this new one.

Thanks again
Urr...if I remember correctly, isn't doing this "Queue for Encoding" essential for this to work? TMPEGnc is just a tool to make your final product to DVD format. I think I used to use Nero for that in stead of TMPEGnc. But to make sure that TV doesn't overscan your video clip, hence to keep the subtitles, you have to do "Queue for Encoding" to draw a "safty zone" and to include susbtitles in it so the TV will keep it.

Maybe I am wrong but if you can't make it work, this might be something to think about for trouble shooting.
Old 2007-09-01, 21:30   Link #7
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest View Post
you have to do "Queue for Encoding" to draw a "safty zone" and to include susbtitles in it so the TV will keep it.
That's the 640x480 black box I was talking about before into which the scaled video frame is dropped. guest's advice applies if you have softsubs. Hardsubs don't present the same problem since they're scaled within the video frame.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote