AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Fairy Tail

Notices

Old 2010-09-27, 14:49   Link #2121
mechalord
Deploying Funnel Cakes

The premise of the franchise would permit for better filler arcs than other series. They could even focus on the characters of the guild that don't get much of the spotlight. .. the supporting cast.

The writers don't really have to be constrained by much as the overarching storyline isn't ironed out and the setting is a peaceful country where guilds are free agent law enforcement.

Demons constantly cross over to steel cows. Bank robberies still take place. Minor super villains still scheme away. There are still ruins filled with mummies and other undead.

Anyhow... episode 49, the fateful encounter. I wonder if the writer screwed up his chronology. Episode 49 is a mean flash forward and when the main storyline resumes it's a mean flash backwards.
mechalord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-27, 14:53   Link #2122
Simonsy

[QUOTE=Slayerx;3267932]
Spoiler for 48:
i took laxus actions not to be make fairy tail stronger. his real motives were hidden behind that front.

he really just wanted to be noticed, and not be seen as always "makarov's grandson"

he always felt that no matter how strong he got or anything he did, everyone always went "oh thats to be expected, he is makarov's grandson afterall" like he could never get out of his shadow. all his accomplishments were his grandpa's doing.
Simonsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-27, 15:00   Link #2123
dahak
Utu Class Planetoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
Anyway, for those familiar with the manga, if I wanted to continue reading from where the anime left off, which volume and chapter should I start at? Feel free to PM or VM me with suggestions, as well as any previous manga bits you feel might be worth reading (either stuff left out, or things that you think were more awesome in the manga than anime).
I'd start with the chapter 161 Special Welcome to Fairy Hills. Then go back and start from the very beginning, if you have the time to spare.
dahak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-27, 15:05   Link #2124
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Spoiler for 48:

Quote:
I'd start with the chapter 161 Special Welcome to Fairy Hills. Then go back and start from the very beginning, if you have the time to spare.
Seconded, the manga has its own touch, plus you'll refresh what little plot has been explored so far, so it will be easier to follow later on.
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-27, 15:14   Link #2125
DmonHiro

Send a message via Yahoo to DmonHiro
Is anyone else loving how Gajeel keeps on protecting and interacting with Levi?
DmonHiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-27, 15:39   Link #2126
mechalord
Deploying Funnel Cakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by DmonHiro View Post
He looks like Vegeta and she has blue hair like Bulma. Hmm... where is this going? Total opposites.
mechalord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-27, 17:05   Link #2127
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerx View Post
Spoiler for 48:
There's actually a term for it: cognitive dissonance.

The ability for someone to hold two conflicting ideas in their head. A way to justify two opposing viewpoints in their head in what the subject perceives as a rational manner (but really isn't). We humans do this all the time, ie, "To save the village we must destroy it."

So, I felt they did a good enough job explaining his motivations. He loved Fairy Tail, and yet hated what it had become. In his mind, he wanted the guild to be something that wasn't the subject of tabloids. He cared for everyone so much, he wanted to control them to make them something better. And if they wouldn't change, he would eliminate them... for their own good, and the good of everyone else.

Cognitive dissonance.

The master has to retire sometime (or die in some manner where he saves everyone), so I've been thinking about who may take over. I was actually seeing some good in Laxus at the end there, so was wondering what the possibility of him changing enough that he comes back to save Fairy Tail and ends up becoming the new head. He doesn't quite fit as a possible leader in my mind yet, but no one else does, really, either, so I'm looking forward to seeing how his character develops.

Edit: Thanks for all the manga chapter suggestions, heh. I just might start from the beginning and read all the way through. It would help relieve my boredom lately by giving me even more to do, heh.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-27, 17:48   Link #2128
kitten320

Quote:
Originally Posted by DmonHiro View Post
It's actually funny, considering how he tried to kill her before.

Spoiler for 48:
Old 2010-09-27, 17:52   Link #2129
DmonHiro

Send a message via Yahoo to DmonHiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
It's actually funny, considering how he tried to kill her before.
I don't think so. If he wanted to kill her, she'd be dead. There was nothing stopping him from killing all three in the phantom arc.
DmonHiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-27, 17:54   Link #2130
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Yeah he didn't try to kill Levi back in the phantom arc. Just wound her enough to leave a message.
Old 2010-09-27, 18:06   Link #2131
amjzz

The next filler will have to change something about the manga if they want to avoid the plothole.

The part of lucy "birthday".

Its not really a spoiler since the episode is basically a filler, but if they add that they will create a plothole with the actual manga arc.
amjzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-27, 19:18   Link #2132
Slayerx

Some things were indeed poorly handled in this episode... i thought the segway to Ignell was alright since it came after a hard fought Natsu victory, but Urtear came really out of nowhere... honestly they probably should have squeezed that bit of dialouge into the next time we see her

Also wasn't too fond of the gajeel double agent scene... namely that it was much more downplayed; it felt too casual... Where as in the manga it felt really heavy and serious

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechalord View Post
He looks like Vegeta and she has blue hair like Bulma. Hmm... where is this going? Total opposites.
i do agree that Gajeel is pretty much the vegeta of fairy tail...

however, after thinking a bit TOO MUCH about it, GajeelXLevi would make for a much better pairing than VegetaXBulma... I mean honestly, Vegeta and Bulma not only ha nothing going for the two of them, but at the point of their relationship "started" vegeta was little more than an unapologetic, selfish, mass murderer; what there hell is their to possibly like?... Gajeel however has pretty much been making a real effort at change; letting D'Roy and Jet beat the crap out of him is pretty much like an awkward apology, and he also goes further by saving Levi, and seriously helping the guild... If any ship does sail for those two it will atleast come AFTER Gajeel has reformed himself; unlike Vegeta who i did not feel he had anything decent in him for a LONG time after freeza. really that pairing was crudely forced together just like GokuXChiChi just because Toriyama wanted baby saiyans but didn't actually know how to write a relationship

Oh and i think another thing that helps Gajeel is the fact that is past sins only really include injuries and no confirmed deaths as far as we know... while Vegeta has slaughtered entire planets...
Slayerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-27, 21:15   Link #2133
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Wow Natsu dragon rawr was awesome
Erza as a belly dancer even better then gothic lolita
Old 2010-09-28, 00:55   Link #2134
espeon

Send a message via ICQ to espeon Send a message via MSN to espeon
Was it just me or did most the girls during the parade have larger breasts then normal. :P Though I do love the draw style of this series.
espeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-28, 01:37   Link #2135
Simonsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by espeon View Post
Was it just me or did most the girls during the parade have larger breasts then normal. :P Though I do love the draw style of this series.
well lots of girls in this series are huge so its to be expected, but was a bit like wtf at times like in their gaps. like levi they made flat as a board, while others seemed way larger than normal

well not sure if i want to type this since it might ruin a lot of you for a good time so i'll put it in a spoiler. and maybe its just me and you guys won't see it at all, but just incase you don't want erza ruined for you, don't open

Spoiler:
Simonsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-28, 04:19   Link #2136
VEE

Send a message via MSN to VEE
So gonna wait till Wendy show up. She has a great VA after all.

I don't quite like this episode~ i think the parade is a bit awkward.
VEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-28, 11:34   Link #2137
Kafriel
Senior Guest

I think the parade is one of the parts that anime are meant to shine at: they got movement, music and colour, all the things the manga couldn't produce.
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-28, 12:33   Link #2138
dahak
Utu Class Planetoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
He doesn't quite fit as a possible leader in my mind yet, but no one else does, really, either, so I'm looking forward to seeing how his character develops.
Mirajane's been doing most of the work and has the magical ability to back it up.

I suspect long run it is going to be Erza or Lucy though. I can't see Natsu growing in to it.

Grey doesn't seem interested in leading and that makes the next best choice Levi.

Of course given how badly wrong some things have been they could end up with a troika of Happy, Elfman and Gerard. Or Ultear.
dahak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-28, 13:42   Link #2139
Slayerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
I think the parade is one of the parts that anime are meant to shine at: they got movement, music and colour, all the things the manga couldn't produce.
keyword being "meant"...
Really i think the parade was just too poorly animated... namely instead of feeling lively, exciting and fun, it felt more like a series of character poses with some animation in between... sure this kind of stuff is typical of anime, but sometimes you do expect a little more.
Slayerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-28, 18:40   Link #2140
Mecha_Trueno
餓鬼に興味ない、俺の好みは年上の美女だ

Location: Shitty old London. They must've been on drugs when they built this place, WTF were they smoking!!!
I wanna marry Elza! (despite my user title message)

禁則事項です

Last edited by Mecha_Trueno; 2010-09-28 at 20:09.
Mecha_Trueno is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, adventure, fantasy, shounen